Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiled Peanuts

When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other things
I posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts, which
are green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the shell, in
brine. Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are soft. (You
either love them or hate them.)

This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's obviously
new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking roasted
peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other things I
> posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts, which are
> green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the shell, in brine.
> Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are soft. (You either
> love them or hate them.)
>
> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's obviously
> new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking roasted peanuts
> for boiled green peanuts.
>
> Jill

Did you tell her that they were merely roasted in the shell?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other things I
> posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts, which are
> green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the shell, in brine.
> Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are soft. (You either
> love them or hate them.)
>
> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's obviously
> new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking roasted peanuts
> for boiled green peanuts.

OMIGOD Jill got to laugh at a tourist. An older woman, no less, not
a young bright college student, but an uneducated ill-informed tourist
who did not know about the differences in peanuts. The mind boggles
to imagine such ignorant people actually travelling and despoiling the
pristine cultural wonder of the Lowcountry. I hope you told her off well,
Dear Jill, and instilled in her and whatever companions were with her
a dread fear of venturing into Your Lowcountry, Protect it well since
you recently inherited it and must feel a distinct protectiveness and
need to laugh at all who do not share your (1 year?) inherited knowledge.
And of course please do keep us informed of your Triumphs.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 8:45 PM, pavane wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other
>> things I posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts,
>> which are green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the
>> shell, in brine. Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are
>> soft. (You either love them or hate them.)
>>
>> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
>> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
>> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's
>> obviously new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking
>> roasted peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

> OMIGOD Jill got to laugh at a tourist. An older woman, no less, not
> a young bright college student, but an uneducated ill-informed tourist
> who did not know about the differences in peanuts. The mind boggles
> to imagine such ignorant people actually travelling and despoiling the
> pristine cultural wonder of the Lowcountry. I hope you told her off well,
> Dear Jill, and instilled in her and whatever companions were with her
> a dread fear of venturing into Your Lowcountry, Protect it well since
> you recently inherited it and must feel a distinct protectiveness and
> need to laugh at all who do not share your (1 year?) inherited knowledge.
> And of course please do keep us informed of your Triumphs.
>
> pavane

That was rather harsh.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:55:04 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 7/19/2013 8:45 PM, pavane wrote:
> >

> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >> When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other
> >> things I posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts,
> >> which are green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the
> >> shell, in brine. Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are
> >> soft. (You either love them or hate them.)
> >>
> >> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
> >> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
> >> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's
> >> obviously new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking
> >> roasted peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

> > OMIGOD Jill got to laugh at a tourist. An older woman, no less, not
> > a young bright college student, but an uneducated ill-informed tourist
> > who did not know about the differences in peanuts. The mind boggles
> > to imagine such ignorant people actually travelling and despoiling the
> > pristine cultural wonder of the Lowcountry. I hope you told her off well,
> > Dear Jill, and instilled in her and whatever companions were with her
> > a dread fear of venturing into Your Lowcountry, Protect it well since
> > you recently inherited it and must feel a distinct protectiveness and
> > need to laugh at all who do not share your (1 year?) inherited knowledge.
> > And of course please do keep us informed of your Triumphs.
> >
> > pavane

> That was rather harsh.

Unfortunately, pavane sounded just like Jill's "admirer": Earl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-07-20, pavane > wrote:

> OMIGOD Jill got to laugh at a tourist. An older woman, no less, not

(snip pot-calling-kettle-black rant)

> And of course please do keep us informed of your Triumphs.

Who ****ed in yer Wheaties?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jul 2013 12:01:18 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2013-07-20, pavane > wrote:
>
> > OMIGOD Jill got to laugh at a tourist. An older woman, no less, not

> (snip pot-calling-kettle-black rant)
>
> > And of course please do keep us informed of your Triumphs.

> Who ****ed in yer Wheaties?

I learned a new usenet word when casa was visiting: frogger. Maybe
that's what happened to pavane.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 8:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other
>> things I posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts,
>> which are green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the
>> shell, in brine. Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are
>> soft. (You either love them or hate them.)
>>
>> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
>> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
>> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's
>> obviously new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking
>> roasted peanuts for boiled green peanuts.
>>
>> Jill

> Did you tell her that they were merely roasted in the shell?
>
> Cheri

The guy running the stand told her.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 8:45 PM, pavane wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other
>> things I posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts,
>> which are green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the
>> shell, in brine. Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are
>> soft. (You either love them or hate them.)
>>
>> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
>> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
>> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's
>> obviously new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking
>> roasted peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

> OMIGOD Jill got to laugh at a tourist. An older woman, no less, not
> a young bright college student, but an uneducated ill-informed tourist
> who did not know about the differences in peanuts. The mind boggles
> to imagine such ignorant people actually travelling and despoiling the
> pristine cultural wonder of the Lowcountry. I hope you told her off well,
> Dear Jill, and instilled in her and whatever companions were with her
> a dread fear of venturing into Your Lowcountry, Protect it well since
> you recently inherited it and must feel a distinct protectiveness and
> need to laugh at all who do not share your (1 year?) inherited knowledge.
> And of course please do keep us informed of your Triumphs.
>
> pavane

Oh shut up. I didn't say anything to the woman. The guy running the
farm stand told her they were roasted peanuts. BTW, this isn't the
first time I've lived in the Lowcountry. We were stationed at Parris
Island in the 70's. And of course I've been here *many* times since my
parents moved here in 1987. It's not "new" to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2013 9:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:33:33 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
>> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
>> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's obviously
>> new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking roasted
>> peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

> They could have been Chinese style boiled peanuts. In which case the
> egg would be in YOUR face.
>
> -sw

I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
> Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
> the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
> typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.

What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I
think I might like them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> > >

> > I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
> > Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
> > the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
> > typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.
> >

> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I
> think I might like them.

For what it's worth, I think they are really nasty. I tried them once. They
came in a pack of brine and were unshelled. I was told that you eat the
shells and all. After a bite or two, I wrote them off forever. ;-o

I love peanuts but that was just *wrong*, imo.
You should give them a try once though and decide for yourself.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 10:01 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>>>

>> I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
>> Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
>> the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
>> typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.
>>

> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I
> think I might like them.

I *love* them! I indulge a couple of times a year. They are definitely
an acquired taste.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 10:12 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>>>
>>> I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
>>> Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
>>> the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
>>> typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.
>>>

>> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I
>> think I might like them.

> For what it's worth, I think they are really nasty. I tried them once. They
> came in a pack of brine and were unshelled. I was told that you eat the
> shells and all. After a bite or two, I wrote them off forever. ;-o

I've never eaten the shells, although I suppose you could do so with the
small ones. They're boiled in that brine for hours.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/19/2013 8:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> When I was at the farm stand today they were selling (among other
>>> things I posted about earlier) peanuts. These weren't boiled peanuts,
>>> which are green (raw) peanuts which have been long-cooked in the
>>> shell, in brine. Sometimes with other seasonings. Boiled peanuts are
>>> soft. (You either love them or hate them.)
>>>
>>> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
>>> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
>>> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's
>>> obviously new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking
>>> roasted peanuts for boiled green peanuts.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Did you tell her that they were merely roasted in the shell?
>>
>> Cheri

> The guy running the stand told her.
>
> Jill

That's good. I'm glad someone told her.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 11:47 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Did you tell her that they were merely roasted in the shell?
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> The guy running the stand told her.
>>
>> Jill

> That's good. I'm glad someone told her.
>
> Cheri

For all I knew they were raw peanuts in the shell. They don't put signs
up identifying what is what, you know? I just knew they weren't boiled
peanuts because weren't sold in bags with brine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-07-20 01:16:34 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:33:33 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
>> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
>> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's obviously
>> new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking roasted
>> peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

> They could have been Chinese style boiled peanuts. In which case the
> egg would be in YOUR face.

What's the difference? So far I haven't found a boiled peanut I can
tolerate, but I think the only ones I've had were Chinese. I'm
assuming they aren't brined, which I suppose could be a bonus for my
tastes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:01:48 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
>
> wrote:
>

> > I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make

> > Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in http://www.volcano.si.edu/weekly_report.cfm#vn_311240

> > the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they

> > typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.

> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I
>
> think I might like them.
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

They are popular here and I grew up with those. I can get them from markets and the fishing supply store down the street. They are peanuts boiled in salt, shoyu, and maybe a little sugar. The young folks might not care for them. My wife really likes them, they're so-so with me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:12:16 -0400, Gary wrote:

> For what it's worth, I think they are really nasty. I tried them once.
> They came in a pack of brine and were unshelled. I was told that you
> eat the shells and all. After a bite or two, I wrote them off forever.
> ;-o

You don't eat the shells!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 07:01:48 -0700, sf wrote:

> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I think
> I might like them.

Do you like edamame? They taste similar. I love boiled peanuts.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 7/19/2013 9:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:33:33 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
>>> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
>>> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's obviously
>>> new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking roasted
>>> peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

>> They could have been Chinese style boiled peanuts. In which case the
>> egg would be in YOUR face.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
>Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
>the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
>typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.
>
>Jill

Of course not... even the dwarf should be able to see the shells...
boiled peanuts are not in-shell.

I buy in-shell roasted unsalted peanuts to feed the birds;
http://www.hamptonfarms.com/
BJ's sells five pound bags for $5.99... I buy six bags each trip as I
don't go there but 3-4 times a year. Each morning I put out a two cup
scoopful of peanuts with the mixed seed and cracked corn. Occasionally
I eat some peanuts too, they are very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:12:16 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>> > >
>> > I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
>> > Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
>> > the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
>> > typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.
>> >

>> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I
>> think I might like them.

>For what it's worth, I think they are really nasty. I tried them once. They
>came in a pack of brine and were unshelled. I was told that you eat the
>shells and all. After a bite or two, I wrote them off forever. ;-o
>
>I love peanuts but that was just *wrong*, imo.
>You should give them a try once though and decide for yourself.

I buy a lot of Margaret Holmes products, their canned goods are
superb, so one day I tried the boiled peanuts, YUK, even the critters
wouldn't touch them.
http://www.margaretholmes.com/produc...oiled-peanuts/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 12:50:07 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 07:01:48 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I think
> > I might like them.

> Do you like edamame? They taste similar. I love boiled peanuts.

Yes, I like edamame... in fact, you might be interested in this
recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious. I sent it to
my DIL who was going to make it the following day for the kids, but
life got in the way. Maybe you can give it a shot and tell me what
you & the boys think.

It's supposed to be like popcorn
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crispy-edamame/detail.aspx

There's also this one (like hummus)
http://www.closetcooking.com/2009/07/edamame-dip.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:50:07 AM UTC-10, Tara wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 07:01:48 -0700, sf wrote:
>

> > What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I think

> > I might like them.

> Do you like edamame? They taste similar. I love boiled peanuts.
>

> Tara

I used to eat that when I was a kid. The young folk like boiled soy beans more than boiled peanuts. I prefer peanuts but can take or leave either of those boiled foods. I would definitely take a Peanut Butter Gaucho any day of the week - as long as they're not boiled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:39:05 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2013-07-20 01:16:34 +0000, Sqwertz said:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:33:33 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> This older woman was looking at loose peanuts in the shell at the farm
> >> stand. She asked the guy, "Are these boiled peanuts?" I chuckled to
> >> myself. They were merely roasted in the shell peanuts. She's obviously
> >> new to this part of the Lowcountry. There's no mistaking roasted
> >> peanuts for boiled green peanuts.

> > They could have been Chinese style boiled peanuts. In which case the
> > egg would be in YOUR face.

> What's the difference? So far I haven't found a boiled peanut I can
> tolerate, but I think the only ones I've had were Chinese. I'm
> assuming they aren't brined, which I suppose could be a bonus for my
> tastes.

One is boiled in just salt and water, the other one is boiled in
water, soy and spices (which and how much depends on the recipe).

There's even Hawaiian style
http://www.aidamollenkamp.com/2012/0...oiled-peanuts/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 1:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:01:48 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
>>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make

>>> Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in http://www.volcano.si.edu/weekly_report.cfm#vn_311240

>>> the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they

>>> typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.

>> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I
>>
>> think I might like them.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> They are popular here and I grew up with those. I can get them from markets and the fishing supply store down the street. They are peanuts boiled in salt, shoyu, and maybe a little sugar. The young folks might not care for them. My wife really likes them, they're so-so with me.

No shoyu (aka soy sauce) is added to the brine in boiled green peanuts
in SC. Sometimes peppers/red pepper seeds, yes. This isn't Hawaii.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 1:54 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:41:19 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>> I seriously doubt the folks running the farm or the farm stand make
>> Chinese style boiled peanuts. The guy told her they had roasted them in
>> the shell. They *could* have been raw peanuts. No way were they
>> typical South Carolina boiled green peanuts.
>>
>> Jill

> Of course not... even the dwarf should be able to see the shells...
> boiled peanuts are not in-shell.

Uh... yes, they are. They're boiled for hours in the shell in heavily
salted water. They're sold in bags (or canned) packaged in the brine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:05:44 -0700, sf wrote:

> Yes, I like edamame... in fact, you might be interested in this recipe.
> I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious. I sent it to my DIL who
> was going to make it the following day for the kids, but life got in the
> way. Maybe you can give it a shot and tell me what you & the boys think.
>
> It's supposed to be like popcorn
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crispy-edamame/detail.aspx

Oh, that does look good. I bet we would like it. I'll report back if I
try it. Thanks!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 2:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 10:39:05 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>>> They could have been Chinese style boiled peanuts. In which case the
>>> egg would be in YOUR face.

>> What's the difference? So far I haven't found a boiled peanut I can
>> tolerate, but I think the only ones I've had were Chinese. I'm
>> assuming they aren't brined, which I suppose could be a bonus for my
>> tastes.
>>

> One is boiled in just salt and water,

That's typical.

> the other one is boiled in
> water, soy and spices (which and how much depends on the recipe).

There's more than just one "other one". Sometimes they're boiled with
some hot pepper seeds. The result may be slightly spicy. Soy sauce
does not enter the equation.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 8:05 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 12:50:07 -0500, Tara >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 07:01:48 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> What do you think of boiled peanuts? The more I read, the less I think
>>> I might like them.

>> Do you like edamame? They taste similar. I love boiled peanuts.
>>

> Yes, I like edamame... in fact, you might be interested in this
> recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious. I sent it to
> my DIL who was going to make it the following day for the kids, but
> life got in the way. Maybe you can give it a shot and tell me what
> you & the boys think.
>
> It's supposed to be like popcorn
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crispy-edamame/detail.aspx

The recipe looks interesting. Frozen soybeans without the pods are
relatively new on this island. They've always been sold in the pods
loose in bins in markets. The main problem is that you're going to eat
too many if they're already out of the pod. I can only eat the beans in
one or two pods before I give up - too much work.

> There's also this one (like hummus)
> http://www.closetcooking.com/2009/07/edamame-dip.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:36:48 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/20/2013 2:09 PM, sf wrote:

> >> What's the difference? So far I haven't found a boiled peanut I can
> >> tolerate, but I think the only ones I've had were Chinese. I'm
> >> assuming they aren't brined, which I suppose could be a bonus for my
> >> tastes.
> >>

> > One is boiled in just salt and water,

> That's typical.
>
> > the other one is boiled in
> > water, soy and spices (which and how much depends on the recipe).

> There's more than just one "other one". Sometimes they're boiled with
> some hot pepper seeds. The result may be slightly spicy. Soy sauce
> does not enter the equation.

By other one, I was talking about Chinese style.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 8:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> No shoyu (aka soy sauce) is added to the brine in boiled green peanuts
> in SC. Sometimes peppers/red pepper seeds, yes. This isn't Hawaii.
>
> Jill

I figured that your boiled peanuts was different than the ones we had
here. They're served refrigerated which might make them even less
appetizing to folks on the mainland. I don't much care for them. You
have to work to get the peanuts and then you have a lot of debris left
over.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 7/20/2013 2:09 PM, sf wrote:

>>> What's the difference? So far I haven't found a boiled peanut I can
>>> tolerate, but I think the only ones I've had were Chinese. I'm
>>> assuming they aren't brined, which I suppose could be a bonus for my
>>> tastes.
>>>

>> One is boiled in just salt and water,

>That's typical.
>
>> the other one is boiled in
>> water, soy and spices (which and how much depends on the recipe).

>There's more than just one "other one". Sometimes they're boiled with
>some hot pepper seeds. The result may be slightly spicy. Soy sauce
>does not enter the equation.
>
>Jill

Margaret Holmes brand has a Cajun one, I haven't tried it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:46:34 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 7/20/2013 8:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> No shoyu (aka soy sauce) is added to the brine in boiled green peanuts
>> in SC. Sometimes peppers/red pepper seeds, yes. This isn't Hawaii.
>>
>> Jill

>I figured that your boiled peanuts was different than the ones we had
>here. They're served refrigerated which might make them even less
>appetizing to folks on the mainland. I don't much care for them. You
>have to work to get the peanuts and then you have a lot of debris left
>over.

Probably something birds won't eat, then I have no desire.
I like in-shell roasted peanuts (circus style), salted or unsalted but
I buy unsalted because I feed them to the birds. I tried boiled
peanuts once, they are disgusting tasting and look like giant
maggots... I'll never try them again no matter how seasoned. I'm not
a big fan of cocktail peanuts (canned or dry roasted), I do like the
Spanish peanuts of my childhood that were dispensed by the handful for
a penny from a vending machine but I can no longer find those, the
Spanish peanuts I find nowadays are not the same, not even close. I'm
not a big fan of peanut butter either... I much prefer in-shell
roasted peanuts. I also like beer nuts but buy them rarely. I used
to like teh peanuts in Cracker Jacks but Cracker Jacks are only a mere
shadow of their former self, I'd no longer buy them. I think most
peanut butters are a scam, less than half is peanuts, and the natual
peanut butters are just mutilated peanuts, hardly worth eating unless
in a chocolate confection. For me only in-shell roasted peanuts are
peanuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2013 8:40 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:36:48 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> There's more than just one "other one". Sometimes they're boiled with
>> some hot pepper seeds. The result may be slightly spicy. Soy sauce
>> does not enter the equation.
>>
>> Jill

> Margaret Holmes brand has a Cajun one, I haven't tried it.

That's aka 'The Peanut Patch' brand. Don't bother if you don't like
plain boiled peanuts.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:54:59 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Of course not... even the dwarf should be able to see the shells...
> boiled peanuts are not in-shell.

Sheldon,

Do you remember the Good 'ol Days when everybody took your posts as
Gospel? So many gullible people in the 80's and 90's were gaga over
your posts - you were the Katz's meow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>> For what it's worth, I think they are really nasty. I tried them once.
>> They
>> came in a pack of brine and were unshelled. I was told that you eat the
>> shells and all. After a bite or two, I wrote them off forever. ;-o

> If somebody told you to eat the shells you need to seek them out after
> all these years and beat the shit out of them.
>
> But you can still write off boiled peanuts. They sell them canned
> here in TX and they are the most god-awful things you can ever
> imagine.

That's what I bought. Canned. So awful I wouldn't give them to the food
bank!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> > For what it's worth, I think they are really nasty. I tried them once. They
> > came in a pack of brine and were unshelled. I was told that you eat the
> > shells and all. After a bite or two, I wrote them off forever. ;-o

> If somebody told you to eat the shells you need to seek them out after
> all these years and beat the shit out of them.

hahaha
No luck there...it was an old girlfriend. She wasn't joking though - she sat
there and ate them, shells and all. I did a quick google search this morning
though and did run across this:

While some people enjoy eating the peanut shells, a representative of the
Peanut Institute stated, "There is no nutritional value in peanut shells,
and we do not recommend eating them."

> But you can still write off boiled peanuts. They sell them canned
> here in TX and they are the most god-awful things you can ever
> imagine.

I believe you. I'll stick with roasted peanuts and Jiff.

G.

Boiled Peanuts Tara General Cooking 34 09-10-2014 01:02 PM
Boiled Green Peanuts jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 32 12-08-2011 06:23 PM
Hot smoked boiled peanuts Gene Barbecue 2 28-09-2009 02:14 AM
Boiled Peanuts International Recipes OnLine[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-10-2007 05:17 AM
Boiled Peanuts kilikini General Cooking 33 23-08-2006 01:30 AM