Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eating at IKEA

We've spent wayyyy too much time and money at IKEA lately.
The last time we were there we decided to try their cafe. Well really
cafeteria.
http://i40.tinypic.com/30ka6mq.jpg

Stan had the Chicken Cesar Salad.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2u5z8fb.jpg

And I had the salmon with apple sauce and nice veggies.
http://i40.tinypic.com/10y0z1h.jpg

I thought I was picking up a shrimp salad. Come to find out it was a
shrimp sandwich. I ate all but the bread, but I did taste it and it
was a nice wheat bread.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5kkl90.jpg

The food was pretty darned good. Stan's salad was full of chicken and
very tasty. My salmon was moist and the sauce was delicious.
We'd do it again for sure.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> We've spent wayyyy too much time and money at IKEA lately.
> The last time we were there we decided to try their cafe. Well really
> cafeteria.
> http://i40.tinypic.com/30ka6mq.jpg
>
> Stan had the Chicken Cesar Salad.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/2u5z8fb.jpg
>
> And I had the salmon with apple sauce and nice veggies.
> http://i40.tinypic.com/10y0z1h.jpg
>
> I thought I was picking up a shrimp salad. Come to find out it was a
> shrimp sandwich. I ate all but the bread, but I did taste it and it
> was a nice wheat bread.
> http://i41.tinypic.com/5kkl90.jpg
>
> The food was pretty darned good. Stan's salad was full of chicken and
> very tasty. My salmon was moist and the sauce was delicious.
> We'd do it again for sure.

Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
some nice desserts, too.

I could see why a lot of local people would go there for lunch often.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
> some nice desserts, too.

I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:bxpPl.21970$9S1.8726
@newsfe30.ams2 on May Fri 2009 pm

> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.

What! No longanberries?? (i mighta spelled that wrong).

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:bxpPl.21970$9S1.8726
> @newsfe30.ams2 on May Fri 2009 pm
>
>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>

> What! No longanberries?? (i mighta spelled that wrong).

You did. Lingonberries. Ikea serves meatballs with lingonberries. I like
them on the once or twice a year I go to Ikea.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
>> some nice desserts, too.

>I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
>Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
>unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.
>
>-sw

We've a million square feet Ikea opening here soon. Interesting
hearing about this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in
> news:bxpPl.21970$9S1.8726 @newsfe30.ams2 on May Fri 2009 pm
>
>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>

> What! No longanberries?? (i mighta spelled that wrong).

No, you know me and that whole fruit on meat thing. But they had
these crazy good cookies I'd make a special trip for!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy > wrote in on May Fri
2009 pm

> You did. Lingonberries.

lingonberries and brie in a puff pastry shell....warm right outa the oven is to die for.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
>> some nice desserts, too.

>I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
>Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
>unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.

You must live on another planet, Stevie.

Maybe their larger products aren't the best quality, but you'll buy
something. If you say you can keep a strangle hold onto your wallet
and walk out without spending a single cent on your first or second
trip to IKEA (no excuses about standing in line), either you're lying
or you're not a real human being.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Tracy >
wrote:

> hahabogus wrote:
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:bxpPl.21970$9S1.8726
> > @newsfe30.ams2 on May Fri 2009 pm
> >
> >> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
> >>

> > What! No longanberries?? (i mighta spelled that wrong).
> >

> You did. Lingonberries. Ikea serves meatballs with lingonberries. I like
> them on the once or twice a year I go to Ikea.

The Ikea on South Philadelphia, which looks out onto the Delaware River
has a nice cafeteria. On Thursday evenings, they have live jazz there
with the river as a backdrop. I love their Swedish meatballs with those
round steamed potatoes and lingonberry sauce. This Ikea cafeteria has a
small salad bar, so I usually get a cup of soup and a bowl of salad go
to with the swedish meatballs. The food there is great and its very
inexpensive. Hell, maybe I will go there today for lunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
> > After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
> > some nice desserts, too.

> I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
> Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
> unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.

I love Ikea. I truly hate shopping, but Ikea is one of the few stores
where I enjoy shopping. I have a lot of things from there. All but one
of my lamps is from Ikea. My entertainment center is from Ikea, and so
is my desk and my DVD cabinets. I also have a glass curio cabinet from
Ikea, although I bought it used from a co-worker. My dishes and cutlery
are Ikean too. Ikea's prices are so reasonable, plus I like the style of
a lot of their products and I find the staff there to be polite and
helpful and I rarely wait in lines to check out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
>>> some nice desserts, too.

>> I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
>> Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
>> unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.
>>

> You must live on another planet, Stevie.
>
> Maybe their larger products aren't the best quality, but you'll buy
> something. If you say you can keep a strangle hold onto your wallet
> and walk out without spending a single cent on your first or second
> trip to IKEA (no excuses about standing in line), either you're lying
> or you're not a real human being.

I was in Ikea recently. We were in the process of looking for a new
couch for my living room and there is a large furniture store next to
Ikea. It would have been such a waste to not at least check out Ikea
too, right? The DH and DS were DETERMINED to not let me buy anything. We
walked through the showroom fairly quickly and then proceeded to the
marketplace. The first thing I spotted was a package of pink straws. I
had to have those. Of course I needed them. The guys pretty much gave up
at that point.

Tracy
(I also picked up some cute little shot glasses, some tea towels and
some candles. I would have done much more damage without the two guys.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> We've spent wayyyy too much time and money at IKEA lately.
> The last time we were there we decided to try their cafe. Well really
> cafeteria.
> http://i40.tinypic.com/30ka6mq.jpg
>
> Stan had the Chicken Cesar Salad.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/2u5z8fb.jpg
>
> And I had the salmon with apple sauce and nice veggies.
> http://i40.tinypic.com/10y0z1h.jpg
>
> I thought I was picking up a shrimp salad. Come to find out it was a
> shrimp sandwich. I ate all but the bread, but I did taste it and it
> was a nice wheat bread.
> http://i41.tinypic.com/5kkl90.jpg
>
> The food was pretty darned good. Stan's salad was full of chicken and
> very tasty. My salmon was moist and the sauce was delicious.
> We'd do it again for sure.

The food is not only good, it's cheap. The closest Ikea is about 50
miles from us but is on the way home from a lot of our destinations. If
we are heading home and have to grab a dinner we go to that Ikea. It is
good,fast and cheap. I just have to be careful not to go through the
store because I just can't walk through it without seeing something to buy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:bxpPl.21970$9S1.8726
> @newsfe30.ams2 on May Fri 2009 pm
>
>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>

> What! No longanberries?? (i mighta spelled that wrong).

Lingon berries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> I love Ikea. I truly hate shopping, but Ikea is one of the few stores
> where I enjoy shopping. I have a lot of things from there. All but one
> of my lamps is from Ikea. My entertainment center is from Ikea, and so
> is my desk and my DVD cabinets. I also have a glass curio cabinet from
> Ikea, although I bought it used from a co-worker. My dishes and cutlery
> are Ikean too. Ikea's prices are so reasonable, plus I like the style of
> a lot of their products and I find the staff there to be polite and
> helpful and I rarely wait in lines to check out.

A lot of their stuff is crap, but they do have some good stuff. I went
there a few years ago to look for a stand of some sort for my TV.
Everything in the stores around here was too small, and those that were
large enough and had enough shelves for a TV, VCR, DVD. Stereo receiver
and satellite receiver were megabucks. It also had to be low because
the ceiling in the TV room is sloped. I found a nice one at IKEA, low
enough to fit right up to the wall and allow for the ceiling slope and
with enough surface area for the TV and speakers and with four shelves.
best of all, it was only $75.

I stock up on candles whenever I go there. They are a fraction of the
price of most candles and they burn a long time without dripping wax all
over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 10:18*pm, koko > wrote:
> We've spent wayyyy too much time and money at IKEA lately.
> The last time we were there we decided to try their cafe. Well really
> cafeteria.http://i40.tinypic.com/30ka6mq.jpg
>
> Stan had the Chicken Cesar Salad.http://i44.tinypic.com/2u5z8fb.jpg
>
> And I had the salmon with apple sauce and nice veggies.http://i40.tinypic..com/10y0z1h.jpg
>
> I thought I was picking up a shrimp salad. Come to find out it was a
> shrimp sandwich. I ate all but the bread, but I did taste it and it
> was a nice wheat bread.http://i41.tinypic.com/5kkl90.jpg
>
> The food was pretty darned good. Stan's salad was full of chicken and
> very tasty. My salmon was moist and the sauce was delicious.
> We'd do it again for sure.
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *George Bernard Shawwww.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 05/15

I like IKEA's cafeteria a lot. Even if I'm not eating a meal there, I
like to get their lingonberry drink to have while I walk around the
store.

I particularly like their open-faced shrimp dill sandwich. Their
(super cheap) breakfasts are good too!

I love IKEA in general. (drool)

Kris, who also happens to be Swedish
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 1:04*am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
>
> > wrote:
> >On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Nice! *When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs. *
> >> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. *They had
> >> some nice desserts, too. *

> >I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
> >Ikeas. *Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
> >unimpressed with Ikea. *Not only the food, but the whole store.

> You must live on another planet, Stevie. *
>
> Maybe their larger products aren't the best quality, but you'll buy
> something. *If you say you can keep a strangle hold onto your wallet
> and walk out without spending a single cent on your first or second
> trip to IKEA (no excuses about standing in line), either you're lying
> or you're not a real human being. *

I don't need anything. I walked into Ikea and thought about replacing
my couch, redoing my kitchen, and ended up buying a shelf and a set of
small storage jars. Then had to think of a way to use them.
Fortunately for me, they are not on my way to anywhere, so I'm not
tempted to wander around there much.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:bxpPl.21970$9S1.8726
> @newsfe30.ams2 on May Fri 2009 pm
>
>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>

> What! No longanberries?? (i mighta spelled that wrong).

Lingonberries. Very nice with poultry as well as meatballs.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
>>> some nice desserts, too.

>> I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
>> Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
>> unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.
>>

> You must live on another planet, Stevie.
>
> Maybe their larger products aren't the best quality, but you'll buy
> something. If you say you can keep a strangle hold onto your wallet
> and walk out without spending a single cent on your first or second
> trip to IKEA (no excuses about standing in line), either you're lying
> or you're not a real human being.

As a minimum their large planters are gorgeous and relatively
inexpensive. Their kitchen utensils, paper napkins, gift wrap, vases,
everyday glassware, serving pieces, storage items, bookcases, "Poang"
chairs, small area rugs, etc. are hard to beat for design and price.

I can't wait for the Denver area store to open next year.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
>>> some nice desserts, too.

>>I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
>>Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
>>unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.
>>

> You must live on another planet, Stevie.
>
> Maybe their larger products aren't the best quality, but you'll buy
> something. If you say you can keep a strangle hold onto your wallet
> and walk out without spending a single cent on your first or second
> trip to IKEA (no excuses about standing in line), either you're lying
> or you're not a real human being.

I have been in an Ikea maybe 3-4 times. I have never purchased a thing
there. That is not to say that I haven't wanted to. Circumstances just
dictated at the times I was there no purchases could be made. The last time
I was at a skating competition and had the car loaded with stuff and no room
for anything new.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 11:08:26 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>As a minimum their large planters are gorgeous and relatively
>inexpensive.

It just so happens I'm in the market for planters and haven't found
anything I like on this side of the Bay yet. I should take a trip
over the Bridge and visit IKEA.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 13:50:23 -0400, "Debbie"
> wrote:
>
>I have been in an Ikea maybe 3-4 times. I have never purchased a thing
>there. That is not to say that I haven't wanted to. Circumstances just
>dictated at the times I was there no purchases could be made. The last time
>I was at a skating competition and had the car loaded with stuff and no room
>for anything new.

That sort of thing happens, Debbie. Circumstances were against you.
It's impossible to walk through that store without finding something
you can't live without. LOL! They are evil marketing geniuses.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:04:57 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>>> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them. They had
>>> some nice desserts, too.

>>I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
>>Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
>>unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.
>>

> You must live on another planet, Stevie.
>
> Maybe their larger products aren't the best quality, but you'll buy
> something. If you say you can keep a strangle hold onto your wallet
> and walk out without spending a single cent on your first or second
> trip to IKEA (no excuses about standing in line), either you're lying
> or you're not a real human being.

I bought a silcone basting brush and a three-pack of nylon cutting
boards. And some sweedish meatballs.

The housing holding the silcone nipples in place broke even before I
used it. One cutting board warped the first time I put it in the
dishwasher. One of the other handles broke within a month. The
thrid one, the smallest, I don't think I've ever used.

And they wanted me to pay extra for a simple shopping bag to put my
purchases in to take home. They also made me bus my own table, and
the people who were sitting there before me just so I could eat
their below average sweedish meatballs.

Ikea has a nice big scam going. They say they're doing these
cost-cutting measures to save you money, but they charge you extra
for every knob and accessory needed to complete your purchace of
cheap, flimsy furniture that may look nice on the outisde (Hey -
it's designed in Scandanavia!), but is really the same old
Chinese-made quality you'd get at Walmart for half the price. And
it is all made in China.

And it's suckers like you that fall for it.

And yes, I did buy something the first and last time I was there.
Once you're inside, you can't get out unless you travel through the
whole store. So you're boound to pick up something.

Ikea is marketing for suckers. Some of the stuff mnay attractive,
but it sure ain't functional.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 07:31:28 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:

> Ikea's prices are so reasonable, plus I like the style of
> a lot of their products and I find the staff there to be polite and
> helpful and I rarely wait in lines to check out.

They have staff other than at the checkouts? That's news to me.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

On Sat, 16 May 2009 20:24:03 -0500, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>Some of the stuff mnay attractive, but it sure ain't functional.

It's basically for renters. Use it and throw it out.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:54:00 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> A lot of their stuff is crap, but they do have some good stuff. I went
> there a few years ago to look for a stand of some sort for my TV.
> Everything in the stores around here was too small, and those that were
> large enough and had enough shelves for a TV, VCR, DVD. Stereo receiver
> and satellite receiver were megabucks. It also had to be low because
> the ceiling in the TV room is sloped. I found a nice one at IKEA, low
> enough to fit right up to the wall and allow for the ceiling slope and
> with enough surface area for the TV and speakers and with four shelves.
> best of all, it was only $75.

They sure as hell didn't have anything like like you describe for
$75 when I went there a year ago. And that's one thing I would have
sondiered. That and a single column dresser, all of which were too
narrow, to shallow, and had cheap slides. Even the floor models were
all borken in some way or another. Halfway decent plywood (not MDF
or PB) ones with veneer were $300-$400. But again, cheap
construction.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 16 May 2009 07:31:28 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > Ikea's prices are so reasonable, plus I like the style of
> > a lot of their products and I find the staff there to be polite and
> > helpful and I rarely wait in lines to check out.

> They have staff other than at the checkouts? That's news to me.

There are two Ikea stores in my area. One is only a 10 minute drive, the
other's roughly 45 minutes. I never have trouble finding staff out on
the floor if I need help at either Ikea store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> A lot of their stuff is crap, but they do have some good stuff. I went
> there a few years ago to look for a stand of some sort for my TV.
> Everything in the stores around here was too small, and those that were
> large enough and had enough shelves for a TV, VCR, DVD. Stereo receiver
> and satellite receiver were megabucks. It also had to be low because
> the ceiling in the TV room is sloped. I found a nice one at IKEA, low
> enough to fit right up to the wall and allow for the ceiling slope and
> with enough surface area for the TV and speakers and with four shelves.
> best of all, it was only $75.
>
> I stock up on candles whenever I go there. They are a fraction of the
> price of most candles and they burn a long time without dripping wax all
> over.

I have an entertainment cabinet from Ikea that's unlike anything else I
have seen. I bought it four years ago and its holding up well. I just
wanted a black unit on wheels that could hold my stereo gear and a large
screen TV. Ikea is the only store that had anything close to what I
wanted, and at $300, it was very reasonable. I wanted something on
wheels so I could easily pull it away from the wall to get at the back
of my stereo components and it had to be big enough to hold a decent
size TV. I have a 42" flat screen high def TV and there's plenty of room
around it for me to get to the cable ports, even without rolling the
cabinet away from the wall. Plus Ikea sells CD/DVD cabinets that match,
so I have two cabinets on either side that hold my movie DVDs. It works
out great.

I also have a desk with a hutch that I have never seen anywhere, but at
Ikea. It was around $200 or so when I bought it four years ago with my
entertainment cabinet. I wanted a big disk with a hutch that could be
adjusted, plus adjustable shelves above the hutch. I used it up until
two months ago with my old Apple PowerMac G5 and a 23" Apple Cinema
Display. That old Mac died on me in March. I replaced it with a new 24"
iMac and much to my dismay, the iMac was 1" too tall. It hit the lower
shelf in the hutch. So I cleaned off that shelf, got an alans wrench and
I raised that shelf two inches. Now, my iMac fits nicely on my desk.
This adjustability is exactly why I bought that desk and it worked out
well. Its rock solid, and extremely functional, but I have to admit, it
is kind of ugly looking. The metal parts are gray and the desk and
shelves are black, but its the best computer desk I have ever owned. I
would love to get one in my office at work, but the supplier we have to
use for office furniture doesn't sell anything like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote

> I have an entertainment cabinet from Ikea that's unlike anything else I
> have seen. I bought it four years ago and its holding up well. I just
> wanted a black unit on wheels that could hold my stereo gear and a large
> screen TV. Ikea is the only store that had anything close to what I
> wanted, and at $300, it was very reasonable. I wanted something on
> wheels so I could easily pull it away from the wall to get at the back
> of my stereo components.

At any Lowes/Home Depot for like $20 you can buy four wheels that can
support up to like a ton that will fit onto any furniture. I bought the
fancy schmancy brushed nickle caster wheels for my entertainment center...
only needed a few minutes to install, with 16 screws and screwdriver. You
can also buy all kinds of wheels on line... a few years ago I became tired
of the chintzy plastic wheels on my computer chair that didn't roll very
smoothly, that would suddenly crack for no apparent reason, and also were so
narrow that they'd cut into my nice Rubbermaid desk chair pad... and even
though for free I became tired of getting the same cheap plastic
replacements when I called the chair company, plus it was a hassle havin gto
wait like two weeks for the one stinkin' wheel to arrive, and even though
bought the chair from Staples they don't honor the chair company warranty,
nor do they sell spare wheels... in fact I couldn't find desk chair casters
that would fit my chair or any typical computer chair sold at any store...
musta called a dozen commercial office furniture store, no luck. So I
contacted this web site by phone and they helped me choose the appropriate
large diameter, double-wide, twin wheel, steel bodied chair casters, five
nice heavy duty wheels including shipping for just under $30, and they
arrived in four days, perfect! If ever I change chairs, and I probably will
at some point, I will be sure to save these wheels for the next chair:
http://www.servicecaster.com/shepherd.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:04:57 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:57:16 -0500, Sqwertz
>> > wrote:

>>> I think Stouffers Swedish meatballs are significan't better than
>>> Ikeas. Those being the only Sweedish meatballs I know, I was
>>> unimpressed with Ikea. Not only the food, but the whole store.
>>>

>> You must live on another planet, Stevie.
>>
>> Maybe their larger products aren't the best quality, but you'll buy
>> something. If you say you can keep a strangle hold onto your wallet
>> and walk out without spending a single cent on your first or second
>> trip to IKEA (no excuses about standing in line), either you're lying
>> or you're not a real human being.

> I bought a silcone basting brush and a three-pack of nylon cutting
> boards. And some sweedish meatballs.
>
> The housing holding the silcone nipples in place broke even before I
> used it. One cutting board warped the first time I put it in the
> dishwasher. One of the other handles broke within a month. The
> thrid one, the smallest, I don't think I've ever used.
>
> And they wanted me to pay extra for a simple shopping bag to put my
> purchases in to take home. They also made me bus my own table, and
> the people who were sitting there before me just so I could eat
> their below average sweedish meatballs.
>
> Ikea has a nice big scam going. They say they're doing these
> cost-cutting measures to save you money, but they charge you extra
> for every knob and accessory needed to complete your purchace of
> cheap, flimsy furniture that may look nice on the outisde (Hey -
> it's designed in Scandanavia!), but is really the same old
> Chinese-made quality you'd get at Walmart for half the price. And
> it is all made in China.
>
> And it's suckers like you that fall for it.
>
> And yes, I did buy something the first and last time I was there.
> Once you're inside, you can't get out unless you travel through the
> whole store. So you're boound to pick up something.
>
> Ikea is marketing for suckers. Some of the stuff mnay attractive,
> but it sure ain't functional.
>
> -sw

Here's a tip... You can get well-made furniture, made of real
wood, at consignment shops, thrift stores, and antique stores.
Maybe yard sales and estate sales too. It might even be cheaper
than that ubiquitous crud.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them.

Me too, the one time I ate at Ikea. They were okay, but nothing I'd
them.

Matthew
--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote
>>
>> I have an entertainment cabinet from Ikea that's unlike anything else I
>> have seen. I bought it four years ago and its holding up well. I just
>> wanted a black unit on wheels that could hold my stereo gear and a large
>> screen TV. Ikea is the only store that had anything close to what I
>> wanted, and at $300, it was very reasonable. I wanted something on
>> wheels so I could easily pull it away from the wall to get at the back
>> of my stereo components.

> At any Lowes/Home Depot for like $20 you can buy four wheels that can
> support up to like a ton that will fit onto any furniture. I bought the
> fancy schmancy brushed nickle caster wheels for my entertainment center...
> only needed a few minutes to install, with 16 screws and screwdriver. You
> can also buy all kinds of wheels on line... a few years ago I became tired
> of the chintzy plastic wheels on my computer chair that didn't roll very
> smoothly, that would suddenly crack for no apparent reason, and also were
> so narrow that they'd cut into my nice Rubbermaid desk chair pad... and
> even though for free I became tired of getting the same cheap plastic
> replacements when I called the chair company, plus it was a hassle havin
> gto wait like two weeks for the one stinkin' wheel to arrive, and even
> though bought the chair from Staples they don't honor the chair company
> warranty, nor do they sell spare wheels... in fact I couldn't find desk
> chair casters that would fit my chair or any typical computer chair sold
> at any store... musta called a dozen commercial office furniture store, no
> luck. So I contacted this web site by phone and they helped me choose the
> appropriate large diameter, double-wide, twin wheel, steel bodied chair
> casters, five nice heavy duty wheels including shipping for just under
> $30, and they arrived in four days, perfect! If ever I change chairs, and
> I probably will at some point, I will be sure to save these wheels for the
> next chair: http://www.servicecaster.com/shepherd.htm

Site saved. Thanks. Desk chair casters are a bitch to find.

Where would I be if I'd killfiled ol' Shelly?

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:16:42 +0100, Matthew Malthouse
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:28:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:
>
>> Nice! When I went to their cafe, it was for the swedish meatballs.
>> After hearing about them for so long, I had to try them.

>Me too, the one time I ate at Ikea. They were okay, but nothing I'd
>them.

I have a feeling that's going to be my reaction too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
TFM® > wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Stan Horwitz" > wrote
> >>
> >> I have an entertainment cabinet from Ikea that's unlike anything else I
> >> have seen. I bought it four years ago and its holding up well. I just
> >> wanted a black unit on wheels that could hold my stereo gear and a large
> >> screen TV. Ikea is the only store that had anything close to what I
> >> wanted, and at $300, it was very reasonable. I wanted something on
> >> wheels so I could easily pull it away from the wall to get at the back
> >> of my stereo components.

> > At any Lowes/Home Depot for like $20 you can buy four wheels that can
> > support up to like a ton that will fit onto any furniture. I bought the
> > fancy schmancy brushed nickle caster wheels for my entertainment center...
> > only needed a few minutes to install, with 16 screws and screwdriver. You
> > can also buy all kinds of wheels on line... a few years ago I became tired
> > of the chintzy plastic wheels on my computer chair that didn't roll very
> > smoothly, that would suddenly crack for no apparent reason, and also were
> > so narrow that they'd cut into my nice Rubbermaid desk chair pad... and
> > even though for free I became tired of getting the same cheap plastic
> > replacements when I called the chair company, plus it was a hassle havin
> > gto wait like two weeks for the one stinkin' wheel to arrive, and even
> > though bought the chair from Staples they don't honor the chair company
> > warranty, nor do they sell spare wheels... in fact I couldn't find desk
> > chair casters that would fit my chair or any typical computer chair sold
> > at any store... musta called a dozen commercial office furniture store, no
> > luck. So I contacted this web site by phone and they helped me choose the
> > appropriate large diameter, double-wide, twin wheel, steel bodied chair
> > casters, five nice heavy duty wheels including shipping for just under
> > $30, and they arrived in four days, perfect! If ever I change chairs, and
> > I probably will at some point, I will be sure to save these wheels for the
> > next chair: http://www.servicecaster.com/shepherd.htm

> Site saved. Thanks. Desk chair casters are a bitch to find.
>
> Where would I be if I'd killfiled ol' Shelly?

I never thought of buying wheels separately. My entertainment center
serves me well and so do the desk chairs I have at home and work, so its
not something I need to buy now, but I will keep it in mind for future
furniture purchases.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never even seen an IKEA store. We don't have any here in NH. Are
there any in New England? Where, please? If they have food too, I just
might have to go looking for one.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH wrote:
> I've never even seen an IKEA store. We don't have any here in NH. Are
> there any in New England? Where, please? If they have food too, I just
> might have to go looking for one.
>
> Denise

There is one in Avon, MA. I think another one is coming to Somerville, MA.
They have a cafeteria and sell some of their food. I would not consider
Ikea to be a food store.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH wrote:
> I've never even seen an IKEA store. We don't have any here in NH. Are
> there any in New England? Where, please? If they have food too, I
> just might have to go looking for one.

Stoughton Mass, is that near enough to you?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH wrote:
> I've never even seen an IKEA store. We don't have any here in NH. Are
> there any in New England? Where, please? If they have food too, I just
> might have to go looking for one.
>
> Denise

Yes. In Mass. We pass it going to the Medieval Faire, which is
in Carver.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Denise in NH wrote:
>> I've never even seen an IKEA store. We don't have any here in NH. Are
>> there any in New England? Where, please? If they have food too, I just
>> might have to go looking for one.
>> Denise

> There is one in Avon, MA. I think another one is coming to Somerville, MA.
> They have a cafeteria and sell some of their food. I would not consider
> Ikea to be a food store.
>

> Tracy

Somerville????

Speaking o' food there, I did notice that they carry Almondy....

http://www.almondy.com/uk/index.html

Would you believe I first found this at a health food store?
IIRC, it must be gluten-free.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> Denise in NH wrote:
>>> I've never even seen an IKEA store. We don't have any here in NH. Are
>>> there any in New England? Where, please? If they have food too, I just
>>> might have to go looking for one.
>>> Denise

>> There is one in Avon, MA. I think another one is coming to Somerville,
>> MA.
>> They have a cafeteria and sell some of their food. I would not
>> consider Ikea to be a food store.
>>

>> Tracy

> Somerville????
>
> Speaking o' food there, I did notice that they carry Almondy....
>
> http://www.almondy.com/uk/index.html
>
> Would you believe I first found this at a health food store? IIRC, it
> must be gluten-free.

That's the rumor. Assembly Square I believe.
I never noticed Almondy. It looks interesting.

I need to go back to Ikea soon for a few things. Maybe some shelves.

Tracy

Ikea Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 407 30-04-2015 03:58 PM
Lunch at Ikea Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 8 29-11-2013 10:23 PM
Lunch at Ikea Janet General Cooking 1 26-11-2013 05:56 AM
IKEA rules Blair P. Houghton Tea 6 05-01-2006 12:51 AM
Ikea (was Snowed In) Sharon Chilson General Cooking 0 15-12-2005 09:39 PM