Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ikea

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...
>> Ah, well... I don't think I need any of that stuff but I will look.

> My fave there is a shrimp sandwich in the cafeteria. They have a lot of
> different things to eat...
>
> <http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/food/>

I bought the frozen meatballs and two packages of sauce but not really sure
how to make it. It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to be in
English.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2015-04-24 7:04 PM, barbie gee wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Ah, well... I don't think I need any of that stuff but I will look.

>> My fave there is a shrimp sandwich in the cafeteria. They have a lot of
>> different things to eat...
>>

> Okay. Cue Julie for the reasons she can't eat those.

I don't eat shrimp and most bread has something in it that I can't eat. I
don't recall seeing any sandwiches there. I did see a wrap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" > wrote in message

> Are they not doing the cinnamon rolls any more?
>
> I swear each time I've been in smells like a Cinnabon shop.

I expected to see them in the cafeteria but, no. They did have them right
before the checkouts. And they were cheap but nobody here wanted them.
They did smell good. But there were many bad smells in that store. I
smelled what I think was patchouli somewhere near the cafeteria. Daughter
thought it was mold. But I think some people mistake patchouli for mold. I
say this because I once wore patchouli oil to work and a coworker kept
telling me that she smelled mold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" > wrote in message

> Yeah, it's a mixed bag there.
>
> Some stuff is really worth the rat-maze experience, but not a lot.

I saw a lot of stuff that I for sure would not buy. Things on display,
sitting there broken. Also the seats in the cafeteria had the finish worn
off in spots to where they just looked dirty.

I got a throw blanket for $1.49. It's thin but it worked in the car. I was
freezing on the way there. Heh. But all of the other blankets I touched
felt very rough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
\
> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture store
> to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of wood and you
> want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item foods.
>
> This one deserves an award.

The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.
I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
little European markets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I am chagrined to admit that I agree with Julie here. So
>>> much of what IKEA sells is crap that I have pretty much given up going
>>> there. I do have a winerack that has held up over the years, and a
>>> couple
>>> of dog dishes.
>>>
>>> The worst thing I saw at IKEA was a colander with a razor-like edge.
>>>

>> They certainly don't have as many higher quality products as they used
>> to,but there is still lots of great stuff. I ended getting a TV stand
>> there. I had searched high and low for something that would hold a large
>> TV, satellite receiver, stereo, VHS, DVD and CD player. Any cabinets I
>> found were way to big and way to expensive. I found a low on with a flat
>> top and four shelves in rows of two. It was perfect. I liked it so much
>> I went back for a second one for another room.
>>
>> I have a couple wine racks from there, cutting boards, glasses, a
>> colander that is not lethal, drawer organizers, CD shelves, book cases
>> and a office swivel chair for the computer desk.

> I live around a lot of rental apartments that seem to cater to young,
> just-outta-college or college kids. Every year, when they move, they toss
> a lot of stuff, and much of it is Ikea. It's good stuff for what it is;
> inexpensive, sturdy enough, modern-styled, but it's not meant to last a
> lifetime and be handed down to your kids and grandkids as old family
> heirloom antique furnitures.
>
> One of their pieces, a shelving unit called "Expedit" was recently
> discontinued and replaced by "Kallax". People were like totally having a
> fit over this. I suspect they're getting over it, but...
>
> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/19/expedit-ikea-discontinue_n_4817314.html>

Where I noticed the largest crowd was where the kitchen cabinets were. From
what I have read online, they are the go to place if you want plain white
ones or are doing a 1950's retro kitchen. Some of the kid's stuff like
plastic tables and chairs seemed fine. And the patio furniture seemed fine.
I bought some straws and a few small storage things for Angela's desk. Also
a small fake plant.

I was told by the military movers not to buy their furniture because it is
not meant to be taken apart and put back together. The desk is being put
together right now. I hear a lot of cursing. Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:52:32 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>> We're going to be going to Ikea! I have never been in one. I used to
>>> want
>>> to go but now that I can't eat the Swedish Meatballs, there is no real
>>> desire to go on my part. But they are not near here and I can get a
>>> ride so
>>> I shall go.
>>>
>>> I don't think they have anything there that I can eat in their cafe but
>>> will still go and look.
>>>
>>> Is there anything else I should make a point of looking at? From what I
>>> have read online, I will have to wend my way through the store to get to
>>> what we are going there to buy, which is a desk. I would just get it
>>> online
>>> but I am not paying for it so...
>>>
>>> I know they have lingonberries but I am surrounded by those here anyway
>>> so
>>> no need to look for those. And given the poor quality of the kitchen
>>> carts
>>> that I bought a few years ago, I am leery of anything they sell. The
>>> one
>>> cart seemed fine at first. But something was wrong with the second one
>>> and
>>> the middle shelf/bin just wouldn't hold any weight. It would
>>> immediately
>>> slide down to the bottom. And now the other one is doing the same. I
>>> actually cringed when I saw them being used in a kid's toy room on some
>>> house show the other day. I was like... Noooooo!
>>>
>>> I can't really think of a thing that I need in the kitchen department
>>> but
>>> perhaps there are foods? Do they sell much in the way of foods? I am
>>> mostly familiar with the furniture which for the most part I think of as
>>> junk. Good looking but junk. We'll see how the desk holds up.

>>this is some really fine work, Jules

> I reckon.
>
> She doesn't know of anything she needs at Ikea...
> And doesnt like anything that she's had that was Ikea...
> But she's hell-bent on spending some money there anyway.
>
> Didn't she say they were short of cash only a couple of weeks ago?

Nope. I didn't spend a dime. And *we* are never short of cash. So I never
said that. I might have said that *I* was short of cash. I never said
*we*. I was not paying today from the git go which is pretty much the only
reason that I went. That and I wanted to see the store. I did not plan on
buying much. Total paid was something like $130 and the desk was $80 of
that. I think the only thing I got out of it personally was the throw
blanket and fake plant. The rest was for Angela.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

I did want to like IKEA. I had read their story in some dull but regular
magazine, like Readers' Digest. And I had seen them near LA,when we
had no time to waste on big box retail.

The stores are huge.
They have cheap eats to keep you from leaving.

I would rather just go to Crate and Barrel. I may not buy anything there,
either, but it won't have taken me two hours.

After going there, I can see much to like about them. $1.99 for a toilet
brush? Also seemed worth it for little kitchen things. And decorative
things and maybe throw rugs and other small things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> I agree that there are many good buys at Ikea. We make a point of
> visiting the Scarborough one every time we're in the city.
>
> We've bought curtains, dining room chairs, occasional tables, and
> bedroom furniture from them. I have no complaints about any of it.

That's good! I saw a section with furniture for half price. So it would
likely be a good place to go when Angela needs to furnish her first place.
But I wouldn't expect much of it to last.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
> hcrg.pbz...
>>> Ah, well... I don't think I need any of that stuff but I will look.

>> My fave there is a shrimp sandwich in the cafeteria. They have a lot of
>> different things to eat...
>>
>> <http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/food/>

> I bought the frozen meatballs and two packages of sauce but not really
> sure how to make it. It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to be
> in English.

You can Google it, easy to find.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>> hcrg.pbz...
>>>
>>> My fave there is a shrimp sandwich in the cafeteria. They have a lot of
>>> different things to eat...
>>>
>>> <http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/food/>

>> I bought the frozen meatballs and two packages of sauce but not really
>> sure how to make it. It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to be
>> in English.

> You can Google it, easy to find.

I guess I could. I don't remember the name of the product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2015 10:47 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "W. Lohman" > wrote in message
>
>> Are they not doing the cinnamon rolls any more?
>>
>> I swear each time I've been in smells like a Cinnabon shop.

> I expected to see them in the cafeteria but, no. They did have them
> right before the checkouts. And they were cheap but nobody here wanted
> them. They did smell good.

So sweet it makes my fillings feel electrically charged.

> But there were many bad smells in that
> store. I smelled what I think was patchouli somewhere near the
> cafeteria. Daughter thought it was mold. But I think some people
> mistake patchouli for mold. I say this because I once wore patchouli
> oil to work and a coworker kept telling me that she smelled mold.

Now that I think about it there is a similarity in bouquet.

Best do sandalwood in future...or tea tree oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2015 10:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "W. Lohman" > wrote in message
>
>> Yeah, it's a mixed bag there.
>>
>> Some stuff is really worth the rat-maze experience, but not a lot.

> I saw a lot of stuff that I for sure would not buy. Things on display,
> sitting there broken. Also the seats in the cafeteria had the finish
> worn off in spots to where they just looked dirty.
>
> I got a throw blanket for $1.49. It's thin but it worked in the car. I
> was freezing on the way there. Heh. But all of the other blankets I
> touched felt very rough.

Your store must have really seen some heavy traffic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-25 11:48 AM, barbie gee wrote:

>>> Okay. Cue Julie for the reasons she can't eat those.

>> I don't eat shrimp and most bread has something in it that I can't
>> eat. I don't recall seeing any sandwiches there. I did see a wrap.

> I thought you werent' there yet?

Oops. Looks like she got her lies confused again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Okay. Cue Julie for the reasons she can't eat those.

>> I don't eat shrimp and most bread has something in it that I can't eat.
>> I don't recall seeing any sandwiches there. I did see a wrap.

> I thought you werent' there yet?

We were there yesterday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I don't eat shrimp and most bread has something in it that I can't
>>> eat. I don't recall seeing any sandwiches there. I did see a wrap.

>> I thought you werent' there yet?
>>

> Oops. Looks like she got her lies confused again.

There were no lies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" > wrote in message
> On 4/24/2015 10:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "W. Lohman" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Yeah, it's a mixed bag there.
>>>
>>> Some stuff is really worth the rat-maze experience, but not a lot.

>> I saw a lot of stuff that I for sure would not buy. Things on display,
>> sitting there broken. Also the seats in the cafeteria had the finish
>> worn off in spots to where they just looked dirty.
>>
>> I got a throw blanket for $1.49. It's thin but it worked in the car. I
>> was freezing on the way there. Heh. But all of the other blankets I
>> touched felt very rough.

> Your store must have really seen some heavy traffic.

They were very busy. Took us several tries to get a parking space.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 1:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I thought you werent' there yet?
>>>

>> Oops. Looks like she got her lies confused again.

> There were no lies.

I know, you even caught the cinnamon rolls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> \
>> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture store
>> to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of wood and you
>> want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item foods.
>>
>> This one deserves an award.

> The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.
> I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
> food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
> elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
> little European markets.

Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
1950s cocktail party food.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 1:51:13 PM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> > \
> >> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture store
> >> to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of wood and you
> >> want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item foods.
> >>
> >> This one deserves an award.

> > The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.
> > I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
> > food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
> > elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
> > little European markets.

> Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
> 1950s cocktail party food.

Julie won't/doesn't eat Swedish meatballs for some gawd only knows reason.
You'll just have to Google for info...that's what I do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 12:51:13 PM UTC-7, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> > \
> >> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture store
> >> to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of wood and you
> >> want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item foods.
> >>
> >> This one deserves an award.

> > The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.
> > I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
> > food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
> > elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
> > little European markets.

> Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
> 1950s cocktail party food.
>

> ---

They do indeed, in Norway and Denmark too! I know folks really like the IKEA ones, but I don't think they're close to good homemade ones. The ones I make are so good, easy to make and freeze, a real comfort food.

Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in news:mhe4e6$sgu$1
@dont-email.me:

> Oh. Well I can get those things anywhere too.

Imported from Sweden?

--
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in news:mhf624$1vm$1
@dont-email.me:

> It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to be in
> English.

Det är dags att lära sig svenska

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Desmond Tutu
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-25 3:51 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> \
>>> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture store
>>> to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of wood and you
>>> want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item foods.
>>>
>>> This one deserves an award.

>> The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.
>> I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
>> food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
>> elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
>> little European markets.

> Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
> 1950s cocktail party food.

They are certainly a traditional dish. When we were in Sweden for
Midsommer a few years ago we had a traditional Midsommer dinner with
our Swedish friend and her family. There was herring, herring and more
herring...pickled, salted, cured, with sour cream. The hostess' sister
advised us not to bother with the fermented stuff. Then there smoked
eel, gravlox, sausage, reindeer and meatballs. They are also common in
Denmark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 1:51:13 PM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> > \

>> > The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for
>> > me.
>> > I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about
>> > the
>> > food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
>> > elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
>> > little European markets.

>> Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
>> 1950s cocktail party food.
>>

> Julie won't/doesn't eat Swedish meatballs for some gawd only knows reason.
> You'll just have to Google for info...that's what I do.

2 slices fresh white bread
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 pound ground chuck
3/4 pound ground pork
2 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups beef broth
1/4 cup heavy cream

Yep, icky stuff alright.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-25 5:58 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> Det är dags att lära sig svenska

Jag hette Dave. Jag toller inte Svenska.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
> hcrg.pbz...

>>> I don't eat shrimp and most bread has something in it that I can't
>>> eat. I don't recall seeing any sandwiches there. I did see a wrap.

>> I thought you werent' there yet?

> We were there yesterday.

Yep. She wrote she wanted to go yesterday (4/24), posted yesterday. So
it's entirely plausible she was there yesterday. Today is 4/25.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 12:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
> hcrg.pbz...
>>> Ah, well... I don't think I need any of that stuff but I will look.

>> My fave there is a shrimp sandwich in the cafeteria. They have a lot
>> of different things to eat...
>>
>> <http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/food/>

> I bought the frozen meatballs and two packages of sauce but not really
> sure how to make it. It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to
> be in English.

Hmmmmm. Please explain how you know what exact ingredients are in the
Swedish meatballs they serve at Ikea.

Once upon a time:

"I have always wanted to try the meatballs as I have heard that they are
really good. But do [sic] to the ingredients in said meatballs, I can
not eat them now."

Please *do* tell us how you know what exactly is in Ikea Swedish meatballs.

Next, please explain how buying frozen (undoubtedly heat & eat,
precooked) meatballs and packages of powdered "sauce" written in a
language you can't identify or read makes sense. Yep, you're concerned
about the ingredients!

Don't forget to tell everyone what a good cook you are.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 12:52 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> \
>> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture
>> store to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of
>> wood and you want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item foods.
>>
>> This one deserves an award.

> The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.

Nope. So, who *did* you buy a couple of kitchen carts for? Of course
you bought them for you. Gee, they failed? I wonder why. It just
follows you'd then buy a cheap desk from them. Fodder for future posts
about shopping failures.

> I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
> food.

Uh huh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:mhe4e6$sgu$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>> Oh. Well I can get those things anywhere too.

> Imported from Sweden?

I don't know what that was in reference to but we can get a lot of things
imported from Sweden here. We have a big Swedish population.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:mhf624$1vm$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>> It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to be in
>> English.

> Det är dags att lära sig svenska

I looked at it again. There are English instructions but I need to buy
cream to make it. Bah! What good is a powdered sauce if I have to buy
cream? And there is apple in the sauce. Weird. Does not appear to be what
they served in the restaurant. That looked like a creamy beef gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/25/2015 12:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>> hcrg.pbz...
>>>
>>> My fave there is a shrimp sandwich in the cafeteria. They have a lot
>>> of different things to eat...
>>>
>>> <http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/food/>

>> I bought the frozen meatballs and two packages of sauce but not really
>> sure how to make it. It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to
>> be in English.

> Hmmmmm. Please explain how you know what exact ingredients are in the
> Swedish meatballs they serve at Ikea.

I don't but in general, Swedish meatballs have at least dairy, if not egg
and quite possibly bread crumbs. I guess I could read the bag that I have
in my freezer but I don't feel like doing that. I am pretty sure that what
they serve are the same as the frozen ones. This lady has recreated them at
home and it is just like I said.

http://www.4theloveoffoodblog.com/20...ith-gravy.html

Swedish meatballs are one thing that my mom made several times a year so I
am familiar with how they are usually made. And I also have a Swedish
friend and live in a community that is heavily populated by Swedish people.

I'm also not stupid, despite what some here might think. I am very familiar
with restaurant menus and how they often prepare their food. Which means
that given the foods I must avoid, most of it is off limits to me. This is
why I do not dine out often.

> Once upon a time:
>
> "I have always wanted to try the meatballs as I have heard that they are
> really good. But do [sic] to the ingredients in said meatballs, I can not
> eat them now."
>
> Please *do* tell us how you know what exactly is in Ikea Swedish
> meatballs.

No, Jill. I am not going to walk to the freezer and look at the bag. All
that walking yesterday has worn me out and I was doing some work outside
earlier. Have you never made Swedish meatballs before? I do know that
dairy is *always* in there.

> Next, please explain how buying frozen (undoubtedly heat & eat, precooked)
> meatballs and packages of powdered "sauce" written in a language you can't
> identify or read makes sense. Yep, you're concerned about the
> ingredients!

I wasn't concerned about the ingredients because I *know* that I can't eat
them. Now that I am out of the crowded store and was able to look at the
packets without my glasses on and in better light I can see that there are
instructions in English and I will have to buy cream to make it.

> Don't forget to tell everyone what a good cook you are.

Oh hey! FOAD! I know. I just freaking KNOW that I am not the only person
on this newsgroup to have bought their meatballs to take home. It has been
discussed here before. I don't cook every single meal that we eat. You
don't cook every meal either! You admit that here. We had food from Taco
Time last night. I had planned to have a snack of refried beans from Taco
John's at McChord AFB but as it turned out, about every other business in
the mall was closed. And they were one of them. So I had to eat as soon as
we got in because it was well past dinner time, especially since we had to
get an early start on the day and it had been a long time since breakfast.
Yes, I did have that salad but I didn't even come close to filling the bowl.
What did I get from Taco Time? Beans and rice. No cheese. What did the
others get? I'm sure that nobody here cares. Oh! Did I tell you to FOAD?
Yeah, I know that I did. I just wanted to say it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/25/2015 3:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>> hcrg.pbz...

>>> I thought you werent' there yet?

>> We were there yesterday.

> Yep. She wrote she wanted to go yesterday (4/24), posted yesterday. So
> it's entirely plausible she was there yesterday. Today is 4/25.

My first post was late at night. Then it occurred to me that people might
not have the chance to respond before we left, but Angela was running late
so I could check. So far the desk is fine. I didn't have to assemble it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" > wrote in message
> On 4/25/2015 1:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Oops. Looks like she got her lies confused again.

>> There were no lies.

> I know, you even caught the cinnamon rolls.

These people have issues. I'm doing quite well today. My gutters are all
clean. And I have replaced my Feng Shui things in the yard. If the
universe sees shabby, broken things out there, it will think that we deserve
no better. The last couple of wind storms did a number on some of my
spinners. I put out three large ones from Big Lots and the remaining
holographic pinwheels. I just placed an order for some more. I like to
keep extras so I can replace as needed. I love bright colors and would love
to have real flowers year round but just doesn't work here so I have to make
do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> \
>>> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture
>>> store to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of wood
>>> and you want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item foods.
>>>
>>> This one deserves an award.

>> The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.
>> I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
>> food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
>> elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
>> little European markets.

> Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
> 1950s cocktail party food.

I have never been to Sweden. And neither has my Swedish friend. I had a
neighbor who lived there. I did ask her about the food and she told me that
they ate a lot of potatoes. And cheese.

I don't think of Swedish meatballs as a cocktail food. We always had them
with egg noodles or mashed potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 1:51:13 PM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> > \

>> > The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for
>> > me.
>> > I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about
>> > the
>> > food. But after looking at what they sell, most is stuff I can get
>> > elsewhere anyway. We have a large Swedish population here and lots of
>> > little European markets.

>> Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
>> 1950s cocktail party food.
>>

> Julie won't/doesn't eat Swedish meatballs for some gawd only knows reason.
> You'll just have to Google for info...that's what I do.

Because they contain egg and dairy and I can not have those things. I do
like them though. I do not make meatballs from scratch. That is one thing
I do not do! I have tried a few times and failed. I used to buy some at
the military commissary. They sold both Swedish and Italian. I served both
kinds to my Italian in-laws and they were well liked and people assumed that
I had made them from scratch. I did make the sauces from scratch.
Meatballs are also something that we don't eat often in this house. So...
If I can buy good ones, then I will.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Roy" > wrote in message

>>> Do they eat Swedish meatballs in Sweden? I always thought that was some
>>> 1950s cocktail party food.
>>>

>> Julie won't/doesn't eat Swedish meatballs for some gawd only knows
>> reason.
>> You'll just have to Google for info...that's what I do.

> 2 slices fresh white bread
> 1/4 cup milk
> 3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided
> 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
> A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
> 3/4 pound ground chuck
> 3/4 pound ground pork
> 2 large egg yolks
> 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
> 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
> 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
> 3 cups beef broth
> 1/4 cup heavy cream
>
> Yep, icky stuff alright.

There you go. Egg and dairy. Both of which make me so sick to my stomach
that I will avoid eating them. It's not worth it to me to eat something
that tastes good but will keep me at home and in the bathroom, moaning in
pain for most of the next day. YMMV.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/25/2015 12:52 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> \
>>> This is perhaps your finest work yet. Imagine going to a furniture
>>> store to buy a particle board desk covered in a plastic picture of
>>> wood and you want us to believe you have concerns about shelf item
>>> foods.
>>>
>>> This one deserves an award.

>> The desk wasn't for me. I would not buy most of their furniture for me.

> Nope. So, who *did* you buy a couple of kitchen carts for? Of course you
> bought them for you. Gee, they failed? I wonder why. It just follows
> you'd then buy a cheap desk from them. Fodder for future posts about
> shopping failures.

Again... *I* did not buy the desk. *I* did not buy anything. I did not
spend so much as a penny in there. Oh wait! I did use the toilet. But I'm
not British so that term doesn't apply.

At the time that I got the carts, I needed something to put in the kitchen
to hold extra things like paper products, cleaning products, trash and
Biobags. There is not much room at all for storage under the sink and once
again, I have no pantry. I also didn't have a lot of money at the time. I
had just fixed up the kitchen to get it looking good for the inspection.

These carts were the right color and they were cheap. So I made do with
them for the time being. Unlike you, l didn't inherit a house or even any
money. For the most part right now, I have to make do. You may remember
but the VA still owes my husband quite a chunk of change. We were able to
get the new roof and we will soon be getting the house painted. I am
waiting to see how the house next door will come out. They are in the
process of painting it and *oh snap* the main color that they used is very
similar to what I had picked out. And I really do not like the way it looks
on that house but... They have a different roof and trim colors. So I am
going to rethink my plans. Neighbor on the other side just put his house on
the market so I am thinking it would be best for me to hold off on the
painting until the open houses are over with. I make no promises when this
house will get painted but it should be soon.

I do what I can. I sometimes have to make do with things that aren't
necessarily what I would really want. I still haven't found a perfect cart.
I did get another one. It works much better for me from the sturdiness
aspect and the color is good but it's a tad on the ugly side. But it will
have to do.

>> I've not heard good things about it. I have heard good things about the
>> food.

> Uh huh.

I have. The first time I heard of the store was when we lived in Alameda.
They put one in Berkley. They were constantly talking about it on whatever
radio station we listened to at the time and how good the meatballs were.
Which is why I wanted to go there! I had no need, the entire time that we
lived there for any furniture or kitchen stuff. In fact, our apartment was
so tiny that much of what we owned had to be stored in the garage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:41:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
1...
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:mhf624$1vm$1
>> @dont-email.me:
>>
>>> It's a powder and the instructions don't seem to be in
>>> English.

>> Det är dags att lära sig svenska

>I looked at it again. There are English instructions but I need to buy
>cream to make it. Bah! What good is a powdered sauce if I have to buy
>cream? And there is apple in the sauce. Weird. Does not appear to be what
>they served in the restaurant. That looked like a creamy beef gravy.

You don't seem to have much experience with cooking. I base that on
the naivety evident in your posts - also - you appear to hate both
food and cooking food... it's a really unhealthy and negative outlook
you've got there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:03:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I have never been to Sweden. And neither has my Swedish friend.

Another instance of 'when worlds collide'
They could make a sequel - Planet Bove V.S Earth.

Lunch at Ikea Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 8 29-11-2013 09:23 PM
Lunch at Ikea Janet General Cooking 1 26-11-2013 04:56 AM
Eating at IKEA koko General Cooking 39 19-05-2009 12:17 AM
IKEA rules Blair P. Houghton Tea 6 04-01-2006 11:51 PM
Ikea (was Snowed In) Sharon Chilson General Cooking 0 15-12-2005 08:39 PM