Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Curry?

I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
product?

I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
meal unfinished if I didn't like it.

Thoughts?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 9:26*am, KenK > wrote:
> I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
> product?

Simplest recipe: Next time you make stew, saute some curry powder
(spice aisle at your supermarket) when you brown the meat and onions.
Add chiles to taste in whatever form you prefer (green, red, fresh,
dried, even the crushed dried in the packet that comes with your
takeout pizza). Garlic can be substituted with asafoetida.

> I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
> restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
> meal unfinished if I didn't like it.

What a gift, to be so unaware of one's surroundings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, KenK > wrote:
> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
> product?

For Indian Curries, Pataks:

http://www.pataks.co.uk/

For Thai curries, Mae Ploy:

http://importfood.com/cpmp1404.html

Both of these are pretty good for commercial products and can often be
found in a well stocked or gourmet supermarkt in the Asian section.
I've pounded out an authentic Thai green curry in a Laotion clay
mortar/pestle. The above curries are not as good, but are a whole
helluva lot less work.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 12:26*pm, KenK > wrote:
> I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
> product?
>
> I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
> restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
> meal unfinished if I didn't like it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> "Experience is something you don't get until
> just after you need it." Steven Wright

Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2012 12:26 PM, KenK wrote:
> I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
> product?
>
> I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
> restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
> meal unfinished if I didn't like it.
>
> Thoughts?

It wouldn't cost much more to tr a curry dish in a Indian restaurant
than it would to by the meat, curry (powder or paste) and make
something at home. You have the added benefit of (hopefully) having a
professionally made dish that should be better than you are likely to
make for yourself.

Curry, BTW, is a generic term for a combination of herbs and spices.
There are different curries form different regions and for different
meats and vegetables. They are not all hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <b8f2aa87-9118-430c-8379-10396a7923f4
@tx8g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>, says...
I would suggest checking out some of
> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

http://www.richardfisher.com

or online, here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...adhur-Jaffrey-
picks-her-favourite-recipes.html

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Mar 2012 16:26:15 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
> product?
>
> I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
> restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
> meal unfinished if I didn't like it.
>
> Thoughts?

If you go to an Indian restaurant, tell them you are unfamiliar with
their cuisine and would like suggestions. Or you could look for
Indian food bloggers, make regular sized recipes and freeze them in
single portions to eat later.
http://www.spiceindiaonline.com/free...indian-dishes/
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2007/05/22/naan-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:

> Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
> the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
> As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
> for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

Your statement about the plant, of which there is an edible and
inedble plant, is as misleading and vague as the facts about the food
"curry". I jes made a Moroccan tagine and the term "curry" is nowhere
to be found, but I'll gar-own-damn-tee you it's a curry jes the same.
Let's stick to the OPs question about a curry --the food/sauce/etc--
and leave the much mailigned and almost impossible to prove
history/etymology of the term out of it.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:
>
>> Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
>> the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
>> As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
>> for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
>> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

> Your statement about the plant, of which there is an edible and
> inedble plant, is as misleading and vague as the facts about the food
> "curry". I jes made a Moroccan tagine and the term "curry" is nowhere
> to be found, but I'll gar-own-damn-tee you it's a curry jes the same.
> Let's stick to the OPs question about a curry --the food/sauce/etc--
> and leave the much mailigned and almost impossible to prove
> history/etymology of the term out of it.
>
> nb

Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
you attributed to me in the above quote, the
person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it. I wrote
two responsed later, recommending the Madhur
Jaffrey books and giving the Amazon pages for them.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2012 5:16 PM, pavane wrote:
the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

>> Your statement about the plant, of which there is an edible and
>> inedble plant, is as misleading and vague as the facts about the food
>> "curry". I jes made a Moroccan tagine and the term "curry" is nowhere
>> to be found, but I'll gar-own-damn-tee you it's a curry jes the same.
>> Let's stick to the OPs question about a curry --the food/sauce/etc--
>> and leave the much mailigned and almost impossible to prove
>> history/etymology of the term out of it.
>>
>> nb

> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it. I wrote
> two responsed later, recommending the Madhur
> Jaffrey books and giving the Amazon pages for them.

In fairness to nb, and your response to the unhelpful person, the
formatting makes it look like your words.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:

> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

Couldn't prove it by me.

M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> On 20/03/2012 5:16 PM, pavane wrote:
> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.
>>>
>>> Your statement about the plant, of which there is an edible and
>>> inedble plant, is as misleading and vague as the facts about the food
>>> "curry". I jes made a Moroccan tagine and the term "curry" is nowhere
>>> to be found, but I'll gar-own-damn-tee you it's a curry jes the same.
>>> Let's stick to the OPs question about a curry --the food/sauce/etc--
>>> and leave the much mailigned and almost impossible to prove
>>> history/etymology of the term out of it.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
>> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
>> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it. I wrote
>> two responsed later, recommending the Madhur
>> Jaffrey books and giving the Amazon pages for them.
>>

> In fairness to nb, and your response to the unhelpful person, the
> formatting makes it look like your words.

True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:
>>
>> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
>> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
>> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> Couldn't prove it by me.
>
> M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
> hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
> don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
> attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
> ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
> that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.
>
> nb

Quite the contrary. You make a glaring mistake and
then blame the person you misquoted for your own
carelessness. You are in fact highly offensive.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:

> Quite the contrary. You make a glaring mistake and
> then blame the person you misquoted for your own
> carelessness. You are in fact highly offensive.

Yeah, it's MY mistake YOUR newsreader is crap, which you freely admit
and another person also points it out to you. Yes, I'm highly
offensive. Why don't your killfile me. OH!!.... aother thing yer
newsreader is incapable of doing!

You silly.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:47:07 -0400, "pavane" >
wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> om...
> > On 20/03/2012 5:16 PM, pavane wrote:
> > the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

> >> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
> >> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
> >> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it. I wrote
> >> two responsed later, recommending the Madhur
> >> Jaffrey books and giving the Amazon pages for them.
> >>

> > In fairness to nb, and your response to the unhelpful person, the
> > formatting makes it look like your words.

> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

I think people who care about that sort of thing should do it and not
expect others to do it for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Mar 2012 21:42:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:
> >
> > Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
> > you attributed to me in the above quote, the
> > person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> Couldn't prove it by me.
>
> M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
> hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
> don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
> attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
> ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
> that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.
>
> nb

Don't blame Windows for the problem when the poster was using Google.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2012 6:26 AM, KenK wrote:
> I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
> product?
>
> I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
> restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
> meal unfinished if I didn't like it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA

You could try one of the many Japan curry mixes available in Asian
markets. They are a roux in a solid brick form and it probably the
easiest way to prepare this dish. The results are quite good. I think
you'll like it. You can also get Japan curry in a pouch that's already
made. They are just so-so.

We have several types of curry over here. Thai/Vietnamese curry has a
coconut milk base, Hawaiian style curry is more like a stew with curry
powder added, Japan curry has a thick rich meat sauce base and is on the
sweet side. There's also a Japanese version of an Indian style curry
that's spicier and not as sweet but that's not too common. I'm not too
familiar with the Indian style curry as I have not been to an Indian
restaurant in decades. All I know is that there's a world of curry out
there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:
>>
>> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
>> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
>> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> Couldn't prove it by me.

you forgot to put fingers in ears and say "la la la I don't hear youuuU!!!"

-1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2012 2:17 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
> the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
> As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
> for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

Curry actually means sauce, and curries are a variety of sauced dishes
found in many different cultures. The curry plant that you might find in
your garden center is not used to make curry spice blends. It is called
the curry plant because of its fragrance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2012 5:42 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-03-20, > wrote:
>>
>> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
>> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
>> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> Couldn't prove it by me.
>
> M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
> hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
> don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
> attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
> ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
> that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.
>
> nb

yer do know the problem was caused by google right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2012 4:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 20/03/2012 12:26 PM, KenK wrote:
>> I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
>> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
>> product?
>>
>> I'd prefer not to try it in a restaurant. Not sure there is an Indian
>> restaurant here, and even if so I'd hate to leave an expensive restaurant
>> meal unfinished if I didn't like it.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> It wouldn't cost much more to tr a curry dish in a Indian restaurant
> than it would to by the meat, curry (powder or paste) and make something
> at home. You have the added benefit of (hopefully) having a
> professionally made dish that should be better than you are likely to
> make for yourself.

My thoughts too. The OP could even go to an
Indian/Thai/Japanese/Afghan/Chinese/Cambodian wherever place that serves
curry dishes for lunch and get a professionally prepared lunch sized
serving at lower cost.

> Curry, BTW, is a generic term for a combination of herbs and spices.
> There are different curries form different regions and for different
> meats and vegetables. They are not all hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 3:52*pm, George > wrote:
> On 3/20/2012 5:42 PM, notbob wrote:
>

> > On 2012-03-20, > *wrote:

> >> Be careful of your attributions. *I did not write what
> >> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
> >> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> > Couldn't prove it by me.

> > M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
> > hard to tell who said what when/where. *It's obvious Windows users
> > don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
> > attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. *You want
> > ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
> > that's not a piece of garbage. *No offense. *

> > nb

> yer do know the problem was caused by google right?

Of all the newsreaders in the world, only MS Outlook Express goes
berserk when faced with MIME/Quoted-Printable, which googlegroups
uses.

It's not 1985 anymore, and the world does not communicate in ASCII any
more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 2:49*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

> > On 2012-03-20, pavane > wrote:

> >> Be careful of your attributions. *I did not write what
> >> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
> >> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> > Couldn't prove it by me.

> > M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
> > hard to tell who said what when/where. *It's obvious Windows users
> > don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
> > attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. *You want
> > ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
> > that's not a piece of garbage. *No offense. *

> > nb

> Quite the contrary. *You make a glaring mistake and
> then blame the person you misquoted for your own
> carelessness. *You are in fact highly offensive.

The root cause of the problem is pavane's persistent use of Microsoft
Outlook Express -- a mail client -- to read and respond to news. This
unsuitability of this mail client has been known since at least 2002.
Back then, some kind soul created "QuoteFix" to make up for OLE's
flaw. This person has not kept up his charity work, but, one would
think, kludging Outlook Express to be a competent newsreader would no
longer be necessary a decade later.

Switch to Agent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 5:48*pm, "David Storm" > wrote:

[top-posting and non-quoting fixed]

> "KenK" *wrote in 1...
>>
>> I've often heard of curry and would like to try it. Can anyone provide a
>> simple recipe (ideally for one) or perhaps an authentic-tasting prepared
>> product?

> http://www.cr0.co.uk/

Sure, click on a recipe, OP:

"Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?"

The OP sought simplicity, and everyone gives him complexity. Sipping
from the data firehose results only in chipped teeth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I always thought "a curry" was a noun for a particular dish made from a
particular recipe. Curry powder to me is an adjective describing a
certain yellowish spice. I use to like to buy a box of Uncle Bens wild
long grain rice and prepare according to box instructions and stir in
curry powder to taste. Tasted good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> In fairness to nb, and your response to the unhelpful person, the
>> formatting makes it look like your words.

> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

That would probably be the best bet, since it is a standard indicator of
quoted text.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...

>>> In fairness to nb, and your response to the unhelpful person, the
>>> formatting makes it look like your words.

>> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
>> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
>> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
>> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

> That would probably be the best bet, since it is a standard indicator of
> quoted text.

Yeah. But if I am going to criticize someone, I will try to be sure
that I am quoting correctly, I will re-read what I am criticizing, and
I will be careful. Then if I make a mistake I will not blame the person
whom I misquoted or misattributed. That is simply stupid (*stupid*)
and pigheaded and dumb (*dumb*). It is called personal respon-
sibility to be aware when you blow your mouth off, and if you blow it
to stand behind your foolishness rather than try to blame someone
else for your own mistakes.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2012 11:03 PM, pavane wrote:
> "Dave > wrote in message
> om...

>>> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
>>> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
>>> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
>>> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

>> That would probably be the best bet, since it is a standard indicator of
>> quoted text.

> Yeah. But if I am going to criticize someone, I will try to be sure
> that I am quoting correctly, I will re-read what I am criticizing, and
> I will be careful. Then if I make a mistake I will not blame the person
> whom I misquoted or misattributed. That is simply stupid (*stupid*)
> and pigheaded and dumb (*dumb*). It is called personal respon-
> sibility to be aware when you blow your mouth off, and if you blow it
> to stand behind your foolishness rather than try to blame someone
> else for your own mistakes.

Sorry, but IMO pigheaded and stubborn is acknowledging that your
newsreader and then blaming someone else for misunderstanding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:03:32 -0400, "pavane" >
wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> om...

> >> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
> >> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
> >> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
> >> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

> > That would probably be the best bet, since it is a standard indicator of
> > quoted text.

> Yeah. But if I am going to criticize someone, I will try to be sure
> that I am quoting correctly, I will re-read what I am criticizing, and
> I will be careful. Then if I make a mistake I will not blame the person
> whom I misquoted or misattributed. That is simply stupid (*stupid*)
> and pigheaded and dumb (*dumb*). It is called personal respon-
> sibility to be aware when you blow your mouth off, and if you blow it
> to stand behind your foolishness rather than try to blame someone
> else for your own mistakes.

You're the one who posted incorrectly. Don't expect people who reply
to correct your mistakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 03:15:56 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
> colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat" levels.

9? Wow!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> Curry is too broad a term to deal with ths way; it's like saying I've
> heard of soup ...provide a simple recipe. A good approach might be
> to read the wiki entry on curry, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry;
> then, ask for recipes targeting curries that appeal to your tastes in
> other foods.

True. One curry I fondly remember was served to me in Varanasi meny years
ago, it was a plate with a roasted whole chicken leg and some undressed
rice, and it came with a bowl of this yellow broth/sauce which was very
spicy, basically curry and some chiles. The broth wasn't thick but it was
very yellow, almost like yellow paint. I loved it over the rice and the
chicken.
Which curry recipe should I look for?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

With OEquotefix installed my OE perfectly reads all posts, including those
from google.
It's very easy to install, then you just use the new shortcut to OE that it
creates for you, called "OE with OE-QuoteFix". Here it is:

PS - I find OEquotefix's coloring to be very comfortable

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> yer do know the problem was caused by google right?

no, it's caused by unpatched Outlook Express. Patch it with OEquotefix and
the problem is gone. OE is a very simple and effective newsreader but it
quotes horribly and must be fixed.
Did I write "must"? Yes, it must.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

(z z) wrote:

> > I always thought "a curry" was a noun for a particular dish made from a
> > particular recipe. Curry powder to me is an adjective describing a
> > certain yellowish spice.

> My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
> colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat" levels.
> We also have an international grocer nearby, it has even more curry
> "powders"; three varieties (Madras, Medium and Hot) of Rajah brand in just
> the England aisle.

Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
"convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable.
India used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
what people in India use.

Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.

If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
yourself a basic masala set like this.

http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/03/2012 8:47 AM, pavane wrote:
> "Dave > wrote in message
> om...
>> On 20/03/2012 5:16 PM, pavane wrote:
>> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

>>> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
>>> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
>>> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it. I wrote
>>> two responsed later, recommending the Madhur
>>> Jaffrey books and giving the Amazon pages for them.
>>>

>> In fairness to nb, and your response to the unhelpful person, the
>> formatting makes it look like your words.

> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.
>
> pavane

Using the right caret would be cumbersome as you would have to add a
specific CR/LF at the end of each line due to word wrap. I have done it
in the past but only with very short excerpts of text.

Far more preferable would be to use 2 rows of asterisks, one above the
quoted text and one below. An additional benefit would be to separate
the each row of asterisks with a blank line above and below it. The
blank space provides a much more visible delimiter.

The right caret is the usenet/email defacto quotation standard for many
client programs. It is in the case of Forte Agent and Mozilla
Thunderbird, both of which I currently use. I notice that some posters
use alternatives which can cause confusion. I suspect they are using
default settings and should maybe adjust said settings to use of the
right caret. At least then we would have a degree of consistency with
the display of quoted material

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/03/2012 8:42 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-03-20, > wrote:
>>
>> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
>> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
>> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> Couldn't prove it by me.
>
> M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
> hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
> don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
> attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
> ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
> that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.
>
> nb

You should "bother" if only to provide an example to those who don't.
Most Windows users are marginally computer literate so use only what is
supplied as default with their installation of Windows. That is why
there is such a mass proliferation of Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express users on the internet. These people simply do not know of the
problems they cause nor do they, in most cases, have a clue what to do
about it. They just want to use the internet, not become techheads. For
many, installing a program is fraught with difficulty. Don't expect them
to delve into the bowels of their default browser or email/usenet client
to adjust settings much less install a decent version. These are the
people who provide employment for a raft of Windows "experts" but they
only seek assistance when things go horribly wrong.

Get used to them, they are out there and, what's worse, they are breeding!

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> pavane wrote:
>
>> True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
>> pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
>> using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
>> typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

> With OEquotefix installed my OE perfectly reads all posts, including
> those from google.
> It's very easy to install, then you just use the new shortcut to OE
> that it creates for you, called "OE with OE-QuoteFix". Here it is:
>
> PS - I find OEquotefix's coloring to be very comfortable

Oh, this is a great application. Thank you for being considerate.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-21, Janet > wrote:

> Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
> has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
> prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
> she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
> hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
> from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.

Correctamundo, Janet!

Essentially, a curry is a dish, much like an etouffe or a stew is a
dish. There are as many as there are spice/meat/veggie combos. The
Brits popularized the concept of it being a spice after they Indians
kicked 'em out and the ex-colonizers got their housekeepers to make up
a batch of "that spice" to carry back to merry old England.

Like all good things, curries didn't stay put. It's no accident
there are Chinese curries, Thai curries, Tibetan curries, etc. And
the term may not have traveled well, but the concept certainly did.
Like I said, the Moroccan spice blend (ras el hanout) I recently made
up and the dish I used it in may be named a tagine, but it's as much a
curry as anything I've ever prepared or eaten. Probably more so cuz I
made the blend up from freshly ground whole spices. A textbook case
of an Indian masala in a curry dish.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/masala

nb