Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's Best For The Best Burger?

I keep seeing articles where people say to use meats with low(er) fat,
15 to 20 per cent, and others who say that hamburgers with higher fat
content makes better burgers. Personally, I love a lot of fat on my
ribeye steaks, but in a hamburger it's too hard to tell if it has high
fat or not. So, can anyone say if fatty burgers are all that bad?

Ron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 31, 2:14*pm, Ron > wrote:
> I keep seeing articles where people say to use meats with low(er) fat,
> 15 to 20 per cent, and others who say that hamburgers with higher fat
> content makes better burgers. Personally, I love a lot of fat on my
> ribeye steaks, but in a hamburger it's too hard to tell if it has high
> fat or not. So, can anyone say if fatty burgers are all that bad?
>
> Ron

I like about 20% fat. If I get hamburger with less, I'll add a little
sausage. I think a bison burger is a little flavorless so make them
with 50/50 beef and bison.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 31, 4:50*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2:14*pm, Ron > wrote:
>
> > I keep seeing articles where people say to use meats with low(er) fat,
> > 15 to 20 per cent, and others who say that hamburgers with higher fat
> > content makes better burgers. Personally, I love a lot of fat on my
> > ribeye steaks, but in a hamburger it's too hard to tell if it has high
> > fat or not. So, can anyone say if fatty burgers are all that bad?

> > Ron

> I like about 20% fat. If I get hamburger with less, I'll add a little
> sausage. I think a bison burger is a little flavorless so make them
> with 50/50 beef and bison.

I like them a lot leaner and I like them medium rare. The more fat in
a meat, the more cooking I feel it needs. I think the reason that
bison "is a little flavorless" is that it is almost always grass fed.
Grass fed beef also has a more delicate flavor that corn fed does. I
never buy bison because it's pricey and not appreciably different from
grass fed beef, which although admittedly more healthful, is pricier,
and IMO, less flavorful. When I was a kid, the gold standard was
grass fed until 3 weeks before slaughter, then corn *finishing*.
Cattle should not eat corn, except in the last month of their lives.
They should not be given antibiotics unless they're sick.

It's funny, but something about the seasonings used in corned beef
really appeals to my cat. I can leave almost any food on the table,
and she has no interest. Even salmon or tilapia would be ignored. If
it's not cat food, she's not interested, except for corned beef. An
old GF of mine had a cat that went freakin' ape shit over green
olives. The cat would jump two feet in the air--or try to--to get an
olive. Interestingly, the last time my cat acted interested in what I
was eating was cheap deli corned beef. Today's was one I boiled
myself. It has to be one spice peculiar to corned beef. Anyone have
an idea which seasoning that might be?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 31, 11:50*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> It's funny, but something about the seasonings used in corned beef
> really appeals to my cat. *I can leave almost any food on the table,
> and she has no interest. *Even salmon or tilapia would be ignored. *If
> it's not cat food, she's not interested, except for corned beef. *An
> old GF of mine had a cat that went freakin' ape shit over green
> olives. *The cat would jump two feet in the air--or try to--to get an
> olive. *Interestingly, the last time my cat acted interested in what I
> was eating was cheap deli corned beef. *Today's was one I boiled
> myself. *It has to be one spice peculiar to corned beef. *Anyone have
> an idea which seasoning that might be?

I'm jumping in here with a theory on the basis of the comments
of your girlriend which are very much like comments of a friend of
mine who has a cat that also will eat nothing but cat food but loves
potato chips and will eat them right out of his hand, and I've seen
it. My theory is that the salt attracts them. But my theory is
quickly taking a seat as now suddenly I remember a cat I used to live
with who loved popcorn. The amount of salt I used was not massive,
which causes me to question my own theory (something any good theorist
does every time) - but there was some salt in the popcorn - so maybe
that's the answer - and even if it isn't, it was a nice theory while
it lasted. There will be more theories on more things in the future
from me.

That is my prediction,
TJ