Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now Defunct Restaurants

It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. They'd
recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.

The Knickerbocker
Anderton's
Pete & Sams
Buntyn's Cafe
Pappy & Jimmy's
Britlings Cafeteria

99th Bomb Group by the airport
The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:59:00 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. They'd
>recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.
>
>The Knickerbocker
>Anderton's
>Pete & Sams
>Buntyn's Cafe
>Pappy & Jimmy's
>Britlings Cafeteria
>
>99th Bomb Group by the airport
>The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)
>
>Jill

Did anyone ever figure out if that old queen Michael is alive? I heard
she croaked, and that Wayne went belly up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Snoodles McGrew" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:59:00 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. They'd
>>recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.
>>
>>The Knickerbocker
>>Anderton's
>>Pete & Sams
>>Buntyn's Cafe
>>Pappy & Jimmy's
>>Britlings Cafeteria
>>
>>99th Bomb Group by the airport
>>The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)
>>
>>Jill

> Did anyone ever figure out if that old queen Michael is alive? I heard
> she croaked, and that Wayne went belly up.

Don't be crude. It's people like you who drove the original posters away.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:44:21 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "Snoodles McGrew" > wrote in message
> >
> > Did anyone ever figure out if that old queen Michael is alive? I heard
> > she croaked, and that Wayne went belly up.
> >

> Don't be crude. It's people like you who drove the original posters away.

"Snoodles" is too big a chicken to say something like that as his/her
normal "personality", if s/he has one.

<arms bent at elbow, flapping them like wings, strutting in a circle
and making chicken sounds at "Snoodles the coward">
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 8:59*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. *They'd
> recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.
>
> The Knickerbocker...

> 99th Bomb Group by the airport

The name sounded familiar, and it turns out it was part of the "94th
Aero Squadron" group, known more formally as Specialty Restaurants.
There are a couple of dozen left in the chain, though only a few are
aviation-themed. www.specialtyrestaurants.com

The claim is that an outbreak of salmonella killed the 99th Bomb
Group's business. After trying to make a go of it for several years,
the restaurant operator simply closed up shop, and eventually the
airport sued:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tn-court-...s/1300412.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
> On Jan 16, 8:59 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore.
>> They'd
>> recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.
>>
>> The Knickerbocker...

>> 99th Bomb Group by the airport

> The name sounded familiar, and it turns out it was part of the "94th
> Aero Squadron" group, known more formally as Specialty Restaurants.
> There are a couple of dozen left in the chain, though only a few are
> aviation-themed. www.specialtyrestaurants.com
>
> The claim is that an outbreak of salmonella killed the 99th Bomb
> Group's business. After trying to make a go of it for several years,
> the restaurant operator simply closed up shop, and eventually the
> airport sued:
>
> http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tn-court-...s/1300412.html

Actually, we're both wrong. It was the 91st Bomb Group. They actually had
good food. They had an arrangement with the airport to let them listen in
on the air traffic controller's chatter with the planes via headphones at
the tables. It's where I first tasted beer-cheese soup. I'll bet if I
googled I could find the recipe.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill fed the troll:

>> Did anyone ever figure out if that old queen Michael is alive? I heard
>> she croaked, and that Wayne went belly up.

> Don't be crude. It's people like you who drove the original posters away.

In any case, Michael and Wayne are both on the RFC Facebook group. Michael's
a middling-frequent poster; Wayne hardly ever posts, but I think he's busy
squaring away his housing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

arranged random neurons and said:

>It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. They'd
>recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.
>
>The Knickerbocker
>Anderton's
>Pete & Sams
>Buntyn's Cafe
>Pappy & Jimmy's
>Britlings Cafeteria
>
>99th Bomb Group by the airport
>The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)

99th Bomb Group, really??

Another one for your list (IIR the name correctly) was Aga Khan
(Ghengis Khan?). I loved that place.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:59:00 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. They'd
>>recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.
>>
>>The Knickerbocker
>>Anderton's
>>Pete & Sams
>>Buntyn's Cafe
>>Pappy & Jimmy's
>>Britlings Cafeteria
>>
>>99th Bomb Group by the airport
>>The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)

> 99th Bomb Group, really??

Sorry! 91st Bomb Group. Next to the airport. Wonderful beer cheese soup.
We'd sometimes make the drive there for lunch... extending the lunch hour by
about 30 minutes

> Another one for your list (IIR the name correctly) was Aga Khan
> (Ghengis Khan?). I loved that place.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --

Hmmm, I don't remember that one. I remember going to Picadilly's cafeteria
in Germantown with co-workers. I used to hate cafeterias; they reminded me
too much of school. I vaguely remember The Hungry Fisherman or Catfish
Cabin.

What about The Shanti (a miniscule steak house) with seating for maybe 8
people? Mis-matched plates, and you ate at a picnic table inside a tiny
shack. It was across the street from putt putt golf. They did have great
steaks, though. They screwed up their business plan and went belly up after
moving to a strip mall to open a larger restaurant. The same thing happened
to Buntyn's when they moved from the original location on Southern to a
strip mall.

What about the Luau? Tiki torches and totem poles in the parking lot.
Slighty down the street from East High School. I never ate there but it was
fun to see driving by. What about the Four Flames in midtown?

There was a great restaurant in Bartlett, TN called The Side Porch. When I
was in my 20's my mother and I used to go shopping then go to The Side Porch
for lunch. They served liver & onions. Mom loved liver & onions. When I
went back to move I took John there on what turned out to be their last day
the restaurant was open. Another good restaurant gone by the wayside. It's
a difficult busness.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 6:08*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in messagenews:ukdfh7167peisaog94860rgl9oo177r00n@4ax .com...
>

> > On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:59:00 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> > arranged random neurons and said:

> >>It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. *They'd
> >>recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.

> >>The Knickerbocker
> >>Anderton's
> >>Pete & Sams
> >>Buntyn's Cafe
> >>Pappy & Jimmy's
> >>Britlings Cafeteria

> >>99th Bomb Group by the airport
> >>The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)

> > 99th Bomb Group, really??

> Sorry! *91st Bomb Group. *Next to the airport. *Wonderful beer cheese soup.
> We'd sometimes make the drive there for lunch... extending the lunch hour by
> about 30 minutes
>
> > Another one for your list (IIR the name correctly) was Aga Khan
> > (Ghengis Khan?). I loved that place.

> Hmmm, I don't remember that one. *I remember going to Picadilly's cafeteria
> in Germantown with co-workers. *I used to hate cafeterias; they reminded me
> too much of school.

Cafeterias seem to be enduringly popular in the south for some reason.
(Freestanding ones, not part of any institution.) Curious after seeing
an ad for Picadilly's on some nostalgia TV network, I found the
northernmost one was near St. Louis. (Odder still, all Picadilly's
outlets were in former slave states.) The one that sticks in my mind
is Luby's, because of the Texas massacre at one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2012 11:23 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:59:00 -0500, >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>> It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. They'd
>> recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.
>>
>> The Knickerbocker
>> Anderton's
>> Pete& Sams
>> Buntyn's Cafe
>> Pappy& Jimmy's
>> Britlings Cafeteria
>>
>> 99th Bomb Group by the airport
>> The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)

> 99th Bomb Group, really??
>
> Another one for your list (IIR the name correctly) was Aga Khan

There was a chain called something like 94th AeroSquadron that located
as close as possible to airport runways. Denver's old airport had one
and there was one near one of the regional airports in San Diego.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 9:09*am, gloria p > wrote:
> On 1/18/2012 11:23 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:59:00 -0500, >
> > arranged random neurons and said:

> >> It's too bad Wayne and Michael (Dog3) aren't posting here anymore. *They'd
> >> recognize some of these old Memphis restaurants.

> >> The Knickerbocker
> >> Anderton's
> >> Pete& *Sams
> >> Buntyn's Cafe
> >> Pappy& *Jimmy's
> >> Britlings Cafeteria

> >> 99th Bomb Group by the airport
> >> The Belmont Grill (made a really good Monte Cristo sandwich!)

> > 99th Bomb Group, really??

> > Another one for your list (IIR the name correctly) was Aga Khan

> There was a chain called something like 94th AeroSquadron that located
> as close as possible to airport runways. Denver's old airport had one
> and there was one near one of the regional airports in San Diego.

There are still "squadron" restaurants at Miami, Cleveland, Van Nuys,
and Farmingdale NY, according to their website:

http://www.specialtyrestaurants.com/...staurants.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
> On Jan 19, 6:08 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in
>> messagenews:ukdfh7167peisaog94860rgl9oo177r00n@4ax .com...

>> > 99th Bomb Group, really??

>> Sorry! 91st Bomb Group. Next to the airport. Wonderful beer cheese
>> soup.
>> We'd sometimes make the drive there for lunch... extending the lunch hour
>> by
>> about 30 minutes
>>
>> > Another one for your list (IIR the name correctly) was Aga Khan
>> > (Ghengis Khan?). I loved that place.

>> Hmmm, I don't remember that one. I remember going to Picadilly's
>> cafeteria
>> in Germantown with co-workers. I used to hate cafeterias; they reminded
>> me
>> too much of school.

> Cafeterias seem to be enduringly popular in the south for some reason.
> (Freestanding ones, not part of any institution.) Curious after seeing
> an ad for Picadilly's on some nostalgia TV network, I found the
> northernmost one was near St. Louis. (Odder still, all Picadilly's
> outlets were in former slave states.) The one that sticks in my mind
> is Luby's, because of the Texas massacre at one.

Massacres aside, I was never a very big fan of cafeterias (Picadilly's,
Luby's and I'm pretty sure there was a third one for a little while). They
remind me too much of school. Sliding a tray down a metal railing telling
the lunch ladies what you'd like. Of course they're wearing plastic gloves
because that's what lunch ladies l do. And they wear hairnets (or in some
cases shower-cap type hats). And long aprons. That makes me wonder what
sort of illness these cafeteria workers might have since they practically
don hazmat suits to serve food through a slot covered by a sneezeguard.
LOLOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:14:53 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> arranged random neurons and said:

>Cafeterias seem to be enduringly popular in the south for some reason.
>(Freestanding ones, not part of any institution.) Curious after seeing
>an ad for Picadilly's on some nostalgia TV network, I found the
>northernmost one was near St. Louis. (Odder still, all Picadilly's
>outlets were in former slave states.) The one that sticks in my mind
>is Luby's, because of the Texas massacre at one.

The Golden Corral seems to be a popular cafeteria sort of place.
Bill's uncle took us to one in Florida and it was packed. Ordinarily,
I wouldn't go near a buffet type joint, but his uncle loves the place.
There are a LOT of them in SoCal and their parking lots are usually
full.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> The Golden Corral seems to be a popular cafeteria sort of place.
> Bill's uncle took us to one in Florida and it was packed. Ordinarily,
> I wouldn't go near a buffet type joint, but his uncle loves the place.
> There are a LOT of them in SoCal and their parking lots are usually
> full.

I rarely go to restaurants but Golden Corral is about my favorite. Price is
right, food is good with a good variety of offerings, casual family
atmosphere. At least around here, go on Friday/Saturday nights and a good
selection of seafood items too.

I prefer the buffet style restaurants.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:

>I rarely go to restaurants but Golden Corral is about my favorite. Price is
>right, food is good with a good variety of offerings, casual family
>atmosphere. At least around here, go on Friday/Saturday nights and a good
>selection of seafood items too.
>
>I prefer the buffet style restaurants.
>
>Gary

Golden Corral seems to be popular in mid west/bible belt farm country;
Dakotas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska.... billboards start from fifty miles
away, All You Can Eat-$5! I stopped at a Golden Corral once on a
cross country drive, food was good, but you should see the size of
those peeps, guys made The Cable Guy look like a Biafra victim, wimmen
with asses what couldn't sit a John Deere Combine! I lost count how
many times they went for refills. Musta been a Sunday, all wore their
best go to church bib overalls. At $5 I don't know how they stayed in
business.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Gary > wrote:
> >
> >I rarely go to restaurants but Golden Corral is about my favorite. Price is
> >right, food is good with a good variety of offerings, casual family
> >atmosphere. At least around here, go on Friday/Saturday nights and a good
> >selection of seafood items too.
> >
> >I prefer the buffet style restaurants.
> >
> >Gary

> Golden Corral seems to be popular in mid west/bible belt farm country;
> Dakotas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska.... billboards start from fifty miles
> away, All You Can Eat-$5! I stopped at a Golden Corral once on a
> cross country drive, food was good, but you should see the size of
> those peeps, guys made The Cable Guy look like a Biafra victim, wimmen
> with asses what couldn't sit a John Deere Combine! I lost count how
> many times they went for refills. Musta been a Sunday, all wore their
> best go to church bib overalls. At $5 I don't know how they stayed in
> business.

LOL!