Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Boiled Peanuts

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:46:34 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 7/20/2013 8:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> No shoyu (aka soy sauce) is added to the brine in boiled green peanuts
>> in SC. Sometimes peppers/red pepper seeds, yes. This isn't Hawaii.
>>
>> Jill

>I figured that your boiled peanuts was different than the ones we had
>here. They're served refrigerated which might make them even less
>appetizing to folks on the mainland. I don't much care for them. You
>have to work to get the peanuts and then you have a lot of debris left
>over.

Probably something birds won't eat, then I have no desire.
I like in-shell roasted peanuts (circus style), salted or unsalted but
I buy unsalted because I feed them to the birds. I tried boiled
peanuts once, they are disgusting tasting and look like giant
maggots... I'll never try them again no matter how seasoned. I'm not
a big fan of cocktail peanuts (canned or dry roasted), I do like the
Spanish peanuts of my childhood that were dispensed by the handful for
a penny from a vending machine but I can no longer find those, the
Spanish peanuts I find nowadays are not the same, not even close. I'm
not a big fan of peanut butter either... I much prefer in-shell
roasted peanuts. I also like beer nuts but buy them rarely. I used
to like teh peanuts in Cracker Jacks but Cracker Jacks are only a mere
shadow of their former self, I'd no longer buy them. I think most
peanut butters are a scam, less than half is peanuts, and the natual
peanut butters are just mutilated peanuts, hardly worth eating unless
in a chocolate confection. For me only in-shell roasted peanuts are
peanuts.