Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default using evaporated and/or condensed milk?

There are a few small cans of evaporated and condensed milk in my
pantry, and I've never before used either to cook anything, truly. Most
of the time, I usually give away the few cans I do have to the yearly
USPS (postal) food drive.

Sometimes, I come across recipes that use the stuff, which is why I have
the few cans in my pantry. But, I can't think of any of those recipes
right now. Most of them were for desserts, IIRC.

What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
condensed milk? Google is definitely my friend, but I wanted to ask
here first. Please note that I usually cook for no more than two
people. TIA.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:
> There are a few small cans of evaporated and condensed milk in my
> pantry, and I've never before used either to cook anything, truly. Most
> of the time, I usually give away the few cans I do have to the yearly
> USPS (postal) food drive.
>
> Sometimes, I come across recipes that use the stuff, which is why I have
> the few cans in my pantry. But, I can't think of any of those recipes
> right now. Most of them were for desserts, IIRC.
>
> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
> condensed milk? Google is definitely my friend, but I wanted to ask
> here first. Please note that I usually cook for no more than two
> people. TIA.
>
> Sky

I keep a few cans in the pantry specifically for baking or "skillet
caseroles" when I want some comfort food and I've been too lazy to buy
fresh milk that week. I don't drink milk, and only really use it for
cereal. More often than not, even the ultra-pasterized stuff spoils
before I use the whole container.

So I use evaporated milk in those quick and easy recipes that call for
milk. I just mix it with about equal parts water, and it's fine for
almost any sort of cooked dish.

And it seems to last forever in the cupboard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 16:37:33 -0500, skyhooks
> wrote:

>What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
>condensed milk?

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars
Fruitcake Bars
Potato Leek Soup with Ham

* Exported from MasterCook *

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

Recipe By :Libby's
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:39
Categories : Desserts Pies/Pastries
Thanksgiving

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs -- slightly beaten
15 ounces canned pumpkin
12 ounces evaporated milk -- undiluted
1 pie crust (9 inch) -- unbaked

MIX sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs
in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir
in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to
350° F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center
comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or
refrigerate.

NOTE:
Do not freeze, as this will cause the crust to separate from the
filling

1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for cinnamon,
ginger and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different.

FOR 2 SHALLOW PIES:
Substitute two 9-inch (2-cup volume) pie shells. Bake in preheated
425° F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F.; bake for
20 to 30 minutes or until pies test done.

S(Website:
"www.verybestbaking.com"
Start to Finish Time:
"0:50"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars

Recipe By :Eagle Brand
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Cookies/Bars

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
6 ounces butterscotch chips
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups coconut flakes
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°F, (325°F for glass dish). In 13x9-inch baking
pan, melt butter in oven.

Sprinkle crumbs over butter; pour Eagle Brand evenly on top of crumbs.
Top with remaining ingredients in order listed; press down firmly with
fork.

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Chill if desired. Cut
into bars. Store covered at room temperature.

""This Eagle Brand best-loved classic is a favorite of kids and
adults for its deliciously unique taste. Eagle Brand is the magic
ingredient in this easy cookie bar recipe.""

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This recipe includes butterscotch chips, which can be
substituted with nuts, M&M's, Oreo pieces...you name it!

For perfectly cut cookie bars line entire pan (including sides) with a
sheet of aluminum foil first. When bars are baked, cool; lift up edges
of foil to remove from pan. Cut into individual squares. Lift off of
foil.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fruitcake Bars

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Christmas Cookies/Bars

6 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup coconut -- shredded
2 cups mixed candied fruit
1 cup dates -- cut up
1 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Combine melted butter and cracker crumbs in 9x13-inch cake pan, and
pat firmly onto bottom of pan.

Add in layers:
coconut
candied fruit
dates
nuts

Dribble condensed milk evenly across top of bars.

Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potato Leek Soup with Ham

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Potatoes Soups

3 14 oz. cans chicken broth
8 large potatoes -- peeled and cubed
3 leeks - white & light green part only --
chopped
2 large carrots -- peeled and cubed
3 cups chopped ham
5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces evaporated milk
shredded American cheese -- if desired
chopped chives -- for garnish

Put all ingredients except milk, cheese, and chives in 4.5 quart
crockpot.
Cover and cook on Low 10-12 hours. (High 7-8 hours)
Add milk during last hour.
Serve topped with shredded cheese and chopped chives (optional).

Yield:
"4 quarts"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:

> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
> condensed milk? Google is definitely my friend, but I wanted to ask
> here first. Please note that I usually cook for no more than two
> people. TIA.

Evaporated milk is common to pumpkin pie. Try using it up in a scalloped
potato type recipe or something?
I never use condensed (sweetened) milk for anything so can't help you
there. Easy to find quicky dessert recipes using it though.
If you look on the Carnation website they might have recipes to interest
you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> skyhooks wrote:
>
>> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
>> condensed milk? Google is definitely my friend, but I wanted to ask
>> here first. Please note that I usually cook for no more than two
>> people. TIA.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...d+milk&x=0&y=0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:51:25 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Goomba38 wrote:
>> skyhooks wrote:
>>
>>> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
>>> condensed milk? Google is definitely my friend, but I wanted to ask
>>> here first. Please note that I usually cook for no more than two
>>> people. TIA.

>http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...d+milk&x=0&y=0

macaroons?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 8, 2:37 pm, skyhooks > wrote:
> There are a few small cans of evaporated and condensed milk in my
> pantry, and I've never before used either to cook anything, truly. [snip]

> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
> condensed milk? [snip]

Sweetened condensed milk is just the thing for key lime pie.

Evaporated milk is the cupboard substitute for anything that calls for
milk. You can dilute it with water 50-50 to approximate milk or use it
as it is for a richer effect. Examples: on oatmeal, undiluted; for
creamed sausage (biscuits and sausage) partially diluted; for mac 'n
cheese undiluted; for scalloped potatoes undiluted (I think this is a
particularly good use -- better result than regular milk); mixed with
chicken broth it makes an excellent fried chicken gravy. These are
just the things that I remember using it for recently. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Make a pot of tea. Put some condensed milk in a container. Slosh it
from one container to another with some distance between them. Add
some sugar.

That's the way they drink tea in India.

skyhooks wrote:
> There are a few small cans of evaporated and condensed milk in my
> pantry, and I've never before used either to cook anything, truly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:

> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
> condensed milk? Google is definitely my friend, but I wanted to ask
> here first. Please note that I usually cook for no more than two
> people. TIA.

Key lime pie. This one includes directions for making the graham crust,
but you can use a purchased crust with a lot less hassle. A whole pie is
a lot for two, but since the milk and the store-bought crust keep for
ages in the pantry, I keep ingredients around for last-minute dessert.

Key Lime Pie
Recipe courtesy Joe's Stone Crab

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
User Rating: 5 Stars

Graham Cracker Crust:
1 paper-wrapped package graham crackers (1/3 of a 1 pound box) or 1 cup
plus 2 1/2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar

Filling:
3 egg yolks
2 limes, zest grated (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (if you get Key limes, use them:
otherwise use regular limes)

Topping:
1 cup heavy or whipping cream, chilled
3 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar

For the graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter
a 9-inch pie pan. Break up the graham crackers: place in a food
processor and process to crumbs. (If you dont have a food processor,
place the crackers in a large plastic bag: seal and then crush the
crackers with a rolling pin.) Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse
or stir until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of
the pan, forming a neat border around the edge. Bake the crust until set
and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.

For the filling: Meanwhile, in a electric mixer with the wire whisk
attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until very
fluffy, abut 5 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to
beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and
slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour
mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the filling
has set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20
minutes before serving.

For the topping: Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until
nearly stiff. Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each
wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks wrote:
> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
> condensed milk? Google is definitely my friend, but I wanted to ask
> here first. Please note that I usually cook for no more than two
> people. TIA.
>
> Sky

We keep skimmed milk around to drink. If you need whole milk for a
recipe, evaporated milk and water, 1:1, makes whole milk. Need to check
prices to see if cost effective, but at least you won't be tossing a
barely used quart of whole milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

skyhooks said...

> What simple and quick recipes can anyone recommend for evaporated and/or
> condensed milk?

I use evaporated fat-free milk for my breakfast cereal.

Trader Joe's O's or mini shredded wheat, mood depending.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
skyhooks > wrote:

> There are a few small cans of evaporated and condensed milk in my
> pantry, and I've never before used either to cook anything, truly. Most

> Sky

Use the evaporated milk in coffee. Or in a cream soup. Or fudge. Or
check one of those websites that let you enter an ingredient and then
spits back gobs of recipes using your ingredient of choice.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller; blahblahblog 9/29/2006
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks everyone for all the responses about this subject. I'm not
surprised I've never used this stuff because I always have milk (and
cream) on hand. But, I will have to give it a go when I make some
desserts. Thanks again.

Sky