Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default lunch today

Saw this recipe at the supermarket beside the asparagus and decided to
make it for lunch today. Not much bother to make and a nice flavour.
I left out the celery as I don't care for it and threw in some spring
onions instead.

Spring Asparagus Soup

1lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
1 carrot diced
2 stalks celery diced
4 cups chicken broth
Squeeze of lemon juice
½ cup finely diced Smoked Ham
1tsp salt - pepper to taste
2 tbsp of sour cream

Heat oven to 400deg. Spread asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle
with olive oil. Roast on lower rack of oven until fragrant and lightly
browned, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add
onion, carrot and celery, saute 5 minutes without browning.
Cut roasted asparagus into 2 inch lengths and add to saucepan along
with chicken stock and lemon. Simmer until vegetables are tender,
about 10 minutes. Meanwhile saute ham in a small skillet until
slightly crisp. Set aside.
Puree soup with hand held blender, or place in small amounts in
blender until smooth. Return to saucepan, season with salt and pepper
and warm until heated through. Transfer soup to bowls and garnish
with sour cream and ham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Saw this recipe at the supermarket beside the asparagus and decided to
> make it for lunch today. Not much bother to make and a nice flavour.
> I left out the celery as I don't care for it and threw in some spring
> onions instead.
>
> Spring Asparagus Soup
>
> 1lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
> 1 tbsp olive oil
> 1 onion diced
> 1 carrot diced
> 2 stalks celery diced
> 4 cups chicken broth
> Squeeze of lemon juice
> ? cup finely diced Smoked Ham
> 1tsp salt - pepper to taste
> 2 tbsp of sour cream
>
> Heat oven to 400deg. Spread asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle
> with olive oil. Roast on lower rack of oven until fragrant and lightly
> browned, about 10 minutes.
> Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add
> onion, carrot and celery, saute 5 minutes without browning.
> Cut roasted asparagus into 2 inch lengths and add to saucepan along
> with chicken stock and lemon. Simmer until vegetables are tender,
> about 10 minutes. Meanwhile saute ham in a small skillet until
> slightly crisp. Set aside.
> Puree soup with hand held blender, or place in small amounts in
> blender until smooth. Return to saucepan, season with salt and pepper
> and warm until heated through. Transfer soup to bowls and garnish
> with sour cream and ham.

this sounds great! thanks for sharing

to my taste it will likely have plenty of flavor with just water instead
of chicken stock -- I'll give that a try and see how it works

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sounds tasty.

Cheri

> wrote in message
> Saw this recipe at the supermarket beside the asparagus and decided to
> make it for lunch today. Not much bother to make and a nice flavour.
> I left out the celery as I don't care for it and threw in some spring
> onions instead.
>
> Spring Asparagus Soup
>
> 1lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
> 1 tbsp olive oil
> 1 onion diced
> 1 carrot diced
> 2 stalks celery diced
> 4 cups chicken broth
> Squeeze of lemon juice
> ½ cup finely diced Smoked Ham
> 1tsp salt - pepper to taste
> 2 tbsp of sour cream
>
> Heat oven to 400deg. Spread asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle
> with olive oil. Roast on lower rack of oven until fragrant and lightly
> browned, about 10 minutes.
> Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add
> onion, carrot and celery, saute 5 minutes without browning.
> Cut roasted asparagus into 2 inch lengths and add to saucepan along
> with chicken stock and lemon. Simmer until vegetables are tender,
> about 10 minutes. Meanwhile saute ham in a small skillet until
> slightly crisp. Set aside.
> Puree soup with hand held blender, or place in small amounts in
> blender until smooth. Return to saucepan, season with salt and pepper
> and warm until heated through. Transfer soup to bowls and garnish
> with sour cream and ham.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:40:18 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

>> Saw this recipe at the supermarket beside the asparagus and decided to
>> make it for lunch today. Not much bother to make and a nice flavour.
>> I left out the celery as I don't care for it and threw in some spring
>> onions instead.
>>
>> Spring Asparagus Soup
>>
>> 1lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
>> 1 tbsp olive oil
>> 1 onion diced
>> 1 carrot diced
>> 2 stalks celery diced
>> 4 cups chicken broth
>> Squeeze of lemon juice
>> ? cup finely diced Smoked Ham
>> 1tsp salt - pepper to taste
>> 2 tbsp of sour cream
>>
>> Heat oven to 400deg. Spread asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle
>> with olive oil. Roast on lower rack of oven until fragrant and lightly
>> browned, about 10 minutes.
>> Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add
>> onion, carrot and celery, saute 5 minutes without browning.
>> Cut roasted asparagus into 2 inch lengths and add to saucepan along
>> with chicken stock and lemon. Simmer until vegetables are tender,
>> about 10 minutes. Meanwhile saute ham in a small skillet until
>> slightly crisp. Set aside.
>> Puree soup with hand held blender, or place in small amounts in
>> blender until smooth. Return to saucepan, season with salt and pepper
>> and warm until heated through. Transfer soup to bowls and garnish
>> with sour cream and ham.

>this sounds great! thanks for sharing
>
>to my taste it will likely have plenty of flavor with just water instead
>of chicken stock -- I'll give that a try and see how it works

If I did that I would probably sub in a little cream. It had a good
asparagusy taste anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:40:18 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

>>> Saw this recipe at the supermarket beside the asparagus and decided to
>>> make it for lunch today. Not much bother to make and a nice flavour.
>>> I left out the celery as I don't care for it and threw in some spring
>>> onions instead.
>>>
>>> Spring Asparagus Soup
>>>
>>> 1lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
>>> 1 tbsp olive oil
>>> 1 onion diced
>>> 1 carrot diced
>>> 2 stalks celery diced
>>> 4 cups chicken broth
>>> Squeeze of lemon juice
>>> ? cup finely diced Smoked Ham
>>> 1tsp salt - pepper to taste
>>> 2 tbsp of sour cream
>>>
>>> Heat oven to 400deg. Spread asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle
>>> with olive oil. Roast on lower rack of oven until fragrant and lightly
>>> browned, about 10 minutes.
>>> Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add
>>> onion, carrot and celery, saute 5 minutes without browning.
>>> Cut roasted asparagus into 2 inch lengths and add to saucepan along
>>> with chicken stock and lemon. Simmer until vegetables are tender,
>>> about 10 minutes. Meanwhile saute ham in a small skillet until
>>> slightly crisp. Set aside.
>>> Puree soup with hand held blender, or place in small amounts in
>>> blender until smooth. Return to saucepan, season with salt and pepper
>>> and warm until heated through. Transfer soup to bowls and garnish
>>> with sour cream and ham.

>>this sounds great! thanks for sharing
>>
>>to my taste it will likely have plenty of flavor with just water instead
>>of chicken stock -- I'll give that a try and see how it works
>>

> If I did that I would probably sub in a little cream. It had a good
> asparagusy taste anyway.

oh! I saw sour cream but read "cream" -- yes, absolutely cream should be
involved