Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiled Peanuts

My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show. They
came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste like they
were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/27/2014 1:13 PM, Tara wrote:
> My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show. They
> came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste like they
> were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!
>
> Tara

Congratulations on that win, Tara. I love boiled peanuts, but I never
tasted Cajun peanuts, before.

I like peanuts in any fashion. Growing up, we would roast shelled
peanuts in the oven, we would have roasted peanuts just as often as we
had popcorn. It is one of the first foods we learned to cook, having to
be careful not to burn yourself on the oven. You have to turn them every
8-10 minutes until they are done, then you have to wait for them to cool
down before you can eat them, that was the hardest part. The house
smelled so good while they were roasting, and I would crack the shell
and try to eat a peanut without burning my mouth - you know how kids
are, they are so impatient. Now, I do not see raw peanuts in the
supermarket, although they are probably there somewhere.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show.
> They came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste
> like they were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!
>
> Tara

Hi Tara, easy to make too. Crockpot recommended as it takes time to
get them just right and you do not make it faster with the stove but
it's a heck of a lot cheaper with a crockpot due to the energy use of
them.

Yes, cajun spiced work well!
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 9/27/2014 1:13 PM, Tara wrote:
>> My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show. They
>> came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste like they
>> were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!
>>
>> Tara

> Congratulations on that win, Tara. I love boiled peanuts, but I never
> tasted Cajun peanuts, before.
>
> I like peanuts in any fashion. Growing up, we would roast shelled peanuts
> in the oven, we would have roasted peanuts just as often as we had
> popcorn. It is one of the first foods we learned to cook, having to be
> careful not to burn yourself on the oven. You have to turn them every 8-10
> minutes until they are done, then you have to wait for them to cool down
> before you can eat them, that was the hardest part. The house smelled so
> good while they were roasting, and I would crack the shell and try to eat
> a peanut without burning my mouth - you know how kids are, they are so
> impatient. Now, I do not see raw peanuts in the supermarket, although
> they are probably there somewhere.

Here they are usually in the produce department.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2014 12:29 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
>> On 9/27/2014 1:13 PM, Tara wrote:
>>> My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show. They
>>> came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste like
>>> they
>>> were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!
>>>
>>> Tara

>> Congratulations on that win, Tara. I love boiled peanuts, but I never
>> tasted Cajun peanuts, before.
>>
>> I like peanuts in any fashion. Growing up, we would roast shelled
>> peanuts in the oven, we would have roasted peanuts just as often as we
>> had popcorn. It is one of the first foods we learned to cook, having
>> to be careful not to burn yourself on the oven. You have to turn them
>> every 8-10 minutes until they are done, then you have to wait for them
>> to cool down before you can eat them, that was the hardest part. The
>> house smelled so good while they were roasting, and I would crack the
>> shell and try to eat a peanut without burning my mouth - you know how
>> kids are, they are so impatient. Now, I do not see raw peanuts in the
>> supermarket, although they are probably there somewhere.

> Here they are usually in the produce department.

The local mini-mart here keeps them in a crockpot, self-serve. I haven't
tried them, but they smell great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:45:08 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:13:46 -0500, Tara wrote:
>

> > My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show. They

> > came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste like they

> > were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!

> "Winning" boiled peanuts is an oxymoron.
>

> -sw

I always thought boiled peanuts were one of the more horrid foods out there, but then again, I tried them out of a can, so maybe the fresh ones are better. They sure couldn't be any worse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher Helms" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:45:08 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:13:46 -0500, Tara wrote:
>>

>> > My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show. They

>> > came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste like
>> > they

>> > were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!

>> "Winning" boiled peanuts is an oxymoron.
>>

>> -sw

> I always thought boiled peanuts were one of the more horrid foods out
> there, but then again, I tried them out of a can, so maybe the fresh ones
> are better. They sure couldn't be any worse.

I only ever tried them in a can. Alas I bought a case of the things. I
figured, I love peanuts and beans so I am sure to love these! I was very
surprised to learn that they were in the shell and how slimy they were.
They were so horrid, I wouldn't even give them to the food bank.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I only ever tried them in a can. Alas I bought a case of the things. I
> figured, I love peanuts and beans so I am sure to love these! I was very
> surprised to learn that they were in the shell and how slimy they were.
> They were so horrid, I wouldn't even give them to the food bank.

Stupid to buy a case before tasting, Julie "buying a pig in a poke"
I've only tried them once. My daughter brought home a bag of boiled
peanuts one day. They were unshelled peanuts in a slimy salt brine.
ugghhh. And she even told me that you are supposed to eat them whole,
shells and all.

I tried one. That fulfilled my lifetime urge for boiled peanuts. ;-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:09:11 -0400, Gary wrote:

> And she even told me that you are supposed to eat them whole,
> shells and all.

You don't eat the shell!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2014 5:15 PM, Tara wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:09:11 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> And she even told me that you are supposed to eat them whole,
>> shells and all.

> You don't eat the shell!
>
> Tara

No, you definitely don't eat the shell.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 12:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/30/2014 5:15 PM, Tara wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:09:11 -0400, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> And she even told me that you are supposed to eat them whole,
>>> shells and all.

>> You don't eat the shell!
>>
>> Tara
>>

> No, you definitely don't eat the shell.
>
> Jill

Wikipedia says that you do eat the shells of the young, small peanuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:48:48 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> And they taste a lot less like musty dirt
> than those nasty boiled peanuts.
>
> -sw

> Omelet wrote:
>
>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 8:13:46 AM UTC-10, Tara wrote:
> My husband and kids won a quart of boiled peanuts at a car show. They
>
> came home with salted and Cajun boiled peanuts. The Cajun taste like they
>
> were boiled in crab boil. Very spicy!
>

> Tara

Boiled peanuts are popular in Hawaii. We don't make it spicy though. Over here, it's boiled in salt, star anise, and maybe some shoyu. The old locals like it. I've never made it - boiling peanuts for a couple of hours seems like a real drag. Mostly we buy the stuff in stores and the fishing supply store down the street. My guess is that it's just an excuse to drink more beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:15:05 -0700, dsi1 wrote:

> Boiled peanuts are popular in Hawaii. We don't make it spicy though.
> Over here, it's boiled in salt, star anise, and maybe some shoyu. The
> old locals like it. I've never made it - boiling peanuts for a couple of
> hours seems like a real drag. Mostly we buy the stuff in stores and the
> fishing supply store down the street. My guess is that it's just an
> excuse to drink more beer.

They do make you very thirsty.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:48:48 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> But there are some deep fried whole peanuts in the shell where you're
> supposed to eat the shell.

I might like those. I occasionally eat a few sunflower and pumpkin seeds
shell and all when I am craving some crunch.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/30/2014 5:15 PM, Tara wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:09:11 -0400, Gary wrote:
> >
> >> And she even told me that you are supposed to eat them whole,
> >> shells and all.

> > You don't eat the shell!
> >
> > Tara
> >

> No, you definitely don't eat the shell.

That's what my daughter told me so I tried it once, never again.
Nasty...boiled peanuts in shell, came in a plastic bag with slimy
feeling salt solution. arrghhh!

G.

PS - and you DO NOT eat shrimp shells either, good grief!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Travis McGee wrote:

> Wikipedia says that you do eat the shells of the young, small peanuts.

That's what I did and it was pretty damn nasty. Never again.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2014 11:15 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> You don't eat the shell!
>>>
>>> Tara
>>>

>> No, you definitely don't eat the shell.

> That's what my daughter told me so I tried it once, never again.
> Nasty...boiled peanuts in shell, came in a plastic bag with slimy
> feeling salt solution. arrghhh!
>
> G.
>
> PS - and you DO NOT eat shrimp shells either, good grief!

Quite a lot of people eat shrimps whose tails have not been removed.
They like the texture; I don't!

I don't like boiled peanuts eaten by themselves but shelled, boiled
peanuts give an interesting texture to some Thai dishes (I think I've
come across them in Chinese food too.)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 10/4/2014 11:15 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> No, you definitely don't eat the shell.

>> That's what my daughter told me so I tried it once, never again.
>> Nasty...boiled peanuts in shell, came in a plastic bag with slimy
>> feeling salt solution. arrghhh!
>>
>> G.
>>
>> PS - and you DO NOT eat shrimp shells either, good grief!
>>

> Quite a lot of people eat shrimps whose tails have not been removed. They
> like the texture; I don't!
>
> I don't like boiled peanuts eaten by themselves but shelled, boiled
> peanuts give an interesting texture to some Thai dishes (I think I've come
> across them in Chinese food too.)

Jimmy Carter ate (or tried to) eat the corn husk at a Mexican state dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2014 10:54 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> That's what my daughter told me so I tried it once, never again.
>>> Nasty...boiled peanuts in shell, came in a plastic bag with slimy
>>> feeling salt solution. arrghhh!
>>>
>>> G.
>>>
>>> PS - and you DO NOT eat shrimp shells either, good grief!
>>>

>> Quite a lot of people eat shrimps whose tails have not been removed. They
>> like the texture; I don't!
>>
>> I don't like boiled peanuts eaten by themselves but shelled, boiled
>> peanuts give an interesting texture to some Thai dishes (I think I've come
>> across them in Chinese food too.)
>>

> Jimmy Carter ate (or tried to) eat the corn husk at a Mexican state dinner.

That was just pitiful, but some people have never had a tamale before,
and that was President Gerald Ford in 1976, in front of the Alamo. I was
young at the time, but it made the news.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 11:21 AM, Tara wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:15:05 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Boiled peanuts are popular in Hawaii. We don't make it spicy though.
>> Over here, it's boiled in salt, star anise, and maybe some shoyu. The
>> old locals like it. I've never made it - boiling peanuts for a couple of
>> hours seems like a real drag. Mostly we buy the stuff in stores and the
>> fishing supply store down the street. My guess is that it's just an
>> excuse to drink more beer.

> They do make you very thirsty.
>
> Tara

My L&L Hawaiian Barbecue cookbook says to boil 2 pounds of raw peanuts
in salt water with a 3 or 4 star anise for 45 minutes stirring every 15
minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2014 5:39 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 10/4/2014 11:15 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> No, you definitely don't eat the shell.

>> That's what my daughter told me so I tried it once, never again.
>> Nasty...boiled peanuts in shell, came in a plastic bag with slimy
>> feeling salt solution. arrghhh!
>>
>> G.
>>
>> PS - and you DO NOT eat shrimp shells either, good grief!
>>

> Quite a lot of people eat shrimps whose tails have not been removed.
> They like the texture; I don't!
>
> I don't like boiled peanuts eaten by themselves but shelled, boiled
> peanuts give an interesting texture to some Thai dishes (I think I've
> come across them in Chinese food too.)

The Panda's fast food chain adds peanuts to their kung pao chicken. I
always go for the peanuts when I can. It's a great way to prepare
peanuts although I only get 2 or 3 peanuts per serving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2014 6:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/4/2014 5:39 AM, James Silverton wrote:

>>> That's what my daughter told me so I tried it once, never again.
>>> Nasty...boiled peanuts in shell, came in a plastic bag with slimy
>>> feeling salt solution. arrghhh!
>>>
>>> G.
>>>
>>> PS - and you DO NOT eat shrimp shells either, good grief!
>>>

>> Quite a lot of people eat shrimps whose tails have not been removed.
>> They like the texture; I don't!
>>
>> I don't like boiled peanuts eaten by themselves but shelled, boiled
>> peanuts give an interesting texture to some Thai dishes (I think I've
>> come across them in Chinese food too.)
>>

> The Panda's fast food chain adds peanuts to their kung pao chicken. I
> always go for the peanuts when I can. It's a great way to prepare
> peanuts although I only get 2 or 3 peanuts per serving.

If you order "sweet shrimp" for sushi, you will get nigiri sushi with
raw shrimp on top, and the shrimp heads floured and deep-fried served
separately. The heads are crisp and delicious, shell, antennae, and all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 11:39:20 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Quite a lot of people eat shrimps whose tails have not been removed.
> They like the texture; I don't!

I haven't quite figured out how to eat the salt and pepper crab at the
Chinese buffet. This is hard shell - not soft shell - fried crab, coated
with seasoned flour before frying. I just pick out the meat and nibble
at the coating on the picked over shells. You get a nice flavor from the
shell and coating. It's very ladylike.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2014 12:19 PM, Travis McGee wrote:

> If you order "sweet shrimp" for sushi, you will get nigiri sushi with
> raw shrimp on top, and the shrimp heads floured and deep-fried served
> separately. The heads are crisp and delicious, shell, antennae, and all.

I have heard people say this. I'm not quite yet game enough to try
something like that yet. My daughter used to like sushi with a whole
deep fried fish on it about 4 inches long. She grabbed one and gave it a
little kiss on it's fishy lips and then bit it's tiny lips off. That
shocked me real good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 9:46 AM, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 10/1/2014 12:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> You don't eat the shell!
>>>
>>> Tara
>>>

>> No, you definitely don't eat the shell.
>>
>> Jill

> Wikipedia says that you do eat the shells of the young, small peanuts.

Who the hell cares what Wikipedia says? It's a web site, not a person
who has actually eaten boiled peanuts.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2014 5:21 PM, Tara wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:15:05 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Boiled peanuts are popular in Hawaii. We don't make it spicy though.
>> Over here, it's boiled in salt, star anise, and maybe some shoyu. The
>> old locals like it. I've never made it - boiling peanuts for a couple of
>> hours seems like a real drag. Mostly we buy the stuff in stores and the
>> fishing supply store down the street. My guess is that it's just an
>> excuse to drink more beer.

> They do make you very thirsty.
>
> Tara

I cannot imagine boiling peanuts in soy sauce. Ugh!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2014 7:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/4/2014 12:19 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>> If you order "sweet shrimp" for sushi, you will get nigiri sushi with
>> raw shrimp on top, and the shrimp heads floured and deep-fried served
>> separately. The heads are crisp and delicious, shell, antennae, and all.

> I have heard people say this. I'm not quite yet game enough to try
> something like that yet. My daughter used to like sushi with a whole
> deep fried fish on it about 4 inches long. She grabbed one and gave it a
> little kiss on it's fishy lips and then bit it's tiny lips off. That
> shocked me real good.

I'm sure I'll be reading about her on alt.true-crime in the near future.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>> Wikipedia says that you do eat the shells of the young, small peanuts.

> That's what I did and it was pretty damn nasty. Never again.

Even trying to get them out of the shell was nasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/1/2014 9:46 AM, Travis McGee wrote:

>>> No, you definitely don't eat the shell.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Wikipedia says that you do eat the shells of the young, small peanuts.

> Who the hell cares what Wikipedia says? It's a web site, not a person who
> has actually eaten boiled peanuts.

How do you know that the person who wrote it hasn't eaten them. Anyone can
post there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 1:31:32 PM UTC-10, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 10/4/2014 7:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On 10/4/2014 12:19 PM, Travis McGee wrote:

> >> If you order "sweet shrimp" for sushi, you will get nigiri sushi with

> >> raw shrimp on top, and the shrimp heads floured and deep-fried served

> >> separately. The heads are crisp and delicious, shell, antennae, and all.

> > I have heard people say this. I'm not quite yet game enough to try

> > something like that yet. My daughter used to like sushi with a whole

> > deep fried fish on it about 4 inches long. She grabbed one and gave it a

> > little kiss on it's fishy lips and then bit it's tiny lips off. That

> > shocked me real good.

> I'm sure I'll be reading about her on alt.true-crime in the near future.

Well, nothing would surprise me these days. Alls we can do is endure and abide.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:57:23 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Christopher Helms" > wrote in message

> >> "Winning" boiled peanuts is an oxymoron.

> >> -sw

> > I always thought boiled peanuts were one of the more horrid foods out

> > there, but then again, I tried them out of a can, so maybe the fresh ones

> > are better. They sure couldn't be any worse.

> I only ever tried them in a can. Alas I bought a case of the things. I
>
> figured, I love peanuts and beans so I am sure to love these! I was very
>
> surprised to learn that they were in the shell and how slimy they were.
>
> They were so horrid, I wouldn't even give them to the food bank.

Try composting the little buggers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> I only ever tried them in a can. Alas I bought a case of the things.

Of course you bought a case of them. Online. That's how you shop for
food. Then you bitch about having bought a *case* of stuff no one will eat.

>> I figured, I love peanuts and beans

Heh.

>> so I am sure to love these! I was very
>> surprised to learn that they were in the shell and how slimy they were.

How could you be surprised they were in the shell if you'd tried the
canned ones? Of course they are in the shell. They're boiled in the shell.

>> They were so horrid, I wouldn't even give them to the food bank.

Boiled green peanuts are an acquired taste. I've made boiled peanuts
from scratch. You need young, fresh peanuts, lots of salt and boiling
water. Sometimes, as tara mentioned, there are other spices added.
Properly made, they are then mostly drained. The fresh ones from the
Carolina lowcountry aren't slimy.

The stuff you bought is canned right along with the brine and was
sitting in a warehouse for who knows how long before you came along and
ordered a *case*.

Jill