Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Laser digital thermometer

Ten points will be subtracted from the score of the first person who says
we've discussed this before. @#$! If you did, I missed it and I need help.
The key ingredient to my praline recipe that I've used for at least 50
years is Jell-o (cook) butterscotch pudding. It is just not available here.
I need to get the pralines made and shipped. Now!
I tried another recipe. It seemed to me that the cooking time wasn't
quite long enough. There is a split second or less between just right and
brick. I'm thinking a laser digital thermometer would be a super nice
Christmas gift (from me to me).
Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Ten points will be subtracted from the score of the first person who says
>> we've discussed this before. @#$! If you did, I missed it and I need
>> help.
>> The key ingredient to my praline recipe that I've used for at least
>> 50
>> years is Jell-o (cook) butterscotch pudding. It is just not available
>> here.
>> I need to get the pralines made and shipped. Now!
>> I tried another recipe. It seemed to me that the cooking time wasn't
>> quite long enough. There is a split second or less between just right
>> and
>> brick. I'm thinking a laser digital thermometer would be a super nice
>> Christmas gift (from me to me).
>> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
>> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
>> Polly

> This was discussed here recently (-10 cha-CHING!). Somebody, I think
> Jim Elbrect, did an in-depth analysis using fudge as an example. The
> conclusion was that is just to much convection going on in there to
> get an accurate and useful reading using a non-contact thermometer.
>
> Yes, it was Jim.
> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_thread/thread/6834a0fde2aa1ad6/d0a16f2cf4f433bf>
>
> -sw (+11 cha-Ching!)

thanks for taking the -10 point hit for the group. Now us cowards can come
forth.

reading that thread, there seemed to be plenty of votes in favor of an IR
thermometer for candy making. My experience is only with chocolate, which
is not too hot and well stirred, and panforte where the sugar and honey was
brought to the soft ball stage (240 degrees), although this may not the most
critical of candy making examples. I suppose the key is how well you are
stirring and how critical the measurement need be for the specific recipe.

I bought the cheapest one I could find on e-bay, which is a small one
without a pistol shape, mainly so I could carry it with me easily when I
wanted to use it elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Ten points will be subtracted from the score of the first person who says
>> we've discussed this before. @#$! If you did, I missed it and I need
>> help.
>> The key ingredient to my praline recipe that I've used for at least
>> 50
>> years is Jell-o (cook) butterscotch pudding. It is just not available
>> here.
>> I need to get the pralines made and shipped. Now!
>> I tried another recipe. It seemed to me that the cooking time wasn't
>> quite long enough. There is a split second or less between just right
>> and
>> brick. I'm thinking a laser digital thermometer would be a super nice
>> Christmas gift (from me to me).
>> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
>> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
>> Polly

> This was discussed here recently (-10 cha-CHING!). Somebody, I think
> Jim Elbrect, did an in-depth analysis using fudge as an example. The
> conclusion was that is just to much convection going on in there to
> get an accurate and useful reading using a non-contact thermometer.
>
> Yes, it was Jim.
> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_thread/thread/6834a0fde2aa1ad6/d0a16f2cf4f433bf>
>
> -sw (+11 cha-Ching!)

Well now. See? That was back in July. Sometimes I don't remember
breakfast. And . . . it wasn't as terribly important as it is now. The new
recipe says to cook on Hi for 13 minutes. I tried 8 level. That's not
quite enough. I just am afraid that 13 min. on full power would permanently
bond the candy to the bowl. I believe these will 'set' overnight. And
yes, sw. You get a +11 on your score. Well done. I hope the pralines are.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:55:26 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Well now. See? That was back in July. Sometimes I don't remember
>> breakfast. And . . . it wasn't as terribly important as it is now. The
>> new
>> recipe says to cook on Hi for 13 minutes. I tried 8 level. That's not
>> quite enough. I just am afraid that 13 min. on full power would
>> permanently
>> bond the candy to the bowl. I believe these will 'set' overnight. And
>> yes, sw. You get a +11 on your score. Well done. I hope the pralines
>> are.
>> Polly

> I was just shooting for -10 + 11 = +1
>
> You'll regret +11, Just keep me at 0 :-)
>
> -sw

we all do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
>> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
>> Polly

> I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
> dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
> model will have to wait.
>
> --

e-bay: $13.93

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" wrote:
>"sf" wrote:
>> "Polly Esther" wrote:
>>
>>> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
>>> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?

>> I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
>> dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
>> model will have to wait.

>e-bay: $13.93

This is more suitable for yoose three... sf better tie a string on
hers lest it don't fall in.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-c...ermometer.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 09:49:00 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>"Pico Rico" wrote:

>>> I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
>>> dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
>>> model will have to wait.

>>e-bay: $13.93

>This is more suitable for yoose three... sf better tie a string on
>hers lest it [don't] fall in.
>
>http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-c...ermometer.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 06:15:02 -0800, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
> >> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
> >> Polly

> > I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
> > dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
> > model will have to wait.
> >
> > --

> e-bay: $13.93

That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Ten points will be subtracted from the score of the first person who says
>we've discussed this before. @#$! If you did, I missed it and I need help.
> The key ingredient to my praline recipe that I've used for at least 50
>years is Jell-o (cook) butterscotch pudding. It is just not available here.
>I need to get the pralines made and shipped. Now!
> I tried another recipe. It seemed to me that the cooking time wasn't
>quite long enough. There is a split second or less between just right and
>brick. I'm thinking a laser digital thermometer would be a super nice
>Christmas gift (from me to me).
> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
>making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

Check Harbor Freight if you have one close by. I don't know what
shipping would be if you had to mail order.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 06:15:02 -0800, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"

>> > I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
>> > dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
>> > model will have to wait.
>> >
>> > --

>> e-bay: $13.93
>>

> That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
> Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.

I'll let you know. I have had a "non-pistol" version from HK on ebay for a
year, and it is just fine. The electronics all come from the same place,
and it doesn't take much to slap them together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

H/F has a good web presenc e and sometimes offers free shipping, Lee
"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>>Ten points will be subtracted from the score of the first person who says
>>we've discussed this before. @#$! If you did, I missed it and I need
>>help.
>> The key ingredient to my praline recipe that I've used for at least 50
>>years is Jell-o (cook) butterscotch pudding. It is just not available
>>here.
>>I need to get the pralines made and shipped. Now!
>> I tried another recipe. It seemed to me that the cooking time wasn't
>>quite long enough. There is a split second or less between just right and
>>brick. I'm thinking a laser digital thermometer would be a super nice
>>Christmas gift (from me to me).
>> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
>>making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

> Check Harbor Freight if you have one close by. I don't know what
> shipping would be if you had to mail order.
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:13:07 -0800, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 06:15:02 -0800, "Pico Rico" >
> > wrote:

> >> e-bay: $13.93
> >>

> > That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
> > Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.
> >

> I'll let you know. I have had a "non-pistol" version from HK on ebay for a
> year, and it is just fine. The electronics all come from the same place,
> and it doesn't take much to slap them together.

You're going for it? Let me know because that's the kind of deal
that's hard to pass up. A fool and his money....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:13:07 -0800, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
>> > Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.
>> >

>> I'll let you know. I have had a "non-pistol" version from HK on ebay for
>> year, and it is just fine. The electronics all come from the same place,
>> and it doesn't take much to slap them together.
>>

> You're going for it? Let me know because that's the kind of deal
> that's hard to pass up. A fool and his money....

there are many of these deals on e-bay. and, as I said, I have bought a
similar IR thermometer before and it is fine.

I'll check it out and if ok sell it to you for $80-$100, ok?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
>> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

> I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
> dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
> model will have to wait.

Harbor freight usually has some cheap ones.
The laser is not required. A near field wide angle sensor is likely to give
better readings. Reflective surfaces can alter the reading.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:57:14 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
> >> making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

> > I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
> > dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
> > model will have to wait.

> Harbor freight usually has some cheap ones.
> The laser is not required. A near field wide angle sensor is likely to give
> better readings. Reflective surfaces can alter the reading.

Sorry, I don't see how something that's used to measure rpm can tell
the temperature too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" <> wrote in message > H/F has a good web presenc e and sometimes
offers free shipping, Lee
I went over to H/F and looked around seeing what was available and read some
of the reviews. Shirley Corriher in CookWise says that a praline recipe
that includes corn syrup needs to go to 240 degrees. The thermometer
reviews wail that some of them are off by as much as 6 degrees. That may
explain why only two of my four praline cooking sessions came out perfectly.
The two failures made me want to go hang my harp on a willow tree. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" <> wrote in message > H/F has a good web presenc e and
> sometimes offers free shipping, Lee
> I went over to H/F and looked around seeing what was available and read
> some of the reviews. Shirley Corriher in CookWise says that a praline
> recipe that includes corn syrup needs to go to 240 degrees. The
> thermometer reviews wail that some of them are off by as much as 6
> degrees. That may explain why only two of my four praline cooking
> sessions came out perfectly. The two failures made me want to go hang my
> harp on a willow tree. Polly

you are supposed to understand what the soft ball stage is, not just blindly
use a thermometer. Any thermometer has an accuracy and a tolerance.
Calibrate your thermometer. And the soft ball stage is not one precise
temperature, it is a range within which you are supposed to be watching
sugar behavior.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i think this is one of those purchases that will take serious research and
probably serious money, best of luck, Lee
"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" <> wrote in message > H/F has a good web presenc e and
> sometimes offers free shipping, Lee
> I went over to H/F and looked around seeing what was available and read
> some of the reviews. Shirley Corriher in CookWise says that a praline
> recipe that includes corn syrup needs to go to 240 degrees. The
> thermometer reviews wail that some of them are off by as much as 6
> degrees. That may explain why only two of my four praline cooking
> sessions came out perfectly. The two failures made me want to go hang my
> harp on a willow tree. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:14:12 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> you are supposed to understand what the soft ball stage is, not just blindly
> use a thermometer. Any thermometer has an accuracy and a tolerance.
> Calibrate your thermometer. And the soft ball stage is not one precise
> temperature, it is a range within which you are supposed to be watching
> sugar behavior.

I bought a probe thermometer last week with the intention of using it
for roast beast, but now I have to read the instructions to see if I
can use it for candy making too. My horizons are widening!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>
>> you are supposed to understand what the soft ball stage is, not just
>> blindly
>> use a thermometer.

> I bought a probe thermometer last week with the intention of using it
> for roast beast, but now I have to read the instructions to see if I
> can use it for candy making too. My horizons are widening!

I do, but I don't leave it in the pot like a glass one. I stick it in for a
few swconds as it approaches the right stage. I also use it for making
pouring custard or pastry cream. When it reaches 170F it's perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:10:29 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> , "Pico Rico"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> you are supposed to understand what the soft ball stage is, not just
> >> blindly
> >> use a thermometer.

> > I bought a probe thermometer last week with the intention of using it
> > for roast beast, but now I have to read the instructions to see if I
> > can use it for candy making too. My horizons are widening!

> I do, but I don't leave it in the pot like a glass one. I stick it in for a
> few swconds as it approaches the right stage. I also use it for making
> pouring custard or pastry cream. When it reaches 170F it's perfect.

Thanks, Giusi! I wasn't planning to leave it in the pot, but it's
nice to know that's how someone with experience does it too.

I should make a list. What are some of your temps? I think someone
told me a couple of years ago to take bread out at 190 or 195° (but I
don't remember which).