Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Let's hear it for Buffy...

This was originally posted on August 11, 1998 and was entitled "Pat
O'Brien's Hurricane". And to show that nothing has ever really
changed in RFC, I have also enclosed the first response to her
post... I'm sure there are better one's out there, but this is one I
remember...

...Fred

-------------

We decided to take a walk down Bourbon Street, which was a few blocks
south
of where we were staying. Down off of Bourbon Street we went to Pat
O'Brian's
Bar, home of the world famous Hurricane, which they serve to you in a
glass
you get to keep. Sheryl Ann liked the glass and said, "How nice if I
could
collect a set of six," and she took to drinking and ordering Hurricane
after
Hurricane so she could keep the glasses. Later we learned she could
have
bought the glasses empty, but Sheryl Ann said, "It was more fun this
way".
From there it was down to Al Hirt's Jazz Club, although Sheryl Ann was
having
trouble walking by then, where we listened to a New Orleans style
music
performance. Wouldn't you know that Sheryl Ann would take to the
stage and
jump up on top of the piano and start singing, "I'm The Last of The
Red Hot
Mamas" and "Makin' Whoopie" and then do the bump and grind with the
saxophone
player. Even though Sheryl Ann is not a born singer, everybody clapped
and
whistled and yelled, "Encore! Encore!" but by then Sheryl Ann was in
no shape
to sing. We called a cab, and the cab driver had to carry Sheryl Ann
out to
the car over his shoulder, while she kept on singing, "I Enjoy Being A
Girl".
When I told the driver where we were going he asked us if we were
"some of Lu
Lu's working girls". I said, no, we were here on vacation, and he
said,
"Damn! I like 'em old and spunky!" When we got in Sheryl Ann was
still
snoozing so the driver carried her in and Lu Lu said, "Hi, Bill, I
haven't
seen you for awhile. How are the wife and kids?" He said, "Fine, Lu
Lu. The
wife's going out of town next week. I'll have to stop by." Some of Lu
Lu's
girls and I stayed up watching a movie on television, although several
of
them kept excusing themself to go and help gentlemen, who kept
arriving all
through the night, with their grammer and punctuation.

Pat O'Brian's Hurricane

1 oz. Light rum
1 oz. Dark rum
1 tbsp. Passion Fruit Styrup
2 Tsp. Lime Juice

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and
serve.

--------------

And now the response...

This little excursion may be interesting on the travel newsgroup, but
it
really is boring in a humor group. Maybe you should think about that

Look, if you want to post travel and recipes, post on the appropriate
newsgroup. I want to read FUNNY stuff here. Your little excursions
are
B-O-R-I-N-G.Buffy, I bet you are blonde.
--
<Name Deleted To Protect The Guilty>
Expert in all things Southern

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:
> This was originally posted on August 11, 1998 and was entitled "Pat
> O'Brien's Hurricane". And to show that nothing has ever really
> changed in RFC, I have also enclosed the first response to her
> post... I'm sure there are better one's out there, but this is one I
> remember...

Wow, that is going back a ways. I kinda enjoyed the running story line.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 6:20�pm, kuvasz guy > wrote:
> [...]
> arriving all
> through the night, with their grammer and punctuation.
>
> Pat O'Brian's Hurricane
>
> 1 oz. Light rum
> 1 oz. Dark rum
> 1 tbsp. Passion Fruit Styrup
> 2 Tsp. Lime Juice
>
> Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and
> serve.
>
> --------------
>
> And now the response...
>
> This little excursion may be interesting on the travel newsgroup, but
> it
> really is boring in a humor group. Maybe you should think about that
>
> Look, if you want to post travel and recipes, post on the appropriate
> newsgroup. I want to read FUNNY stuff here. Your little excursions
> are
> B-O-R-I-N-G.Buffy, I bet you are blonde.

Thank you! Enjoyed that yet again..

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> This was originally posted on August 11, 1998 and was entitled "Pat
> O'Brien's Hurricane". And to show that nothing has ever really
> changed in RFC, I have also enclosed the first response to her
> post... I'm sure there are better one's out there, but this is one I
> remember...

Oh, that's so funny! Their adventures traveling around the
country, hilarious. This stop was priceless:

Sheryl Ann and I decided to take a side trip to Fire Island, NY. We heard
that lots of famous people like to vacation here, a lot of who are dead.
They say Liberace liked it here, so did Rock Hudson, so does Elton John the
singer, Calvin Klein the fashion designer, even Tom Cruise the actor. We
didn't see any famous people, and we didn't see a lot of women, who were
probably home with the kids. The tourists here looked very healthy and well
fed, but maybe had not a lot of money. Most of the men couldn't afford
Bermuda trunks like they wear back home and had to go to the beach just
wearing their skivvies. Some of the poor fellows even had to hide in the
bushes behind the beach stark naked. They were probably used to living in
cramped quarters too, because I saw a lot of the men in the bushes were
lying
right on top of each other. We stopped in a nice bar and restaurant for
lunch
called The Flamer. The boys who worked there were so nice. We had this
delicious meal of oysters which our waiter, a sweet boy named Bruce who said
he was a model in New York during the winter months recommended. He said it
improves virility and said the man at the next booth who was named Steve and
looked very virile ate it all the time.

Oysters Fire Island

2 large bunches fresh spinach, cleaned and shredded
18 to 24 large oysters, shucked, liquid reserved
1/4 stick butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 closves garlic, crushed
1/4 cut white wine
1/2 cup freshy grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons arrowroot, approximately
1/2 cup light cream or half and half
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
3 tablespoons Pernod or 2 tablespoons anisette
4 thin slices French bread, toasted

Place the shredded spinach in a casserole dish. Combine the butter, salt,
pepper, nutmeg, garlic, and wine in a suacepan, heat until well mixed, and
pour over the spinach. Add the oysters and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 35 minutes in a covered pot in a 450 degree oven, then pour off the
sauce into a suacepan.Return the casserole dish to the oven, and cook
uncovered for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to brown. Meanwhile bring the
liquid in the saucepan to a boil add the butter and arrowroot mixed with
light cream, the reserve oyster liquid, anchovy paste, and Pernod. Stir
until thick. Place the spinach and oysters on the toasted French bread anc
cover with the sauce. This is excellent when served with green salad and
small buttered, parsleyed new potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:20:07 -0800 (PST), kuvasz guy
> wrote:

>This was originally posted on August 11, 1998 and was entitled "Pat
>O'Brien's Hurricane". And to show that nothing has ever really
>changed in RFC, I have also enclosed the first response to her
>post... I'm sure there are better one's out there, but this is one I
>remember...
>
>..Fred

who were you back then, Fred?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 11:42*pm, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:20:07 -0800 (PST), kuvasz guy
>
> > wrote:
> >This was originally posted on August 11, 1998 and was entitled "Pat
> >O'Brien's Hurricane". *And to show that nothing has ever really
> >changed in RFC, I have also enclosed the first response to her
> >post... *I'm sure there are better one's out there, but this is one I
> >remember...

> >..Fred

> who were you back then, Fred?
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

I didn't post back in the day because the news server was part of the
work domain and was made available as a courtesy to employees.

..fred
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:53:08 -0800 (PST), kuvasz guy
> wrote:

>On Feb 24, 11:42*pm, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:20:07 -0800 (PST), kuvasz guy
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >This was originally posted on August 11, 1998 and was entitled "Pat
>> >O'Brien's Hurricane". *And to show that nothing has ever really
>> >changed in RFC, I have also enclosed the first response to her
>> >post... *I'm sure there are better one's out there, but this is one I
>> >remember...

>> >..Fred

>> who were you back then, Fred?
>>

>I didn't post back in the day because the news server was part of the
>work domain and was made available as a courtesy to employees.

Wow!!! A company that provided newsgroups as a courtesy? Will
wonders ever cease???

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
kuvasz guy > wrote:

> This was originally posted on August 11, 1998 and was entitled "Pat
> O'Brien's Hurricane". And to show that nothing has ever really
> changed in RFC, I have also enclosed the first response to her
> post... I'm sure there are better one's out there, but this is one I
> remember...
>
> ..Fred

(snip)

> Pat O'Brian's Hurricane
>
> 1 oz. Light rum
> 1 oz. Dark rum
> 1 tbsp. Passion Fruit Styrup
> 2 Tsp. Lime Juice
>

> Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and
> serve.
>
> --------------
>
> And now the response...

> This little excursion may be interesting on the travel newsgroup, but
> it really is boring in a humor group. Maybe you should think about
> that
>
> Look, if you want to post travel and recipes, post on the appropriate
> newsgroup. I want to read FUNNY stuff here. Your little excursions
> are B-O-R-I-N-G.Buffy, I bet you are blonde.

> --

But Wendy had a point, Fred * the recipe didn't belong in the other two
groups to which it was posted, alt. humor and rec.humor. I don't think
it's especially funny, either -- but, by Alex, there's a recipe!! :-P
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:38:18 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>sf dropped this : in
>rec.food.cooking
>
>> Wow!!! A company that provided newsgroups as a courtesy? Will
>> wonders ever cease???

>Is this sarcasm, or are you really finding it a wonder? Back in the very
>early days of Usenet, companies and businesses, mostly university and
>academic entitys did provide Usenet as a service. Someone had to maintain a
>server devoted to Usenet. That was back when Usenet was chock full of not
>much but enlightenment and educational posts. Sort of "the good old days"
>deal. Ya' just didn't find the type of posting you do nowadays. It all
>really went down the shit hole when AOL first started providing Usenet
>access to it's "members" IMO.

I was saying it in "wonder". Anyone who has time to diddle on
newsgroups during work hours needs a different job. I'd be bored
stiff if that was my situation.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> sf dropped this : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> I was saying it in "wonder". Anyone who has time to diddle on
>> newsgroups during work hours needs a different job. I'd be bored
>> stiff if that was my situation.

> Hmmm... Some people maintain news servers for a living. Many of them
> diddle on newsgroups during working hours. By working hours I assume you
> mean 9-5?
>
> Michael <- seldom worked 9-5 hours when working
> --

Obviously she's not talking about the people who maintain the servers. That
*is their job But I see her point. The infrastructure people at work
eventually didn't allow anyone without Admin rights to install anything on
their PC's. Folks were installing ICQ and AIM and spending half the day
chatting rather than working. They never did turn on the newsgroups feature
on the Exchange servers. But this was in the days before Google offered ng
access...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:13:44 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>sf dropped this : in
>rec.food.cooking
>
>> I was saying it in "wonder". Anyone who has time to diddle on
>> newsgroups during work hours needs a different job. I'd be bored
>> stiff if that was my situation.

>Hmmm... Some people maintain news servers for a living. Many of them
>diddle on newsgroups during working hours.

It's either a BORING job or your hours should be cut if you have that
much time to do something not in your job description.

>By working hours I assume you mean 9-5?

I'm talking about any job... 24/7. If the people who maintain servers
have that much time on their hands, I'd be bored stiff if I had to do
it.

>Michael <- seldom worked 9-5 hours when working

Get your nose out of the stratosphere. Working outside the 9-5
routine didn't make you a martyr. Having that much time to devote to
something not part of the job description would motivate me to find a
more stimulating job ASAP - but you chose an alternate route.