Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does anyone have a recipe for slow cooker bourbon pulled pork from scratch?

Does anyone have a recipe for slow cooker bourbon pulled pork from scratch? That is, a recipe with no bottled BBQ sauce or ketchup. I had one, once, using Pork shoulder, garlic and pepper rub, maybe ¼ cup bourbon, and a wee bit of tomato paste but I cant find it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
Does anyone have a recipe for slow cooker bourbon pulled pork from scratch?
That is, a recipe with no bottled BBQ sauce or ketchup. I had one, once,
using Pork shoulder, garlic and pepper rub, maybe ¼ cup bourbon, and a wee
bit of tomato paste but I cant find it...

Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson

Ingredients
2 lb. pork shoulder
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup bourbon
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 large onion, sliced

Directions
1.Season the pork with salt and pepper. Brown the pork on all sides and
place in slow cooker.
2.Scatter the sliced onions around the slow cooker.
3.In a large bowl, mix the dark brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, Dijon
mustard, and ketchup. Pour over the pork and onion mixture.
4.Set the slow cooker to low and cook the pork mixture for 8 hours.
5.At the end of 8 hours, remove the pork let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
6.Using an immersion blender, blend the onions and the sauce to a smooth
mixture. If you don't have an immersion blender, use your blender - it will
be just fine.
7.Shred the pork and mix some of the sauce with the shredded pork. Serve
with extra sauce if requested.

Read mo
http://cookinginstilettos.com/bourbo...#ixzz2ZjVYfIC8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:45:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for slow cooker bourbon pulled pork from scratch? That is, a recipe with no bottled BBQ sauce or ketchup. I had one, once, using Pork shoulder, garlic and pepper rub, maybe ¼ cup bourbon, and a wee bit of tomato paste but I cant find it...

Try Cat Cora's recipe. It doesn't call for tomato paste, but the rest
seems to fit your criteria. Add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste,
if you think it made a difference.
http://www.catcora.com/recipes/main-...k+with+Bourbon

Personally, I have two favorite ways to slow cook a pork
butt/shoulder. One is with beer and the other is apple juice (or use
apple cider, if it's the season)... with minimal other seasonings.
I've decided that I don't like the rubs that call for brown sugar and
powdered chili. However, I think the brown sugar in Cat Cora's recipe
is probably there to offset the bourbon, so I'd try it as written
first and vary it if I liked the result enough to try it again.

Good luck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> However, I think the brown sugar in Cat Cora's recipe
> is probably there to offset the bourbon,

I would like to oven barbeque some chicken next weekend and I want to make a
bourbon bbq sauce, homemade, not store bought. I plan to stop by the ABC
store (liquor store) this week to see if they sell one of those tiny
"airline bottles" of 1-2 oz of bourbon. That's all I need as I don't drink
it for pleasure.

I've had commercial sauce with that added and I do like it.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:35:27 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > However, I think the brown sugar in Cat Cora's recipe
> > is probably there to offset the bourbon,

> I would like to oven barbeque some chicken next weekend and I want to make a
> bourbon bbq sauce, homemade, not store bought. I plan to stop by the ABC
> store (liquor store) this week to see if they sell one of those tiny
> "airline bottles" of 1-2 oz of bourbon. That's all I need as I don't drink
> it for pleasure.

I have a slightly larger bottle of rum. I like to soak raisins in rum
before I use them. Rum balls are really good, but I don't make them
very often and only think of it during the holiday season. I like
rum, but I don't drink it at home - so that bottle (a pint?) has
lasted quite a long time.

> I've had commercial sauce with that added and I do like it.

Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce? Can't say I've ever purchased it and if I've
eaten it, the bourbon flavor was so faint that I didn't even notice
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 1:06 PM, sf wrote:
> Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce? Can't say I've ever purchased it and if I've
> eaten it, the bourbon flavor was so faint that I didn't even notice
> it.

It's not too bad, but there are store-brand bourbon peppercorn sauces
for grilling that do a far tastier job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:10:58 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> On 7/22/2013 1:06 PM, sf wrote:
> > Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce? Can't say I've ever purchased it and if I've
> > eaten it, the bourbon flavor was so faint that I didn't even notice
> > it.
> >

> It's not too bad, but there are store-brand bourbon peppercorn sauces
> for grilling that do a far tastier job.

Bourbon peppercorn sounds interesting - is it similar to the bourbon
peppercorn pan sauces that are on the internet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 2:10 PM, casa bona wrote:
> On 7/22/2013 1:06 PM, sf wrote:
>> Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce? Can't say I've ever purchased it and if I've
>> eaten it, the bourbon flavor was so faint that I didn't even notice
>> it.
>>

> It's not too bad, but there are store-brand bourbon peppercorn sauces
> for grilling that do a far tastier job.

Examples:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...rinade-i244540

This one has a fairly strong bourbon taste, but not so much for one to
be afraid of using it.

Safeway also has their own store brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 2:35 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:10:58 -0600, casa bona > wrote:
>
>> On 7/22/2013 1:06 PM, sf wrote:
>>> Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce? Can't say I've ever purchased it and if I've
>>> eaten it, the bourbon flavor was so faint that I didn't even notice
>>> it.
>>>

>> It's not too bad, but there are store-brand bourbon peppercorn sauces
>> for grilling that do a far tastier job.

> Bourbon peppercorn sounds interesting - is it similar to the bourbon
> peppercorn pan sauces that are on the internet?

It's quite a bit stronger to my taste buds, but you can certainly adjust
or sweeten with a bit of honey.

I also make a pan sauce using bourbon, shallots and green peppercorns,
but that's more to top off a filet that's already been grilled in spices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:41:30 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> On 7/22/2013 2:10 PM, casa bona wrote:
> > On 7/22/2013 1:06 PM, sf wrote:
> >> Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce? Can't say I've ever purchased it and if I've
> >> eaten it, the bourbon flavor was so faint that I didn't even notice
> >> it.
> >>

> > It's not too bad, but there are store-brand bourbon peppercorn sauces
> > for grilling that do a far tastier job.

> Examples:
>
> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...rinade-i244540
>
> This one has a fairly strong bourbon taste, but not so much for one to
> be afraid of using it.
>
> Safeway also has their own store brand.

Thanks for the link! I'm not big on marinades - so I don't ever look
in that section, but I'll make a note to self and see if it's on the
shelf here (or not).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2013 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:41:30 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

>>> It's not too bad, but there are store-brand bourbon peppercorn sauces
>>> for grilling that do a far tastier job.

>> Examples:
>>
>> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...rinade-i244540
>>
>> This one has a fairly strong bourbon taste, but not so much for one to
>> be afraid of using it.
>>
>> Safeway also has their own store brand.
>>

> Thanks for the link! I'm not big on marinades - so I don't ever look
> in that section, but I'll make a note to self and see if it's on the
> shelf here (or not).

You're welcome.

Try some in a teaspoon first and see if it's stronger than you like, as
it is stronger than a home made bourbon pan sauce for sure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I would like to oven barbeque some chicken next weekend and I want to make a
> > bourbon bbq sauce, homemade, not store bought. I plan to stop by the ABC
> > store (liquor store) this week to see if they sell one of those tiny
> > "airline bottles" of 1-2 oz of bourbon. That's all I need as I don't drink
> > it for pleasure.
> > I've had commercial sauce with that added and I do like it.
> >

> Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce? Can't say I've ever purchased it and if I've
> eaten it, the bourbon flavor was so faint that I didn't even notice
> it.

I've had the JD bbq sauce before and it's not bad. I might just cheat....buy
that and add just a little more bourbon to it.

As far as what commercial kind I've tried before, it was (believe it or not)
in the "Hungry Man" frozen dinners. They sell a steak in boubon sauce and
also chicken with bourbon sauce. I like that taste.

G.