Old 20-03-2012, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Curry?

I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
product?

I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
meal unfinished if I didn't like it.

Thoughts?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Old 20-03-2012, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 9:26*am, KenK wrote:
I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
product?

Simplest recipe: Next time you make stew, saute some curry powder
(spice aisle at your supermarket) when you brown the meat and onions.
Add chiles to taste in whatever form you prefer (green, red, fresh,
dried, even the crushed dried in the packet that comes with your
takeout pizza). Garlic can be substituted with asafoetida.

I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
meal unfinished if I didn't like it.

What a gift, to be so unaware of one's surroundings.
Old 20-03-2012, 08:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, KenK wrote:
simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
product?

For Indian Curries, Pataks:

http://www.pataks.co.uk/

For Thai curries, Mae Ploy:

http://importfood.com/cpmp1404.html

Both of these are pretty good for commercial products and can often be
found in a well stocked or gourmet supermarkt in the Asian section.
I've pounded out an authentic Thai green curry in a Laotion clay
mortar/pestle. The above curries are not as good, but are a whole
helluva lot less work.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Old 20-03-2012, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 12:26*pm, KenK wrote:
I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
product?

I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
meal unfinished if I didn't like it.

Thoughts?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Old 20-03-2012, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2012 12:26 PM, KenK wrote:
I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
product?

I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
meal unfinished if I didn't like it.

Thoughts?

It wouldn't cost much more to tr a curry dish in a Indian restaurant
than it would to by the meat, curry (powder or paste) and make
something at home. You have the added benefit of (hopefully) having a
professionally made dish that should be better than you are likely to
make for yourself.

Curry, BTW, is a generic term for a combination of herbs and spices.
There are different curries form different regions and for different
meats and vegetables. They are not all hot.

Old 20-03-2012, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article b8f2aa87-9118-430c-8379-10396a7923f4
@tx8g2000pbc.googlegroups.com, says...
I would suggest checking out some of
the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

http://www.richardfisher.com

or online, here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...adhur-Jaffrey-
picks-her-favourite-recipes.html

Janet

Old 20-03-2012, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Mar 2012 16:26:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
product?

I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
meal unfinished if I didn't like it.

Thoughts?

If you go to an Indian restaurant, tell them you are unfamiliar with
their cuisine and would like suggestions. Or you could look for
Indian food bloggers, make regular sized recipes and freeze them in
single portions to eat later.
http://www.spiceindiaonline.com/free...indian-dishes/
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2007/05/22/naan-bread/

Old 20-03-2012, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane wrote:

Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

Your statement about the plant, of which there is an edible and
inedble plant, is as misleading and vague as the facts about the food
"curry". I jes made a Moroccan tagine and the term "curry" is nowhere
to be found, but I'll gar-own-damn-tee you it's a curry jes the same.
Let's stick to the OPs question about a curry --the food/sauce/etc--
and leave the much mailigned and almost impossible to prove
history/etymology of the term out of it.

nb

Old 20-03-2012, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane wrote:

Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

Your statement about the plant, of which there is an edible and
inedble plant, is as misleading and vague as the facts about the food
"curry". I jes made a Moroccan tagine and the term "curry" is nowhere
to be found, but I'll gar-own-damn-tee you it's a curry jes the same.
Let's stick to the OPs question about a curry --the food/sauce/etc--
and leave the much mailigned and almost impossible to prove
history/etymology of the term out of it.

nb

Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
you attributed to me in the above quote, the
person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it. I wrote
two responsed later, recommending the Madhur
Jaffrey books and giving the Amazon pages for them.

pavane

Old 20-03-2012, 09:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2012 5:16 PM, pavane wrote:
the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

Your statement about the plant, of which there is an edible and
inedble plant, is as misleading and vague as the facts about the food
"curry". I jes made a Moroccan tagine and the term "curry" is nowhere
to be found, but I'll gar-own-damn-tee you it's a curry jes the same.
Let's stick to the OPs question about a curry --the food/sauce/etc--
and leave the much mailigned and almost impossible to prove
history/etymology of the term out of it.

nb

Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
you attributed to me in the above quote, the
person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it. I wrote
two responsed later, recommending the Madhur
Jaffrey books and giving the Amazon pages for them.

In fairness to nb, and your response to the unhelpful person, the
formatting makes it look like your words.

Old 20-03-2012, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane wrote:

Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
you attributed to me in the above quote, the
person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

Couldn't prove it by me.

M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.

nb

Old 20-03-2012, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
om...
[...]

True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
typed in little "" signs in front of each row.

pavane

Old 20-03-2012, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane wrote:

Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
you attributed to me in the above quote, the
person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

Couldn't prove it by me.

M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.

nb

Quite the contrary. You make a glaring mistake and
then blame the person you misquoted for your own
carelessness. You are in fact highly offensive.

pavane

Old 20-03-2012, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane wrote:

Quite the contrary. You make a glaring mistake and
then blame the person you misquoted for your own
carelessness. You are in fact highly offensive.

Yeah, it's MY mistake YOUR newsreader is crap, which you freely admit
and another person also points it out to you. Yes, I'm highly
offensive. Why don't your killfile me. OH!!.... aother thing yer
newsreader is incapable of doing!

You silly.

nb

Old 20-03-2012, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:47:07 -0400, "pavane"
wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I think people who care about that sort of thing should do it and not
expect others to do it for them.