Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ikea

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:41:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
31...
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:mhf624$1vm$1
>>> @dont-email.me:

>>> Det är dags att lära sig svenska

>>I looked at it again. There are English instructions but I need to buy
>>cream to make it. Bah! What good is a powdered sauce if I have to buy
>>cream? And there is apple in the sauce. Weird. Does not appear to be
>>what
>>they served in the restaurant. That looked like a creamy beef gravy.

> You don't seem to have much experience with cooking. I base that on
> the naivety evident in your posts - also - you appear to hate both
> food and cooking food... it's a really unhealthy and negative outlook
> you've got there.

Good grief! I have been cooking since I was 8. Cooking. Not using
packets. I only bought the packets because I assumed it would recreate what
they serve in the restaurant. They don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:03:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have never been to Sweden. And neither has my Swedish friend.

> Another instance of 'when worlds collide'
> They could make a sequel - Planet Bove V.S Earth.

She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/04/2015 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:03:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have never been to Sweden. And neither has my Swedish friend.

>> Another instance of 'when worlds collide'
>> They could make a sequel - Planet Bove V.S Earth.

> She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the family.

Then she's NOT Swedish!
Graham

--
"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion
will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:41:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I looked at it again. There are English instructions but I need to buy
>>> cream to make it. Bah! What good is a powdered sauce if I have to buy
>>> cream? And there is apple in the sauce. Weird. Does not appear to be >>what
>>> they served in the restaurant. That looked like a creamy beef gravy.

>> You don't seem to have much experience with cooking. I base that on
>> the naivety evident in your posts - also - you appear to hate both
>> food and cooking food... it's a really unhealthy and negative outlook
>> you've got there.

> Good grief! I have been cooking since I was 8. Cooking. Not using
> packets. I only bought the packets because I assumed it would recreate
> what they serve in the restaurant. They don't.

And you know that they don't ...how??
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 9:34:45 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
> On 25/04/2015 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "Jeßus" > wrote in message
> >> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:03:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Another instance of 'when worlds collide'
> >> They could make a sequel - Planet Bove V.S Earth.

> > She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the family..

> Then she's NOT Swedish!

Speaking of nationalities in that way makes sense to Americans.

Besides, to you, doesn't "Swedish" mean "rutabagan"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 12:34 AM, graham wrote:
> On 25/04/2015 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:03:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Another instance of 'when worlds collide'
>>> They could make a sequel - Planet Bove V.S Earth.

>> She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the family.

> Then she's NOT Swedish!
> Graham

Technically, she is of Swedish decent. However, the terminology Julie
used is quite common. Many American born here will say they are Polish,
Irish, whatever. Nits not picked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:41:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> You don't seem to have much experience with cooking. I base that on
>>> the naivety evident in your posts - also - you appear to hate both
>>> food and cooking food... it's a really unhealthy and negative outlook
>>> you've got there.

>> Good grief! I have been cooking since I was 8. Cooking. Not using
>> packets. I only bought the packets because I assumed it would recreate
>> what they serve in the restaurant. They don't.

> And you know that they don't ...how??

Well, they don't look the same. The picture of the sauce in the packet is
white. Like I said... What they served appeared to be a beef gravy with
some sort of dairy in it. But brown for sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 9:34:45 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
> On 25/04/2015 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "Jeßus" > wrote in message
> >> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:03:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Another instance of 'when worlds collide'
> >> They could make a sequel - Planet Bove V.S Earth.

> > She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the family.

> Then she's NOT Swedish!

Speaking of nationalities in that way makes sense to Americans.

Besides, to you, doesn't "Swedish" mean "rutabagan"?

Hehehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/26/2015 12:34 AM, graham wrote:

>>> She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the family.

>> Then she's NOT Swedish!
>> Graham
>>

> Technically, she is of Swedish decent. However, the terminology Julie
> used is quite common. Many American born here will say they are Polish,
> Irish, whatever. Nits not picked.

See? You knew what I meant. She ate a lot of Swedish meatballs when
growing up so I know that at least in her household, they were commonly
eaten. But since neither of us have been to Sweden, we couldn't say for
sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Well, they don't look the same. The picture of the sauce in the packet is
> white. Like I said... What they served appeared to be a beef gravy with
> some sort of dairy in it. But brown for sure.

You could substitute water for some or all of the cream. You bought
it, might as well try it. :-\

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Neighbor on the other side just put his house on
> the market so I am thinking it would be best for me to hold off on the
> painting until the open houses are over with.

Why do you think that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Well, they don't look the same. The picture of the sauce in the packet
>> is
>> white. Like I said... What they served appeared to be a beef gravy with
>> some sort of dairy in it. But brown for sure.

> You could substitute water for some or all of the cream. You bought
> it, might as well try it. :-\

I didn't buy it for me. I bought it to use with the meatballs as I assumed
that was what they served in the cafe. But no. I will probably just get
rid of it because it doesn't sound very good. I should have looked at it
better in the store but at the point in time when I was looking at the
packets, all these people came up to get meatballs and I would have been in
the way had I not moved. For some reason, they had none with the other
frozen foods. They were in a low, free standing freezer and the sauce
packets were above it. I just grabbed two and went on. I'm sure they
couldn't have cost very much. No biggie.

Cream is not something I ever buy. I think perhaps I have bought it maybe
half a dozen times in the course of my lifetime for some recipe. I looked
into getting powdered cream but I would only need a very small amount and it
seems that it isn't sold that way. I will just use a beef gravy when I
serve them and add milk to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Neighbor on the other side just put his house on
>> the market so I am thinking it would be best for me to hold off on the
>> painting until the open houses are over with.

> Why do you think that?

I would just assume that people wouldn't want to be smelling paint fumes and
such. Plus there isn't much parking the way it is so we don't need another
truck here right now. Granted, the guy I want to do the job lives right
around the corner from me but I think he'd still have to bring his truck
with the supplies. The guy on the other side has so many workers over there
right now, he is hogging up parking like crazy. Somebody told me that it
only takes a day to paint a house. If that's true, they need to tell him!
He and his friend have been working on the painting now for going on 4 days
I think. I am getting tired of it. He has been working on that house for
years as was the guy who owned it prior. I am beginning to think it will
never get done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 11:06 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Roy" > wrote in message
>>>

>> Julie won't/doesn't eat Swedish meatballs for some gawd only knows
>> reason.
>> You'll just have to Google for info...that's what I do.

> Because they contain egg and dairy and I can not have those things. I
> do like them though. I do not make meatballs from scratch. That is one
> thing I do not do!

The *one* thing?! More like *one more thing* you do not do. We know
you won't handle raw chicken. You buy canned chicken instead. This
naturally leads to the fact you don't make chicken stock from scratch.
And the beat goes on...

> I have tried a few times and failed.

Meatballs - any kind - are one of the easiest things on the planet to
make. It's obvious you really don't know how to cook.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> Well, they don't look the same. The picture of the sauce in
> the packet is white. Like I said... What they served
> appeared to be a beef gravy with some sort of dairy in it.
> But brown for sure.

Would it be this by any chance?

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20171468/

--
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

>>> Oh. Well I can get those things anywhere too.

>> Imported from Sweden?

> I don't know what that was in reference to but we can get a
> lot of things imported from Sweden here. We have a big
> Swedish population.

Marzipan and chocolate.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Desmond Tutu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, they don't look the same. The picture of the sauce in the packet
> >> is
> >> white. Like I said... What they served appeared to be a beef gravy with
> >> some sort of dairy in it. But brown for sure.

> > You could substitute water for some or all of the cream. You bought
> > it, might as well try it. :-\

> I didn't buy it for me. I bought it to use with the meatballs as I assumed
> that was what they served in the cafe. But no. I will probably just get
> rid of it because it doesn't sound very good.
>
> Cream is not something I ever buy. I think perhaps I have bought it maybe
> half a dozen times in the course of my lifetime for some recipe. I looked
> into getting powdered cream but I would only need a very small amount and it
> seems that it isn't sold that way. I will just use a beef gravy when I
> serve them and add milk to it.

Don't you dare "get rid" of that packet? Are you really that dumb?

It was supposedly the real recipe for their meatballs. Powdered
packets are ok sometimes and that probably tastes very close. You
didn't buy it for you but you bought it for your husband and he sounds
like a normal eater.

At least make it before you toss it. Let husband try it. He'll
probably like that taste better than any beef gravy that you whip up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Neighbor on the other side just put his house on
> >> the market so I am thinking it would be best for me to hold off on the
> >> painting until the open houses are over with.

> > Why do you think that?

> I would just assume that people wouldn't want to be smelling paint fumes and
> such. Plus there isn't much parking the way it is so we don't need another
> truck here right now. Granted, the guy I want to do the job lives right
> around the corner from me but I think he'd still have to bring his truck
> with the supplies. The guy on the other side has so many workers over there
> right now, he is hogging up parking like crazy.

Parking on your street is not your problem. Don't worry about fumes
going next door. Most people use water-based paint now and no fumes
basically. Potential buyers looking next door will be happy to see
neighbors keeping up their houses.

> Somebody told me that it only takes a day to paint a house.

If a painting contractor ever tells you that, thank him for his time
and never call him again. No matter how small a house, or how many
people he brings in, you will get a crappy paint job if all done in
one day.

Outsides of a house need to be washed first, otherwise they will be
painting over dust and dirt and the job won't last very long. Then
comes scraping, sanding, caulking, priming raw wood,etc. All that
followed by 1-2 coats of a good brand of paint.

You make sure the preparation is done properly and a good brand of
paint is used or you WILL be sorry when you have to repaint again way
too soon.

I've been doing this for a living since July 1973 and I am one of the
high-priced painters. I know what I'm talking about here.

Also, everyone should get at least 3 estimates (they're free) and ask
all what they plan to do. Also references from friends help. Word of
mouth is the best advertising for any company.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> Parking on your street is not your problem. Don't worry about fumes
> going next door. Most people use water-based paint now and no fumes
> basically. Potential buyers looking next door will be happy to see
> neighbors keeping up their houses.

Yep, the neighbors had painters painting their house yesterday and the house
is very close to my backyard. No smell whatsoever.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bove wrote:

>"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
1...
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:mhe4e6$sgu$1
>> @dont-email.me:
>>
>>> Oh. Well I can get those things anywhere too.

>> Imported from Sweden?

>I don't know what that was in reference to but we can get a lot of things
>imported from Sweden here. We have a big Swedish population.

That makes no sense... there's a huge Irish, German, and Norwegian
population here... I've yet to see any Irish, German, and Norwegian
department stores. And most items sold at IKA are not from Sweden,
they're from China, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 10:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> Don't you dare "get rid" of that packet? Are you really that dumb?
>
> It was supposedly the real recipe for their meatballs. Powdered
> packets are ok sometimes and that probably tastes very close. You
> didn't buy it for you but you bought it for your husband and he sounds
> like a normal eater.
>
> At least make it before you toss it. Let husband try it. He'll
> probably like that taste better than any beef gravy that you whip up.

Don't you know? She just likes to buy things then complain about them
without trying. She likes to throw things away.

Hmmm, I thought she said she donates food to the food bank. I'll bet
someone would be more than happy to get those packets of gravy mix.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:

>> > You could substitute water for some or all of the cream. You bought
>> > it, might as well try it. :-\

>> I didn't buy it for me. I bought it to use with the meatballs as I assumed
>> that was what they served in the cafe. But no. I will probably just get
>> rid of it because it doesn't sound very good.
>>
>> Cream is not something I ever buy. I think perhaps I have bought it maybe
>> half a dozen times in the course of my lifetime for some recipe. I looked
>> into getting powdered cream but I would only need a very small amount and it
>> seems that it isn't sold that way. I will just use a beef gravy when I
>> serve them and add milk to it.

>Don't you dare "get rid" of that packet? Are you really that dumb?
>
>It was supposedly the real recipe for their meatballs. Powdered
>packets are ok sometimes and that probably tastes very close. You
>didn't buy it for you but you bought it for your husband and he sounds
>like a normal eater.
>
>At least make it before you toss it. Let husband try it. He'll
>probably like that taste better than any beef gravy that you whip up.

Most recipes that call for cream work about as well with milk
instead... But I'd use water, I think a dairy based sauce with beef is
TIAD... actually I'd read the ingredients and probably use beer, and
maybe doctor it with herbs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 11:12 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>
>> Parking on your street is not your problem. Don't worry about fumes
>> going next door. Most people use water-based paint now and no fumes
>> basically. Potential buyers looking next door will be happy to see
>> neighbors keeping up their houses.

> Yep, the neighbors had painters painting their house yesterday and the
> house is very close to my backyard. No smell whatsoever.
>
> Cheri

My neighbor had her house painted a couple of years ago. Also the fence
that separates our (small) property lines. I never even noticed they
were there. I was at home. No fumes, not a big deal.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:12:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > Parking on your street is not your problem. Don't worry about fumes
> > going next door. Most people use water-based paint now and no fumes
> > basically. Potential buyers looking next door will be happy to see
> > neighbors keeping up their houses.

> Yep, the neighbors had painters painting their house yesterday and the house
> is very close to my backyard. No smell whatsoever.

My house was painted last year, I was inside they were outside - there
was no paint smell. I didn't smell paint when my next door neighbors
painted their exteriors either.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 11:48 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I didn't buy it for me. I bought it to use with the meatballs as I assumed
>>> that was what they served in the cafe. But no. I will probably just get
>>> rid of it because it doesn't sound very good.
>>>
>>> Cream is not something I ever buy. I think perhaps I have bought it maybe
>>> half a dozen times in the course of my lifetime for some recipe. I looked
>>> into getting powdered cream but I would only need a very small amount and it
>>> seems that it isn't sold that way. I will just use a beef gravy when I
>>> serve them and add milk to it.

>> Don't you dare "get rid" of that packet? Are you really that dumb?
>>
>> It was supposedly the real recipe for their meatballs. Powdered
>> packets are ok sometimes and that probably tastes very close. You
>> didn't buy it for you but you bought it for your husband and he sounds
>> like a normal eater.
>>
>> At least make it before you toss it. Let husband try it. He'll
>> probably like that taste better than any beef gravy that you whip up.

> Most recipes that call for cream work about as well with milk
> instead... But I'd use water, I think a dairy based sauce with beef is
> TIAD... actually I'd read the ingredients and probably use beer, and
> maybe doctor it with herbs.

Julie isn't smart enough to do that.

All she does is decry about what she bought but "can't eat". She'd
rather buy stuff and throw it away than try to find another solution.
Merely so she can say she tried but ooooh! there was something wrong
with it.

I've never encountered anyone who ran into as much moldy bread as she
has. Oh, don't forget the guy wearing a turban sweeping the floor of a
store. It's obvious he was out to get her. Singled her out.

She's nuts. She doesn't know how to cook. She buys prepared stuff,
heats it up and then bitches about it. Things she hasn't even tried she
throws it away because she allegedly can't eat it. She's the ultimate
martyr. Seems to me last year she said her husband couldn't heat up
canned soup in the microwave. Somewhere in one of these threads I
remember reading her husband cooked some herbed carrots and then
actually helped with cooking dinner.

Are we supposed to believe this? Maybe he just wants to eat *real*
food. He may be cooking in self defense. I know I would.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/04/2015 9:12 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>
>> Parking on your street is not your problem. Don't worry about fumes
>> going next door. Most people use water-based paint now and no fumes
>> basically. Potential buyers looking next door will be happy to see
>> neighbors keeping up their houses.

> Yep, the neighbors had painters painting their house yesterday and the
> house is very close to my backyard. No smell whatsoever.
>
> Cheri

That's because all the paints are now water based.
Graham

--
"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion
will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the
political power to do so."
Sir Arthur C. Clark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 6:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Don't forget to tell everyone what a good cook you are.
>
> Jill

Try not to be so catty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 9:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "W. Lohman" > wrote in message

>>> There were no lies.

>> I know, you even caught the cinnamon rolls.

> These people have issues. I'm doing quite well today. My gutters are
> all clean. And I have replaced my Feng Shui things in the yard. If the
> universe sees shabby, broken things out there, it will think that we
> deserve no better. The last couple of wind storms did a number on some
> of my spinners. I put out three large ones from Big Lots and the
> remaining holographic pinwheels. I just placed an order for some more.
> I like to keep extras so I can replace as needed. I love bright colors
> and would love to have real flowers year round but just doesn't work
> here so I have to make do.

OK, an interesting enough aside. I think Feng Shui is important too,
though I'd be hard-pressed to scientifically quantify why.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-26 11:48 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Most recipes that call for cream work about as well with milk
> instead... But I'd use water, I think a dairy based sauce with beef is
> TIAD... actually I'd read the ingredients and probably use beer, and
> maybe doctor it with herbs.

Not really. People like me who aren't into dairy and dairy fat might be
impressed. People like my wife who love cream and its richness will
certainly notice. I have made recipes with heavy cream and butter and
they work out nicely, but when you cut back on the fat you need
something else to thicken it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 12:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 9:34:45 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:

>> > She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the

>> family.
>>
>> Then she's NOT Swedish!

> Speaking of nationalities in that way makes sense to Americans.
>
> Besides, to you, doesn't "Swedish" mean "rutabagan"?
>
> Hehehehe.

We can wait to see what might "turnip"...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 10:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> She's nuts. She doesn't know how to cook. She buys prepared stuff,
> heats it up and then bitches about it.

Says the dowager living on overpriced cafeteria food in an aging
ex-Stepford Wives community...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:56:26 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 4/26/2015 10:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > She's nuts. She doesn't know how to cook. She buys prepared stuff,
> > heats it up and then bitches about it.

> Says the dowager living on overpriced cafeteria food in an aging
> ex-Stepford Wives community...

She has to pay the money anyway, so she might as well get something
for it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 21:31:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:03:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I have never been to Sweden. And neither has my Swedish friend.

>> Another instance of 'when worlds collide'
>> They could make a sequel - Planet Bove V.S Earth.

>She was born in this country but is Swedish on both sides of the family.

Yeah, so she's not Swedish then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 1:37 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:56:26 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> On 4/26/2015 10:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> She's nuts. She doesn't know how to cook. She buys prepared stuff,
>>> heats it up and then bitches about it.

>> Says the dowager living on overpriced cafeteria food in an aging
>> ex-Stepford Wives community...

> She has to pay the money anyway, so she might as well get something
> for it.

From the history of her observations here on their cuisine it's a
losing proposition year in and year out.

Given that I don't she where's she's on sacred ground to diss Julie.

Julie's finicky as heck, but she's genuine too.

Lunch at Ikea Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 8 29-11-2013 09:23 PM
Lunch at Ikea Janet General Cooking 1 26-11-2013 04:56 AM
Eating at IKEA koko General Cooking 39 19-05-2009 12:17 AM
IKEA rules Blair P. Houghton Tea 6 04-01-2006 11:51 PM
Ikea (was Snowed In) Sharon Chilson General Cooking 0 15-12-2005 08:39 PM