Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery Store Score - Thanks Computer!

I went to Publix for my monthly stocking-up run and was at the checkout. I
had about seven items left for the checker to scan when the computer locked
up. She called the manager over. He recycled the modem... nothing. She
still couldn't scan anything. Then she exclaimed, "Now it says it's
processing her credit card!" I said wryly, "I haven't swiped my card yet."
(And what if I'd wanted to pay by check or cash, hmmmm?) The manager said
go ahead and swipe your card. I did and it processed right on through. But
the computer was still locked up so she couldn't start a second transaction
for the rest of my items. The manager said cheerfully, "Looks like the rest
of your groceries are on Publix today." It was about $18 worth of stuff,
tax free. Score!

OB Food: I prepared the batter for Oven Ready Bran Muffins (from the back
of the Hodgson's Mill wheat bran box; I've posted the recipe previously at
least twice). They're very tasty... not like you think ewwww, bran muffins!
LOL But what I really love is the fact you can store the batter, tightly
covered, in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks. You just bake as many, or
as few, muffins as you'd like at a time. I'll be baking about 6 muffins in
the morning - no point heating the oven just for two muffins. I'll have a
couple with my coffee - or tea, as the mood strikes

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> The manager said
>> go ahead and swipe your card. I did and it processed right on
>> through. But the computer was still locked up so she couldn't start a
>> second transaction for the rest of my items. The manager said
>> cheerfully, "Looks like the rest of your groceries are on Publix
>> today." It was about $18 worth of stuff, tax free. Score!

> That's a welcome surprise but just in case, check your credit card or
> bank card statement and make sure you weren't double charged. Happened
> to me once at the supermarket. It was a computer glitch too.

Thanks, Andy. I don't toss out grocery store receipts. I watch the items
on the display as they are scanned to make sure I'm getting the sale prices
as listed. Then I look over the receipt before I leave the store. I was
there well before the 2PM bank posting time so I can verify it with the bank
online (and can always dispute it, since I have the receipt). I'm pretty
sure they didn't double-charge me. Naturally it's a good thing to be
careful about.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I went to Publix for my monthly stocking-up run and was at the
> checkout. I had about seven items left for the checker to scan when
> the computer locked up. She called the manager over. He recycled the
> modem... nothing. She still couldn't scan anything. Then she
> exclaimed, "Now it says it's processing her credit card!" I said
> wryly, "I haven't swiped my card yet." (And what if I'd wanted to pay
> by check or cash, hmmmm?) The manager said go ahead and swipe your
> card. I did and it processed right on through. But the computer was
> still locked up so she couldn't start a second transaction for the
> rest of my items. The manager said cheerfully, "Looks like the rest
> of your groceries are on Publix today." It was about $18 worth of
> stuff, tax free. Score!
>
> OB Food: I prepared the batter for Oven Ready Bran Muffins (from the
> back of the Hodgson's Mill wheat bran box; I've posted the recipe
> previously at least twice). They're very tasty... not like you think
> ewwww, bran muffins! LOL But what I really love is the fact you can
> store the batter, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for about 3
> weeks. You just bake as many, or as few, muffins as you'd like at a
> time. I'll be baking about 6 muffins in the morning - no point
> heating the oven just for two muffins. I'll have a couple with my
> coffee - or tea, as the mood strikes
>
> Jill

Tax free? I don't get it. It was FREE, right? Sales tax of any amount
is 0 on 0...

Good to see $18 made your day!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

L G > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I went to Publix for my monthly stocking-up run and was at the >
>> checkout. I had about seven items left for the checker to scan when >
>> the computer locked up. She called the manager over. He recycled the >
>> modem... nothing. She still couldn't scan anything. Then she >
>> exclaimed, "Now it says it's processing her credit card!" I said >
>> wryly, "I haven't swiped my card yet." (And what if I'd wanted to pay >
>> by check or cash, hmmmm?) The manager said go ahead and swipe your >
>> card. I did and it processed right on through. But the computer was >
>> still locked up so she couldn't start a second transaction for the >
>> rest of my items. The manager said cheerfully, "Looks like the rest >
>> of your groceries are on Publix today." It was about $18 worth of >
>> stuff, tax free. Score!
>>
>> OB Food: I prepared the batter for Oven Ready Bran Muffins (from the >
>> back of the Hodgson's Mill wheat bran box; I've posted the recipe >
>> previously at least twice). They're very tasty... not like you think >
>> ewwww, bran muffins! LOL But what I really love is the fact you can >
>> store the batter, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for about 3 >
>> weeks. You just bake as many, or as few, muffins as you'd like at a >
>> time. I'll be baking about 6 muffins in the morning - no point >
>> heating the oven just for two muffins. I'll have a couple with my >
>> coffee - or tea, as the mood strikes
>>
>> Jill

> Tax free? I don't get it. It was FREE, right? Sales tax of any amount is 0 on 0...
>
> Good to see $18 made your day!

No taxes on food here in Michigan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:55:35 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

> No taxes on food here in Michigan.

When did they stop taxing food in Michigan?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> wrote:

>> No taxes on food here in Michigan.

>When did they stop taxing food in Michigan?

Detroit, Detroit! My kinda town!

s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 00:18:18 -0600, BlueBrooke
> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:01:36 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:55:35 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> > wrote:
> >
> >> No taxes on food here in Michigan.

> >When did they stop taxing food in Michigan?

> A long time ago, apparently. If before 1991 is "a long time ago."
>
> http://www.michigan.gov/treasury/0,1...7286--,00.html

1991 is practically yesterday. I left Michigan long before that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:
> sf > wrote:
>
>> > wrote:

>>> No taxes on food here in Michigan.

>> When did they stop taxing food in Michigan?

> Detroit, Detroit! My kinda town!
>

> s.

Detroit.... Is a burned out, crime ridden, filthy third world place to
avoid!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:55:35 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> > wrote:
>
>> No taxes on food here in Michigan.

> When did they stop taxing food in Michigan?

At least thirty years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 11:54*am, Andy > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > The manager said
> > go ahead and swipe your card. *I did and it processed right on
> > through. *But the computer was still locked up so she couldn't start a
> > second transaction for the rest of my items. *The manager said
> > cheerfully, "Looks like the rest of your groceries are on Publix
> > today." *It was about $18 worth of stuff, tax free. *Score!

> Jill,
>
> That's a welcome surprise but just in case, check your credit card or
> bank card statement and make sure you weren't double charged. Happened
> to me once at the supermarket. It was a computer glitch too.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Everything happens to you at the supermarket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 12:25*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Jan 19, 11:54*am, Andy > wrote:
>

> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > > The manager said
> > > go ahead and swipe your card. *I did and it processed right on
> > > through. *But the computer was still locked up so she couldn't start a
> > > second transaction for the rest of my items. *The manager said
> > > cheerfully, "Looks like the rest of your groceries are on Publix
> > > today." *It was about $18 worth of stuff, tax free. *Score!

> > Jill,

> > That's a welcome surprise but just in case, check your credit card or
> > bank card statement and make sure you weren't double charged. Happened
> > to me once at the supermarket. It was a computer glitch too.

> > Best,

> > Andy

> Everything happens to you at the supermarket.

And he gives himself a lotta lovin' in the supermarket restroom, right
after flirting with the checkers.
Gotta get it while it's hot.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I went to Publix for my monthly stocking-up run and was at the checkout. I
> had about seven items left for the checker to scan when the computer locked
> up. She called the manager over. He recycled the modem... nothing. She
> still couldn't scan anything. Then she exclaimed, "Now it says it's
> processing her credit card!" I said wryly, "I haven't swiped my card yet."
> (And what if I'd wanted to pay by check or cash, hmmmm?) The manager said
> go ahead and swipe your card. I did and it processed right on through. But
> the computer was still locked up so she couldn't start a second transaction
> for the rest of my items. The manager said cheerfully, "Looks like the rest
> of your groceries are on Publix today." It was about $18 worth of stuff,
> tax free. Score!

> Jill

Okay, here's my story: Last day of the week's sale items, I shopped and
purchased ‹ maybe three or four BOGOs and TaB was on sale. I did the
self-checkout thing and scanned the goods and the coupons for the BOGOs.
When I scan I watch the screen to see that everything registers. It
did. My bill was $88, which I thought was pretty high but then again I
had a couple of expensive things. <shrug> I didn't check the receipt ‹
shoot me.

Five days later I was gathering paper bits and looked at the receipt
before I was going to toss it. I noticed the TaB ‹ 3 packs at regular
price, no sign of coupon reduction. WTF? Same thing with two other
items. And, better than that, I was NOT charged for two jars of salad
dressing (also on a BOGO) although I had scanned the jars and the
coupon. That was about the damnedest thing I've seen. At the bottom
of the receipt the info included a line saying how much I'd saved ‹
$1.30. Should've been WAY more than that.

I took it to the service counter, 'splained it and left with the $16
that should have been credited to my receipt. They weren't interested
in charging me for the jars of salad dressing. That was the oddest part
of the checkout transaction because if I scanned it but didn't put it on
the belt, the machine would have talked to me; and if I *hadn't* scanned
it but put it on the belt the machine would have talked to me. Neither
of those things happened: I scanned and put them on the belt. The
charge showed on the screen but not on the receipt.

Found out in the correction process that they'd been having problems
with that scanner a couple other days during the week but thought it had
been fixed. Not so much.

What caught my eye that led me to check closer was the TaB ‹ I never buy
more than one pack at regular price and I'd bought three because they
were on sale.

We now return to our regular scheduled programming.

OB Cooking: Baked chicken wings (with barbecue sauce for Himself,
Frank's hot sauce on mine) for dinner, green beans with musgovian bacon,
diced and browned.
--
Barb
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100375