Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old Lady lunch today

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 07:09:49 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-08-12 6:51 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 6:07:52 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I had more cucumber in the fridge that I thought so I made some open
>>> face cucumber sandwiches. I had some nice sourdough whole wheat bread. I
>>> slathered it with cream cheese and topped them with some slices of
>>> cucumber that had been doused with vinegar. Topped the works with some
>>> chopped fresh dill. I am left wondering why it seems to be that only
>>> old ladies like cucumber sandwiches. They are delicious.

>> Old lady lunch? Ensure and prunes.
>>
>> FWIW, I had a few prunes yesterday. I'm fond of many kinds of
>> dried fruit (in moderation) as a snack. Lots of carbs, but
>> better than hitting the snack machine at the office for potato
>> chips.
>>

>I love prunes. I like them raw or stewed. I have also used pitted prunes
>to stuff pork chops braised in apple juice.

This is a good chicken, prunes and olives recipe. Marinating is
essential IMO.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/prune-and-olive-chicken/

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> A shame, he seems like a gentle man.

The hostages he left to rot in Iran may have other ideas...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-12 19:32, Bruce wrote:

>> I find that a bit unfair, not that I particularly cared for her, she
>> went places but was not one for making sure other women got a good
>> chance too.

> Didn't she do it on her own too?

Feminists hate to see a woman get ahead, especially when that woman is
not a feminist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:48:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> What did she do to you? Any damage she did, she did to her own country
>>> and to 2 sheep on the other side of the world.
>>>

>>About two weeks ago I watched the movie The Iron Lady. There are some
>>flashbacks to her early years in politics and her long time as prime
>>minister, but it is mostly about her physical and mental decline in old
>>age. It was a great movie.

> The consensus around me was that she single-handedly managed to reduce
> the British economy to the level of the Portuguese economy.

Then they would be wrong.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:35:22 +1000, Bruce > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:48:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>About two weeks ago I watched the movie The Iron Lady. There are some
>>>flashbacks to her early years in politics and her long time as prime
>>>minister, but it is mostly about her physical and mental decline in old
>>>age. It was a great movie.

>>The consensus around me was that she single-handedly managed to reduce
>>the British economy to the level of the Portuguese economy.

> I find that a bit unfair, not that I particularly cared for her, she
> went places but was not one for making sure other women got a good
> chance too.

She sorted out the unions which were wrecking this country.

And that is my last word on this subject. This is not a group for politics.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:28:51 +0800, JBurns >
> wrote:
>
>>>Not in my opinion - can't imagine eating french fries and bread but
>>>certainly bread and bacon go nicely

>>You should try it, but, you will have to find (or make) proper chips
>>not french fries.

>>The chips need to be thick cut, crispy on the outside and fluffy
>>inside and hot. The bread needs lots of butter. The best chips are
>>fried in animal fat, but I don't know anywhere to get them anymore.
>>
>>JB

> Need to make them oneself - I rarely eat chips and bread I keep in the
> freezer and take out slice by slice, it unfreezes very quickly,
> because it takes me a couple of weeks or more to finish a loaf. So I
> don't think I could handle a chip butty, sounds like it would go down
> well in ones teens

Yes well, D is hardly in his teens but he can't resist making one when I
make chips) I will wait and see what he does today. I am making (beer)
bratties with chips and sweetcorn. It is a favourite of his)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-great...andwich-247495

> a "Butty" is a sandwich made with thick cut bread slices or Bread bun.
>
> It's a Northern expression, in the South it would be more likely called
> a "Bacon Roll".

'Fraid not, we in the south call a sandwich a sarnie as in bacon sarnie.

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:54:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:24:45 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >>Small servings? Around here a single dessert can feed two easily, in
> >>fact four can share and not feel deprived.

> > It's a bad habit that came to us via the USA, we even call them US
> > portions. I don't like huge portions and if I know a place is doing
> > that then I simply order an appetizer and skip the main.

> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US. What
> is the reason for it?

I don't know. I do know that desserts come in those portions because
people usually won't order a dessert unless they share. As far as
massive main dish proportions, it varies wildly. Some restaurants
serve the right size, others go overboard. We never know what to
expect when we're on a car trip and eating in unfamiliar
establishments. We ran into massive portions at our first meal in Las
Vegas. I've already told that story, so I won't repeat myself.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, 12 August 2015 13:38:28 UTC+1, Saint George wrote:

>> > It's a french fry sandwich.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-great...andwich-247495

>> a "Butty" is a sandwich made with thick cut bread slices or Bread bun.
>>
>> It's a Northern expression, in the South it would be more likely called
>> a "Bacon Roll".

> 'Fraid not, we in the south call a sandwich a sarnie as in bacon sarnie.

Ahh we use that too Yorkies are cosmopolitan you know ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:54:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>> > It's a bad habit that came to us via the USA, we even call them US
>> > portions. I don't like huge portions and if I know a place is doing
>> > that then I simply order an appetizer and skip the main.

>> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
>> What
>> is the reason for it?
>> >

> I don't know. I do know that desserts come in those portions because
> people usually won't order a dessert unless they share. As far as
> massive main dish proportions, it varies wildly. Some restaurants
> serve the right size, others go overboard. We never know what to
> expect when we're on a car trip and eating in unfamiliar
> establishments. We ran into massive portions at our first meal in Las
> Vegas. I've already told that story, so I won't repeat myself.

Hmm not sure I would like that

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
>>> What
>>> is the reason for it?
>>> >

>> I don't know. I do know that desserts come in those portions because
>> people usually won't order a dessert unless they share. As far as
>> massive main dish proportions, it varies wildly. Some restaurants
>> serve the right size, others go overboard. We never know what to
>> expect when we're on a car trip and eating in unfamiliar
>> establishments. We ran into massive portions at our first meal in Las
>> Vegas. I've already told that story, so I won't repeat myself.
>>

> Hmm not sure I would like that

I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still bring
you a massive portion must you forgo it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still bring
> you a massive portion must you forgo it?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I'm often by myself and it's very annoying, especially at lunch time. It's almost impossible to get a light lunch anymore. The best bet seems to be a coffee bar where they will usually have snack sizes. Restaurants are impossible unless one has the will power to leave most of the food on the plate.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still
>> bring
>> you a massive portion must you forgo it?
>>

> I'm often by myself and it's very annoying, especially at lunch time.
> It's almost impossible to get a light lunch anymore. The best bet seems
> to be a coffee bar where they will usually have snack sizes. Restaurants
> are impossible unless one has the will power to leave most of the food on
> the plate.

What a waste

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2015 5:42 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 20:16:53 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 20:54:56 -0300, wrote:
>>
>>> bacon butty

>> Please lucretiaborgia, describe the bacon butty...

> Eat enough bacon and you'll get one too.

Have some bacon jam with that bacon butty-

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forum...7/m/1932939827

With pictures, recipe and no, I don't work for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 6:56:20 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US. What
> is the reason for it?

To make people feel like they're getting a lot for their money. The
cost of the raw materials is relatively small compared to other costs
(personnel, etc.), so it's a way of getting people to pay enough to
cover all of those costs while not spending very much to do so.

A lot of people are pleased when they can take home half (or more)
of their restaurant meal to eat the next day. Quite a few people
don't mind gorging; either they habitually do so or are willing
to make up for the calories in some other way (smaller lunch if
they're going out to dinner, extra time at the gym, etc.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:31:32 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> I am making (beer)
>bratties with chips and sweetcorn. It is a favourite of his)

Ophelia...please translate "bratties" to American English

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 12:24 AM, sf wrote:

>> I really like it. It seems to be making a comeback in restaurants around
>> here but I find it difficult to order a comfort food dessert that comes
>> in small servings with big prices.

> Small servings? Around here a single dessert can feed two easily, in
> fact four can share and not feel deprived.

That's the way it should be. I had it in a three course menu meal at a
Peruvian place in Toronto. I guess thought it was special because it was
made with croissants, which I will assume were day olds of the cheap
supermarket bakery croissants. It was about 2 inches square. I had it
a couple months ago at a new place in town and it wasn't much bigger. I
could have had pie for the same price and the serving would have been larger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:26:58 -0400, William > wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:31:32 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> > I am making (beer)
> >bratties with chips and sweetcorn. It is a favourite of his)

> Ophelia...please translate "bratties" to American English

Bratwurst, I think.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:53:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
> >> What
> >> is the reason for it?
> >> >

> > I don't know. I do know that desserts come in those portions because
> > people usually won't order a dessert unless they share. As far as
> > massive main dish proportions, it varies wildly. Some restaurants
> > serve the right size, others go overboard. We never know what to
> > expect when we're on a car trip and eating in unfamiliar
> > establishments. We ran into massive portions at our first meal in Las
> > Vegas. I've already told that story, so I won't repeat myself.
> >

> Hmm not sure I would like that

I know you don't like to share. I do, so it works for me.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:57:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "sf" > wrote in message

> >> I don't know. I do know that desserts come in those portions because
> >> people usually won't order a dessert unless they share. As far as
> >> massive main dish proportions, it varies wildly. Some restaurants
> >> serve the right size, others go overboard. We never know what to
> >> expect when we're on a car trip and eating in unfamiliar
> >> establishments. We ran into massive portions at our first meal in Las
> >> Vegas. I've already told that story, so I won't repeat myself.
> >>

> > Hmm not sure I would like that

> I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still bring
> you a massive portion must you forgo it?

Dessert? I wouldn't even think about ordering dessert unless I
intended it to be the meal.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 05:34:31 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still bring
> > you a massive portion must you forgo it?
> >

> I'm often by myself and it's very annoying, especially at lunch time. It's almost impossible to get a light lunch anymore. The best bet seems to be a coffee bar where they will usually have snack sizes. Restaurants are impossible unless one has the will power to leave most of the food on the plate.

When I'm familiar with the restaurants, it's easy enough to pick a
spot that serves reasonable portions or two of us split a plate we
both want if we know they're huge portions. Fortunately, where I live
the portions aren't gigantic (or maybe we've winnowed down where we
eat to restaurants that normal portions). Overhead is too high here
for them to overfill the plate and stay in business. I like the
places that will offer half portions, so a big eater gets his fill and
a smaller eater isn't overwhelmed by the amount of food. When I know
an appetizer portion is the same size as a dinner portion and I don't
want the other stuff they're putting on the plate, I order the
appetizer and a salad. If I'm lucky, there's still room for dessert.
We share dessert, no matter what size it is. Take affogato for
instance. Espresso and a scoop of ice cream/gelato. One person could
eat it, but we share.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 6:56:20 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US.
>> What
>> is the reason for it?

> To make people feel like they're getting a lot for their money. The
> cost of the raw materials is relatively small compared to other costs
> (personnel, etc.), so it's a way of getting people to pay enough to
> cover all of those costs while not spending very much to do so.

I see.

> A lot of people are pleased when they can take home half (or more)
> of their restaurant meal to eat the next day. Quite a few people
> don't mind gorging; either they habitually do so or are willing
> to make up for the calories in some other way (smaller lunch if
> they're going out to dinner, extra time at the gym, etc.)

Well ... none of those reasons ring any bells for me. I don't want to take
food home ... I rarely eat out anyway because I love to cook ... gorging??
Ugh.

Thanks though. I 'think' I can see why they do it but ... not for me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13, JBurns > wrote:

> Beat up 3 1/2 cups milk with four eggs, 1/3 cup sugar and a good
> splash of vanilla extract. Actually, I used 3 cups of milk and 1/2 cup
> thickened cream as I only had HiLo milk.

Sounds great. I'm looking to make a bread pudding from sourdough
bread. I think this calls for a dedicated thread.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:31:32 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> I am making (beer)
>>bratties with chips and sweetcorn. It is a favourite of his)

> Ophelia...please translate "bratties" to American English

I only know them by their German name 'Bratwurst' I don't know what you
call them

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:53:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I don't know. I do know that desserts come in those portions because
>> > people usually won't order a dessert unless they share. As far as
>> > massive main dish proportions, it varies wildly. Some restaurants
>> > serve the right size, others go overboard. We never know what to
>> > expect when we're on a car trip and eating in unfamiliar
>> > establishments. We ran into massive portions at our first meal in Las
>> > Vegas. I've already told that story, so I won't repeat myself.
>> >

>> Hmm not sure I would like that

> I know you don't like to share. I do, so it works for me.

What would you do if you were alone??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:57:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>> > Hmm not sure I would like that

>> I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still
>> bring
>> you a massive portion must you forgo it?

> Dessert? I wouldn't even think about ordering dessert unless I
> intended it to be the meal.

So, if you wanted both, something would have to give.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:58:12 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"William" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:31:32 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am making (beer)
>>>bratties with chips and sweetcorn. It is a favourite of his)

>> Ophelia...please translate "bratties" to American English
>>

>I only know them by their German name 'Bratwurst' I don't know what you
>call them

Thanks Ophelia! I don't know why we cannot called it what it is? Pork
Sausage. I have passed up good sausages in the market because they
have all sorts of wierd names, but; the government makes them list the
ingredients in order of highest percentage. If it starts with "pork",
I know it's good.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:36:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-08-13 6:29 AM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:07:33 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Feminists hate to see a woman get ahead, especially when that woman is
>>> not a feminist.

>> Dave that is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard, you are
>> equating feminists with male mentality!
>>

>Oh posh. The "feminists" carp about equal rights and glass ceilings and
>feel a need to band together in opposition to men to advance. Every once
>on a while we see women rise to the top without all the other baggage of
>the feminist movement and women and non supportive of them. Thatcher
>was a prime example. She got ahead by going head to head with men and
>ended up at Prime Minister of the UK and she had no time for the
>feminist movement.
>
>I have an aunt who was very successful in business and was was equally
>uninterested in feminism. She already owned her own business when she
>met my uncle and continued to run it and other business for years.

That's the key to success as a Capitalist Pig Dave! As long as you own
51% you are the BOSS whether or not you are in possession of a penis.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-13 9:22 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US. What
>> is the reason for it?

> To make people feel like they're getting a lot for their money. The
> cost of the raw materials is relatively small compared to other costs
> (personnel, etc.), so it's a way of getting people to pay enough to
> cover all of those costs while not spending very much to do so.

That seems to work for some people. Personally, I would rather have a
decent portion of good food that I can eat there, not a plate full
mediocre food that is mostly empty carbs and then take the rest home.

I think one of the few exceptions for me was Chinese place where we
often ate when working in the area. They had a dish call war bar that
had a chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, lots of vegetables and had a nice
zippy tank to it. I would have a nice supper with less than half of
that. I would bring the leftovers home and my wife and son would
re-heat the next night for supper. They would be disappointed if they
found out I hav\d been there and had something else.

> A lot of people are pleased when they can take home half (or more)
> of their restaurant meal to eat the next day. Quite a few people
> don't mind gorging; either they habitually do so or are willing
> to make up for the calories in some other way (smaller lunch if
> they're going out to dinner, extra time at the gym, etc.)

Let's face it, not everyone takes home the leftovers. There are a lot of
people, the kind of people who go to places with ginormous portions,
because they are going to stuff their faces and they aren't taking any
home. Look at the customers who frequent those places and you are bound
see a lot of obesity.

Lunch today cshenk General Cooking 2 12-06-2016 11:39 PM
lunch today [email protected] General Cooking 5 08-04-2016 09:20 PM
Lunch today Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 5 11-04-2010 08:26 AM
Lunch today George Leppla General Cooking 31 27-08-2009 05:21 AM
Hey jam lady (sometimes incorrectly called pickle lady) Chuck (in SC)[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-06-2007 04:55 PM