Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old Lady lunch today

sf wrote:

>>> Gorby had a bad handle on his economics.
>>>
>>> -- sf

>> They had minimal GDP, that fairly well doomed them.
>>
>> At that time CCCP was a very much minor oil player.
>>
>> Their strength was arms export.
>>
>> All facts.

> They were trying to build their oil exports, needed the money because
> you can only sell so many arms. The rug was pulled out from under
> them and they collapsed.

Not by us, our oil production at the time was severely impinged by the
Saudis over-pumping.

But we did SDI them to the poor house, a GOOD thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-15 10:36 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:22:20 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-14 10:24 PM, sf wrote:
>>

>>> I wish I had a memory like that. My SIL claims that there used to be
>>> horse drawn milk carts here in the late 50's, but I missed it by a
>>> very few years.

>> The city next to my town had horse drawn milk carts into the mid 70s.
>>

> So it was a city thing? How was your milk delivered?

When I was a kid in Toronto in the early 50s there were horse drawn milk
and bread wagons. We moved to a small town in 1953 and they were
delivered by truck. We moved to St.Catharines in 1964 and had a milk
truck... no bread delivery, but Thorold and Welland had horse drawn milk
wagons. I had a summer job in Welland in the 1971 and 72 and when I was
going through the city on my way to work at about 6:30 am I would see
the milk wagon plodding along.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> We still had a Dr who made house calls back in the '60s too, but we
> lived in the sticks. We did have home milk delivery by conventional
> motorized milk truck in the '50's. Maybe one of the reasons it way by
> motorized vehicle was this.http://oi62.tinypic.com/35k29hc.jpg
>
> --

WOW!

Now that's some serious snowfall!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2015 9:57 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> lucretia wrote:
>>>
>>> I like onions with lots of flavour, can't understand why people like
>>> those Vidalia onions.

>> I agree with you. I like sharp onions not the wussie mild ones.
>> I often double or even triple the amount of onion that any
>> recipe calls for too. I like them that much.

> Sweet onions are for eating raw, not for cooking... Vidalias are great
> for salads.

They work well in cooking but not if you're expecting a really strong
taste. Probably quite nice in salads, too. It sounds like the folks
who dislike them expected them to taste like sharp onions.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2015 10:36 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:22:20 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-14 10:24 PM, sf wrote:
>>

>>> I wish I had a memory like that. My SIL claims that there used to be
>>> horse drawn milk carts here in the late 50's, but I missed it by a
>>> very few years.

>> The city next to my town had horse drawn milk carts into the mid 70s.
>>

> So it was a city thing? How was your milk delivered?

Last horse drawn milk wagon was pre-1960. Then it was all trucks, the
step van. Vaguely remember the ice man about 1950 or so, still
delivering in some of the older neighborhoods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-15 1:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Last horse drawn milk wagon was pre-1960. Then it was all trucks, the
> step van. Vaguely remember the ice man about 1950 or so, still
> delivering in some of the older neighborhoods.

I have a faint recollection of ice wagons when I was a kid, but not to
our house. I do remember driving through the city to visit my
grandparents and seeing ice stores. The doors would be wide open and
there were huge chunks of ice and layers of sawdust for insulation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2015 11:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> lucretia wrote:
>>>
>>> I like onions with lots of flavour, can't understand why people like
>>> those Vidalia onions.

>> I agree with you. I like sharp onions not the wussie mild ones.
>> I often double or even triple the amount of onion that any
>> recipe calls for too. I like them that much.

> Sweet onions are for eating raw, not for cooking... Vidalias are great
> for salads.

Mmmm hmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forum...7/m/1932939827

> With pictures, recipe and no, I don't work for them.

Mmmm hmmm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2015 12:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:

>>> I agree with you. I like sharp onions not the wussie mild ones.
>>> I often double or even triple the amount of onion that any
>>> recipe calls for too. I like them that much.

>> Sweet onions are for eating raw, not for cooking... Vidalias are great
>> for salads.

> I agree but still, I even prefer the sharp onions for a salad.

Mmmm hmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2015 2:03 AM, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:48:25 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> The consensus around me was that she single-handedly managed to reduce
>>> the British economy to the level of the Portuguese economy.
>>>

>> Then they would be wrong.

> Exactly so, Ms. O...
>
> I first visited the UK back in the mid - 70's, and I also visited East and West Germany and Czechoslovakia. I remember arriving in the UK after being in shiny and prosperous West Germany, and I was thinking, "Poor UK...it looks almost as shabby as communist East Germany or Czechoslovakia..." One Brit told me, "from the look of things, you'd think that we had lost the war, and Germany had won!"
>
> There was good reason the UK was called "the poor man of Europe"...

Mmmm hmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2015 12:22 AM, sf wrote:
dear fat ass
good morning fat ass
how will your day go?
will you be stared at like an enourmous blob?
or be taunted and teased all day long?

people say you can't do anything
you cant do this or that
but you will sure show them
when your fat ass is in control

it is all your fault fat ass
you live to eat and dont eat to live
well look at that fat ass
a greasy cheese burger streaming down your lips and chin

you are a worthless excuse for a human
no one wants to see fat
lock yourself inside your room
until your thin and flat

you would rather some one say
**** her anorexic ass
than **** you
you fat fat ass

words hurt as much as the weight
they will be with you forever
that extra baggage you can change
show them you can do something

No one wants to see a fat girl cry
tears of grease and blubber
you will no longer be the funny fat girl
you will be just as cool as any other

slide your finger down your throat
when you dream of grease and junk
the calories will fade away
down the toilet with one flush

dont eat today
you will prove them right
that is something
you just can't do

show them they dont
have control over everything
your weight
is something you do

Loose it all fat ass
I want to see coller bones
and down right thin

dont cry when you become dizzy
just know that it will help you in the end

You can feel good about yourself fat ass
you just have to learn control
your punishment is a life full of pain
and tears of grease and fried stuff

thin is the way you have always wanted to be
well you have a long journey to get there
but change your life
you **** of blubber

run run fat ass
let that fat ass shake
no one wants to see that shit
better run in your back yard instead

skinny
be thin
fat ass
be fat
when weighing out your options
which do you like better than fat?

its not lie fat ass
you have let yourself go
its time to buckle down
and crack those calories away

when it is all said and done
you will be worthy
you will feel alive again
see thin is the way to be

and you are just a fat ass with no control again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2015 2:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 8/15/2015 11:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>>>
>>> We had a lot of horse drawn stuff too, mainly the coalman and the rag
>>> and bone man
>>>

>> When I was very little we had a lovely rag and bone man - he taught me
>> how
>> to feed apples to his horse.
>> I felt very brave.

> Ooh you were! I wouldn't dare have done that)

Mmmm hmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:20:18 -0600, truth and honor > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> They had minimal GDP, that fairly well doomed them.
> >>
> >> At that time CCCP was a very much minor oil player.
> >>
> >> Their strength was arms export.
> >>
> >> All facts.

> > They were trying to build their oil exports, needed the money because
> > you can only sell so many arms. The rug was pulled out from under
> > them and they collapsed.
> >

> Not by us, our oil production at the time was severely impinged by the
> Saudis over-pumping.
>
> But we did SDI them to the poor house, a GOOD thing.

The Saudis over pumped because we wanted them to. The Soviet economy
was in the process of collapse and that was the coup de grce.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:20:18 -0600, truth and honor > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> They were trying to build their oil exports, needed the money because
>>> you can only sell so many arms. The rug was pulled out from under
>>> them and they collapsed.
>>>

>> Not by us, our oil production at the time was severely impinged by the
>> Saudis over-pumping.
>>
>> But we did SDI them to the poor house, a GOOD thing.

> The Saudis over pumped because we wanted them to.

I never saw a citation for that, if anything it collapsed a good portion
of our domestic E&P for a decade.

> The Soviet economy
> was in the process of collapse and that was the coup de grce.

SDI you mean?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:49:23 +1000, Jeßus >
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:45:39 +0800, JBurns >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 09:21:29 +1000, Jeßus >
>>wrote:

>>>Yes, theres good fat and rather ordinary fat...
>>>
>>>Speaking of old-school bread recipes, we had bread and butter pudding
>>>last night.

>>So did I.
>>
>>I made mine with fruit bread spread with butter and my homemade
>>marmalade, probably about eight slices. I sliced them on the diagonal
>>and placed them in a square Pyrex dish, cut side down and pointy bit
>>up. Beat up 3 1/2 cups milk with four eggs, 1/3 cup sugar and a good
>>splash of vanilla extract. Actually, I used 3 cups of milk and 1/2 cup
>>thickened cream as I only had HiLo milk. Poured the mix over and gave
>>the bread a good squish down with my hands to get it soaked. It popped
>>up again and got nice and brown. Sprinkled with grated nutmeg. Cooked
>>it for about an hour at 180C in a bain marie.

>That does sounds, really, really good JB. The one I had was nice, but
>not as nice as that
>
>>The marmalade made an great addition. My marmalade is a really good
>>balance of sweet and bitter.

>What fruits did you use for your marmalade, out of curiosity?

I make a five fruit marmalade. This is my preferred recipe.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/f..._marmalade.php

It makes a clear-as-a-bell marmalade with a good amount of bitterness.

No overnight soaking.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2015 1:11 PM, JBurns wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:49:23 +1000, Jeßus >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:45:39 +0800, JBurns >
>> wrote:

>>> So did I.
>>>
>>> I made mine with fruit bread spread with butter and my homemade
>>> marmalade, probably about eight slices. I sliced them on the diagonal
>>> and placed them in a square Pyrex dish, cut side down and pointy bit
>>> up. Beat up 3 1/2 cups milk with four eggs, 1/3 cup sugar and a good
>>> splash of vanilla extract. Actually, I used 3 cups of milk and 1/2 cup
>>> thickened cream as I only had HiLo milk. Poured the mix over and gave
>>> the bread a good squish down with my hands to get it soaked. It popped
>>> up again and got nice and brown. Sprinkled with grated nutmeg. Cooked
>>> it for about an hour at 180C in a bain marie.

>> That does sounds, really, really good JB. The one I had was nice, but
>> not as nice as that
>>
>>> The marmalade made an great addition. My marmalade is a really good
>>> balance of sweet and bitter.

>> What fruits did you use for your marmalade, out of curiosity?

> I make a five fruit marmalade. This is my preferred recipe.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/f..._marmalade.php

> It makes a clear-as-a-bell marmalade with a good amount of bitterness.
>
> No overnight soaking.
>
> JB

Mmmm hmmm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 12:40:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:24:19 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > My SIL claims that there used to be
> > horse drawn milk carts here in the late 50's, but I missed it by a
> > very few years.
> >
> > sf
> >

> I can remember well into the '60's a man would come through
> the neighborhood walking beside a horse drawn wagon. He was
> selling all sorts of vegetables and fruits galore. My mother
> and most all the other women in the neighborhood would come
> out to buy from him when they would him hear call "vegetables,
> fruit."

I grew up in the Detroit suburbs in the 60s. Everything
had a motor. We could get milk and specialty baked goods
delivered, and a guy would come around once in a while
sharpening scissors. Our doctor's office was just a
couple of blocks away, so house calls weren't needed.

We'd buy vegetables at the grocery store (the absolute
worst pallid pink tomatoes and iceberg lettuce), although
in the summer we could go to farmer's market in the next
suburb over and get really good vegetables. (Then bring
them home and cook them to mush.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:11:42 +0800, JBurns >
wrote:

> I make a five fruit marmalade. This is my preferred recipe.
>
> http://www.canadianliving.com/food/f..._marmalade.php
>
> It makes a clear-as-a-bell marmalade with a good amount of bitterness.
>
> No overnight soaking.

I like the size of that recipe, very manageable. Thanks.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 06:25:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> We'd buy vegetables at the grocery store (the absolute
> worst pallid pink tomatoes and iceberg lettuce), although
> in the summer we could go to farmer's market in the next
> suburb over and get really good vegetables. (Then bring
> them home and cook them to mush.

Those were the days!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 17:14:44 -0600, Quemado > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> Not by us, our oil production at the time was severely impinged by the
> >> Saudis over-pumping.
> >>
> >> But we did SDI them to the poor house, a GOOD thing.

> > The Saudis over pumped because we wanted them to.

> I never saw a citation for that, if anything it collapsed a good portion
> of our domestic E&P for a decade.

Here is the #1 hit with the search term: what caused the collapse of
the soviet economy.

Read "collapse of an empire".
http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/sovietcollapse.htm

Internal corruption combined with decentralization and doing too much
too quickly in terms of economic reform (which all boiled down to:
people were starving) were some, not all, of the causes. IOW: it was
a colossal screw up.

Also read Unintended Consequences here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predic...e_Soviet_Union

> > The Soviet economy
> > was in the process of collapse and that was the coup de grce.

> SDI you mean?

I did not. Star Wars was our black hole and the Soviet Union was just
a convenient excuse at the time to enrich our military-industrial war
machine. Of course military spending depleted their budget and they
weren't exporting enough weapons to support their expenditures.
However, the collapse of the USSR was caused by a lack of food (grain)
which they had to import (money out) and a lack of income that could
have been supplied by their vast oil fields or exported goods. They
had nothing except their arms to export and I bet most of that income
with to the Russian Mafia, not the government. A war based economy is
doomed to fail. You simply can't support a massive country like that
large without diversifying... and feed your people, for god-sake.

Their only hope for a Saudi style income was to exploit their vast oil
reserves. Unfortunately for them, the type of oil well needed to pump
that crude is expensive to drill and can't be turned on and off like a
spigot. With the price of oil per barrel artificially low, it made no
sense for an already stressed economy (remember how the USSR was
gobbling up other countries daily) to develop that resource.

The good news for us is that the cost of shale oil production has been
reduced as well as the environmental impact (they are almost at a
chemical and water free stage of technology now). Shale wells can be
shut down in response to price fluctuations and restarted at will.
I'm still not a proponent of fracking because of all the fissures they
cause in the earth's crust - which I suspect is why earthquakes on the
East Coast are more frequent now. Hopefully, we will wean ourselves
from the petroleum industry entirely in the near future.

Honestly, I'm done with this. You and I will never agree politically.
You can shore up your argument, I can shore up mine, but never the
twain shall meet. Let's agree to disagree and move onto the topic of
food.

Dinner out last night - we shared everything except my glass of white
wine: Sublime fried calamari & artichokes for the appetizer, pizza,
short ribs with polenta and sauteed fresh vegetables, followed by
affogato for dessert.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2015 1:01 AM, sf wrote:
> [...]

thin is the way you have always wanted to be
well you have a long journey to get there
but change your life
you **** of blubber

run run fat ass
let that fat ass shake
no one wants to see that shit
better run in your back yard instead

skinny
be thin
fat ass
be fat
when weighing out your options
which do you like better than fat?

its not lie fat ass
you have let yourself go
its time to buckle down
and crack those calories away

when it is all said and done
you will be worthy
you will feel alive again
see thin is the way to be

and you are just a fat ass with no control again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2015 1:02 AM, sf wrote:
> [...]

thin is the way you have always wanted to be
well you have a long journey to get there
but change your life
you **** of blubber

run run fat ass
let that fat ass shake
no one wants to see that shit
better run in your back yard instead

skinny
be thin
fat ass
be fat
when weighing out your options
which do you like better than fat?

its not lie fat ass
you have let yourself go
its time to buckle down
and crack those calories away

when it is all said and done
you will be worthy
you will feel alive again
see thin is the way to be

and you are just a fat ass with no control again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2015 5:21 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 17:14:44 -0600, Quemado > wrote:

dear fat ass

good morning fat ass
how will your day go?
will you be stared at like an enourmous blob?
or be taunted and teased all day long?

people say you can't do anything
you cant do this or that
but you will sure show them
when your fat ass is in control

it is all your fault fat ass
you live to eat and dont eat to live
well look at that fat ass
a greasy cheese burger streaming down your lips and chin

you are a worthless excuse for a human
no one wants to see fat
lock yourself inside your room
until your thin and flat

you would rather some one say
**** her anorexic ass
than **** you
you fat fat ass

words hurt as much as the weight
they will be with you forever
that extra baggage you can change
show them you can do something

No one wants to see a fat girl cry
tears of grease and blubber
you will no longer be the funny fat girl
you will be just as cool as any other

slide your finger down your throat
when you dream of grease and junk
the calories will fade away
down the toilet with one flush

dont eat today
you will prove them right
that is something
you just can't do

show them they dont
have control over everything
your weight
is something you do

Loose it all fat ass
I want to see coller bones
and down right thin

dont cry when you become dizzy
just know that it will help you in the end

You can feel good about yourself fat ass
you just have to learn control
your punishment is a life full of pain
and tears of grease and fried stuff

thin is the way you have always wanted to be
well you have a long journey to get there
but change your life
you **** of blubber

run run fat ass
let that fat ass shake
no one wants to see that shit
better run in your back yard instead

skinny
be thin
fat ass
be fat
when weighing out your options
which do you like better than fat?

its not lie fat ass
you have let yourself go
its time to buckle down
and crack those calories away

when it is all said and done
you will be worthy
you will feel alive again
see thin is the way to be

and you are just a fat ass with no control again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2015 11:25 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 12:40:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:24:19 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>>> My SIL claims that there used to be
>>> horse drawn milk carts here in the late 50's, but I missed it by a
>>> very few years.
>>>
>>> sf
>>>

>> I can remember well into the '60's a man would come through
>> the neighborhood walking beside a horse drawn wagon. He was
>> selling all sorts of vegetables and fruits galore. My mother
>> and most all the other women in the neighborhood would come
>> out to buy from him when they would him hear call "vegetables,
>> fruit."

> I grew up in the Detroit suburbs in the 60s. Everything
> had a motor. We could get milk and specialty baked goods
> delivered, and a guy would come around once in a while
> sharpening scissors. Our doctor's office was just a
> couple of blocks away, so house calls weren't needed.
>
> We'd buy vegetables at the grocery store (the absolute
> worst pallid pink tomatoes and iceberg lettuce), although
> in the summer we could go to farmer's market in the next
> suburb over and get really good vegetables. (Then bring
> them home and cook them to mush.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Mmmm hmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:49:23 +1000, Jeßus >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:45:39 +0800, JBurns >
>>wrote:

>>>So did I.
>>>
>>>I made mine with fruit bread spread with butter and my homemade
>>>marmalade, probably about eight slices. I sliced them on the diagonal
>>>and placed them in a square Pyrex dish, cut side down and pointy bit
>>>up. Beat up 3 1/2 cups milk with four eggs, 1/3 cup sugar and a good
>>>splash of vanilla extract. Actually, I used 3 cups of milk and 1/2 cup
>>>thickened cream as I only had HiLo milk. Poured the mix over and gave
>>>the bread a good squish down with my hands to get it soaked. It popped
>>>up again and got nice and brown. Sprinkled with grated nutmeg. Cooked
>>>it for about an hour at 180C in a bain marie.

>>That does sounds, really, really good JB. The one I had was nice, but
>>not as nice as that
>>
>>>The marmalade made an great addition. My marmalade is a really good
>>>balance of sweet and bitter.

>>What fruits did you use for your marmalade, out of curiosity?

>I make a five fruit marmalade. This is my preferred recipe.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/f..._marmalade.php

>It makes a clear-as-a-bell marmalade with a good amount of bitterness.
>
>No overnight soaking.

Fantastic... I have never made jams or marmalades, partly due to my
inexperience, partly the time factor... I find it a little daunting.

I don't eat much jams and marmalades, but I really love a lime
marmalade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2015 7:31 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:11:42 +0800, JBurns >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:49:23 +1000, Jeßus >
>> wrote:

>>> That does sounds, really, really good JB. The one I had was nice, but
>>> not as nice as that

>>> What fruits did you use for your marmalade, out of curiosity?

>> I make a five fruit marmalade. This is my preferred recipe.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/f..._marmalade.php

>> It makes a clear-as-a-bell marmalade with a good amount of bitterness.
>>
>> No overnight soaking.

> Fantastic... I have never made jams or marmalades, partly due to my
> inexperience, partly the time factor... I find it a little daunting.
>
> I don't eat much jams and marmalades, but I really love a lime
> marmalade.

Mmmm hmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 17:14:44 -0600, Quemado > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> The Saudis over pumped because we wanted them to.

>> I never saw a citation for that, if anything it collapsed a good portion
>> of our domestic E&P for a decade.

> Here is the #1 hit with the search term: what caused the collapse of
> the soviet economy.
>
> Read "collapse of an empire".
> http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/sovietcollapse.htm
>
> Internal corruption combined with decentralization and doing too much
> too quickly in terms of economic reform (which all boiled down to:
> people were starving) were some, not all, of the causes. IOW: it was
> a colossal screw up.

Good cite, no question they were in disarray economically. as one would
expect of a nation fueled by Vodka.

But, best cite:

"The planners and decision-makers had to face the fact that it was
economically impossible for the Soviet Union to increase the share of
its output going to the military. The Soviet authorities then ended the
arms race and called off the Cold War. When the justification of an
external threat was removed there was no reason for the Russian public
to toleratel the totalitarian regime and the political system fell apart.

Many scientist doubted that the Star Wars anti-missile system would
work. The Soviet strategic planners had to presume that it would work. "

But the part you were driving at is:

"Although Gaidar's book does not delve into the reason for the decline
in petroleum prices in the late 1980's there is evidence that this
occurred because of a conspiracy between the American Central
Intelligence Agency (C.I.A.) the leaders of Saudi Arabia to punish the
Soviet Union for its invasion of Afghanistan. Saudi Arabia increased its
production of petroleum drastically and consequently the price of
petroleum fell. "

I'm not quite as sold on that premise, but certainly it is a nuance
"internalized economic actiuvity" to be considered.

But as I was pointing out it wasn't because the USSR was a great oil
producer then, as they were not.

> Also read Unintended Consequences here
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predic...e_Soviet_Union
>>
>>> The Soviet economy
>>> was in the process of collapse and that was the coup de grce.

>> SDI you mean?

> I did not. Star Wars was our black hole and the Soviet Union was just
> a convenient excuse at the time to enrich our military-industrial war
> machine. Of course military spending depleted their budget and they
> weren't exporting enough weapons to support their expenditures.
> However, the collapse of the USSR was caused by a lack of food (grain)
> which they had to import (money out) and a lack of income that could
> have been supplied by their vast oil fields or exported goods.

Their oil production then was not all that vast at the time.

Regardless, check this premise out:

http://www.susmitkumar.net/index.php...nks-not-reagan

"Premier Mikhail Gorbachev attempted to reform the Soviet economy in the
1980s with “glasnost” (freedom of speech, transparency in government)
and “perestroika” (reconstruction of economy, economic reforms), for
which he needed money. Western banks, especially German, initially gave
the Soviet Union loans, but subsequently stopped, leading to economic
crisis in the U.S.S.R. Soviet intervention in Afghanistan in the 1980s
also resulted in a financial black hole. Lower crude oil prices during
the late 1980s, oil being the primary Soviet export, further exacerbated
the situation.

After record-breaking prices in the early 1980s, oil prices plummeted in
the second half of the decade. Oil was the main export and source of
hard currency for the U.S.S.R. Insufficient investment and lack of the
modern technology needed to harness hard-to-reach oil fields prevented
her from expanding production, however, and in fact Soviet oil
production began to decline. The government was also borrowing heavily
to modernize its economy. These two factors led to a rise in Soviet
external debt. In 1985, oil earnings and net debt were $22 billion and
$18 billion, respectively; by 1989, these numbers had become $13 billion
and $44 billion, respectively. By 1991, when external debt was $57
billion, creditors (many of whom were major German banks) stopped making
loans and started demanding repayments, causing the Soviet economy to
collapse. [2]

Had oil prices increased, like they have during the Putin administration
this decade, or had German banks financed Gorbachev’s perestroika like
Japan financed Reagan’s deficits, the U.S.S.R. and communism would not
have collapsed in 1991 at all."
> They
> had nothing except their arms to export and I bet most of that income
> with to the Russian Mafia, not the government. A war based economy is
> doomed to fail. You simply can't support a massive country like that
> large without diversifying... and feed your people, for god-sake.
>
> Their only hope for a Saudi style income was to exploit their vast oil
> reserves. Unfortunately for them, the type of oil well needed to pump
> that crude is expensive to drill and can't be turned on and off like a
> spigot. With the price of oil per barrel artificially low, it made no
> sense for an already stressed economy (remember how the USSR was
> gobbling up other countries daily) to develop that resource.

This I agree with.

> The good news for us is that the cost of shale oil production has been
> reduced as well as the environmental impact (they are almost at a
> chemical and water free stage of technology now). Shale wells can be
> shut down in response to price fluctuations and restarted at will.
> I'm still not a proponent of fracking because of all the fissures they
> cause in the earth's crust - which I suspect is why earthquakes on the
> East Coast are more frequent now. Hopefully, we will wean ourselves
> from the petroleum industry entirely in the near future.

One can hope, yes.

> Honestly, I'm done with this. You and I will never agree politically.
> You can shore up your argument, I can shore up mine, but never the
> twain shall meet. Let's agree to disagree and move onto the topic of
> food.

No, let's agree on a mixed economic peril in which their oil, vs. world
pricing played a part, perhaps not the biggest one, but given the other
factors enough to be contributory for sure.

It was a domino slide, I just think we defense spent the thing into
momentum before exogenous factors took hold.

> Dinner out last night - we shared everything except my glass of white
> wine: Sublime fried calamari & artichokes for the appetizer, pizza,
> short ribs with polenta and sauteed fresh vegetables, followed by
> affogato for dessert.

Heaven!

And good cites too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-08-17, Janet > wrote:

> Sarnie is just a diminutive/abbreviation of sandwich. The long A (as
> in farm) distinguishes it from short-A "sannie", slang term for sanitary
> towel.

I suspect you ment "fame", as farm is also a short A sound.

> Butty according to Chambers dictionary [...] It's
> also an old North-England term for pal, mate.

I'll not go there.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Aug 2015 15:24:33 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2015-08-17, Janet > wrote:
>
> > Sarnie is just a diminutive/abbreviation of sandwich. The long A (as
> > in farm) distinguishes it from short-A "sannie", slang term for sanitary
> > towel.

> I suspect you ment "fame", as farm is also a short A sound.
>
> > Butty according to Chambers dictionary [...] It's
> > also an old North-England term for pal, mate.

> I'll not go there.

So "buddy" got lost in translation.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> No donkeys involved.
>
> Janet UK

Save for birthing an ASS like YOU!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 6:07:52 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had more cucumber in the fridge that I thought so I made some open
> face cucumber sandwiches. I had some nice sourdough whole wheat bread. I
> slathered it with cream cheese and topped them with some slices of
> cucumber that had been doused with vinegar. Topped the works with some
> chopped fresh dill. I am left wondering why it seems to be that only
> old ladies like cucumber sandwiches. They are delicious.

Maybe they make it to old age DUE to this type of diet vs. BK Whoppers as some people are wont to eat daily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2015 12:11 PM, sf wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2015 15:24:33 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-17, Janet > wrote:
>>
>>> Sarnie is just a diminutive/abbreviation of sandwich. The long A (as
>>> in farm) distinguishes it from short-A "sannie", slang term for sanitary
>>> towel.

>> I suspect you ment "fame", as farm is also a short A sound.
>>
>>> Butty according to Chambers dictionary [...] It's
>>> also an old North-England term for pal, mate.

>> I'll not go there.
>>

> So "buddy" got lost in translation.

???
'Butty' in the sense of 'pal' has been around for a few centuries in
Britain. The North American 'buddy' likely resulted from the tendency of
many North Americans to pronounce 't' as 'd', so 'butty' changed to 'buddy'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2015 1:24 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-08-17, Janet > wrote:
>
>> Sarnie is just a diminutive/abbreviation of sandwich. The long A (as
>> in farm) distinguishes it from short-A "sannie", slang term for sanitary
>> towel.

> I suspect you ment "fame", as farm is also a short A sound.
>
>> Butty according to Chambers dictionary [...] It's
>> also an old North-England term for pal, mate.

> I'll not go there.
>
> nb

Mmmm hmmm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2015 2:11 AM, sf wrote:
> [...]

thin is the way you have always wanted to be
well you have a long journey to get there
but change your life
you **** of blubber

run run fat ass
let that fat ass shake
no one wants to see that shit
better run in your back yard instead

skinny
be thin
fat ass
be fat
when weighing out your options
which do you like better than fat?

its not lie fat ass
you have let yourself go
its time to buckle down
and crack those calories away

when it is all said and done
you will be worthy
you will feel alive again
see thin is the way to be

and you are just a fat ass with no control again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lunch today cshenk General Cooking 2 12-06-2016 11:39 PM
lunch today [email protected] General Cooking 5 08-04-2016 09:20 PM
Lunch today Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 5 11-04-2010 08:26 AM
Lunch today George Leppla General Cooking 31 27-08-2009 05:21 AM
Hey jam lady (sometimes incorrectly called pickle lady) Chuck (in SC)[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-06-2007 04:55 PM