Gabe

Default Digital Cooking Thermometer

I'm looking for assistance on purchasing a Cooking thermometer. I saw the
Polder Preprogrammed cooking Thermometer at amazon.com. Is this one good?
I'm new at cooking and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

Gabe wrote:
> I'm looking for assistance on purchasing a Cooking thermometer. I
> saw the Polder Preprogrammed cooking Thermometer at amazon.com. Is
> this one good? I'm new at cooking and any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

You don't need the "pre progammed" mode, but it is a good thermometer. No
need to open the oven as you watch the temperature. IMO, the temperatures
suggested are to high.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Vox Humana

"Gabe" > wrote in message
t...
> I'm looking for assistance on purchasing a Cooking thermometer. I saw

the
> Polder Preprogrammed cooking Thermometer at amazon.com. Is this one good?
> I'm new at cooking and any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

Being the ever thrifty person I am, I just purchased an electronic
thermometer with a remote probe. I have looked at all the available models
sold in stores like Sur la Table and Williams-Sonoma. I found one for $9.95
at Meijers (which is their regular price). It is pre-programmed and has a
user defined setting. It does not have a timer function, which I don't need
anyway since there are two timers built into my range and one in the
microwave. The probe looks exactly like the more expensive models. In
fact, the same manufacturer offered another model for $24.95 in a sexier
case, but with the exact same functions.

I agree that the pre-programmed settings are too high, some by as much as
10F. They are based on USDA recommendations. The good news is that you
can reprogram them on the unit I bought and the new setting are maintained
until you remove the batteries. I have tested it against other conventional
thermometers and it seems to be accurate. So far I have used it for candy
making, roasting, and deed fat frying.

This is the unit I got:
http://store4.yimg.com/I/ultimateche..._1775_11526318