Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have you hear of

Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I've heard of it and seen it, but haven't bought it. I'll be curious as to
how you like it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf wrote:

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

Whatever you do, don't tell us what it is.

(Kinda ironic coming from the person who can't look up anything
herself)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Yes, I've heard of it. Been around for a while. Never tried it and never
would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

I think it is just base. They are competing with Better than Bouillon.
Base is just heavily reduced stock.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.
>>

> I think it is just base. They are competing with Better than Bouillon.
> Base is just heavily reduced stock.
>
> Paul

There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
that that is bad. I use it.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:56:09 -0500, Fava Ben > wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> > which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> > Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

> Whatever you do, don't tell us what it is.
>
> (Kinda ironic coming from the person who can't look up anything
> herself)
>
> -sw

You love me. You're addicted to me. Admit it! I know it and
everyone else does too - because you respond to me even though you
claim to have me in your kill file. You are so eager to respond that
you can't wait and pretend that I'm in your kill file. Or, maybe
you're too poor to afford anything so expensive as a kill file... but
you can't admit that you just can't admit it. Poor little you. <sob>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 22:04:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Never tried it and never would.

Why am I not surprised?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
> that that is bad. I use it.

I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
it's not pure salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon.
>> Not
>> that that is bad. I use it.

> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.

I do use that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon.
>> Not
>> that that is bad. I use it.

> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.

I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
then I can't buy from a wholesaler.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

I treat it like 'Sazon' -- that stuff that "makes things taste
better"-- Flavor is salty, but there is some umami in there. Because
it is liquid it mixes well at the last minute. Because it is in
individual packets the last packet should taste just like the first
one.[and it is ridiculously expensive.]

Ingredients- tomato puree, salt, vegetables, sugar-- other stuff.

It is interesting that they say to use 2 packets on a pound of
vegetables-- then list the serving size as 1 packet.
In that one packet you get 2g sugar, 4g carbs, and 770mg sodium.

It works to save a broth or dish that didn't quite 'get there'-- My
box is lasting a very-very-long time.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.shopwell.com/swanson-flav...rmEFZ mzGzRCQ

Ingredients:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Salt, Vegetables, (Carrots,
Onions, Celery), Sugar, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Potato Flour,
Contains Less Than 2% Of: Celeriac Juice Concentrate, Flavoring,
Carrot Juice Concentrate, Dehydrated Carrots, Lemon Juice Concentrate,
Xanthan Gum.

Looks like a tomato based salty mirapoix with added sugar, etc.

I'm sure it's very good and that RFC purists will poo poo it!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon.
> >> Not
> >> that that is bad. I use it.

> > I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> > Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> > it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> > it's not pure salt.

> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.

Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2012 11:26 PM, sf wrote:

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

Please let us know what you thin of it. I've seen it, too, but never
tried it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
>> > Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
>> > it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
>> > it's not pure salt.

>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
>> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>

> Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
> the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
> If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.

It's not easy to find. One store near me carries the whole line. Makes a
damn fine clam sauce lemme tell ya.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 2:43*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
> > There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
> > that that is bad. I use it.

> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". *It's poorly flavored salt. *You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I can certainly tell the difference between the beef one and the
chicken one. I use it - sparingly, along with broth - for sauces and
gravies, if I need some extra added "oomph." Better than Bouillon
Beef is great to mix with Johnny's French Dip base and beef broth, for
French Dip sandwiches, if you don't have enough juice from the meat.
You just use it as a small addition, not as the sole flavoring device.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Jun 6, 2:43 am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
> > There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon.
> > Not
> > that that is bad. I use it.

> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I can certainly tell the difference between the beef one and the
chicken one. I use it - sparingly, along with broth - for sauces and
gravies, if I need some extra added "oomph." Better than Bouillon
Beef is great to mix with Johnny's French Dip base and beef broth, for
French Dip sandwiches, if you don't have enough juice from the meat.
You just use it as a small addition, not as the sole flavoring device.

That is what my demiglace is for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

No. What's in it? Feel free to ignore that q if you have
answered it. And actually, I can probably find the answer online.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon.
>>> Not
>>> that that is bad. I use it.

>> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
>> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
>> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
>> it's not pure salt.

> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>
> Paul

Speaking o' which... I wonder which of the Minor's bases are
good. I have access to them....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

> http://www.shopwell.com/swanson-flav...rmEFZ mzGzRCQ
>
> Ingredients:
> Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Salt, Vegetables, (Carrots,
> Onions, Celery), Sugar, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Potato Flour,
> Contains Less Than 2% Of: Celeriac Juice Concentrate, Flavoring,
> Carrot Juice Concentrate, Dehydrated Carrots, Lemon Juice Concentrate,
> Xanthan Gum.
>
> Looks like a tomato based salty mirapoix with added sugar, etc.
>
> I'm sure it's very good and that RFC purists will poo poo it!
>
> John Kuthe...

Di I recall that yeast extract can be/contain msg?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
>>> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
>>> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
>>> it's not pure salt.

>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
>> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>

> Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
> the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
> If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.

I bought some clam. In days of yore, clam was a "hot soda
flavor". Thus far, the formulae I have tried have been very
lacking in flavor.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
>>> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>>

>> Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
>> the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
>> If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.

> It's not easy to find. One store near me carries the whole line. Makes a
> damn fine clam sauce lemme tell ya.
>
> Paul

Oh? I have some in the fridge. I'd better ponder that or some
other use.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:54:23 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> > which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> > Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.
> >

> No. What's in it? Feel free to ignore that q if you have
> answered it. And actually, I can probably find the answer online.

I suppose I could get up and look but I'm too lazy. My reasoning for
buying it was #1 - it was on clearance and #2 - I figured it couldn't
taste any worse than BtB.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
> that that is bad. I use it.

I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
it's not pure salt.

The chicken Better than B... has genuine chicken flavor. I use it to make
homemade chicken more "chickeny". What beef bouillon do you use?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:43:07 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
> > There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
> > that that is bad. I use it.

> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

SF I completely agree with you. I will never buy it again!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2012 11:12 AM, Nanzi wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:43:07 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
>>> that that is bad. I use it.

>> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
>> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
>> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
>> it's not pure salt.
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> SF I completely agree with you. I will never buy it again!!

It's on the lines of "I can't believe it's not butter"; I have no
trouble at all disbelieving that!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 02:51:38 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> The chicken Better than B... has genuine chicken flavor. I use it to make
> homemade chicken more "chickeny". What beef bouillon do you use?

Not a bullion fan. I bought both flavors of BtB. I've used about
half the chicken and not as much beef, but that's over a period of two
years... maybe more and I don't use either unless I'm completely out
of stock (purchased or home made). They've languished in my
refrigerator so long that it's time to toss them and make room for
something else. I will never understand why people go on and on about
how good they are with they're as crappy tasting as any other bullion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 08:12:33 -0700 (PDT), Nanzi >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:43:07 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
>> > that that is bad. I use it.

>> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
>> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
>> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
>> it's not pure salt.
>>
>> --
>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>SF I completely agree with you. I will never buy it again!!

That's just silly, ketchup is flavored salt too... so are many sauces
I bet you have in your larder... are you saying you never buy salad
dressings, prepared mustard, bbq sauce, soy sauce? Even homemade
stocks require substantial salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

< Better than Bullion>

> The clam is also perfect for clam chowder - much more flavor
> than clam juice.
>
> -sw

Wow. I'm surprised to hear you say that, Steve.
I can't imagine a better clam chowder than made
all natural using live clams.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:55:25 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > I will never understand why people go on and on about
> > how good they are with they're as crappy tasting as any other bullion.

> Obviously you're in the minority.
>
> Even when making my home made chicken stock, some chicken base goes in
> there at the very end to brighten it up.

I'm with you. I always end up throwing in some chicken boullion to my
chicken vegetable soup starting from homemade stock. I'm assuming that
enhanced taste comes from the salt and the msg added?

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2012 5:54 PM, Janet wrote:

> If you made a more concentrated chicken stock you wouldn't need to add
> bouillon. I've always made individual chicken carcases into stock, but
> one of the best tips I've had on rfc, was to save up several (bagged in
> the freezer)then use them together for stock-making. Saves fuel but also
> makes much richer stock.

I do that, too. I don't feel the need to add packaged stuff to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>

> < Better than Bullion>
>
>> The clam is also perfect for clam chowder - much more flavor
>> than clam juice.
>>
>> -sw

> Wow. I'm surprised to hear you say that, Steve.
> I can't imagine a better clam chowder than made
> all natural using live clams.

Base is natural clam flavor. Chef's have used it for generations. It used
to be their little secret. All it is is highly concentrated stock. What is
wrong with that?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:54:23 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>>> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>>> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.
>>>

>> No. What's in it? Feel free to ignore that q if you have
>> answered it. And actually, I can probably find the answer online.

> I suppose I could get up and look but I'm too lazy. My reasoning for
> buying it was #1 - it was on clearance and #2 - I figured it couldn't
> taste any worse than BtB.

LoL! Good enuf.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:55:40 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
>>> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Speaking o' which... I wonder which of the Minor's bases are
>> good. I have access to them....

> Minors Chicken Base is a must in the kitchen. The lobster is another
> favorite, but it's like $18/pint. And they're the only beef base
> flavor that works for me.
>
> Knorr has a new line of concentrated liquid bases for foodservice that
> works very well, too.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the info. He who works in a restaurant can get some
for me.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 17:34:58 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Obviously you're in the minority.
>>>
>>> Even when making my home made chicken stock, some chicken base goes in
>>> there at the very end to brighten it up.

>> I'm with you. I always end up throwing in some chicken boullion to my
>> chicken vegetable soup starting from homemade stock. I'm assuming that
>> enhanced taste comes from the salt and the msg added?

> I would never use boullion. The main ingredient in the bases I buy is
> meat/poultry/fish.
>
> Here's the ingredients of a popular brand of cubes:
>
> Salt, Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Salt), Sugar, Contains 2% or
> less of Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Natural Flavor (Autolyzed
> Yeast Extract, Salt, Sugar, Whey Powder [from Milk], Lactic Acid),
> Chicken Fat, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate, Dehydrated
> Cooked Chicken (Contains Natural Flavor), Dehydrated Parsley,
> Turmeric, Onion Powder, Spice, Garlic Powder. No MSG Added (Contains
> Naturally Occurring Glutamates).
>
> Anybody comparing boullion to bases upthread are pretty ignorant, IMO.
>
> -sw

Bleah!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality
>>> but then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>>

>> Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
>> the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
>> If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.
>>

> I bought some clam. In days of yore, clam was a "hot soda flavor". Thus
> far, the formulae I have tried have been very lacking in flavor.

So people went into soda shops and said "jerk me a clam?"

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:55:25 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> I will never understand why people go on and on about
>> how good they are with they're as crappy tasting as any other bullion.

> Obviously you're in the minority.
>
> Even when making my home made chicken stock, some chicken base goes in
> there at the very end to brighten it up. Usually Minor's, Tone's or
> Empire brand (sold at Restaurant Depot). The Empire brand is even
> better than Minor's IMO. And cheaper at $3.84/pint. And their lobster
> base is #11.39/lb.

I've nevere tried the regular BTB. Only the organic. It's good! But I
hate that it has to be refrigerated. Now I use Savory Choice Liquid.