Old 24-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Member

Default How to stop the leak under the kitchen sink?

I just unclogged the kitchen sink...
There was blockage in the plastic pipe so I undid the ring and scooped it out. NOW my problem is that the brass pipe right below the sink basin is leaking. The pipe is sliding up and down and the ring seems to be tight. Do I need a sealant or have I made the problem worse. If I wrench off the ring and re-tighten it will that do...

Old 24-06-2011, 12:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

nidaarose wrote:
I just unclogged the kitchen sink...
There was blockage in the plastic pipe so I undid the ring and scooped
it out. NOW my problem is that the brass pipe right below the sink basin
is leaking. The pipe is sliding up and down and the ring seems to be
tight. Do I need a sealant or have I made the problem worse. If I wrench
off the ring and re-tighten it will that do...

Plumbers putty may help.

Old 24-06-2011, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:10:33 +0000, nidaarose
wrote:

I just unclogged the kitchen sink...
There was blockage in the plastic pipe so I undid the ring and scooped
it out. NOW my problem is that the brass pipe right below the sink basin
is leaking. The pipe is sliding up and down and the ring seems to be
tight. Do I need a sealant or have I made the problem worse. If I wrench
off the ring and re-tighten it will that do...

Welcome to the wild world of home repair. Call a plumber, sounds like
you need one.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 24-06-2011, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I just unclogged the kitchen sink...
There was blockage in the plastic pipe so I undid the ring and scooped
it out. NOW my problem is that the brass pipe right below the sink basin
is leaking. The pipe is sliding up and down and the ring seems to be
tight. Do I need a sealant or have I made the problem worse. If I wrench
off the ring and re-tighten it will that do...

Welcome to the wild world of home repair. Call a plumber, sounds like
you need one.

I agree a plumber can fix this. From the description it is hard to
tell which parts of the assemblage are plastic and which are brass,
but it doesn't really matter.

In my opinion there is no "sealant" needed in this assembly. One might
use teflon pipe tape but even if left out it should not leak. It's
probably assembled together wrong, or some component has a hole
punched through.

You got a bucket under it? Then you're probably okay for the time being.

Steve

Old 24-06-2011, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/06/2011 4:10 AM, nidaarose wrote:
I just unclogged the kitchen sink...
There was blockage in the plastic pipe so I undid the ring and scooped
it out. NOW my problem is that the brass pipe right below the sink basin
is leaking. The pipe is sliding up and down and the ring seems to be
tight. Do I need a sealant or have I made the problem worse. If I wrench
off the ring and re-tighten it will that do...

Don't call a plumber until you have tried to do it yourself. Those guys
charge a lot of money for a job that you should be able to do yourself
with a few minutes and a little bit of knowledge. It helps to have arms
like a monkey.

You may have to buy a new drain and tail piece. They are not expensive
and it comes with a set of seals, one for the top and one for the
bottom. Then there is a lock nut. The tail piece should then slip into
the P trap.

http://www.plumbinghelp.ca/howto_kitchen_sink_drain.php
Old 24-06-2011, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the sink is still plugged up.
Run down to home depot and get this very good book. I have it and it has
helped allot. Get the HOME DEPOT 123 Book, well worth it!

Sinks often require specialized tools that make the job easier.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=2733

Old 25-06-2011, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/06/2011 6:54 PM, Nad R wrote:

Sounds like the sink is still plugged up.

I got the impression from the OPs description that it was the tailpiece
that is moving up and down, which would indicate a problem with the
train itself. OTOH it could be that the tailpiece is moving up and down
in the trap. If that it the case, it might just need to be tightened a
bit more. Or...... a new collar and washer.

Run down to home depot and get this very good book. I have it and it has
helped allot. Get the HOME DEPOT 123 Book, well worth it!

Sinks often require specialized tools that make the job easier.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=2733

Is that a binder? It looks like a book I bought in binder form years
ago. It has been handy.

Old 25-06-2011, 01:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"nidaarose" wrote in message

I just unclogged the kitchen sink...
There was blockage in the plastic pipe so I undid the ring and scooped
it out. NOW my problem is that the brass pipe right below the sink basin
is leaking. The pipe is sliding up and down and the ring seems to be
tight. Do I need a sealant or have I made the problem worse. If I wrench
off the ring and re-tighten it will that do...

If you cut yourself and are bleeding profusely, make sure you post here
before calling for help.
BTW: My shed roof is leaking, what kind of tomato paste should I use?

Old 25-06-2011, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
On 24/06/2011 6:54 PM, Nad R wrote:

Sounds like the sink is still plugged up.

I got the impression from the OPs description that it was the tailpiece
that is moving up and down, which would indicate a problem with the train
itself. OTOH it could be that the tailpiece is moving up and down in the
trap. If that it the case, it might just need to be tightened a bit more.
Or...... a new collar and washer.

Run down to home depot and get this very good book. I have it and it has
helped allot. Get the HOME DEPOT 123 Book, well worth it!

Sinks often require specialized tools that make the job easier.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=2733

Is that a binder? It looks like a book I bought in binder form years ago.
It has been handy.

Hardback, a very useful book for basic household repairs.

Old 25-06-2011, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 5:02*pm, Dave Smith wrote:
On 24/06/2011 6:54 PM, Nad R wrote:

Sounds like the sink is still plugged up.

I got the impression from the OPs description that it was the tailpiece
that is moving up and down, which would indicate a problem with the
train itself. *OTOH it could be that the tailpiece is moving up and down
in the trap. If that it the case, it might just need to be tightened a
bit more. Or...... *a new collar and washer.

The slip nut washer is cracked 90% of the time when I have to play Mr
At-Home Plumber. Make sure you get an exact match, or just buy a new
slip nut and washer. In that case, make sure it fits the tailpipe.

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/images/...op/6060_th.jpg

Old 25-06-2011, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

The slip nut washer is cracked 90% of the time when I have to play Mr
At-Home Plumber. Make sure you get an exact match, or just buy a new
slip nut and washer. In that case, make sure it fits the tailpipe.

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/images/...op/6060_th.jpg

Sounds more like an impacted spamtrap... and apply some bag balm to
your cracked nipples. hehe
Old 25-06-2011, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/06/2011 10:53 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

Sounds like the sink is still plugged up.

I got the impression from the OPs description that it was the tailpiece
that is moving up and down, which would indicate a problem with the
drain itself. OTOH it could be that the tailpiece is moving up and down
in the trap. If that it the case, it might just need to be tightened a
bit more. Or...... a new collar and washer.

Or the drain could be plugged up further down the line. Normally,
even if the undersink trap pipes have lost integrity, there is
no leak or very little leak until the drains start running slow.

Basically you have two failures: slow or stopped drain, and a bad
pipe. You need both failures to get a full-scale leak.

No. All you need is a bad pipe or a bad joint, and you are likely to get
a full scale leak every time water runs down the pipe.

The kitchen sink MisterDiddyWahDiddy General Cooking 2 11-12-2015 05:37 PM
Kitchen sink Dimitri General Cooking 181 05-02-2012 03:45 PM
Kitchen Sink Andy Petro Cooking Equipment 4 27-01-2009 07:39 AM
Everything but the kitchen sink? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 39 03-09-2008 10:34 PM
Kitchen sink Nancy Young General Cooking 86 21-08-2004 09:36 AM