Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Honey Bourbon Bacon

Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
enough.

It won't become my regular bacon, but it is a nice change for a meal
or two. I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
ago and it is now my regular brand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/14, 5:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> .... I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
> ago and it is now my regular brand.

Same for us -- though our choice is the Applewood Smoked, which seems to
have a lot more smokiness than the Hickory Smoked. The Applewood Smoked
bacon grease is terrific for cooking.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2014 5:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
> like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
> good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
> enough.
>
> It won't become my regular bacon, but it is a nice change for a meal
> or two. I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
> ago and it is now my regular brand.

I haven't noticed Honey Bourbon Bacon but then I haven't looked. I
usually buy Wright's brand bacon, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 05:51:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
>like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
>good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
>enough.
>
>It won't become my regular bacon, but it is a nice change for a meal
>or two. I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
>ago and it is now my regular brand.

YUM!!! Sounds delicious!! :-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
>like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
>good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
>enough.
>
>It won't become my regular bacon, but it is a nice change for a meal
>or two. I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
>ago and it is now my regular brand.

I don't see Honey Bourbon at their web site:
http://wrightbrand.com/

Perhaps you can use their coupons:
http://wrightbrand.couponrocker.com/...FaZj7AodTjwAuQ

Sold at Walmart, check your store for availability:
http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=wrightbrand%20

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:55:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/10/2014 5:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
> > like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
> > good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
> > enough.
> >
> > It won't become my regular bacon, but it is a nice change for a meal
> > or two. I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
> > ago and it is now my regular brand.
> >

> I haven't noticed Honey Bourbon Bacon but then I haven't looked. I
> usually buy Wright's brand bacon, too.

I'm not the bacon buyer in this family and I am not brand loyal with
(the exception of Heinz ketchup) anyway. I can't recall ever seeing
anything called Wrights, but I know I've seen Great Value. The
question is "where"?
http://lifewithlaura.com/bacon-usda-...mbers-and-you/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2014 9:33 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
>> like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
>> good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
>> enough.
>>
>> It won't become my regular bacon, but it is a nice change for a meal
>> or two. I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
>> ago and it is now my regular brand.

> I don't see Honey Bourbon at their web site:
> http://wrightbrand.com/

Ed stated it's a limited edition offering. No need to update their web
site only to take it down again.

> Perhaps you can use their coupons:
> http://wrightbrand.couponrocker.com/...FaZj7AodTjwAuQ
>
> Sold at Walmart, check your store for availability:
> http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=wrightbrand%20

So go get some. Me, I'm not driving to the other side of town to
Walmart just to buy bacon. I can get that brand at Publix or Food Lion.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:55:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> > On 10/10/2014 5:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
> > > like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
> > > good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
> > > enough.
> > >
> > > It won't become my regular bacon, but it is a nice change for a meal
> > > or two. I tried Wrights for the first time just a couple of months
> > > ago and it is now my regular brand.
> > >

> > I haven't noticed Honey Bourbon Bacon but then I haven't looked. I
> > usually buy Wright's brand bacon, too.
> >

> I'm not the bacon buyer in this family and I am not brand loyal with
> (the exception of Heinz ketchup) anyway. I can't recall ever seeing
> anything called Wrights, but I know I've seen Great Value. The
> question is "where"?
> http://lifewithlaura.com/bacon-usda-...mbers-and-you/

The same plant does not meant the same product. Indeed the Mal-Wart
brand is likely made with meat that didn't pass QC standard for the
Wright Brand but is still decent.

At any rate the Wright Brand is what I normally buy and it is very good
quality even if it is an IBP/Tyson product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 06:41:00 -0700, sf > wrote:

snip
>I'm not the bacon buyer in this family and I am not brand loyal with
>(the exception of Heinz ketchup) anyway. I can't recall ever seeing
>anything called Wrights, but I know I've seen Great Value. The
>question is "where"?
>http://lifewithlaura.com/bacon-usda-...mbers-and-you/

I think Great Value is Walmart.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/14, 12:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 06:41:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> .... I can't recall ever seeing
>> anything called Wrights, but I know I've seen Great Value. The
>> question is "where"?

> I think Great Value is Walmart.

Wright's is in Publix.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2014 12:49 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 10/10/14, 12:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 06:41:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> .... I can't recall ever seeing
>>> anything called Wrights, but I know I've seen Great Value. The
>>> question is "where"?

>> I think Great Value is Walmart.

> Wright's is in Publix.
>
> -- Larry

She meant Great Value is the name for Walmart's store branded stuff.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:42:45 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 06:41:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> snip
> >I'm not the bacon buyer in this family and I am not brand loyal with
> >(the exception of Heinz ketchup) anyway. I can't recall ever seeing
> >anything called Wrights, but I know I've seen Great Value. The
> >question is "where"?
> >http://lifewithlaura.com/bacon-usda-...mbers-and-you/

> I think Great Value is Walmart.

I don't shop at Walmart, so it was elsewhere.... if it's a discount
brand, maybe it was Grocery Outlet or Smart & Final.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2014 1:36 PM, sf wrote:

>> I think Great Value is Walmart.

> I don't shop at Walmart, so it was elsewhere.... if it's a discount
> brand, maybe it was Grocery Outlet or Smart & Final.

I've seen a few things at Stop & Shop under the Great Value brand.
Butter comes to mind.It is limited though, but I've seen it. Maybe Wal
Mart is selling excess capacity or something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 05:51:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Wrights has a limited edition Honey Bourbon Bacon for sale, Since I
> > like both of those, I thought I'd give it a try. IMO, it is pretty
> > good. A little sweet, but the flavors are not overpowering, just
> > enough.

> Stay away from their limited edition 5-Pepper bacon. It turns an
> unappealing black color and has a non-bacon flavor to it.
>
> My problem with all the Wright's brand limited editions is that
> they're exclusively sold by Walmart in my area.
>
> Also, Oscar Mayer has a Bourbon BBQ Bacon Jerky. It hasn't hit most
> retail shelves yet, but I got a few promotional packages and it's
> pretty good stuff. Much better than the Oberta brand bacon jerky.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Mayer-Ba.../dp/B00KS62VDU
>
> -sw

Any idea which jerky's are actually made in the US with US beef? It
seems a good many may be made in China and sometimes "Packaged in the
USA" just to get USA on the label for the gullible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:55:40 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
>
> > At any rate the Wright Brand is what I normally buy and it is very good
> > quality even if it is an IBP/Tyson product.

> I'm more inclined to buy products under the Tyson umbrella rather than
> the Chinese Smithfield unbrella.
>
> -sw

Yep. I try to avoid most any foodstuff from China except perhaps for
Tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:36:19 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:42:45 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 06:41:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>> >I'm not the bacon buyer in this family and I am not brand loyal with
>> >(the exception of Heinz ketchup) anyway. I can't recall ever seeing
>> >anything called Wrights, but I know I've seen Great Value. The
>> >question is "where"?
>> >http://lifewithlaura.com/bacon-usda-...mbers-and-you/

>> I think Great Value is Walmart.

>I don't shop at Walmart, so it was elsewhere.... if it's a discount
>brand, maybe it was Grocery Outlet or Smart & Final.

If you bought Great Value brand products you definitely shop
Walmart... there's likely a Gr8 Value Label tattooed on your
big flabby ass. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:01:50 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:55:40 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
>>
>> > At any rate the Wright Brand is what I normally buy and it is very good
>> > quality even if it is an IBP/Tyson product.

>> I'm more inclined to buy products under the Tyson umbrella rather than
>> the Chinese Smithfield unbrella.
>>
>> -sw

>Yep. I try to avoid most any foodstuff from China except perhaps for
>Tea.

Tea is not a food, nor is coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:17:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>>> I don't shop at Walmart, so it was elsewhere.... if it's a discount
>>> brand, maybe it was Grocery Outlet or Smart & Final.
>>>

>> I've seen a few things at Stop & Shop under the Great Value brand.
>> Butter comes to mind.It is limited though, but I've seen it. Maybe Wal
>> Mart is selling excess capacity or something.

>Highly unlikely that they're selling their store brand to other
>retailers.
>
>But there's nothing preventing a Quickie Mart from buying groceries at
>Walmart and reselling them at twice the cost. As long as the quickie
>mart isn't representing themselves directly or indirectly related to
>Walmart (unlike the Trader Joes/Pirate Joes situation).

In the early '50s my Aunt & Uncle owned a tiny grocery store in a tiny
rural NYS village... once a week they made the rounds of what were
major stupidmarkets in them days and bought products at much lower
cost than they could buy in small quantity from their wholesaler,
they'd spend the evening remarking prices... in those days prices were
rubber stamped in dark purple ink. I'm sure
today small stores are buying from Walmart to sell at much higher
prices in their small stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2014 6:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I don't shop at Walmart, so it was elsewhere.... if it's a discount
>>> brand, maybe it was Grocery Outlet or Smart & Final.
>>>

>> I've seen a few things at Stop & Shop under the Great Value brand.
>> Butter comes to mind.It is limited though, but I've seen it. Maybe Wal
>> Mart is selling excess capacity or something.

> Highly unlikely that they're selling their store brand to other
> retailers.
>
> But there's nothing preventing a Quickie Mart from buying groceries at
> Walmart and reselling them at twice the cost. As long as the quickie
> mart isn't representing themselves directly or indirectly related to
> Walmart (unlike the Trader Joes/Pirate Joes situation).
>
> -sw

This is a major chain in New England, not the corner market. I was
surprised to see the GV, but it is limited compared to WalMart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2014 11:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:10:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Highly unlikely that they're selling their store brand to other
>>> retailers.
>>>
>>> But there's nothing preventing a Quickie Mart from buying groceries at
>>> Walmart and reselling them at twice the cost. As long as the quickie
>>> mart isn't representing themselves directly or indirectly related to
>>> Walmart (unlike the Trader Joes/Pirate Joes situation).

>> This is a major chain in New England, not the corner market. I was
>> surprised to see the GV, but it is limited compared to WalMart.

> A major chain selling Great Value branded products? What's the name
> of the place?
>
> -sw

The one I mentioned originally. Stop and Shop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:16:52 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> What's the name
> of the place?
>
> -sw

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> There will never be an Long Whopper, Real Jerry. Not oval, not round,
>> not square, not nothing.

> I'm saving this message... and will be reposted IMMEDIATELY after BK makes
> the Announcement!!

I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
I'll give it to you.

>>> PLUS it woul dbe the added benefit of being the first oval shaped beef
>>> patty ever invented!

>> Salisbury steak patties - hamburger patties covered with gravy - have
>> been oval for about 100 years.

> Steak? Steak isn't a burger, steve.......... Where's teh bun, where's the
> ketchup, pickles, cheese... etc...

You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.

You lose again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:21:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Yeah, I've seen that misdirection

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> There will never be an Long Whopper, Real Jerry. Not oval, not round,
>> not square, not nothing.

> I'm saving this message... and will be reposted IMMEDIATELY after BK makes
> the Announcement!!

I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
I'll give it to you.

>>> PLUS it woul dbe the added benefit of being the first oval shaped beef
>>> patty ever invented!

>> Salisbury steak patties - hamburger patties covered with gravy - have
>> been oval for about 100 years.

> Steak? Steak isn't a burger, steve.......... Where's teh bun, where's the
> ketchup, pickles, cheese... etc...

You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.

You lose again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:17:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> But there's nothing preventing a Quickie Mart from buying groceries

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> There will never be an Long Whopper, Real Jerry. Not oval, not round,
>> not square, not nothing.

> I'm saving this message... and will be reposted IMMEDIATELY after BK makes
> the Announcement!!

I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
I'll give it to you.

>>> PLUS it woul dbe the added benefit of being the first oval shaped beef
>>> patty ever invented!

>> Salisbury steak patties - hamburger patties covered with gravy - have
>> been oval for about 100 years.

> Steak? Steak isn't a burger, steve.......... Where's teh bun, where's the
> ketchup, pickles, cheese... etc...

You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.

You lose again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:42:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Bobblehead Barbara strikes yet again.

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> There will never be an Long Whopper, Real Jerry. Not oval, not round,
>> not square, not nothing.

> I'm saving this message... and will be reposted IMMEDIATELY after BK makes
> the Announcement!!

I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
I'll give it to you.

>>> PLUS it woul dbe the added benefit of being the first oval shaped beef
>>> patty ever invented!

>> Salisbury steak patties - hamburger patties covered with gravy - have
>> been oval for about 100 years.

> Steak? Steak isn't a burger, steve.......... Where's teh bun, where's the
> ketchup, pickles, cheese... etc...

You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.

You lose again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:13:55 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Chinese Smithfield unbrella.

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> There will never be an Long Whopper, Real Jerry. Not oval, not round,
>> not square, not nothing.

> I'm saving this message... and will be reposted IMMEDIATELY after BK makes
> the Announcement!!

I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
I'll give it to you.

>>> PLUS it woul dbe the added benefit of being the first oval shaped beef
>>> patty ever invented!

>> Salisbury steak patties - hamburger patties covered with gravy - have
>> been oval for about 100 years.

> Steak? Steak isn't a burger, steve.......... Where's teh bun, where's the
> ketchup, pickles, cheese... etc...

You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.

You lose again.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:10:56 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> It turns an
> unappealing black color and has a non-bacon flavor to it.

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> There will never be an Long Whopper, Real Jerry. Not oval, not round,
>> not square, not nothing.

> I'm saving this message... and will be reposted IMMEDIATELY after BK makes
> the Announcement!!

I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
I'll give it to you.

>>> PLUS it woul dbe the added benefit of being the first oval shaped beef
>>> patty ever invented!

>> Salisbury steak patties - hamburger patties covered with gravy - have
>> been oval for about 100 years.

> Steak? Steak isn't a burger, steve.......... Where's teh bun, where's the
> ketchup, pickles, cheese... etc...

You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.

You lose again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:12:45 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> (cheap White bread,
> pickles, and onions are mandatory with Texas BBQ).
>
> -sw

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> There will never be an Long Whopper, Real Jerry. Not oval, not round,
>> not square, not nothing.

> I'm saving this message... and will be reposted IMMEDIATELY after BK makes
> the Announcement!!

I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
I'll give it to you.

>>> PLUS it woul dbe the added benefit of being the first oval shaped beef
>>> patty ever invented!

>> Salisbury steak patties - hamburger patties covered with gravy - have
>> been oval for about 100 years.

> Steak? Steak isn't a burger, steve.......... Where's teh bun, where's the
> ketchup, pickles, cheese... etc...

You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.

You lose again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2014 8:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:46:18 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 17:17:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Highly unlikely that they're selling their store brand to other
>>> retailers.
>>>
>>> But there's nothing preventing a Quickie Mart from buying groceries at
>>> Walmart and reselling them at twice the cost. As long as the quickie
>>> mart isn't representing themselves directly or indirectly related to
>>> Walmart (unlike the Trader Joes/Pirate Joes situation).

>> In the early '50s my Aunt & Uncle owned a tiny grocery store in a tiny
>> rural NYS village... once a week they made the rounds of what were
>> major stupidmarkets in them days and bought products at much lower
>> cost than they could buy in small quantity from their wholesaler,
>> they'd spend the evening remarking prices... in those days prices were
>> rubber stamped in dark purple ink. I'm sure
>> today small stores are buying from Walmart to sell at much higher
>> prices in their small stores.

> The only product from a grocery store I've seen being resold at a
> smaller store is HEB bread. HEB sells a 24oz loaf of White bread for
> $.68 which allows resellers to mark it up 300% and still cost $.50
> less than the name brand Mrs. Bairds or Krusteaz. Many of the local
> BBQ places also use it as their house bread (cheap White bread,
> pickles, and onions are mandatory with Texas BBQ).
>
> -sw

Most store bought croutons taste like sawdust, so I bought HEB bread to
make croutons, and that is when I noticed that HEB's bread was not bad
at all. Mrs. Baird's 7-Grain bread is my favorite, though.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-13 12:27 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

> Most store bought croutons taste like sawdust, so I bought HEB bread to
> make croutons, and that is when I noticed that HEB's bread was not bad
> at all. Mrs. Baird's 7-Grain bread is my favorite, though.

I bought some day old bread from my favourite local baker to make
stuffing for tonight' turkey. His day old bread costs more than the
fresh bread at the local grocery's in-store bakery, but it will make
good stuffing. I also used some bits and pieces of whole grain.

Speaking of sawdust.... I was out bicycling the other day and thought I
saw a chunk of rice cake at the side of the road. Not that I was going
to eat it, but as I got closer I realized it was a chunk of styrofoam.
It would have about the same calories and taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking