Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Laser digital thermometer

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:10:29 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> , "Pico Rico"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> you are supposed to understand what the soft ball stage is, not just
> >> blindly
> >> use a thermometer.

> > I bought a probe thermometer last week with the intention of using it
> > for roast beast, but now I have to read the instructions to see if I
> > can use it for candy making too. My horizons are widening!

> I do, but I don't leave it in the pot like a glass one. I stick it in for a
> few swconds as it approaches the right stage. I also use it for making
> pouring custard or pastry cream. When it reaches 170F it's perfect.

Thanks, Giusi! I wasn't planning to leave it in the pot, but it's
nice to know that's how someone with experience does it too.

I should make a list. What are some of your temps? I think someone
told me a couple of years ago to take bread out at 190 or 195° (but I
don't remember which).