Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiled Peanuts

We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand yesterday and
got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday, in some
salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on them today.
Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a Hawaii thing, but when
I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over the place, it was
so wonderful.

Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.

Just thought I'd share.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 09:26:39a, kilikini meant to say...

> We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand yesterday
> and got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday,
> in some salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on them
> today. Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a Hawaii
> thing, but when I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over
> the place, it was so wonderful.
>
> Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
>
> Just thought I'd share.
>
> kili

How do you do that? In the shell or out? Roast afterward or not? My
grandfater used to grow peanuts. My granmother would boil them in salted
water in the shell, then roast them until dry in the oven. Delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Brought to you by the anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 09:26:39a, kilikini meant to say...
>
>> We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand
>> yesterday and got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all
>> day, yesterday, in some salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and
>> happily munching on them today. Boiled peanuts are so good! I
>> thought it was just a Hawaii thing, but when I moved to Florida and
>> saw boiled peanut stands all over the place, it was so wonderful.
>>
>> Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
>>
>> Just thought I'd share.
>>
>> kili

> How do you do that? In the shell or out? Roast afterward or not? My
> grandfater used to grow peanuts. My granmother would boil them in
> salted water in the shell, then roast them until dry in the oven.
> Delicious!

In the shell, of course! Boiled in heavily salted water. I was surprised
to find kili liked them (and no they aren't Hawaiian!). Was down in
Waltersboro SC when I first discovered them... want to add some diced
jalapeno peppers to the mix and you've got some hot peanuts! They sell them
in cans up here... kind of strange but there you have it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 10:07:15a, jmcquown meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 09:26:39a, kilikini meant to say...
>>
>>> We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand
>>> yesterday and got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all
>>> day, yesterday, in some salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and
>>> happily munching on them today. Boiled peanuts are so good! I
>>> thought it was just a Hawaii thing, but when I moved to Florida and
>>> saw boiled peanut stands all over the place, it was so wonderful.
>>>
>>> Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
>>>
>>> Just thought I'd share.
>>>
>>> kili

>> How do you do that? In the shell or out? Roast afterward or not? My
>> grandfater used to grow peanuts. My granmother would boil them in
>> salted water in the shell, then roast them until dry in the oven.
>> Delicious!

> In the shell, of course! Boiled in heavily salted water. I was
> surprised to find kili liked them (and no they aren't Hawaiian!). Was
> down in Waltersboro SC when I first discovered them... want to add some
> diced jalapeno peppers to the mix and you've got some hot peanuts! They
> sell them in cans up here... kind of strange but there you have it.
>
> Jill

Thanks, Jill.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Brought to you by the anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini typed:
> We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand
> yesterday and
> got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday,
> in some
> salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on them
> today.
> Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a Hawaii thing,
> but when
> I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over the place,
> it was
> so wonderful.
>
> Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
>
> Just thought I'd share.
>
> kili

Nope, it's a Southern thing (Hawaii is in the south, right?). Well,
at least North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and
Florida.

Next time, separate them into two pots of the water and let TFM® add
some cayenne pepper (to taste) to his batch. Other peppers or hot
sauces work as well, but be sure to keep yours separate from his. ;-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand yesterday and
> got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday, in some
> salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on them today.
> Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a Hawaii thing, but when
> I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over the place, it was
> so wonderful.
>
> Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
>
> Just thought I'd share.
>
> kili

My wife, from Hawaii, used to tell me about boiled peanuts so much, so
when we were in South Carolina we saw some and bought. Not bad, but
think the water they were cooked in was from the '30s. Very dirty and
gritty tasting so most went in the garbage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-20, kilikini > wrote:

> Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.

They pop up in the strangest places. Here in the SFBA, they can be
found at Vietnamese restaurants.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:21:23 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:26:39 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>
>> I thought it was just a Hawaii thing, but when
>> I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over the place,

it was
>> so wonderful.

>Very big in the southeast. I had one about 15 years ago. That
>was enough for me.
>
>-sw

I thought they came from Japan when I was a kid, but they are indeed
available locally. The peanuts which are really tasty, (guess we use
clean water and clean peanuts here in Hawaii), used to come in paper
bags. They were sold outside the roller derby arena. Best
part...You could eat the bag when you were done because it was tasty
too. hahaha

My husband makes boiled peanuts almost every week. You boil them up
with salt along the same lines of cooking soybeans. All legumes too
btw and they are good for you.
aloha,
Cea
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-08-20, kilikini > wrote:
> >
> > Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.

> They pop up in the strangest places. Here in the SFBA, they can be
> found at Vietnamese restaurants.
>
> nb

They are very common here in Alabama (as someone else mentioned) and I have
a friend from Brazil who says that they are also a big thing there.

Brazil is in the south!
helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:26:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand yesterday and
>got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday, in some
>salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on them today.
>Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a Hawaii thing, but when
>I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over the place, it was
>so wonderful.
>
>Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
>
>Just thought I'd share.
>
>kili

All day? How long per batch?

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:57:31 -0700, ensenadajim
> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:26:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:
>
>>We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand

yesterday and
>>got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday,

in some
>>salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on them

today.
>>Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a Hawaii thing,

but when
>>I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over the place,

it was
>>so wonderful.
>>
>>Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
>>
>>Just thought I'd share.
>>
>>kili
>>

>All day? How long per batch?
>

>jim

I don't now how long Kili does it, but here's what we do. You buy dry
fresh peanuts in about a pound bag from the store. Then Bob soaks
them in water in a pot on the counter for a couple of hours with a
rock to hold down the buoyant peanuts. Then put in pot, on stove,
fill with water- not a huge pot, kind of like cooking soybeans, add
some salt to the water and boil gently for 45 minutes or so. You can
test for doneness but opening up a peanut and seeing if it is as
cooked as you like. I like my peanuts near mushy.

I am sure Kili has a great way too.

You can store the uneaten peanuts in the icebox and they stay great
for a few days.

Yummy.

aloha,
cea
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
28.19:

> How do you do that? In the shell or out? Roast afterward or not? My
> grandfater used to grow peanuts. My granmother would boil them in
> salted water in the shell, then roast them until dry in the oven.
> Delicious!

Water in the pot, season the water, pour in the peanuts, in shell, boil for
however long it takes. Open shell eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 04:41:33p, Mike H meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> 28.19:
>
>> How do you do that? In the shell or out? Roast afterward or not? My
>> grandfater used to grow peanuts. My granmother would boil them in
>> salted water in the shell, then roast them until dry in the oven.
>> Delicious!
>>

> Water in the pot, season the water, pour in the peanuts, in shell, boil
> for however long it takes. Open shell eat.

Thanks, Mike.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Brought to you by the anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:

> You know, I really want to make some boiled peanuts but I can't find the
> green peanuts around here anywhere. I looked for them a couple of years
> ago after watching a FoodTV episode on festivals in Georgia. I had boiled
> peanuts once as a child and loved them. I know I can buy them online but
> there has GOT to be a supplier in Missouri somewhere.

Did you try Soulard Market, Michael? If anyplace down yer way would
have them, surely they would...

I know some guys that grew up in Sikeston, they spoke of having them
there. That area is truly the *real* South...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" >
> ps.com:
>

> > Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:
> >
> >> You know, I really want to make some boiled peanuts but I can't find
> >> the green peanuts around here anywhere. I looked for them a couple
> >> of years ago after watching a FoodTV episode on festivals in Georgia.
> >> I had boiled peanuts once as a child and loved them. I know I can
> >> buy them online but there has GOT to be a supplier in Missouri
> >> somewhere.

> > Did you try Soulard Market, Michael? If anyplace down yer way would
> > have them, surely they would...
> >
> > I know some guys that grew up in Sikeston, they spoke of having them
> > there. That area is truly the *real* South...
> >

> I'll try Soulard. I'm not going near Sikeston in this lifetime Too

many
> pickup truck with gun racks for my taste.

A *** guy I knew from there actually got run out of town. He was from a
prominent and wealthy family too...

You're really getting into Third World territory down there in the
Bootheel...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
.121...
> "kilikini" >
> :
>
> > We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand yesterday
> > and got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday,
> > in some salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on
> > them today. Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a
> > Hawaii thing, but when I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands
> > all over the place, it was so wonderful.
> >
> > Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
> >
> > Just thought I'd share.
> >
> > kili

> You know, I really want to make some boiled peanuts but I can't find the
> green peanuts around here anywhere. I looked for them a couple of years
> ago after watching a FoodTV episode on festivals in Georgia. I had boiled
> peanuts once as a child and loved them. I know I can buy them online but
> there has GOT to be a supplier in Missouri somewhere.
>
> Michael

If you need, I can buy some for you and send them to you. We can get them
anywhere. Just let me know.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 09:26:39a, kilikini meant to say...
> >
> >> We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand
> >> yesterday and got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all
> >> day, yesterday, in some salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and
> >> happily munching on them today. Boiled peanuts are so good! I
> >> thought it was just a Hawaii thing, but when I moved to Florida and
> >> saw boiled peanut stands all over the place, it was so wonderful.
> >>
> >> Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
> >>
> >> Just thought I'd share.
> >>
> >> kili

> > How do you do that? In the shell or out? Roast afterward or not? My
> > grandfater used to grow peanuts. My granmother would boil them in
> > salted water in the shell, then roast them until dry in the oven.
> > Delicious!

> In the shell, of course! Boiled in heavily salted water. I was surprised
> to find kili liked them (and no they aren't Hawaiian!). Was down in
> Waltersboro SC when I first discovered them... want to add some diced
> jalapeno peppers to the mix and you've got some hot peanuts! They sell

them
> in cans up here... kind of strange but there you have it.
>
> Jill

Yep, shell on in *heavily* salted water. My husband makes a cajun version,
too, but most of you know, I'm not much into spices! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> kilikini typed:
> > We went to our local fruit/veggie farmer's market type stand
> > yesterday and
> > got about 2 pounds of peanuts. We boiled them all day, yesterday,
> > in some
> > salt and garlic and I'm comfortably and happily munching on them
> > today.
> > Boiled peanuts are so good! I thought it was just a Hawaii thing,
> > but when
> > I moved to Florida and saw boiled peanut stands all over the place,
> > it was
> > so wonderful.
> >
> > Ah, a taste of home in a displaced place.
> >
> > Just thought I'd share.
> >
> > kili

> Nope, it's a Southern thing (Hawaii is in the south, right?). Well,
> at least North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and
> Florida.
>
> Next time, separate them into two pots of the water and let TFM® add
> some cayenne pepper (to taste) to his batch. Other peppers or hot
> sauces work as well, but be sure to keep yours separate from his. ;-)
>
> BOB

LOL, BOB. He *does* make a spicy version, but when we boil them to sit back
and watch movies, he does the mild version - just for me. :~) (Trust me,
he'd rather do the spice.)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:57:31 -0700, ensenadajim
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:26:39 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
> >

> >All day? How long per batch?
> >

> >jim
> >

> I don't now how long Kili does it, but here's what we do. You buy dry
> fresh peanuts in about a pound bag from the store. Then Bob soaks
> them in water in a pot on the counter for a couple of hours with a
> rock to hold down the buoyant peanuts. Then put in pot, on stove,
> fill with water- not a huge pot, kind of like cooking soybeans, add
> some salt to the water and boil gently for 45 minutes or so. You can
> test for doneness but opening up a peanut and seeing if it is as
> cooked as you like. I like my peanuts near mushy.
>
> I am sure Kili has a great way too.
>
> You can store the uneaten peanuts in the icebox and they stay great
> for a few days.
>
> Yummy.
>
> aloha,
> cea

Okay, we don't soak ours first. We put them in boiling, salted water and
then turn the temp down to simmer. We cook them for maybe 8 hours that way.
The peanuts are still a little firm, they've got a bit of give to them, but
they're done. Tastes just like Hawaiian-kine. :~) I love them!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:19:07 -0700, Lobster Man wrote:
>
> > T wrote:

> >> That's the one thing I miss about Florida, the boiled peanuts.
> >>
> >> Spent a few months of my life there and found out between the bugs, the
> >> floods, and the other crap that it wasn't the place for me.
> >>

> > I agree. Boiled peanuts are the ONLY good thing about Florida. I spent a
> > great deal of time there on business and always hated going...

> Uh-oh. Now you've done it...
>
> -sw

LOL, I'm staying out of this one, despite my loathing of Florida!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
.121...
> "kilikini" >
> :
>

> > If you need, I can buy some for you and send them to you. We can get
> > them anywhere. Just let me know.
> >
> > kili

> Ohhh... thanks. Let me know how much they are per pound and I'll send

some
> bucks to you to buy me some. Thanks a bunch.
>
> Michael
>
> --

Not a problem, they're cheap!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 21 Aug 2006 03:41:45a, kilikini meant to say...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > Oh pshaw, on Sun 20 Aug 2006 09:26:39a, kilikini meant to say...

>> > How do you do that? In the shell or out? Roast afterward or not?
>> > My grandfater used to grow peanuts. My granmother would boil them in
>> > salted water in the shell, then roast them until dry in the oven.
>> > Delicious!

>> In the shell, of course! Boiled in heavily salted water. I was
>> surprised to find kili liked them (and no they aren't Hawaiian!). Was
>> down in Waltersboro SC when I first discovered them... want to add some
>> diced jalapeno peppers to the mix and you've got some hot peanuts!
>> They sell them in cans up here... kind of strange but there you have
>> it.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yep, shell on in *heavily* salted water. My husband makes a cajun
> version, too, but most of you know, I'm not much into spices! :~)
>
> kili

Thanks, Kili!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Brought to you by the anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 02:02:27 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>"kilikini" >
m:

>You know, I really want to make some boiled peanuts but I can't find

the
>green peanuts around here anywhere. I looked for them a couple of

years
>ago after watching a FoodTV episode on festivals in Georgia. I had

boiled
>peanuts once as a child and loved them. I know I can buy them online

but
>there has GOT to be a supplier in Missouri somewhere.
>
>Michael

They are not "green" peanuts, they are called raw peanuts. We find
them in the fresh vegetable section of our local grocery store.

Hope that helps.

aloha,
Cea
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 02:02:27 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
>
> >"kilikini" >
> m:
> >

> >You know, I really want to make some boiled peanuts but I can't find

> the
> >green peanuts around here anywhere. I looked for them a couple of

> years
> >ago after watching a FoodTV episode on festivals in Georgia. I had

> boiled
> >peanuts once as a child and loved them. I know I can buy them online

> but
> >there has GOT to be a supplier in Missouri somewhere.
> >
> >Michael

> They are not "green" peanuts, they are called raw peanuts. We find
> them in the fresh vegetable section of our local grocery store.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> aloha,
> Cea

They call them "green" here in Florida, but, yeah, you're right, they're
just raw. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Aug 2006 23:14:45 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >

>: They are not "green" peanuts, they are called raw peanuts. We

find
>: them in the fresh vegetable section of our local grocery store.
>
> They are *not* simply raw peanuts. Most of the raw peanuts
> that we can buy have been thoroughly dried. I don't know if

this is
> because of age or processing, but I suspect that they've been

helped
> to dry.
>
> But in most Oriental shops I can find raw peanuts that are

still
> somewhat wet. My Alabama born neighbor uses these, not the

dry raw
> peanuts, for boiled peanuts.
>
> This is an academic issue for me, since I grew up in New York
> where the street vendors had the most wonderful roasted

peanuts, and
> I've never caught on to the allure of boiled ones.
>
> --thelma

I don't know if we are into semantics but my main grocery store
certainly has much oriental stuff and is owned by the Taniguchis.

Our peanuts are indeed very dry and very clean. Maybe just a
different grade? (Coffee has different grades so I suspect most
produce does as well.)

The end product however is always yummy.

aloha,
Cea
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > They call them "green" here in Florida, but, yeah, you're right, they're
> > just raw. :~)
> >
> > kili

> I'll be damned. And here I've been looking for green peanuts all this
> time. I'll check with the produce depts at stores I shop at and see if
> they have raw peanuts. Thanks for the info, both of you.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> The next new show on FoodTV?
>
> http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/bonappetite.html

Check out one of the Oriental or Hispanic groceries. I've seen them in
both.

helen.

PS....there is also a place here in Alabama that ships. No web site that I
could (quickly) find but the name is the Peanut Depot in Birmingham.
They're cheap when you pick 'em up. I don't know how much it costs to ship.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> >=============

Michael, when I lived in Belleville, I was able to buy the green peanuts at
Schnuck's. Try there. They should still carry them.

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey Michael,
I just looked in my local Publix and found them there also. I don't know if
you have Publix there but if you do.........

helen

Boiled Peanuts Tara General Cooking 34 09-10-2014 01:02 PM
Boiled Peanuts jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 55 24-07-2013 01:15 AM
Boiled Green Peanuts jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 32 12-08-2011 06:23 PM
Hot smoked boiled peanuts Gene Barbecue 2 28-09-2009 02:14 AM
Boiled Peanuts International Recipes OnLine[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-10-2007 05:17 AM