Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Evaporated milk

I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 10:34*am, notbob > wrote:
> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. *No milk in house
> except 12 oz can of evap milk. *Jes how evaporated is it? *Will 12 oz
> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>
> nb

Have you tried reading the label?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

But it tastes like crap.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>
> nb

Easily. It's not called the "cooking milk" for nothing.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 13-Oct-2011, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
>> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
>> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>>
>> nb

> Evaporated milk is roughly 60% of the volume of regular milk; to
> substitute
> in your recipe add 8 oz of water to the 12 oz of evap. milk. You'll have
> the equivalent of 16 oz of milk for your recipe and 4 oz left-over. Or
> add
> enough water to make it 16 oz and it will be a bit richer than regulary
> milk.

I love evaporated milk for cooking.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> But it tastes like crap.
>
> --Bryan

he's not asking you to dinner, bobo.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-10-13, Cheri > wrote:

> I love evaporated milk for cooking.

While I'm trying to become more veganish, I still have some cheese. Hence
the au gratin dish. Anyone try soy or almond milk for a bechemel?

I've discovered I love almond milk and it's not that expensive. A qt
of almond milk is not much more expensive than reg milk and it
keeps longer, too.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 10:34*am, notbob > wrote:
> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. *No milk in house
> except 12 oz can of evap milk. *Jes how evaporated is it? *Will 12 oz
> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>
> nb

I cook once a week for the congregation at my synagogue. I keep
evaporated milk on hand rather than whole milk, because it's easier to
store and doesn't require refrigeration. Works great for cooked/baked
dishes; just mix one to one & you'll be fine.

Harriet & critters in hot, hot azusa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>
> nb

http://www.foodsubs.com/Dairyoth.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Oct 2011 17:34:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
>except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
>of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>
>nb

Yes it will. I would add something like Dijon mustard to kill the
taste and the smell of it though.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-10-13, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> Yes it will. I would add something like Dijon mustard to kill the
> taste and the smell of it though.

Oooh! ....great idea. I was thinking of additions to pep it up. I
have some Coleman's mustard pwdr. I'm seeing a dash of cayenne, too.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-10-13, Cheri > wrote:
>>
>> > I love evaporated milk for cooking.

>> While I'm trying to become more veganish, I still have some cheese.
>> Hence
>> the au gratin dish. Anyone try soy or almond milk for a bechemel?

> Going to give up butter too? That's where
> many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
> is the first step that really requires you to say
> you'd rather live by your principles rather than
> eat what's yummy.

Codswallop!!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:07:25 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-10-13, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
> > Yes it will. I would add something like Dijon mustard to kill the
> > taste and the smell of it though.

> Oooh! ....great idea. I was thinking of additions to pep it up. I
> have some Coleman's mustard pwdr. I'm seeing a dash of cayenne, too.
>
> nb

Careful or your potatoes au gratin will end up smelling and looking like mustard plaster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-10-13, Cheri > wrote:
>
>> I love evaporated milk for cooking.

> While I'm trying to become more veganish, I still have some cheese. Hence
> the au gratin dish. Anyone try soy or almond milk for a bechemel?
>
> I've discovered I love almond milk and it's not that expensive. A qt
> of almond milk is not much more expensive than reg milk and it
> keeps longer, too.
>
> nb

I like almond milk a lot, but I've never tried it in cooking. As you say, it
lasts a lot longer and less waste.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:24:58 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > On 2011-10-13, Cheri > wrote:
> >
> > > I love evaporated milk for cooking.

> > While I'm trying to become more veganish, I still have some cheese. Hence
> > the au gratin dish. Anyone try soy or almond milk for a bechemel?

> Going to give up butter too? That's where
> many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
> is the first step that really requires you to say
> you'd rather live by your principles rather than
> eat what's yummy.

He's not going vegan, he's *veganish*. I can dig it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 8:33 AM, Cheri wrote:

> I love evaporated milk for cooking.
>
> Cheri

Evaporated milk is an important part of tres leches cake and Chinese
custard pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-10-13, Ophelia > wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

>> Going to give up butter too? That's where
>> many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
>> is the first step that really requires you to say
>> you'd rather live by your principles rather than
>> eat what's yummy.

Already have. Been using margerine. Used it in the au gratin despite
having about 3 lbs of butter in freezer. One step at a time.

> Codswallop!!!

Nonsense. Easy as kiss my hand! (love that Limey lingo)

We'll see. I jes popped it into the oven.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-10-13, Roy > wrote:

> Careful or your potatoes au gratin will end up smelling and looking
> like mustard plaster.

We'll see. I used about 1 tsp mstrd pwdr to 8oz cheese + 2 C milk.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:44:11 PM UTC-5, blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
>
> > But it tastes like crap.
> >
> > --Bryan

> he's not asking you to dinner, bobo.

Why would I want dinner prepared by someone with such low standards that they'd use canned milk in mashed potatoes?

> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 10:04 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2011 17:34:58 GMT, > wrote:
>
>> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
>> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
>> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>>
>> nb
>>

> Yes it will. I would add something like Dijon mustard to kill the
> taste and the smell of it though.
> Janet US

I used to like it in coffee but won't use it any more because the high
amount of lactose in it gives me a tummy ache.

As it goes, a generation of Americans who had readily available
refrigeration and/or fresh milk will probably view it as a second-rate
product. Most of the rest of the world won't have the objections to it
as we do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote:
>
>> Going to give up butter too?

It does make some amount of sense to work through the ingredients
currently in your cupboard but only replace them with ones that satisfy
your new expectations as long as you're in no hurry.

>> That's where
>> many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
>> is the first step that really requires you to say
>> you'd rather live by your principles rather than
>> eat what's yummy.

Because olive other oils are disgusting? Not to me.

> Codswallop!!!

Fish aren't vegan"ish" Or are they? ;^) I've heard some people assert
they are vegetarians because they eat chicken and fish but not red meat.
Maybe a vegan"ish" will decline to eat land meat and air meat but will
still eat codswallop and other mythical critters!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 11:33*am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote in ...
>

> > On 13-Oct-2011, notbob > wrote:

> >> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. *No milk in house
> >> except 12 oz can of evap milk. *Jes how evaporated is it? *Will 12 oz
> >> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?

> >> nb

> > Evaporated milk is roughly 60% of the volume of regular milk; to
> > substitute
> > in your recipe add 8 oz of water to the 12 oz of evap. milk. *You'll have
> > the equivalent of 16 oz of milk for your recipe and 4 oz left-over. *Or
> > add
> > enough water to make it 16 oz and it will be a bit richer than regulary
> > milk.

> I love evaporated milk for cooking.

It's ideal for quiche. I got a recipe using it years ago from
fr.rec.cuisine (known as "Gloria" in France).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Oct 13, 11:33 am, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote in
>

> > On 13-Oct-2011, notbob > wrote:

> >> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
> >> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
> >> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?

> >> nb

> > Evaporated milk is roughly 60% of the volume of regular milk; to
> > substitute
> > in your recipe add 8 oz of water to the 12 oz of evap. milk. You'll have
> > the equivalent of 16 oz of milk for your recipe and 4 oz left-over. Or
> > add
> > enough water to make it 16 oz and it will be a bit richer than regulary
> > milk.

> I love evaporated milk for cooking.

It's ideal for quiche. I got a recipe using it years ago from
fr.rec.cuisine (known as "Gloria" in France).

============

Yes, it works well for so many things and easy to have on hand.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2011-10-13, Cheri > wrote:
>
> > I love evaporated milk for cooking.

> While I'm trying to become more veganish, I still have some cheese. Hence
> the au gratin dish. Anyone try soy or almond milk for a bechemel?

Going to give up butter too? That's where
many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
is the first step that really requires you to say
you'd rather live by your principles rather than
eat what's yummy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 11:24 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-10-13, > wrote:
>>
>>> I love evaporated milk for cooking.

>> While I'm trying to become more veganish, I still have some cheese. Hence
>> the au gratin dish. Anyone try soy or almond milk for a bechemel?

> Going to give up butter too? That's where
> many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
> is the first step that really requires you to say
> you'd rather live by your principles rather than
> eat what's yummy.

Living by your principals always involves sacrifice. OTOH, like Groucho
said "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them… well, I have
others. ..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrrrryan wrote:

>But it tastes like crap.

Naturally faggots wouldn't like breast milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>notbob wrote:

-snip-
>> While I'm trying to become more veganish, I still have some cheese. Hence
>> the au gratin dish. Anyone try soy or almond milk for a bechemel?

>Going to give up butter too?

Note he said 'veganish'. But even at that-- my daughter is doing
the vegan thing & butter didn't even give her pause.

> That's where
>many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
>is the first step that really requires you to say
>you'd rather live by your principles rather than
>eat what's yummy.

Poppycock.
If the flavor of butter is really needed, I use crisco. Usually
margarine will do.

She's missing her cheeses- and eggs. [and struggling with the
principle behind not using honey]
Cheese is a work in progress- but there are substitutes. Egg whites
show up in the most innocuous things-

I accidentally un-veganized her carrot cake birthday cupcakes with
buttercream frosting by using a recipe that used Fluff.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:33:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"l, not -l" > wrote in message
>>
>> On 13-Oct-2011, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
>>> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
>>> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>>>
>>> nb

>> Evaporated milk is roughly 60% of the volume of regular milk; to
>> substitute
>> in your recipe add 8 oz of water to the 12 oz of evap. milk. You'll have
>> the equivalent of 16 oz of milk for your recipe and 4 oz left-over. Or
>> add
>> enough water to make it 16 oz and it will be a bit richer than regulary
>> milk.

>I love evaporated milk for cooking.

I love evap drizzled over chocolate pudding, jello, and especially
vanilla ice cream, it freezes and forms a delicious milky crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:33:43 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I like almond milk a lot, but I've never tried it in cooking. As you say, it
> lasts a lot longer and less waste.

I tried to make crepes with it and the results were sort of plastic-y.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:40:12 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> OTOH, like Groucho
> said "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them… well, I have
> others. ..."

That one never fails to make me laugh.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:33:43 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> I like almond milk a lot, but I've never tried it in cooking. As you say,
>> it
>> lasts a lot longer and less waste.

> I tried to make crepes with it and the results were sort of plastic-y.

Interesting. I've never tried it for cooking, but will skip trying it for
crepes.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>
> nb

Yes, that would work. I actually use it straight when I make macaroni
and cheese and it's perfect for that.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Martinich" <>
> Yes, that would work. I actually use it straight when I make macaroni
> and cheese and it's perfect for that.
>
> D.M.

In my quest to take as much fat as possible out of my cooking, I keep
fat-free evaporated milk on hand. Sometimes, it works as well as; sometimes
not. So far, I haven't produced a mustard plaster but there have been a few
dishes that weren't quite as stable as I had hoped. Nobody died and none
had to be tossed out. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 10:39*am, merryb > wrote:
> On Oct 13, 10:34*am, notbob > wrote:
>
> > I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. *No milk in house
> > except 12 oz can of evap milk. *Jes how evaporated is it? *Will 12 oz
> > of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?

> > nb

> Have you tried reading the label?

Sorry to reply to my own post, but apparently you didn't see it or
chose to ignore it. Read the freaking label! When all else fails...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 21:12:25 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On Oct 13, 10:39*am, merryb > wrote:
> > On Oct 13, 10:34*am, notbob > wrote:
> >
> > > I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. *No milk in house
> > > except 12 oz can of evap milk. *Jes how evaporated is it? *Will 12 oz
> > > of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?

> > > nb

> > Have you tried reading the label?

> Sorry to reply to my own post, but apparently you didn't see it or
> chose to ignore it. Read the freaking label! When all else fails...

Any woman who stands up to his crap goes into his kill file. So if
you've ever disagreed with him, even mildly - you're there.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:19:25 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Bwrrrrryan wrote:
> >
> >But it tastes like crap.

> Naturally faggots wouldn't like breast milk.

You just *wish* I was *** because my mugshot on the rfc site gets you turned on.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:52:20 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 10:04 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On 13 Oct 2011 17:34:58 GMT, > wrote:
> >
> >> I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
> >> except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
> >> of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
> >>
> >> nb
> >>

> > Yes it will. I would add something like Dijon mustard to kill the
> > taste and the smell of it though.
> > Janet US

> I used to like it in coffee but won't use it any more because the high
> amount of lactose in it gives me a tummy ache.
>
> As it goes, a generation of Americans who had readily available
> refrigeration and/or fresh milk will probably view it as a second-rate
> product. Most of the rest of the world won't have the objections to it
> as we do.

It is "second rate" at best. As you said, we have refrigerators. Real, fresh milk is under $4/gallon. Canned milk is like instant coffee or RealLemon.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-10-13, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

>>> Going to give up butter too? That's where
>>> many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
>>> is the first step that really requires you to say
>>> you'd rather live by your principles rather than
>>> eat what's yummy.

> Already have. Been using margerine. Used it in the au gratin despite
> having about 3 lbs of butter in freezer. One step at a time.
>
>> Codswallop!!!

> Nonsense. Easy as kiss my hand! (love that Limey lingo)
>

> We'll see. I jes popped it into the oven.

lol how about Balderdash!!!
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote:
>>
>>> Going to give up butter too?

> It does make some amount of sense to work through the ingredients
> currently in your cupboard but only replace them with ones that satisfy
> your new expectations as long as you're in no hurry.
>
>>> That's where
>>> many would-be vegans falter. Living butter-free
>>> is the first step that really requires you to say
>>> you'd rather live by your principles rather than
>>> eat what's yummy.

> Because olive other oils are disgusting? Not to me.
>
>> Codswallop!!!

> Fish aren't vegan"ish" Or are they? ;^) I've heard some people assert
> they are vegetarians because they eat chicken and fish but not red meat.
> Maybe a vegan"ish" will decline to eat land meat and air meat but will
> still eat codswallop and other mythical critters!

lol

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:04:02 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On 13 Oct 2011 17:34:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>I wanna make potatoes au gratin for potluck, today. No milk in house
>>except 12 oz can of evap milk. Jes how evaporated is it? Will 12 oz
>>of evap stretch to 16 oz of reg milk?
>>
>>nb
>>

>Yes it will. I would add something like Dijon mustard to kill the
>taste and the smell of it though.
>Janet US

I've never noticed that evap has a disagreeable odor, I happen to like
that mammory scent. For many years I drank coffee with evap... I
never liked coffee with regular milk or cream. For the last 20 years
I've been drinking coffee black.