Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Laser digital thermometer

Ten points will be subtracted from the score of the first person who says
we've discussed this before. @#$! If you did, I missed it and I need help.
The key ingredient to my praline recipe that I've used for at least 50
years is Jell-o (cook) butterscotch pudding. It is just not available here.
I need to get the pralines made and shipped. Now!
I tried another recipe. It seemed to me that the cooking time wasn't
quite long enough. There is a split second or less between just right and
brick. I'm thinking a laser digital thermometer would be a super nice
Christmas gift (from me to me).
Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:06:27 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

This was discussed here recently (-10 cha-CHING!). Somebody, I think
Jim Elbrect, did an in-depth analysis using fudge as an example. The
conclusion was that is just to much convection going on in there to
get an accurate and useful reading using a non-contact thermometer.

Yes, it was Jim.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_thread/thread/6834a0fde2aa1ad6/d0a16f2cf4f433bf

-sw (+11 cha-Ching!)

thanks for taking the -10 point hit for the group. Now us cowards can come
forth.

reading that thread, there seemed to be plenty of votes in favor of an IR
thermometer for candy making. My experience is only with chocolate, which
is not too hot and well stirred, and panforte where the sugar and honey was
brought to the soft ball stage (240 degrees), although this may not the most
critical of candy making examples. I suppose the key is how well you are
stirring and how critical the measurement need be for the specific recipe.

I bought the cheapest one I could find on e-bay, which is a small one
without a pistol shape, mainly so I could carry it with me easily when I
wanted to use it elsewhere.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

Well now. See? That was back in July. Sometimes I don't remember
breakfast. And . . . it wasn't as terribly important as it is now. The new
recipe says to cook on Hi for 13 minutes. I tried 8 level. That's not
quite enough. I just am afraid that 13 min. on full power would permanently
bond the candy to the bowl. I believe these will 'set' overnight. And
yes, sw. You get a +11 on your score. Well done. I hope the pralines are.
Polly

Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:55:26 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:

Well now. See? That was back in July. Sometimes I don't remember
breakfast. And . . . it wasn't as terribly important as it is now. The
new
recipe says to cook on Hi for 13 minutes. I tried 8 level. That's not
quite enough. I just am afraid that 13 min. on full power would
permanently
bond the candy to the bowl. I believe these will 'set' overnight. And
yes, sw. You get a +11 on your score. Well done. I hope the pralines
are.
Polly

I was just shooting for -10 + 11 = +1

You'll regret +11, Just keep me at 0 :-)

-sw

we all do.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" wrote:
"sf" wrote:
"Polly Esther" wrote:

Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

e-bay: $13.93

This is more suitable for yoose three... sf better tie a string on
hers lest it don't fall in.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-c...ermometer.html

Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
Polly

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

--

e-bay: $13.93

That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Ten points will be subtracted from the score of the first person who says
we've discussed this before. @#$! If you did, I missed it and I need help.
The key ingredient to my praline recipe that I've used for at least 50
years is Jell-o (cook) butterscotch pudding. It is just not available here.
I need to get the pralines made and shipped. Now!
I tried another recipe. It seemed to me that the cooking time wasn't
quite long enough. There is a split second or less between just right and
brick. I'm thinking a laser digital thermometer would be a super nice
Christmas gift (from me to me).
Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

Check Harbor Freight if you have one close by. I don't know what
shipping would be if you had to mail order.
--
Susan N.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

news

wrote:

Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for
candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
Polly

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

--

e-bay: $13.93

That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.

I'll let you know. I have had a "non-pistol" version from HK on ebay for a
year, and it is just fine. The electronics all come from the same place,
and it doesn't take much to slap them together.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:13:07 -0800, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

news

wrote:

Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for
candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
Polly

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

--

e-bay: $13.93

That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.

I'll let you know. I have had a "non-pistol" version from HK on ebay for a
year, and it is just fine. The electronics all come from the same place,
and it doesn't take much to slap them together.

You're going for it? Let me know because that's the kind of deal
that's hard to pass up. A fool and his money....

Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:13:07 -0800, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

news

wrote:

Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for
candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer?
Polly

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

--

e-bay: $13.93

That's the buy now price with free shipping? What's wrong with it?
Laser thermometers are $80-100 for the cheap ones.

I'll let you know. I have had a "non-pistol" version from HK on ebay for
year, and it is just fine. The electronics all come from the same place,
and it doesn't take much to slap them together.

You're going for it? Let me know because that's the kind of deal
that's hard to pass up. A fool and his money....

there are many of these deals on e-bay. and, as I said, I have bought a
similar IR thermometer before and it is fine.

I'll check it out and if ok sell it to you for $80-$100, ok?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Any of you have a laser digital thermometer? Do you use it for candy
making? Any warnings as to brands or the care of the thermometer? Polly

I looked at one the other day. Those things are expensive! I just
dipped my toe in the murky waters of probe thermometers, so a laser
model will have to wait.

Harbor freight usually has some cheap ones.
The laser is not required. A near field wide angle sensor is likely to give
better readings. Reflective surfaces can alter the reading.

Greg