General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-03-2012, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default What's Best For The Best Burger?

I keep seeing articles where people say to use meats with low(er) fat,
15 to 20 per cent, and others who say that hamburgers with higher fat
content makes better burgers. Personally, I love a lot of fat on my
ribeye steaks, but in a hamburger it's too hard to tell if it has high
fat or not. So, can anyone say if fatty burgers are all that bad?

Ron


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-03-2012, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,046
Default What's Best For The Best Burger?

On Mar 31, 2:14*pm, Ron wrote:
I keep seeing articles where people say to use meats with low(er) fat,
15 to 20 per cent, and others who say that hamburgers with higher fat
content makes better burgers. Personally, I love a lot of fat on my
ribeye steaks, but in a hamburger it's too hard to tell if it has high
fat or not. So, can anyone say if fatty burgers are all that bad?

Ron


I like about 20% fat. If I get hamburger with less, I'll add a little
sausage. I think a bison burger is a little flavorless so make them
with 50/50 beef and bison.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default What's Best For The Best Burger?

On Mar 31, 4:50*pm, Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Mar 31, 2:14*pm, Ron wrote:

I keep seeing articles where people say to use meats with low(er) fat,
15 to 20 per cent, and others who say that hamburgers with higher fat
content makes better burgers. Personally, I love a lot of fat on my
ribeye steaks, but in a hamburger it's too hard to tell if it has high
fat or not. So, can anyone say if fatty burgers are all that bad?


Ron


I like about 20% fat. If I get hamburger with less, I'll add a little
sausage. I think a bison burger is a little flavorless so make them
with 50/50 beef and bison.


I like them a lot leaner and I like them medium rare. The more fat in
a meat, the more cooking I feel it needs. I think the reason that
bison "is a little flavorless" is that it is almost always grass fed.
Grass fed beef also has a more delicate flavor that corn fed does. I
never buy bison because it's pricey and not appreciably different from
grass fed beef, which although admittedly more healthful, is pricier,
and IMO, less flavorful. When I was a kid, the gold standard was
grass fed until 3 weeks before slaughter, then corn *finishing*.
Cattle should not eat corn, except in the last month of their lives.
They should not be given antibiotics unless they're sick.

It's funny, but something about the seasonings used in corned beef
really appeals to my cat. I can leave almost any food on the table,
and she has no interest. Even salmon or tilapia would be ignored. If
it's not cat food, she's not interested, except for corned beef. An
old GF of mine had a cat that went freakin' ape shit over green
olives. The cat would jump two feet in the air--or try to--to get an
olive. Interestingly, the last time my cat acted interested in what I
was eating was cheap deli corned beef. Today's was one I boiled
myself. It has to be one spice peculiar to corned beef. Anyone have
an idea which seasoning that might be?

--Bryan
  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,166
Default What's Best For The Best Burger?

On Mar 31, 11:50*pm, Bryan wrote:

It's funny, but something about the seasonings used in corned beef
really appeals to my cat. *I can leave almost any food on the table,
and she has no interest. *Even salmon or tilapia would be ignored. *If
it's not cat food, she's not interested, except for corned beef. *An
old GF of mine had a cat that went freakin' ape shit over green
olives. *The cat would jump two feet in the air--or try to--to get an
olive. *Interestingly, the last time my cat acted interested in what I
was eating was cheap deli corned beef. *Today's was one I boiled
myself. *It has to be one spice peculiar to corned beef. *Anyone have
an idea which seasoning that might be?



I'm jumping in here with a theory on the basis of the comments
of your girlriend which are very much like comments of a friend of
mine who has a cat that also will eat nothing but cat food but loves
potato chips and will eat them right out of his hand, and I've seen
it. My theory is that the salt attracts them. But my theory is
quickly taking a seat as now suddenly I remember a cat I used to live
with who loved popcorn. The amount of salt I used was not massive,
which causes me to question my own theory (something any good theorist
does every time) - but there was some salt in the popcorn - so maybe
that's the answer - and even if it isn't, it was a nice theory while
it lasted. There will be more theories on more things in the future
from me.

That is my prediction,
TJ



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Bacon Burger Created By SoCal Burger Chain Slater's 50/50 Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 3 09-07-2012 12:33 AM
First Burger Join in Beirut - Lebanon (Classic Burger Joint)www.cbj.me lboodl Restaurants 0 05-04-2010 12:33 PM
Is a Burger with out a bun a Burger? JuanGuady Recipes 3 29-08-2009 04:33 AM
World's most expensive ($200) Burger King burger Corey Richardson General Cooking 7 31-07-2008 12:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017