Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Does anyone have a recipe for slow cooker bourbon pulled pork from scratch?

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:45:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for slow cooker bourbon pulled pork from scratch? That is, a recipe with no bottled BBQ sauce or ketchup. I had one, once, using Pork shoulder, garlic and pepper rub, maybe ¼ cup bourbon, and a wee bit of tomato paste but I cant find it...

Try Cat Cora's recipe. It doesn't call for tomato paste, but the rest
seems to fit your criteria. Add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste,
if you think it made a difference.
http://www.catcora.com/recipes/main-...k+with+Bourbon

Personally, I have two favorite ways to slow cook a pork
butt/shoulder. One is with beer and the other is apple juice (or use
apple cider, if it's the season)... with minimal other seasonings.
I've decided that I don't like the rubs that call for brown sugar and
powdered chili. However, I think the brown sugar in Cat Cora's recipe
is probably there to offset the bourbon, so I'd try it as written
first and vary it if I liked the result enough to try it again.

Good luck!