Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Curry?

On 21 Mar 2012 13:50:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-03-21, Janet > wrote:
>
>> Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
>> has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
>> prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
>> she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
>> hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
>> from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.

>Correctamundo, Janet!
>
>Essentially, a curry is a dish, much like an etouffe or a stew is a
>dish. There are as many as there are spice/meat/veggie combos. The
>Brits popularized the concept of it being a spice after they Indians
>kicked 'em out and the ex-colonizers got their housekeepers to make up
>a batch of "that spice" to carry back to merry old England.
>
>Like all good things, curries didn't stay put. It's no accident
>there are Chinese curries, Thai curries, Tibetan curries, etc. And
>the term may not have traveled well, but the concept certainly did.
>Like I said, the Moroccan spice blend (ras el hanout) I recently made
>up and the dish I used it in may be named a tagine, but it's as much a
>curry as anything I've ever prepared or eaten. Probably more so cuz I
>made the blend up from freshly ground whole spices. A textbook case
>of an Indian masala in a curry dish.
>
>http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/masala
>
>nb

There is also a plant called curry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_Tree

further confusing the concept of a curry dish!

;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-21, Krypsis > wrote:

> Using the right caret would be cumbersome as you would have to add a
> specific CR/LF at the end of each line due to word wrap. I have done
> it in the past but only with very short excerpts of text.

Like a good newreader client, a good editor will do it. I use emacs,
which will correctly reformat and wrap a heavily edited paragraph
while maintaining the integrity of the quote carets. Xemacs would be
a better choice for Windows users. BTW, (X)emacs also includes a very
good newreader client, among other things. Problem is, emacs is not
for the faint of heart. LOOOOONG and tedious learning curve, even for
Linux users. I can't think of a Windows based --even 3rd party--
editor that will maintain quotes while editing, but I'm sure there's
one somewhere.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-21, Krypsis > wrote:

> Get used to them, they are out there and, what's worse, they are breeding!

Sad, but true.

What I find particularly amazing is the abhorance to using the command
line interface (CLI). You know ...like DOS. Yet, seems today's youth
have no problem knocking out five or six dozen text msgs per day using
only their thumbs, without looking! A new breed of touch typers who
hate using text commands. How bizarre is that?

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/03/2012 1:12 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-03-21, > wrote:
>
>> Get used to them, they are out there and, what's worse, they are breeding!

> Sad, but true.
>
> What I find particularly amazing is the abhorance to using the command
> line interface (CLI). You know ...like DOS. Yet, seems today's youth
> have no problem knocking out five or six dozen text msgs per day using
> only their thumbs, without looking! A new breed of touch typers who
> hate using text commands. How bizarre is that?
>
> nb

Good point! I hadn't ever thought of that aspect! ;-)

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/03/2012 2:30 AM, Gary wrote:
> Krypsis wrote:

>>> Couldn't prove it by me.
>>>
>>> M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
>>> hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
>>> don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
>>> attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
>>> ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
>>> that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> You should "bother" if only to provide an example to those who don't.
>> Most Windows users are marginally computer literate so use only what is
>> supplied as default with their installation of Windows. That is why
>> there is such a mass proliferation of Internet Explorer and Outlook
>> Express users on the internet. These people simply do not know of the
>> problems they cause nor do they, in most cases, have a clue what to do
>> about it. They just want to use the internet, not become techheads. For
>> many, installing a program is fraught with difficulty. Don't expect them
>> to delve into the bowels of their default browser or email/usenet client
>> to adjust settings much less install a decent version. These are the
>> people who provide employment for a raft of Windows "experts" but they
>> only seek assistance when things go horribly wrong.
>>
>> Get used to them, they are out there and, what's worse, they are breeding!

> This is so true! Many ppl with problems, I'll tell them to do this or
> download and install that and they don't have a clue as to what I'm talking
> about. I've helped several over the years by going over to their house and
> doing it myself.
>
> Gary

One of the simplest cures to computer slowdown that I have had occasion
to use was to simply flush the browser cache. So many people complain
that their computer has become so slow on the internet that it is almost
unusable and all that was wrong was their cache was so huge that it took
longer to search through it than it would have been to simply go out
onto the net and get a fresh copy of the webpage. Easy cure, press the
flush button then reduce the size of the cache to something reasonable
like 10 meg or so.
Most browsers these days seem to use a percentage of hard disk capacity
and, in this era of huge drives, that seems to be 1024 megabytes. That's
way too big for a cache that will contain millions of small web files.

--

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis wrote:

> On 21/03/2012 8:42 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2012-03-20, > wrote:
> >>
> >> Be careful of your attributions. I did not write what
> >> you attributed to me in the above quote, the
> >> person writing as "helpful Person" wrote it.

> > Couldn't prove it by me.
> >
> > M$ Windows has been mucking up quotes and attributions for so long,
> > hard to tell who said what when/where. It's obvious Windows users
> > don't give a damn if their crappy newsreader client improperly
> > attribute quotes or doesn't bother at all, so why should I. You want
> > ppl to accurately attribute what you said, get a newsreader client
> > that's not a piece of garbage. No offense.
> >
> > nb
> >

> You should "bother" if only to provide an example to those who don't.
> Most Windows users are marginally computer literate so use only what is
> supplied as default with their installation of Windows. That is why
> there is such a mass proliferation of Internet Explorer and Outlook
> Express users on the internet. These people simply do not know of the
> problems they cause nor do they, in most cases, have a clue what to do
> about it. They just want to use the internet, not become techheads. For
> many, installing a program is fraught with difficulty. Don't expect them
> to delve into the bowels of their default browser or email/usenet client
> to adjust settings much less install a decent version. These are the
> people who provide employment for a raft of Windows "experts" but they
> only seek assistance when things go horribly wrong.
>
> Get used to them, they are out there and, what's worse, they are breeding!

This is so true! Many ppl with problems, I'll tell them to do this or
download and install that and they don't have a clue as to what I'm talking
about. I've helped several over the years by going over to their house and
doing it myself.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
>>
>> PS - I find OEquotefix's coloring to be very comfortable

> Oh, this is a great application. Thank you for being considerate.

Glad to help

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 6:33*pm, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 3/20/2012 2:17 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>
> > Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. *However,
> > the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
> > As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
> > for a good soup or meat recipe. *I would suggest checking out some of
> > the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

> Curry actually means sauce, and curries are a variety of sauced dishes
> found in many different cultures. The curry plant that you might find in
> your garden center is not used to make curry spice blends. It is called
> the curry plant because of its fragrance.

Not true. The curry leaf is used as a seasoning in Indian dishes.
There is no accepted meaning to the term "curry" when used to a dish
of food
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 3:54*am, Janet > wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

> > On 20-Mar-2012, (z z) wrote:

> > > I always thought "a curry" was a noun for a particular dish made from a
> > > particular recipe. Curry powder to me is an adjective describing a
> > > certain yellowish spice.

> > My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
> > colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat" levels.
> > We also have an international grocer nearby, it has even more curry
> > "powders"; three varieties (Madras, Medium and Hot) of Rajah brand in just
> > the England aisle.

> Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
> "convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable.
> *India *used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
> a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
> curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
> what people in India use.
>
> * Indian cooks don't use a *single curry powder; every housewife and cook
> has *a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
> prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
> she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
> hugely by region and culture so depending which region *the cook comes
> from, curry *dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.
>
> * *If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
> yourself a basic masala set like this.
>
> * *http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm

Some people want to date before they marry. Before investing in spices
before you even know if you like the taste of the end product, start
with a good proprietary mixture.

Personally I'm shocked at the idea of buying turmeric powder -- I go
in the back yard, cut off a bit of root, and pound it in the mortar
along with the garlic. (I pound the seeds first, then pour them out.
Seeds keep much better than do ground spices, obviously.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-21, Gary > wrote:

> Actually....I just checked and it's the Firefox cookie files that accumulate
> so much (and slow down my computer), not the cache. I just deleted 400 of
> them.

You need to approach the problem in a pro-active manner. DON'T
collect the cookies in the first place. I never allow cookies and
only do so when absolutely necessary, which is seldom. I think I have
half dozen cookies in my cache. Also, you can set FF so it empties
all its caches (history, search, cookies, etc) every time you close
it. If not, try Seamonkey, FF's 1st cousin. Also from mozilla and
based on the old Netscape broswer suite with a lotta FF functionality.
Actually has more user control than FF.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis wrote:

> One of the simplest cures to computer slowdown that I have had occasion
> to use was to simply flush the browser cache. So many people complain
> that their computer has become so slow on the internet that it is almost
> unusable and all that was wrong was their cache was so huge that it took
> longer to search through it than it would have been to simply go out
> onto the net and get a fresh copy of the webpage.

I do that with my Firefox copy. As you said, it gets so big eventually that
it slows way down to a crawl. I clean it out once a week or so now.

Actually....I just checked and it's the Firefox cookie files that accumulate
so much (and slow down my computer), not the cache. I just deleted 400 of
them.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/03/2012 11:52 AM, an un Helpful person wrote:

>> Curry actually means sauce, and curries are a variety of sauced dishes
>> found in many different cultures. The curry plant that you might find in
>> your garden center is not used to make curry spice blends. It is called
>> the curry plant because of its fragrance.

> Not true. The curry leaf is used as a seasoning in Indian dishes.
> There is no accepted meaning to the term "curry" when used to a dish
> of food

One might expect that, having had other, more knowledgeable people
posting correct information, you might give up on the idea of misleading
people into believing that curry is a plant and not a spice mixture or
generic word for the cooking of various countries in southern Asia.
Yes, there is a curry tree and, yes, the leaves are used in some
curries. You may have noted that several people posting on this thread
have indicated that there is single mixture and no single curry dish.

However..... if you insist on insisting about misleading information,
just admit that you are only here to troll and we can plonk you now and
save the effort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> On 21/03/2012 11:52 AM, an un Helpful person wrote:
>

>>> Curry actually means sauce, and curries are a variety of sauced dishes
>>> found in many different cultures. The curry plant that you might find in
>>> your garden center is not used to make curry spice blends. It is called
>>> the curry plant because of its fragrance.

>> Not true. The curry leaf is used as a seasoning in Indian dishes.
>> There is no accepted meaning to the term "curry" when used to a dish
>> of food

> One might expect that, having had other, more knowledgeable people posting
> correct information, you might give up on the idea of misleading people
> into believing that curry is a plant and not a spice mixture or generic
> word for the cooking of various countries in southern Asia. Yes, there is
> a curry tree and, yes, the leaves are used in some curries. You may have
> noted that several people posting on this thread have indicated that there
> is single mixture and no single curry dish.
>

> However..... if you insist on insisting about misleading information, just
> admit that you are only here to troll and we can plonk you now and save
> the effort.

Why don't you simply "plonk" everyone, thus saving yourself
much trouble and making everyone else inestimably happy.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-21, Gary > wrote:

> Ok... when I set Firefox to "not allow" cookies, I keep getting pop-up
> windows regarding that. It's easier to allow them, then delete them later.

Whatever works for you.

I guess I'm used to a more secure browsing experience and not being
bothered by pop-ups and cookies and such. Yes, I do occasionally need
to enable cookies or client side scripts, like if I want to view a
youtube video, but I'm used to and prefer that slight inconvenience
over constant slowdowns of my system. BUT!.... like I always say,
it's all about choice.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:33:52 +0100, "ViLco" > wrote:

> pavane wrote:
>
> > True. That is why I corrected him. Posts from google do not
> > pick up the initial delineator, whatever it is, so I separate by
> > using a row of asterisks. I could have taken more time and
> > typed in little ">" signs in front of each row.

> With OEquotefix installed my OE perfectly reads all posts, including those
> from google.
> It's very easy to install, then you just use the new shortcut to OE that it
> creates for you, called "OE with OE-QuoteFix". Here it is:
>
> PS - I find OEquotefix's coloring to be very comfortable

From what I've read, Quotefix only works on older versions... it
doesn't work with win7

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-03-21, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Actually....I just checked and it's the Firefox cookie files that accumulate
> > so much (and slow down my computer), not the cache. I just deleted 400 of
> > them.

> You need to approach the problem in a pro-active manner. DON'T
> collect the cookies in the first place. I never allow cookies and
> only do so when absolutely necessary, which is seldom.

Ok... when I set Firefox to "not allow" cookies, I keep getting pop-up
windows regarding that. It's easier to allow them, then delete them later.

My old Netscape is even better. I allow cookies but I set my cookie file to
"read only." Websites don't recognize that setting and they think they are
leaving cookie files...but they don't. Score one for using OLD software.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <69e3a746-ab8b-4eb7-ac5b-
>, says...
>
> On Mar 21, 3:54*am, Janet > wrote:

> > > My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
> > > colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat" levels.
> > > We also have an international grocer nearby, it has even more curry
> > > "powders"; three varieties (Madras, Medium and Hot) of Rajah brand in just
> > > the England aisle.

> > Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
> > "convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable..
> > *India *used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
> > a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
> > curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
> > what people in India use.
> >
> > * Indian cooks don't use a *single curry powder; every housewife and cook
> > has *a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
> > prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
> > she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
> > hugely by region and culture so depending which region *the cook comes
> > from, curry *dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.
> >
> > * *If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
> > yourself a basic masala set like this.
> >
> > * *
http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm

> Some people want to date before they marry. Before investing in spices
> before you even know if you like the taste of the end product, start
> with a good proprietary mixture.

Nah, that's like trying to choose a husband by his brand of aftershave
:-)

Janet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> What I find particularly amazing is the abhorance to using the command
> line interface (CLI). You know ...like DOS. Yet, seems today's youth
> have no problem knocking out five or six dozen text msgs per day using
> only their thumbs, without looking! A new breed of touch typers who
> hate using text commands. How bizarre is that?

Using the CLI is a language so it requires skill in a language other
than English. Doing text messages is theoretically in English so it
only requires enough English to know how to reduce it to texting
abbreviations. Not bizzare once I thought of it in those terms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-21, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Using the CLI is a language so it requires skill in a language other
> than English. Doing text messages is theoretically in English so it
> only requires enough English to know how to reduce it to texting
> abbreviations. Not bizzare once I thought of it in those terms.

Most CLIs are shells which use the same sort of Eng "texting
abbreviations" as cellphone texting. The command ls is short for
list, as in list the contents of this directory. The command rm is
short for remove, as in remove this file or directory. Hardly a
foreign language.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> What I find particularly amazing is the abhorance to using the command
>> line interface (CLI). You know ...like DOS. Yet, seems today's youth
>> have no problem knocking out five or six dozen text msgs per day using
>> only their thumbs, without looking! A new breed of touch typers who
>> hate using text commands. How bizarre is that?

> Using the CLI is a language so it requires skill in a language other
> than English. Doing text messages is theoretically in English so it
> only requires enough English to know how to reduce it to texting
> abbreviations. Not bizzare once I thought of it in those terms.

you're using a funny definition of language there ... using a CLI at
the elementary level requires mostly vocabulary which isn't so hard
to acquire, but the fact is when given the choice between menus or
CLI (or its equivalent in batch files) even many advanced users will
choose menus ... at least in my experience

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stale spices (was Curry?)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:44:04 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>And some just want an occasional fling. I don't want a cabinet full of
>stale spices for an occasional curry dish. I usually buy Rajah brand and
>keep any unused portion in the freezer for next time.

That always amuses me, when people say "stale spices". You are
referring to dried spices, correct? Then by definition, they are
already stale!

There are fresh spices (like I will get when the basil plants I
planted last week get bigger) and there are dried or "stale" spices.
Drying spices was invented as a way to preserve the flavors in a spice
without allowing it to get moldy and spoiled.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2012 3:22 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> What I find particularly amazing is the abhorance to using the command
>> line interface (CLI). You know ...like DOS. Yet, seems today's youth
>> have no problem knocking out five or six dozen text msgs per day using
>> only their thumbs, without looking! A new breed of touch typers who
>> hate using text commands. How bizarre is that?

> Using the CLI is a language so it requires skill in a language other
> than English. Doing text messages is theoretically in English so it
> only requires enough English to know how to reduce it to texting
> abbreviations. Not bizzare once I thought of it in those terms.

I think the main difference is that texting is totally casual and done
from a much more difficult to use keyboard so people don't expect good
grammar and spelling. So someone could write almost nonsense such as
"yer jes ppl" .

If you are entering something on a command line you need to know the
proper spelling and syntax such as "your just people" to accomplish
anything..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-21, tert in seattle > wrote:

> choose menus ... at least in my experience

......or lack of experience.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:20:15 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:44:04 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>>
>>And some just want an occasional fling. I don't want a cabinet full of
>>stale spices for an occasional curry dish. I usually buy Rajah brand and
>>keep any unused portion in the freezer for next time.

>That always amuses me, when people say "stale spices". You are
>referring to dried spices, correct? Then by definition, they are
>already stale!
>
>There are fresh spices (like I will get when the basil plants I
>planted last week get bigger) and there are dried or "stale" spices.
>Drying spices was invented as a way to preserve the flavors in a spice
>without allowing it to get moldy and spoiled.
>
>John Kuthe...

Basil is an herb, not a spice.
Are you discussing herbs or spices? It is unclear.
Is it your point that spices do not become stale? Or that once spices
are dried their flavor profile never changes?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:50:12 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:20:15 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:44:04 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>>>
>>>And some just want an occasional fling. I don't want a cabinet full of
>>>stale spices for an occasional curry dish. I usually buy Rajah brand and
>>>keep any unused portion in the freezer for next time.

>>That always amuses me, when people say "stale spices". You are
>>referring to dried spices, correct? Then by definition, they are
>>already stale!
>>
>>There are fresh spices (like I will get when the basil plants I
>>planted last week get bigger) and there are dried or "stale" spices.
>>Drying spices was invented as a way to preserve the flavors in a spice
>>without allowing it to get moldy and spoiled.
>>
>>John Kuthe...

>Basil is an herb, not a spice.
>Are you discussing herbs or spices? It is unclear.
>Is it your point that spices do not become stale? Or that once spices
>are dried their flavor profile never changes?
>Janet US

Oh I'm sure their flavors diminish with time. That's entropy! No
stopping that. l, not -I mentoned that he keeps his spices in the
freezer, I'm assuming in airtight containers, and I'm sure this helps
slow the inevitable. But it does not stop it.

I just use more of a spice seems diminsihed in flavor. There is always
some flavor left. Assuming the flavors diminish as e^(-kt)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

ah okay, thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" wrote in message ...

> Which curry recipe should I look for?

You should look for a good curry - mix, first of all.
By "good" I mean a curry powder you like.
The main ones would be Bengal, Madras, Ceylon and Vindaloo.
Curry powder (as we know it) can contain up to 20 spices.
If the sauce was very yellow, it had more curcuma in it.

Take some curry powder, heat it in some fat until it starts to
smell. Never heat it too long, it get's bitter.
Add the mix to your dish (but only bring the sauce to simmer).

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner wrote:

>> Which curry recipe should I look for?

> You should look for a good curry - mix, first of all.
> By "good" I mean a curry powder you like.
> The main ones would be Bengal, Madras, Ceylon and Vindaloo.

Vindaloo reminds me of the chicken vindaloo I had in the Netherlands in
2002, very very hot, a very good dish.

> Curry powder (as we know it) can contain up to 20 spices.
> If the sauce was very yellow, it had more curcuma in it.
>
> Take some curry powder, heat it in some fat until it starts to
> smell. Never heat it too long, it get's bitter.
> Add the mix to your dish (but only bring the sauce to simmer).

That's probably the easiest way to use curry, thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> With OEquotefix installed my OE perfectly reads all posts, including
>> those from google.
>> It's very easy to install, then you just use the new shortcut to OE
>> that it creates for you, called "OE with OE-QuoteFix". Here it is:
>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
>>
>> PS - I find OEquotefix's coloring to be very comfortable

> From what I've read, Quotefix only works on older versions... it
> doesn't work with win7

It works on all versions of OE and even on Windows Mail

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:49:54 +0100, "ViLco" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> With OEquotefix installed my OE perfectly reads all posts, including
> >> those from google.
> >> It's very easy to install, then you just use the new shortcut to OE
> >> that it creates for you, called "OE with OE-QuoteFix". Here it is:
> >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> >>
> >> PS - I find OEquotefix's coloring to be very comfortable

> > From what I've read, Quotefix only works on older versions... it
> > doesn't work with win7

> It works on all versions of OE and even on Windows Mail

So they upgraded it in the last 6-9 months? I read here in rfc (last
Fall) that it didn't work on Win7/Live Mail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> From what I've read, Quotefix only works on older versions... it
>>> doesn't work with win7

>> It works on all versions of OE and even on Windows Mail

> So they upgraded it in the last 6-9 months?

No and if you look better you'll see that I wrote "all versions of OE and
even on Windows Mail" which are way older than 6-9 months.

> I read here in rfc (last Fall) that it didn't work on Win7/Live Mail.

In fact "Windows Live Mail" is not "Outlook Express"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(z z) wrote:

>> > I always thought "a curry" was a noun for a particular dish made from a
>> > particular recipe. Curry powder to me is an adjective describing a
>> > certain yellowish spice.

>> My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
>> colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat"
>> levels.
>> We also have an international grocer nearby, it has even more curry
>> "powders"; three varieties (Madras, Medium and Hot) of Rajah brand in
>> just
>> the England aisle.

> Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
> "convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable.
> India used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
> a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
> curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
> what people in India use.
>
> Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
> has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
> prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
> she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
> hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
> from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.
>
> If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
> yourself a basic masala set like this.

http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm

> Janet

That's a nifty spice storage gadget, for sure! But what do you do when the
spices run out? I guess I'd have to order online from spicehouse.com or
penzey's. I know my local supermarket doesn't carry garam masala, funugreek
or cinnamon sticks. I'm not even sure they carry ground coriander. As much
as I love Publix supermarket, they have a rather limited spice section.

Do you know if the Bina site ships to the US? I sent them an email to
inquire, but I only see mention on the site about additional postage if
outside the UK but in EU. I ask because my oldest brother has a birthday
coming up. He loves to cook and loves different types of curries. I think
this would make a very nice gift!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
says...

(z z) wrote:

> >> My local (STL) supermarket has 9 different powders labelled curry; the
> >> colors range from yellow to redish brown and three different "heat"
> >> levels.
> >> We also have an international grocer nearby, it has even more curry
> >> "powders"; three varieties (Madras, Medium and Hot) of Rajah brand in
> >> just
> >> the England aisle.

> > Curry powder is to curry, as a bouillon cube is to stock. It's an instant
> > "convenience" short cut. The real thing is far more subtle and variable.
> > India used to be part of the British Empire; many colonialists acquired
> > a taste for curries which they brought back home to Britain. Ready-mix
> > curry powders came with them for their home cooks to use. But it's not,
> > what people in India use.
> >
> > Indian cooks don't use a single curry powder; every housewife and cook
> > has a masala collection of different spices/seeds etc and grinds and
> > prepares different combinations for different tastes according to what
> > she's cooking.Just like any other huge continent, Indian cookery varies
> > hugely by region and culture so depending which region the cook comes
> > from, curry dishes might be very mild and delicate or fiercely hot.
> >
> > If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
> > yourself a basic masala set like this.

http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm

> > Janet
> >

> That's a nifty spice storage gadget, for sure! But what do you do when the
> spices run out?

Buy refills from local supermarket or health food shop.

I guess I'd have to order online from spicehouse.com or
> penzey's. I know my local supermarket doesn't carry garam masala, funugreek
> or cinnamon sticks. I'm not even sure they carry ground coriander.

Virtually every UK supermarket carries all those and many more. Curries
(eating and cooking) are very well known and popular here.

> Do you know if the Bina site ships to the US?

Sorry, no idea. But if you google for "masala dubba USA" you 'll surely
find a similar supplier in the USA. Here you go

http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/OrderForm.htm

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Helpful person > wrote:

> Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
> the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
> As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
> for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

The name "curry" means "soup or sauce" in India. When the English left
India, they wanted to be able to reproduce some of the dishes they had
enjoyed, so they invented curry powder.

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Murr_koe.html

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> What I find particularly amazing is the abhorance to using the command
>>> line interface (CLI). You know ...like DOS. Yet, seems today's youth
>>> have no problem knocking out five or six dozen text msgs per day using
>>> only their thumbs, without looking! A new breed of touch typers who
>>> hate using text commands. How bizarre is that?

>> Using the CLI is a language so it requires skill in a language other
>> than English. Doing text messages is theoretically in English so it
>> only requires enough English to know how to reduce it to texting
>> abbreviations. Not bizzare once I thought of it in those terms.

> you're using a funny definition of language there ... using a CLI at
> the elementary level requires mostly vocabulary which isn't so hard
> to acquire, but the fact is when given the choice between menus or
> CLI (or its equivalent in batch files) even many advanced users will
> choose menus ... at least in my experience

It's an IT topic with only a poetic relation to cooking.

CLI has grammar. It's why CLI is used for scripting. Cooking has
grammar. It's why good chefs can come up with a receipt after glancing
at a basket of ingrients. It's the Chopped equivalent in the IT world.

Here's why it's not the advanced users who chose the menus -

One day I wanted to teach the team of SysAdmins why for us the CLI beat
the GUI. We had two printers to add on a network of about 60
engineering workstations. I took one and added it using the CLI. One
of the other guys took one and added it using the GUI. I was done in
about two minutes. One minute to figure it out on the workstation it
was attached to. One minute to type in and run the loop to add it to
the other 59 workstations. The other guy hadn't even walked over to the
second one yet by the time I was done. Oh no, the advanced folks are
the ones who type in a bunch oof stuff and then it's done. While the
intermediate folks are running GUI after GUI or menu after menu remotely
and the junior folks are walking arund workstation to workstation.

It's somewhat like a chef running a lot of items in parallel working
with one pan after another as each step of each recipe is ready to
happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2012 11:31 AM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Helpful > wrote:
>

>> Curry is actually plant whose leaves are used as a spice. However,
>> the term has come to mean any dish that uses a combination of spices.
>> As someone else mentioned, your term "curry" is too vague, like asking
>> for a good soup or meat recipe. I would suggest checking out some of
>> the books by Madhur Jaffrey.

> The name "curry" means "soup or sauce" in India. When the English left
> India, they wanted to be able to reproduce some of the dishes they had
> enjoyed, so they invented curry powder.
>
> http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Murr_koe.html

There are a number of dishes that are quite different but many people
would call curries. Here are a few chicken ones: Chicken Korma, Chicken
Balti, Chicken Madras, Chicken Dhansak, Chicken Masala, Chicken Pasanda.

I agree that the best "curries" don't use curry powder and, in addition
to Madhur Jaffrey, I'd suggest Julie Sahni. If there is a *good* Indian
buffet available, that might allow a sampling of different Indian
dishes. I am fortunate that the Minerva buffet is just a few miles away.
I'd also add to what others have said about "curry leaves"; they don't
make a curry but there are are a number of Indian recipes using them
that are very good.

I have mentioned before that I have seen very large cans of Bolst's
Curry powder in my favorite Indian supermarket. I can't imagine a
Westerner ever using a pound can.

Here's David Smith's recipe for a basic curry sauce without "curry
powder". I think he misses out one thing; a characteristic flavor is
given by fenugreek seeds.

Ingredients

* 3 tab vegetable oil or ghee (can be reduced)
* 1 medium onion - finely chopped
* 4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
* 1.5 inch piece root ginger - peeled and thinly sliced (it should look
about the same volume as the garlic)
* (optional) 2 mild fleshy green chilies, jalapenos, say,
- de-seeded and veined then chopped
* 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
* 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
* 5 tab tomato purée or 1 tab concentrated paste mixed with 4 tab water

Method
1. Heat the oil in a heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a
few minutes with the heat on high.
2. Add the ginger, garlic and green chili (if using). Stir for 30
seconds then put the heat down to very low.
3. Cook for 15 minutes stirring from time to time making sure nothing
browns or burns.
4. Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, still very gently,
for a further 5 minutes. Don't burn the spices or the sauce will taste
horrid - sprinkle on a few drops of water if you're worried.
5. Take off the heat and cool a little. Put 4 fl oz cold water in a
blender, add the contents of the pan and whiz until very smooth. Add the
tomato puree and stir.
6. Put the puréed mixture back into the pan and cook for 20 - 30 minutes
(the longer the better) over very low heat stirring occasionally. You
can add a little hot water if it starts to catch on the pan but the idea
is to gently "fry" the sauce, which will darken in colour to an orangy
brown. The final texture should be something like good tomato ketchup.
Warning - it WILL gloop occasionally and splatter over your cooker, it's
the price you have to pay!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > writes:

> I have mentioned before that I have seen very large cans of Bolst's
> Curry powder in my favorite Indian supermarket. I can't imagine a
> Westerner ever using a pound can.

I've used multiple 8-ounce cans over my life (not Bolst's specifically;
I think it was Sun brand Madras curry). But yeah, it's getting a bit
old by the end.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Mar, 22:50, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:20:15 -0500, John Kuthe <JohnKu...@ gmail.com>
> ha scritto:
>

> > On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:44:04 GMT, "l, non-l" <lal...@ cujo.com> ha scritto:

> E alcuni >> desidera solo un flirt occasionale. Non voglio un armadio pieno di
> >> Spezie stantii per un piatto di curry occasionali. Io di solito acquisto del marchio e Rajah
> >> Mantenere qualsiasi porzione inutilizzata nel congelatore per la prossima volta.

> > Che mi diverte sempre, quando la gente dice "spezie stantio". Voi siete
> > Riferendosi alle spezie essiccate, giusto? Poi, per definizione, sono
> > GiÃ* stantio!

> > Ci sono spezie fresche (come mi metterò quando le piante di basilico I
> > Piantato la scorsa settimana diventano più grandi) e ci sono secche o "stale" spezie.
> > Spezie di essiccazione è stato inventato come un modo per preservare gli aromi in una spezia
> > Senza farlo ammuffire e viziati.

> > John Kuthe ...

> Il basilico è una pianta, non una spezia.
> State discutendo erbe o spezie? Non è chiaro.
> E 'il punto che le spezie non diventare stantio? Oppure, una volta che le spezie
> sono asciugati il €‹€‹loro profilo sapore non cambia mai?
> Janet Stati Uniti

Flavour change if they become old...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:32:20 -0700 (PDT), Pandora >
wrote:

>On 21 Mar, 22:50, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:20:15 -0500, John Kuthe <JohnKu...@ gmail.com>
>> ha scritto:
>>

>> > On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:44:04 GMT, "l, non-l" <lal...@ cujo.com> ha scritto:

>> E alcuni >> desidera solo un flirt occasionale. Non voglio un armadio pieno di

>> > Che mi diverte sempre, quando la gente dice "spezie stantio". Voi siete
>> > Riferendosi alle spezie essiccate, giusto? Poi, per definizione, sono
>> > Già stantio!

>> > Ci sono spezie fresche (come mi metterò quando le piante di basilico I
>> > Piantato la scorsa settimana diventano più grandi) e ci sono secche o "stale" spezie.
>> > Spezie di essiccazione è stato inventato come un modo per preservare gli aromi in una spezia
>> > Senza farlo ammuffire e viziati.

>> > John Kuthe ...

>> Il basilico è una pianta, non una spezia.
>> State discutendo erbe o spezie? Non è chiaro.
>> E 'il punto che le spezie non diventare stantio? Oppure, una volta che le spezie
>> sono asciugati il ??loro profilo sapore non cambia mai?
>> Janet Stati Uniti

>Flavour change if they become old...

Agreed. It is not simply that the flavor becomes less but that the
flavor also changes.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

> The name "curry" means "soup or sauce" in India.

I think Indians would have a problem with this simplification.

A repost:
There is really no such thing as "Indian curry", except perhaps in the
quaint western notion of a highly-spiced stew-type dish vaguely "Indian"
in concept and execution. There is no such notion in India, at least
not any that would be commonly accepted. There is no pan-Indian food of
any kind, but in the case of "curry" this has to be particularly
stressed. To understand why, read these old threads, with some of the
sadly departed - and sorely missed, by myself, at least - rfc Indians
discussing "curry":

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thread/4f1ba15637d01859>.

<http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=56ka01%24p88%40styx.ios.com>

Victor