Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Evaporated milk - what to do with it?

I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
make from the leftover milk?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:
> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> make from the leftover milk?
>
> Lenona.

I imagine you could use it in mashed potatoes, any cream sauce or soup
recipe. Perhaps as the milk in a meatloaf recipe that calls for soaking
the breadcrumbs??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Evaporated milk - what to do with it?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:23:45 -0800 (PST), Lenona > wrote:

-->I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
-->make from the leftover milk?
-->
-->Lenona.

Hello Dolly Bar

½ cup butter or margarine
1 ½ cups graham wafer crumbs
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1-cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or more
1-¼ cups flaked coconut (long sweet)
1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350° or 325° if using glass dish.
In 13x9" baking pan, melt butter in oven.
Sprinkle crumbs over butter; mix together and press into pan.
Pour Eagle Brand evenly over crumbs.
Sprinkle with chips, then coconut and nuts; press down firmly.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool well before cutting.
Store loosely covered at room temperature.

NOTE: This is how we put it together: graham base, top with nuts, coconut &
chocolate chips. Pour Eagle Brand over it all. Sometimes we add the Eagle Brand
in between layers too; still only using 1 can!

Nanaimo Bars

½ cup butter
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cocoa
1 egg, beaten
2 cups graham wafer crumbs
1 cup coconut, flaked or shredded
½ cup walnuts or peanuts, chopped
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/3 cup Lemon juice
1/3 cup melted chipits semi-sweet chocolate baking chips

Melt butter and stir in sugar, cocoa, egg, crumbs, coconut and walnuts.
Press into bottom of a 9x9" pan.
Combine Eagle Brand with lemon juice.
Blend well and spread onto base.
Sprinkle with toasted almonds or pistachios or drizzle with melted chocolate
chips.
Refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours).

***Note: It's important to use butter for a couple of reasons; the filling
will be lighter in color. It also has a lighter taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll correct myself. The evaporation process doesn't ADD sweetness, rather
it more pronounces the content of sugar that was there to begin with.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Recipes wrote:

> Hello Dolly Bar
>
> ½ cup butter or margarine
> 1 ½ cups graham wafer crumbs
> 1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
> 1-cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or more
> 1-¼ cups flaked coconut (long sweet)
> 1 cup chopped nuts

She has Evaporated Milk *not* Sweetened Condensed Milk
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 23, 12:05 pm, Goomba > wrote:

> She has Evaporated Milk *not* Sweetened Condensed Milk

Yes, but the OP may have misspoke. Wouldn't you use sweetened
condensed milk in lemon pie? I use it in Key Lime pie. Regular
evaporated milk can simply be used--as is, or diluted 1:1 with water--
wherever you use fresh milk. What to do with sweetened condensed milk
is a tougher question. Just in case, here's the recipe for Key Lime
pie I've posted before.

Key Lime Pie

Graham Cracker Crust

1.5 cups well crushed graham crackers, or a little more for a thicker
crust
3 TB sugar
1 cube (1/4 lb) butter (or a little less), very soft

I use the mini-food processor for the crumbs, getting them as fine as
possible. Or you can put them in a bag and roll them vigorously with a
rolling pin. Mix the ingredients well and press firmly into a 9" pie
plate. You may find it helpful to use the bottom of a jar to press
the crumbs into the plate. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 - 12
minutes until lightly browned. (experience says if you overbake it
the crust will be tough.) Place on a rack to cool fully. You may
want to shape the crust a little more at this point as it'll be soft
and pliable while hot..

Pie Filling

4 large or extra large egg yolks
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
2 teaspoons grated or microplaned lime zest, yellow [or green]
portion only

Zest or grate the limes before cutting them to juice. Beat the egg
yolks very well until they are thick and turn a lighter yellow.
Remove the lid of the sweetened milk with a can opener; don't make
holes with a churchkey. It's too thick to pour well out of holes.
Add the sweetened condensed milk and half the lime juice to the egg
yolks, stirring/mixing slowly but well until it's all well
incorporated. Then add the remaining juice and the zest, mix until
well blended. Pour the mixture into the cooled pie shell and bake at
350°F for about 12 minutes, until custard is just set. Cool on a
rack, then refrigerate for 2 hours or so to fully set the filling.
Bring back to room temp for serving, if desired. Whipped cream
topping is optional but a good complement. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Recipes wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:23:45 -0800 (PST), Lenona > wrote:
>
> -->I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> -->make from the leftover milk?
> -->
> -->Lenona.
>

> Hello Dolly Bar
>
> ½ cup butter or margarine
> 1 ½ cups graham wafer crumbs
> 1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
> 1-cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or more
> 1-¼ cups flaked coconut (long sweet)
> 1 cup chopped nuts
>
> Preheat oven to 350° or 325° if using glass dish.
> In 13x9" baking pan, melt butter in oven.
> Sprinkle crumbs over butter; mix together and press into pan.
> Pour Eagle Brand evenly over crumbs.
> Sprinkle with chips, then coconut and nuts; press down firmly.
>
> Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
> Cool well before cutting.
> Store loosely covered at room temperature.
>
> NOTE: This is how we put it together: graham base, top with nuts, coconut &
> chocolate chips. Pour Eagle Brand over it all. Sometimes we add the Eagle Brand
> in between layers too; still only using 1 can!
>

> Nanaimo Bars
>
> ½ cup butter
> ¼ cup brown sugar
> ¼ cup cocoa
> 1 egg, beaten
> 2 cups graham wafer crumbs
> 1 cup coconut, flaked or shredded
> ½ cup walnuts or peanuts, chopped
> 1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
> 1/3 cup Lemon juice
> 1/3 cup melted chipits semi-sweet chocolate baking chips
>
> Melt butter and stir in sugar, cocoa, egg, crumbs, coconut and walnuts.
> Press into bottom of a 9x9" pan.
> Combine Eagle Brand with lemon juice.
> Blend well and spread onto base.
> Sprinkle with toasted almonds or pistachios or drizzle with melted chocolate
> chips.
> Refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours).
>
> ***Note: It's important to use butter for a couple of reasons; the filling
> will be lighter in color. It also has a lighter taste.

Now she will need to buy sweetened condensed milk and still have a
partial can of condensed milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 1:23*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> make from the leftover milk?
>
> Lenona.

If you can't bear to throw it out, mix it with some regular milk and
stretch your supply - then use in cooking? Clam chowduh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 12:29*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Lenona > wrote in news:9385bd92-3897-4216-a852-
> :
>
> > I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> > make from the leftover milk?

> > Lenona.

> I've used Carnation fat-free evaporated milk for breakfast cereal with
> great success. The evaporation of water adds a sweetness that makes it a
> great version of milk when applied to breakfast cereal, imho.

This from the person known for eating shitty breakfasts. Pour it down
the drain.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 2:51*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 3:16*pm, aem > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 23, 12:05 pm, Goomba > wrote:

> > > She has Evaporated Milk *not* Sweetened Condensed Milk

> > Yes, but the OP may have misspoke. *

> Nope. The recipe was from "White Trash Cooking," and it called for
> BOTH evaporated milk and condensed milk.

Using canned milk is indeed White trash cooking.

> Lenona.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:10:17 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Nov 23, 1:23*pm, Lenona > wrote:
>> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
>> make from the leftover milk?
>>
>> Lenona.

>If you can't bear to throw it out, mix it with some regular milk and
>stretch your supply - then use in cooking? Clam chowduh?

Evap is good in coffee, excellent drizzled over nilla ice cream, and
over cooked chocolate pudding... I also love it with my breakfast
flakies... it'll also whip just like whipped cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:51:14 -0800 (PST), Lenona > wrote:

-->On Nov 23, 3:16*pm, aem > wrote:
-->> On Nov 23, 12:05 pm, Goomba > wrote:
-->>
-->>
-->>
-->> > She has Evaporated Milk *not* Sweetened Condensed Milk
-->>
-->> Yes, but the OP may have misspoke. *
-->
-->
-->Nope. The recipe was from "White Trash Cooking," and it called for
-->BOTH evaporated milk and condensed milk.
-->
-->Lenona.

Actually there were two, and they were not from your cookbook Lenona

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 5:00*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 23-Nov-2009, Lenona > wrote:
>
> > I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> > make from the leftover milk?

> > Lenona.

> It is milk that is reduced in volume by 40% by removing water; use it anyway
> you would milk by adding water equal to 2/3s the amount of evaporated milk.
> Or, use it as is for a richer milk taste in things like mashed potatoes,
> soups, etc. *If using it in ways where it is readily tasted, for example
> drinking or on cereal, you may find it tastes a bit different that fresh
> milk; it may tastes slightly caramelized due to the heat used in the
> evaporation and canning process.

It doesn't taste "a bit different." It tastes a lot different.
Canned milk should have gone the way of the buggy whip decades ago.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 6:02*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 5:00*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:> On 23-Nov-2009, Lenona > wrote:
>
> > > I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> > > make from the leftover milk?

> > > Lenona.

> > It is milk that is reduced in volume by 40% by removing water; use it anyway
> > you would milk by adding water equal to 2/3s the amount of evaporated milk.
> > Or, use it as is for a richer milk taste in things like mashed potatoes,
> > soups, etc. *If using it in ways where it is readily tasted, for example
> > drinking or on cereal, you may find it tastes a bit different that fresh
> > milk; it may tastes slightly caramelized due to the heat used in the
> > evaporation and canning process.

> It doesn't taste "a bit different." *It tastes a lot different.
> Canned milk should have gone the way of the buggy whip decades ago.
>
> --Bryan

I ALWAYS use evaporated milk for: meatloaf and scalloped/au gratin
potatoes. Works better than plain whole milk or light cream - adds
richness without as much fat. I cannot, however STAND the taste of it
"raw"! ;-)
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 7:13*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> > > It is milk that is reduced in volume by 40% by removing water; use it anyway
> > > you would milk by adding water equal to 2/3s the amount of evaporated milk.
> > > Or, use it as is for a richer milk taste in things like mashed potatoes,
> > > soups, etc. *If using it in ways where it is readily tasted, for example
> > > drinking or on cereal, you may find it tastes a bit different that fresh
> > > milk; it may tastes slightly caramelized due to the heat used in the
> > > evaporation and canning process.

> > It doesn't taste "a bit different." *It tastes a lot different.
> > Canned milk should have gone the way of the buggy whip decades ago.

> > --Bryan

> I ALWAYS use evaporated milk for: meatloaf and scalloped/au gratin
> potatoes. Works better than plain whole milk or light cream *- adds
> richness without as much fat. *I cannot, however STAND the taste of it
> "raw"! *;-)
> Lynn in Fargo- Hide quoted text -

Make jello according to package directions, then whip in the
evaporated milk. e.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 6:32*pm, " > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 7:13*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> > > It doesn't taste "a bit different." *It tastes a lot different.
> > > Canned milk should have gone the way of the buggy whip decades ago.

> > > --Bryan

> > I ALWAYS use evaporated milk for: meatloaf and scalloped/au gratin
> > potatoes. Works better than plain whole milk or light cream *- adds
> > richness without as much fat. *I cannot, however STAND the taste of it
> > "raw"! *;-)
> > Lynn in Fargo- Hide quoted text -

> Make jello according to package directions, then whip in the
> evaporated milk. *e.

10 Q veddy much! I'll try that.
Lynn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lenona > wrote:

> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> make from the leftover milk?
>
> Lenona.

Add some water and feed a baby.

Use it as a coffee creamer.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:
> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> make from the leftover milk?
>
> Lenona.

Pumpkin pie!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 8:28*pm, Arri London > wrote:
> Lenona wrote:
>
> > I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> > make from the leftover milk?

It's good in bread pudding, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:

> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> make from the leftover milk?
>
> Lenona.

Cook it down into a custard. Or put it into your coffee. The Dutch
'koffiemelk' is very much like evaporated milk, so I use the canned milk
from time to time as a comfort thing LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 8:14*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Lenona > wrote:
> > I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> > make from the leftover milk?

> > Lenona.

> Add some water and feed a baby.

Start the child's life with low expectations so (s)he won't have to
deal with disappoinment

> Use it as a coffee creamer.

And the good people of Lake Wobegon can feel lucky that they're
stepping up from their standard Coffee-Mate.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 8:28*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 8:14*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> > *Lenona > wrote:
> > > I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> > > make from the leftover milk?

> > > Lenona.

> > Add some water and feed a baby.

> Start the child's life with low expectations so (s)he won't have to
> deal with disappoinment

Evaporated milk mixed with Karo syrup used to be the standard
'formula' for babies who were not breast fed. There's 100's of
thousands of people who were fed this long before Similac ever
appeared on the scene.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
itsjoannotjoann > wrote:

> On Nov 23, 8:28*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 8:14*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> > wrote:

> > > Add some water and feed a baby.

Not recommended. See below.

> > Start the child's life with low expectations so (s)he won't have to
> > deal with disappoinment

Babies aren't very picky.

> Evaporated milk mixed with Karo syrup used to be the standard
> 'formula' for babies who were not breast fed. There's 100's of
> thousands of people who were fed this long before Similac ever
> appeared on the scene.

Cow's milk is for calves. It doesn't have the correct percentages of
protein, fat and sugar for human babies. It's fine as a supplement or
for older kids who other getting other food.

Is "Karo syrup" where kids got their taste for HFCS? :-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 8:44*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 8:28*pm, Food Snob® > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 23, 8:14*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> > wrote:

> > > In article

> > > Add some water and feed a baby.

> > Start the child's life with low expectations so (s)he won't have to
> > deal with disappoinment

> Evaporated milk mixed with Karo syrup used to be the standard
> 'formula' for babies who were not breast fed. *There's 100's of
> thousands of people who were fed this long before Similac ever
> appeared on the scene.

Back in the days when babies used to chew lead paint off of their
cribs. While I enjoy watching Mad Men, I don't want to return to the
ways things were done back then.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 2:58*am, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > Is "Karo syrup" where kids got their taste for HFCS? *:-)

> * *Actually, Karo syrup did _not_ contain HFCS, to my surprise, and did
> have real vanilla in it. *Who knew?

True, no HFCS, but instead NO fructose corn syrup (worse in most
ways). Except for the vanilla and salt, it was just glucose and
water.

> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > Is "Karo syrup" where kids got their taste for HFCS? :-)

> Actually, Karo syrup did _not_ contain HFCS, to my surprise, and did
> have real vanilla in it. Who knew?

I mentioned it because CS (corn syrup), (which, with salt and vanilla,
as Bryan mentioned), is Karo Light, is the first step in producing HFCS.

I just checked the web site:

http://www.karosyrup.com/products.html

Only Karo pancake contains HFCS, the others (Karo Light, Lite, Dark and
Brown Sugar, don't).

Note that "Light" refers to the color. "Lite" has sucralose added to
reduce calories.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:

> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> make from the leftover milk?

Thai style iced tea or iced coffee is made with sweetened condensed
milk. I think it's too sweet. Should be good with the regular
evaporated milk instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Let's see - Evaporated milk - what to do with it?

On Nov 23, 10:23*am, Lenona > wrote:
> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
> make from the leftover milk?
>
> Lenona.

No of "those people* made a case with a reply "What can?" and didn't
attacked you? I am impressed. *Those* people must have finally learned
not to forget the subject title of the post by the time they started
reading the post. *Those people* know my list of *those*.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 1:32*pm, Recipes > wrote:

You left out the first 3/4 of your screen name, Canadian White Trash
Recipes.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
> On Nov 23, 10:23 am, Lenona > wrote:
>> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
>> make from the leftover milk?
>>
>> Lenona.

> No of "those people* made a case with a reply "What can?" and didn't
> attacked you? I am impressed. *Those* people must have finally learned
> not to forget the subject title of the post by the time they started
> reading the post. *Those people* know my list of *those*.

I don't see your answer to the question posed. Did you forget the
subject title of the post, Amanda?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
>make from the leftover milk?
>
>Lenona.

Freeze it. I buy evaporated milk in both the 12 oz and the 5oz cans.
I don't drink milk so keeping this on hand at times has been a
lifesaver.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:16:06 -0800 (PST), Manda Ruby wrote:

> On Nov 23, 10:23*am, Lenona > wrote:
>> I opened a can and used some for a lemon pie. Anything else you can
>> make from the leftover milk?
>>
>> Lenona.

> No of "those people* made a case with a reply "What can?" and didn't
> attacked you? I am impressed. *Those* people must have finally learned
> not to forget the subject title of the post by the time they started
> reading the post. *Those people* know my list of *those*.

i assume they will be dealt with severely.

blake