Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch today

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
>A Philly Cheesesteak sandwich on whole grain bread...
> http://kajikit.wordpress.com/2009/08...teak-sandwich/

Mustard????

Whole grain bread?????

Sheesh.

It looks like a good sandwich (except for the mustard), but it isn't a
Philly cheese steak.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:28:43 -0500, "George Leppla"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>A Philly Cheesesteak sandwich on whole grain bread...
>>> http://kajikit.wordpress.com/2009/08...teak-sandwich/

>>Mustard????
>>
>>Whole grain bread?????
>>
>>Sheesh.
>>
>>It looks like a good sandwich (except for the mustard), but it isn't a
>>Philly cheese steak.
>>

> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

You are killing me. I love mustard but it has taken me a couple of years to
get used to seeing people in TX and LA putting it on hamburgers... and a few
weeks ago when my wife put it in a BLT I almost had a stroke. Mustard on a
Philly Cheese steak will surly put me into cardiac arrest.

A good cheese steak is made on a roll (preferably from Amoroso or the
Conshohocken bakery) which has a chewy crust and a soft inside. The soft
part soaks up the juice and the crust is tough enough to hold everything
together. Beef, fried onions and cheese (either American or Provolone).
Ok, some misguided people put fried green peppers on it, too... but there is
no accounting for taste. A purist would scoff at that.

Look at this... http://delishfood.files.wordpress.co...1/img_4960.jpg
or http://donnacooks.files.wordpress.co...6/img_2612.jpg

Except for the ones I have made myself, I haven't had a good cheese steak
since I moved away from PA over 3 years ago.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-24, Kajikit > wrote:

> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

Nope! Beef demands mayo and horseradish.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
sandwiches.

Not so much fish or chicken.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2009-08-24, Kajikit > wrote:
>
> > Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> Nope! Beef demands mayo and horseradish.
>
> nb

What is it with Horseradish?
I just don't see the appeal, but mom loved it.

Same for Arugula. I can't even stand the smell of it.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"George Leppla" > wrote:

> > Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> You are killing me. I love mustard but it has taken me a couple of years to
> get used to seeing people in TX and LA putting it on hamburgers... and a few
> weeks ago when my wife put it in a BLT I almost had a stroke. Mustard on a
> Philly Cheese steak will surly put me into cardiac arrest.
>
> A good cheese steak is made on a roll (preferably from Amoroso or the
> Conshohocken bakery) which has a chewy crust and a soft inside. The soft
> part soaks up the juice and the crust is tough enough to hold everything
> together. Beef, fried onions and cheese (either American or Provolone).
> Ok, some misguided people put fried green peppers on it, too... but there is
> no accounting for taste. A purist would scoff at that.
>
> Look at this... http://delishfood.files.wordpress.co...1/img_4960.jpg
> or http://donnacooks.files.wordpress.co...6/img_2612.jpg
>
> Except for the ones I have made myself, I haven't had a good cheese steak
> since I moved away from PA over 3 years ago.
>
> George L

I did not used to appreciate mustard at all either until recently. My
tastes have been changing.

I did not used to care for it at all, now I can't seem to get enough of
it. :-) I even served it with some smoked beef sausage over the weekend.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:14:17 -0500, "George Leppla"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Kajikit" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:28:43 -0500, "George Leppla"

m...

>>> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

>>You are killing me. I love mustard but it has taken me a couple of years
>>get used to seeing people in TX and LA putting it on hamburgers... and a
>>few
>>weeks ago when my wife put it in a BLT I almost had a stroke. Mustard on
>>Philly Cheese steak will surly put me into cardiac arrest.
>>
>>A good cheese steak is made on a roll (preferably from Amoroso or the
>>Conshohocken bakery) which has a chewy crust and a soft inside. The soft
>>part soaks up the juice and the crust is tough enough to hold everything
>>together. Beef, fried onions and cheese (either American or Provolone).
>>Ok, some misguided people put fried green peppers on it, too... but there
>>is
>>no accounting for taste. A purist would scoff at that.
>>
>>Look at this...
>>http://delishfood.files.wordpress.co...1/img_4960.jpg
>>or http://donnacooks.files.wordpress.co...6/img_2612.jpg
>>
>>Except for the ones I have made myself, I haven't had a good cheese steak
>>since I moved away from PA over 3 years ago.
>>
>>George L

> Okay! Apologies for the wrong bread then... you would have approved of
> DH's sandwich more - like I said, his was on a nice toasted white
> Cuban roll and it had more filling... but he demolished it in seconds!
> I made bread pudding today so I'd had a surfeit of white bread already
> and we don't have any non-white rolls!

I love the food here in the South..... but one thing I really miss is good
rolls. The stuff around here is too soft and the "artesian" breads are too
dry, crusty and expensive for sandwiches.

In Texas, many of the stores had Mexican "Bolillos" which were the closest
thing to a good hoagie/submarine/cheese steak roll.... but up here in
Shreveport, we haven't been able to find anything close to that.

I made an Italian sausage, peppers and onions sandwich last week using a
French Loaf. The bread was pretty good, but way too big for a sandwich and
I ended up eating most of it with a fork.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> A good cheese steak is made on a roll (preferably from Amoroso or the
> Conshohocken bakery) which has a chewy crust and a soft inside. The soft
> part soaks up the juice and the crust is tough enough to hold everything
> together. Beef, fried onions and cheese (either American or Provolone).
> Ok, some misguided people put fried green peppers on it, too... but there
> is no accounting for taste. A purist would scoff at that.
>
> Look at this...
> http://delishfood.files.wordpress.co...1/img_4960.jpg or
> http://donnacooks.files.wordpress.co...6/img_2612.jpg

That's the way I like them. But my addition is (and you're going to go into
heart failure) mayonaise. Just a little. No peppers, just the onions, and
a little lettice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message

> Okay! Apologies for the wrong bread then... you would have approved of
> DH's sandwich more - like I said, his was on a nice toasted white
> Cuban roll and it had more filling... but he demolished it in seconds!
> I made bread pudding today so I'd had a surfeit of white bread already
> and we don't have any non-white rolls!

All food is good if it's made the way you like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>

>> A good cheese steak is made on a roll (preferably from Amoroso or the
>> Conshohocken bakery) which has a chewy crust and a soft inside. The soft
>> part soaks up the juice and the crust is tough enough to hold everything
>> together. Beef, fried onions and cheese (either American or Provolone).
>> Ok, some misguided people put fried green peppers on it, too... but there
>> is no accounting for taste. A purist would scoff at that.
>>
>> Look at this...
>> http://delishfood.files.wordpress.co...1/img_4960.jpg or
>> http://donnacooks.files.wordpress.co...6/img_2612.jpg
>>

> That's the way I like them. But my addition is (and you're going to go
> into heart failure) mayonaise. Just a little. No peppers, just the
> onions, and a little lettice.

WHAT? A cheesesteak MUST have mayo!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>

>> A good cheese steak is made on a roll (preferably from Amoroso or the
>> Conshohocken bakery) which has a chewy crust and a soft inside. The soft
>> part soaks up the juice and the crust is tough enough to hold everything
>> together. Beef, fried onions and cheese (either American or Provolone).
>> Ok, some misguided people put fried green peppers on it, too... but there
>> is no accounting for taste. A purist would scoff at that.
>>
>> Look at this...
>> http://delishfood.files.wordpress.co...1/img_4960.jpg or
>> http://donnacooks.files.wordpress.co...6/img_2612.jpg
>>

> That's the way I like them. But my addition is (and you're going to go
> into heart failure) mayonaise. Just a little. No peppers, just the
> onions, and a little lettice.

I know a place in PA that does this. Takes a cheese steak, adds mayo,
lettuce and tomato and calls it a cheese steak hoagie. I tried one once and
it wasn't too bad.

I'll try damn near anything once.... except mustard on a BLT. <vbg>

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> That's the way I like them. But my addition is (and you're going to go
> into heart failure) mayonaise. Just a little. No peppers, just the
> onions, and a little lettice.

I guess my spell check went on vacation today. Do you ever type what you
know is wrong just to hope the spell check catches it? lol I think
mayonnaise and lettuce are in the email dictionary. ))

(funny addition: when I clicked on the spell check icon, Window Mail told me
"this language is no longer available for spell checking. Please select
another in the spelling options dialog"). If this is true, there will be
many misspelled words from me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote

> All food is good if it's made the way you like it.

Preeee cisely. All opinionated status-seeking dickheads to the contrary.
Yes, I mean ****wiliger, who proves again and again that it is infinitely
better to have a c*nt than to be one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>>> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

>> Nope! Beef demands mayo and horseradish.

> What is it with Horseradish?
> I just don't see the appeal, but mom loved it.
>
> Same for Arugula. I can't even stand the smell of it.

Now that you mention it, arugula would have been pretty good on Kajikit's
sandwich.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
> sandwiches.
>
> Not so much fish or chicken.

Thomas Keller and Hubert Keller both disagree with you. Thomas Keller says
that a mild mustard is the perfect condiment for a roasted chicken. Hubert
Keller pairs mustard with salmon routinely.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:16:45 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-08-24, Kajikit > wrote:
>
>> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> Nope! Beef demands mayo and horseradish.
>
> nb

i would also prefer mayonnaise and horseradish on beef to mustard.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 1:28*pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:
> "Kajikit" > wrote in message

> >A Philly Cheesesteak sandwich on whole grain bread...
> >http://kajikit.wordpress.com/2009/08...teak-sandwich/

> Mustard????
>
> Whole grain bread?????
>
> Sheesh.
>
> It looks like a good sandwich (except for the mustard), but it isn't a
> Philly cheese steak.

No doubt, then to yammer on about it on a blog and Usenet, it's a
****in' sammich, get over yourself! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

> "Kajikit" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:28:43 -0500, "George Leppla"
>> > wrote:

>>>Mustard????
>>>
>>>Whole grain bread?????
>>>
>>>Sheesh.
>>>
>>>It looks like a good sandwich (except for the mustard), but it isn't a
>>>Philly cheese steak.
>>>

>> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> You are killing me. I love mustard but it has taken me a couple of years
> to get used to seeing people in TX and LA putting it on hamburgers... and
> a few weeks ago when my wife put it in a BLT I almost had a stroke.
> Mustard on a Philly Cheese steak will surly put me into cardiac arrest.
>
> A good cheese steak is made on a roll (preferably from Amoroso or the
> Conshohocken bakery) which has a chewy crust and a soft inside. The soft
> part soaks up the juice and the crust is tough enough to hold everything
> together. Beef, fried onions and cheese (either American or Provolone).
> Ok, some misguided people put fried green peppers on it, too... but there
> is no accounting for taste. A purist would scoff at that.
>
> Look at this...
> http://delishfood.files.wordpress.co...1/img_4960.jpg or
> http://donnacooks.files.wordpress.co...6/img_2612.jpg

George,
Take a baby aspirin and chill, dude! :-)

I've been putting mustard (and ketchup) on my cheese steaks or years, and
I've lived in Philly all my life. I even know people who put mayo on it.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 25, 3:33*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Om wrote:
> >> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> > I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
> > sandwiches.

> > Not so much fish or chicken.

> Thomas Keller and Hubert Keller both disagree with you. Thomas Keller says
> that a mild mustard is the perfect condiment for a roasted chicken. Hubert
> Keller pairs mustard with salmon routinely.

Rub mustard of your choice all over chicken thighs, then grill.
Nothing more needs to be done. Delicious. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo said...

> I've been putting mustard (and ketchup) on my cheese steaks or years, and
> I've lived in Philly all my life. I even know people who put mayo on it.

I put Dijon on cold leftover breakfast cheesesteak to bring some life back
into them.

Pizza or chicken cheesesteaks are a nice change of pace once in awhile.

I have seen some amazing kitchen-sink cheesesteak hoagies!!! <shudders>

In my beginning of life in Philly, my Sis-IL made me my first cheesesteak
at her sportsbar in Yeadon, PA. I reached for the ketchup and she slapped
my hand, saying (in my face), "A great cheesesteak doesn't need
ketchup!!!" I wised up instantly. She didn't offer me a choice of cheeses,
just using American cheese. It was so delicious, I immediately followed it
up with a second one.

I ate so many cheesesteaks that after only a few months of overdoing a good
thing, I grew sick of them. They're more a special treat maybe a handful of
times during the year.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:39:24 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Kajikit > wrote:
> >
> >> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> >I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
> >sandwiches.
> >
> >Not so much fish or chicken.

> Mustard and fish - ewwww! It's nice enough with chicken... but it's
> really good with beef. Lamb is great with chutney. And chutney's yummy
> with beef too for that matter...
>
> I do not like the taste of plain beef by itself. It has to have a
> tomatoey and/or spicy and/or mustardy element to give it depth of
> flavour...

You could probably go with just a little ketchup then. <eg>

I generally bring a steak up to room temp, evenly smear a little brag's
liquid aminos, or soy sauce, or oyster sauce over it then sprinkle it
with salt free lemon pepper.

Let sit for a few minutes, then grill or pan fry in a very hot pan of
Grape seed oil.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

> > I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
> > sandwiches.
> >
> > Not so much fish or chicken.

> Thomas Keller and Hubert Keller both disagree with you. Thomas Keller says
> that a mild mustard is the perfect condiment for a roasted chicken. Hubert
> Keller pairs mustard with salmon routinely.
>
> Bob

To each his own as always. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Aug 25, 3:33*am, "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die spammer.biz>
> wrote:

> > > I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
> > > sandwiches.

> > > Not so much fish or chicken.

> > Thomas Keller and Hubert Keller both disagree with you. Thomas Keller says
> > that a mild mustard is the perfect condiment for a roasted chicken. Hubert
> > Keller pairs mustard with salmon routinely.
> >

> Rub mustard of your choice all over chicken thighs, then grill.
> Nothing more needs to be done. Delicious. -aem

Okay I'm still exploring mustard as a marinade. ;-)
I was talking about straight on a sandwich.

It's a new condiment for me! I used to hate it.
My tastes are changing as I age, faster than my glasses Rx...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Om wrote:
>
>>> Every good meat sandwich demands mustard, but especially beef.

>> I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
>> sandwiches.
>>
>> Not so much fish or chicken.

> Thomas Keller and Hubert Keller both disagree with you. Thomas Keller says
> that a mild mustard is the perfect condiment for a roasted chicken. Hubert
> Keller pairs mustard with salmon routinely.

And Helen Keller says "Nu ddoan wannaaa pud noe mussid onna feesh."

George L <-- the Devil made me do it and yes, I know I'm going to Hell

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

>>> I somewhat agree, but I think mustard compliments pork, or even egg
>>> sandwiches.
>>>
>>> Not so much fish or chicken.

>> Thomas Keller and Hubert Keller both disagree with you. Thomas Keller
>> says that a mild mustard is the perfect condiment for a roasted
>> chicken. Hubert Keller pairs mustard with salmon routinely.

> And Helen Keller says "Nu ddoan wannaaa pud noe mussid onna feesh."
>
> George L <-- the Devil made me do it and yes, I know I'm going to Hell

I'll save you a seat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> George Leppla wrote:

> >> Thomas Keller and Hubert Keller both disagree with you. Thomas Keller
> >> says that a mild mustard is the perfect condiment for a roasted
> >> chicken. Hubert Keller pairs mustard with salmon routinely.

> > And Helen Keller says "Nu ddoan wannaaa pud noe mussid onna feesh."
> >
> > George L <-- the Devil made me do it and yes, I know I'm going to Hell

> I'll save you a seat.

Hell would never let you in Kathleen. They'd be afraid you'd take over.
<g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>

>> > And Helen Keller says "Nu ddoan wannaaa pud noe mussid onna feesh."
>> >
>> > George L <-- the Devil made me do it and yes, I know I'm going to
>> > Hell

>> I'll save you a seat.

> Hell would never let you in Kathleen. They'd be afraid you'd take
> over. <g>

I'll have to send her my old t-shirt that says "Heaven doesn't want me, and
hell's afraid I'll take over" ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/lxoxff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
PeterL2 > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >

> >> I'll save you a seat.

> > Hell would never let you in Kathleen. They'd be afraid you'd take
> > over. <g>

> I'll have to send her my old t-shirt that says "Heaven doesn't want me, and
> hell's afraid I'll take over" ;-)
>

> http://tinyurl.com/lxoxff

Which means you get to be immortal. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>

>>George Leppla wrote:
>>

>>>"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>And Helen Keller says "Nu ddoan wannaaa pud noe mussid onna feesh."
>>>
>>>George L <-- the Devil made me do it and yes, I know I'm going to Hell

>>I'll save you a seat.

> Hell would never let you in Kathleen. They'd be afraid you'd take over.
> <g>

'Tis better to rule in Hell than to travel abroad with Michel Boucher.

"SHHH! Don't ask where the bathroom is! Do you want them to figure out
you're not from around here? It's only 8 more days, you can hold it!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:59:31 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Zeppo said...
>
>> I've been putting mustard (and ketchup) on my cheese steaks or years, and
>> I've lived in Philly all my life. I even know people who put mayo on it.

> I put Dijon on cold leftover breakfast cheesesteak to bring some life back
> into them.

cold leftover cheesesteak! yum!

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Kathleen > wrote:

>>>I'll save you a seat.

>> Hell would never let you in Kathleen. They'd be afraid you'd take over.
>> <g>

> 'Tis better to rule in Hell than to travel abroad with Michel Boucher.
>
> "SHHH! Don't ask where the bathroom is! Do you want them to figure out
> you're not from around here? It's only 8 more days, you can hold it!"

lolol

Posted to rec.food.cooking