Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch at Ikea

Tara wrote:
> We enjoyed lunch at Ikea today. My husband had Swedish meatballs with
> mashed potatoes and lingonberry sauce. I had nice smoked salmon with
> a horseradish sauce and bean salad. The salmon was rich and smoky. We
> shared vegetable soup. I was pleased to see some variety for the kids
> meals -- options like Swedish meatballs and pasta. The food market
> was fun to browse. It offered pastries, cheese, roe, and roe and fish
> spreads in tubes. I wish now I had bought the little $2.99 jar of
> roe. We brought home some Swedish meatballs, salted licorice, and
> chocolate. If I lived or worked nearby, I would take advantage of the
> $0.99 breakfast and $1.99 lunch specials.
>
> http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...od/#restaurant
>
> Tara

I love eating at the IKEA restaurant - I know what I like and I skip the
rest. The coffee is good, and the prices are great.

My wife doesn't particularly care for it, but she humors me from time to
time and we have a meal there perhaps twice a year. She and I both grew
up not far from the first IKEA in the US, just outside of Philadelphia,
PA.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:31:15 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> My wife doesn't particularly care for it

I agree with your wife.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:31:15 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> My wife doesn't particularly care for it

> I agree with your wife.

<sigh>

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-26 12:52 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:31:15 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My wife doesn't particularly care for it

>> I agree with your wife.

I would not say it is gourmet, but I have always found it to be very
good value. It also offers some healthy options. I think it is a much
better deal than most fast food joints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:29:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2013-11-26 12:52 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> > sf wrote:

> >> I agree with your wife.

> I would not say it is gourmet, but I have always found it to be very
> good value. It also offers some healthy options. I think it is a much
> better deal than most fast food joints.

Their Monday breakfast is almost free, but that's the best part about
it IMO.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:29:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I would not say it is gourmet, but I have always found it to be very
>> good value. It also offers some healthy options. I think it is a
>> much better deal than most fast food joints.

> Their Monday breakfast is almost free, but that's the best part about
> it IMO.

I'm not a breakfast eater so I don't go there then, but I love going for
dinner. I usually have something with gravlax, plus a green salad, and
often an order of Swedish meatballs, too - plus coffee, plus sometimes
soup and/or other side dishes like macaroni and cheese, plus dessert -
yum!

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-26 6:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:29:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I would not say it is gourmet, but I have always found it to be very
>> good value. It also offers some healthy options. I think it is a much
>> better deal than most fast food joints.

> Their Monday breakfast is almost free, but that's the best part about
> it IMO.

Sure. It one of their ways to get people into the store. You know how
grocery stores stock their goods in a way that makes it hard to get
things you want/need without walking past a lot of other things? Ikea is
set up so that it is almost impossible to get through the store without
walking past everything.

The nearest one to us is almost 50 miles from our house. We have been
known to go there to do some shopping and grab a meal. It has also been
a quick detour for a meal on a way home from vacation. A few years ago
we had a brake line blow while we were in Toronto. I got that car over
to a Canadian Tire garage.... 4 pm on a Friday. We pleaded with them to
get it replaced ASAP because we had a dog at home and had to get home
within a few hours. It was close to dinner time and the work was going
to take a couple hours, so we walked down the road to Ikea and had
supper there. Dinner for two was just over $14, and it was quite tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:50:37 AM UTC-8, Dave Smith wrote:

> The nearest one to us is almost 50 miles from our house. We have been
> known to go there to do some shopping and grab a meal. It has also been
> a quick detour for a meal on a way home from vacation. A few years ago
> we had a brake line blow while we were in Toronto. I got that car over
> to a Canadian Tire garage.... 4 pm on a Friday. We pleaded with them to
> get it replaced ASAP because we had a dog at home and had to get home
> within a few hours. It was close to dinner time and the work was going
> to take a couple hours, so we walked down the road to Ikea and had
> supper there. Dinner for two was just over $14, and it was quite tasty.

I wish we had Canadian Tire here, south of the border, because it's much more than a tire store. Western Auto Supply was similar, back in the day, as I recall.

Ikea Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 407 30-04-2015 03:58 PM
Lunch at Ikea Janet General Cooking 1 26-11-2013 04:56 AM
Eating at IKEA koko General Cooking 39 19-05-2009 12:17 AM
IKEA rules Blair P. Houghton Tea 6 04-01-2006 11:51 PM
Ikea (was Snowed In) Sharon Chilson General Cooking 0 15-12-2005 08:39 PM