Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Everything but the kitchen sink?

I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba) who are undergoing
kitchen remodels. My question for you is, did you change your sinks?

I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. It's just one big sink,
not a divided sink. No place to set a dish drainer in one side. Since
counter space in that kitchen is very limited it was a problem. But then, I
was used to setting dishes on the other side of the sink in a dish rack to
dry. OTOH, that sink is roomy enough to easily soak 13X9 baking dishes, the
broiler pan, practically any size baking sheets.

Mom's kitchen has your standard size divided stainless sink. Now I miss
having that big sink! When I made flank steak the other night I could have
dropped the broiler pan rack it in and soaked it without having to shift it
around to wash it.

My ideal kitchen would have a large but divided sink. I sometimes think I'd
like a third, deeper sink for stock pots and taller items. Not as critical,
but hey, I can dream

If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen sinks?
If you're thinking about it would you change your kitchen sinks? How and
why?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in message
. ..
> I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba)
> who are undergoing kitchen remodels. My question for you
> is, did you change your sinks?

Yes; in fact we debated the style and utilitarian aspects of
several different manufacturers. Because we knew we were
focusing so much energy on the kitchen, we wanted one that
would fit our needs and desires. Space also played into the
equation at one point.

The one thing I wish we'd listened to our architect over was
placement of a second sink in the island. The two new homes
we'd seen them in were pretty uselessly placed so when he
suggested a "vegetable" station in the island, I wasn't very
impressed and nixed it. Nowadays, I look at the area and think,
"What if..." <shrug> A smaller sink, with a wand sprayer, at
the place originally suggested on the island is the next big
plan.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 31 Aug 2008 08:30:56a, jmcquown told us...

> I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba) who are
> undergoing kitchen remodels. My question for you is, did you change
> your sinks?
>
> I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. It's just one big
> sink, not a divided sink. No place to set a dish drainer in one side.
> Since counter space in that kitchen is very limited it was a problem.
> But then, I was used to setting dishes on the other side of the sink in
> a dish rack to dry. OTOH, that sink is roomy enough to easily soak 13X9
> baking dishes, the broiler pan, practically any size baking sheets.
>
> Mom's kitchen has your standard size divided stainless sink. Now I miss
> having that big sink! When I made flank steak the other night I could
> have dropped the broiler pan rack it in and soaked it without having to
> shift it around to wash it.
>
> My ideal kitchen would have a large but divided sink. I sometimes think
> I'd like a third, deeper sink for stock pots and taller items. Not as
> critical, but hey, I can dream
>
> If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen
> sinks? If you're thinking about it would you change your kitchen sinks?
> How and why?
>
> Jill

Our new house has a divided SS sink, but the bowls are extra deep. Still,
I would actually rather have a large, deep single sink. I don't hand wash
and rinse much of anything, as it all goes into the diswasher, but the
large sngle sink is great for soaking or working with large vessels. When
we remodeled our last kitchen in OH, that's what I opted for. Given the
kitchen size and arrangement, a second separate food prep sink would be
great.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
15hrs 16mins
A cat is easier to train than a moderator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen sinks?

Yes. I got an undermounted two-tub stainless steel sink, and
only recently realized that one of the tubs is large enough to
accomodate a sheet pan. That's a nice feature.

The only other thing I think I should have looked for is overflow
capability from one tub to the other, just in case. Oh well,
that's no big deal, really.

Pics: http://www.panix.com/~mshaw/images/kitchen/

--
Mark Shaw Practicing Eccentric
Do gynoids dream of divorce settlements?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in

> If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your
> kitchen sinks? If you're thinking about it would you change
> your kitchen sinks? How and why?
>
> Jill

I have the divided s.s. sink. I would want them a bit wider and
deeper. Why? It's hard to wash/soak the large pots and pans that
don't conform to the smallish width and depth of my sinks.
Soapy water doesn't cover them no matter how I set them in the
sink!

PS Hope you are feeling OK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 31 Aug 2008 09:22:32a, Mark Shaw told us...

> jmcquown > wrote:
>> If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen
>> sinks?

> Yes. I got an undermounted two-tub stainless steel sink, and
> only recently realized that one of the tubs is large enough to
> accomodate a sheet pan. That's a nice feature.
>
> The only other thing I think I should have looked for is overflow
> capability from one tub to the other, just in case. Oh well,
> that's no big deal, really.
>
> Pics: http://www.panix.com/~mshaw/images/kitchen/

Very nice kitchen, Mark!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
14hrs 20mins
The following statement is not true:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 11:30�am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba) who are undergoing
> kitchen remodels. �My question for you is, did you change your sinks?
>
> I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. �It's just one big sink,
> not a divided sink. �No place to set a dish drainer in one side. �Since
> counter space in that kitchen is very limited it was a problem. �But then, I
> was used to setting dishes on the other side of the sink in a dish rack to
> dry. �OTOH, that sink is roomy enough to easily soak 13X9 baking dishes, the
> broiler pan, practically any size baking sheets.
>
> Mom's kitchen has your standard size divided stainless sink. �Now I miss
> having that big sink! �When I made flank steak the other night I could have
> dropped the broiler pan rack it in and soaked it without having to shift it
> around to wash it.
>
> My ideal kitchen would have a large but divided sink. �I sometimes think I'd
> like a third, deeper sink for stock pots and taller items. �Not as critical,
> but hey, I can dream
>
> If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen sinks?
> If you're thinking about it would you change your kitchen sinks? �How and
> why?
>
> Jill

I detest divided sinks, all you have is two small sinks. One of the
first things I did when I moved here is to get rid of that divided
sink and install the deepest single sink I could find. For draining
there are all sorts of thingies that will span the sink front to back,
and ever I need a small sink I simply use my Rubbermaid dish pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
I detest divided sinks, all you have is two small sinks. One of the
first things I did when I moved here is to get rid of that divided
sink and install the deepest single sink I could find.

I agree. The only way I'd have a divided sink is a huge one with a full
sized sink on one side, smaller on the other side. Should be deep also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:30:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba) who are
>> undergoing kitchen remodels. My question for you is, did you change
>> your sinks?
>>
>> I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. It's just one
>> big sink, not a divided sink. No place to set a dish drainer in one
>> side. Since counter space in that kitchen is very limited
>> Jill

> I have a deep divided sink. But washing and draining in a large sink
> is not a problem. You can do what my mother and MIL always did. A
> dish pan on one side a dish rack in the other.

They must have had more counter space than in my apartment kitchen. There's
barely room for a cutting board, forget about separate dish pan and racks on
either side of the sink. Still, I find I like that kitchen better than
having to walk across a large kitchen (and around the pretty useless island)
at Mom's house

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba) who are undergoing
>kitchen remodels. My question for you is, did you change your sinks?
>
>I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. It's just one big sink,
>not a divided sink. No place to set a dish drainer in one side. Since
>counter space in that kitchen is very limited it was a problem. But then, I
>was used to setting dishes on the other side of the sink in a dish rack to
>dry. OTOH, that sink is roomy enough to easily soak 13X9 baking dishes, the
>broiler pan, practically any size baking sheets.
>
>Mom's kitchen has your standard size divided stainless sink. Now I miss
>having that big sink! When I made flank steak the other night I could have
>dropped the broiler pan rack it in and soaked it without having to shift it
>around to wash it.
>
>My ideal kitchen would have a large but divided sink. I sometimes think I'd
>like a third, deeper sink for stock pots and taller items. Not as critical,
>but hey, I can dream
>
>If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen sinks?
>If you're thinking about it would you change your kitchen sinks? How and
>why?
>
>Jill

I have a deep divided sink. But washing and draining in a large sink
is not a problem. You can do what my mother and MIL always did. A
dish pan on one side a dish rack in the other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 31 Aug 2008 10:00:26a, jmcquown told us...

> They must have had more counter space than in my apartment kitchen.
> There's barely room for a cutting board, forget about separate dish pan
> and racks on either side of the sink. Still, I find I like that kitchen
> better than having to walk across a large kitchen (and around the pretty
> useless island) at Mom's house

I also think islands with "nothing" in them are pretty useless except for
working large expanses of dough.

The island in my kitchen contains the kitchen sink, dishwasher, and a bank
of drawers that I use for flatware, drawer size kitchen implements, and
additinal storage. I've found it very practical. There is also enough
room on either side of the sink for food prep, including my knife blocks,
cutting boards, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
13hrs 51mins
What color is a chameleon on a mirror?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote

> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:00:26 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:

>>They must have had more counter space than in my apartment kitchen.
>>There's
>>barely room for a cutting board, forget about separate dish pan and racks
>>on
>>either side of the sink. Still, I find I like that kitchen better than
>>having to walk across a large kitchen (and around the pretty useless
>>island)
>>at Mom's house

> The dish pan and racks go IN the sink. Mother had about 12" on each
> side of the sink. MIL didn't have much more.

That's how I use mine. A small dish drainer fits just right into the
smaller sink. The larger and deeper sink is the business end. Just
wash whatever it is and put it into the smaller sink side to drain.
Works for me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:30:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba) who are
>>> undergoing kitchen remodels. My question for you is, did you change
>>> your sinks?
>>>
>>> I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. It's just one
>>> big sink, not a divided sink. No place to set a dish drainer in one
>>> side. Since counter space in that kitchen is very limited
>>> Jill

>> I have a deep divided sink. But washing and draining in a large sink
>> is not a problem. You can do what my mother and MIL always did. A
>> dish pan on one side a dish rack in the other.

>They must have had more counter space than in my apartment kitchen. There's
>barely room for a cutting board, forget about separate dish pan and racks on
>either side of the sink. Still, I find I like that kitchen better than
>having to walk across a large kitchen (and around the pretty useless island)
>at Mom's house
>
>Jill

The dish pan and racks go IN the sink. Mother had about 12" on each
side of the sink. MIL didn't have much more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "The Cook" > wrote
>
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:00:26 -0400, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:

>>> They must have had more counter space than in my apartment kitchen.
>>> There's
>>> barely room for a cutting board, forget about separate dish pan and
>>> racks on
>>> either side of the sink. Still, I find I like that kitchen better
>>> than having to walk across a large kitchen (and around the pretty
>>> useless island)
>>> at Mom's house

>> The dish pan and racks go IN the sink. Mother had about 12" on each
>> side of the sink. MIL didn't have much more.

> That's how I use mine. A small dish drainer fits just right into the
> smaller sink. The larger and deeper sink is the business end. Just
> wash whatever it is and put it into the smaller sink side to drain.
> Works for me.
>
> nancy

I guess you've missed the point. I don't have two sinks in my kitchen. If
I put even a small dish drainer in it there wouldn't be room to wash the
dishes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "The Cook" > wrote
>>
>>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:00:26 -0400, "jmcquown"

>>> The dish pan and racks go IN the sink. Mother had about 12" on each
>>> side of the sink. MIL didn't have much more.

>> That's how I use mine. A small dish drainer fits just right into the
>> smaller sink. The larger and deeper sink is the business end. Just
>> wash whatever it is and put it into the smaller sink side to drain.
>> Works for me.

> I guess you've missed the point. I don't have two sinks in my kitchen.
> If I put even a small dish drainer in it there wouldn't be room to wash
> the dishes.

I guess I should have trimmed you out, I was responding to Susan.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> I detest divided sinks, all you have is two small sinks. �One of the
> first things I did when I moved here is to get rid of that divided
> sink and install the deepest single sink I could find.

> I agree. �The only way I'd have a divided sink is a huge one with a full
> sized sink on one side, smaller on the other side. Should be deep also.

I can't imagine someone who lives alone needs a dish drain board...
what, a plate or two, a glass, and a spoon, fork, and knife, and
sometimes a smallish pot... me, I just lay out a dish towel as a drain
board, when I'm done washing my few dishes (my cats use most of the
dishes, six small bowls), I use that towel to wipe the few remaining
drops, then put em away and hang up the towel to dry (usually
outdoors), it's clean so I can reuse it. A single person needs no
drain board except a few times a year, and then there are all styles
of minis, even folding.

This type spans the sink, and is adjustable:
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Over%252...209709&sr=8-12

I like this one, about any kitchen has room for this, stainless, looks
like it'll last a lifetime, might get it for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Compact...209709&sr=8-11

My big Elkay sink, 8" deep, with a high spout faucet that's removable
and converts to a shower... makes washing large cookware easy... as
you can see I have room for a dish rack but I don't own one:
http://i34.tinypic.com/258yse9.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > I detest divided sinks, all you have is two small sinks. �One of the
> > first things I did when I moved here is to get rid of that divided
> > sink and install the deepest single sink I could find. �For draining
> > there are all sorts of thingies that will span the sink front to back,
> > and ever I need a small sink I simply use my Rubbermaid dish pan.

> � �Divided sinks are great if the sinks are the right size. Mine has a
> large one, big enough for the biggest oven shelf.tray/roaster to lie in
> it flat, and a small deep one, useful as a rinsing sink or draining or
> washing small things. Plus a drainer. Then all round the whole thing is
> a wider space which also drains
> .http://www.frankekitchensinks.co.uk/...0&ItemID=1241#
>
> � �Getting the right sink (s) for your needs ,placing them right both
> for working at, and in relation to the cooker and prep spaces, is about
> the most important part of planning a kitchen �imo.
>
> � �Janet

Ahahaha... show it to us in your kitchen, not at a web site... sheesh,
anyone can do that.

Check out my new cars, I got a pair! <G>

http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/...swf/index.html

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 31 Aug 2008 02:47:25p, Janet Baraclough told us...

> Divided sinks are great if the sinks are the right size. Mine has a
> large one, big enough for the biggest oven shelf.tray/roaster to lie in
> it flat, and a small deep one, useful as a rinsing sink or draining or
> washing small things. Plus a drainer. Then all round the whole thing is
> a wider space which also drains
> .http://www.frankekitchensinks.co.uk/...0&ItemID=1241#
>
> Getting the right sink (s) for your needs ,placing them right both
> for working at, and in relation to the cooker and prep spaces, is about
> the most important part of planning a kitchen imo.

I really like that sink, Janet. I'm happy with the one I have, but I like
the drainer on yours.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
8hrs 20mins
He who does not prevent a crime when
he can, encourages it.[Seneca]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> > I detest divided sinks, all you have is two small sinks. �One of the
>> > first things I did when I moved here is to get rid of that divided
>> > sink and install the deepest single sink I could find. �For draining
>> > there are all sorts of thingies that will span the sink front to back,
>> > and ever I need a small sink I simply use my Rubbermaid dish pan.

>> � �Divided sinks are great if the sinks are the right size. Mine has a
>> large one, big enough for the biggest oven shelf.tray/roaster to lie in
>> it flat, and a small deep one, useful as a rinsing sink or draining or
>> washing small things. Plus a drainer. Then all round the whole thing is
>> a wider space which also drains
>> .http://www.frankekitchensinks.co.uk/...0&ItemID=1241#
>>
>> � �Getting the right sink (s) for your needs ,placing them right both
>> for working at, and in relation to the cooker and prep spaces, is about
>> the most important part of planning a kitchen �imo.
>>
>> � �Janet

> Ahahaha... show it to us in your kitchen, not at a web site... sheesh,
> anyone can do that.
>
> Check out my new cars, I got a pair! <G>

Yes indeed! You do have a pair. Worthless, but a pair no less.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 6:43�pm, TFM� > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > Janet Baraclough wrote:

> >> Divided sinks are great if the sinks are the right size. Mine has a
> >> large one, big enough for the biggest oven shelf.tray/roaster to lie in
> >> it flat, and a small deep one, useful as a rinsing sink or draining or
> >> washing small things. Plus a drainer. Then all round the whole thing is
> >> a wider space which also drains
> >> .http://www.frankekitchensinks.co.uk/...0&ItemID=1241#

> >> Getting the right sink (s) for your needs ,placing them right both
> >> for working at, and in relation to the cooker and prep spaces, is about
> >> the most important part of planning a kitchen imo.

> >> Janet

> > Ahahaha... show it to us in your kitchen, not at a web site... sheesh,
> > anyone can do that.

> > Check out my new cars, I got a pair! <G>

> Yes indeed! �You do have a pair. �

Lookit who's braggin'... little loser doesn't own a pot to **** in...
he's gotta schneak out to fast food joints to use their terlits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> On Aug 31, 6:43�pm, TFM� > wrote:

>> > Ahahaha... show it to us in your kitchen, not at a web site... sheesh,
>> > anyone can do that.

>> > Check out my new cars, I got a pair! <G>

>> Yes indeed! �You do have a pair. �

> Lookit who's braggin'... little loser doesn't own a pot to **** in...
> he's gotta schneak out to fast food joints to use their terlits.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a roll of shitpaper today.

BTW, get that ****in' cat off your food prep area and get yourself out of
the closet!

TFM® - I love cats, but they have boundaries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "The Cook" > wrote

>>> That's how I use mine. A small dish drainer fits just right into
>>> the smaller sink. The larger and deeper sink is the business end. Just
>>> wash whatever it is and put it into the smaller sink side to
>>> drain. Works for me.

>> I guess you've missed the point. I don't have two sinks in my
>> kitchen. If I put even a small dish drainer in it there wouldn't be
>> room to wash the dishes.

> I guess I should have trimmed you out, I was responding to Susan.
>
> nancy

I know, I was replying to both of you In my single sink, it's large
enough to wash a 13X9 pan but I wouldn't be able to if I put a dish drainer
in it. And I wish I had both that sink and a smaller sink here at Mom's,
side by side, rather than two smallish divided sinks. Guess I want the best
of both worlds!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Shaw wrote:

> Pics: http://www.panix.com/~mshaw/images/kitchen/

Beautiful! I hope you are enjoying it.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 08:53:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>In my single sink, it's large
>enough to wash a 13X9 pan but I wouldn't be able to if I put a dish drainer
>in it. And I wish I had both that sink and a smaller sink here at Mom's,
>side by side, rather than two smallish divided sinks. Guess I want the best
>of both worlds!

Let's say it's a perfect world, your mom will let you make the change
etc. etc. Does she have the counter space to do it?

Personally, I've never wanted or needed two sinks. I have a single
large one in the kitchen and downstairs, I have a double sink with a
regular large and a tiny small where the garbage disposal is located
(I'm built on a hill, so the back yard is one story down). That
divided sink drives me crazy. I just can't get used to the
configuration.

I don't use a dish drainer either. I use the type of mat that bar
keeps use.
http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?...cat=276&page=1

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen
> sinks? If you're thinking about it would you change your kitchen sinks?
> How and why?

We recently had our kitchen totally remodeled, and one of the changes I
looked forward to the most was upgrading our sink. Our old sink was very
shallow and not very wide (always had problems washing extra-large
pots/pans, filling our large Brita pitcher, etc.), the faucet was leaky and
the sprayer didn't work, and there was no garbage disposal. Because we
ordered Silestone for our countertops, we got a free sink. From a selection
of 4-5 different styles, we chose a large, deep, single-bowl, stainless
steel one, with a very nice, tall, single handle pullout faucet. We didn't
go with the divided sink because we didn't want to sacrifice space needed
for larger items. We've been absolutely thrilled with our choice. (I
actually *enjoy* washing dishes in the new sink!

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 08:53:56 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> In my single sink, it's large
>> enough to wash a 13X9 pan but I wouldn't be able to if I put a dish
>> drainer in it. And I wish I had both that sink and a smaller sink
>> here at Mom's, side by side, rather than two smallish divided sinks.
>> Guess I want the best of both worlds!

> Let's say it's a perfect world, your mom will let you make the change
> etc. etc. Does she have the counter space to do it?

Yes, she has the counter space. The whole kitchen is poorly designed.
Since she doesn't like to cook it really didn't matter to her. It bugs me.
There's an island in the middle, and while it does provide extra counter
space and a cabinet it mostly gets in the way. It would be nice if there
was a cook-top in it; there's plenty of room for counter space off to one
side. But that's not going to happen, either.

> I don't use a dish drainer either. I use the type of mat that bar
> keeps use.
> http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?...cat=276&page=1

That's fine for glassware and pots. What about plates? Wash & dry each one
as you go? I try to do that but it doesn't always work out that way. A
drainer is nice to have.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 12:22*pm, Mark Shaw > wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
> > If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen sinks?

> Yes. *I got an undermounted two-tub stainless steel sink, and
> only recently realized that one of the tubs is large enough to
> accomodate a sheet pan. *That's a nice feature.

Is it big enough for a half-sheet restaurant pan (about 12 x 17
inches)?
Not apparent from the picture, but if so that's a wonderful feature.
I've got
a fairly ordinary single-bowl sink in my kitchen, but it won't fit
my half-sheet pans. If/when I remodel, that will be something that I
look for.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 09:05:51 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>That's fine for glassware and pots. What about plates? Wash & dry each one
>as you go? I try to do that but it doesn't always work out that way. A
>drainer is nice to have.

I have a dishwasher for that.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

> I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. It's just
> one big sink, not a divided sink. No place to set a dish
> drainer in one side. Since counter space in that kitchen is
> very limited it was a problem. But then, I was used to setting
> dishes on the other side of the sink in a dish rack to dry.

I must live a sheltered life, but I've never encountered placing
a dish drainer in a sink, as opposed to on the counter next
to the sink.

Not only would it need to be a very large sink before you could place
a reasonable-sized dish drainer in it, but there would be less
air-flow around the drainer and I would expect things to not
dry as fast. Also, such an arrangement is at more risk of having
detergent splatter onto the dishes being dried, if you are
washing dishes and filling a drainer in the same sink.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> I must live a sheltered life, but I've never encountered placing
> a dish drainer in a sink, as opposed to on the counter next
> to the sink.
>
> Not only would it need to be a very large sink before you could place
> a reasonable-sized dish drainer in it, but there would be less
> air-flow around the drainer and I would expect things to not
> dry as fast. Also, such an arrangement is at more risk of having
> detergent splatter onto the dishes being dried, if you are
> washing dishes and filling a drainer in the same sink.

Nope, they're great. I have a double sink. The dishes don't fall around,
it doesn't make your counter cluttered, the water drains right down the
sink... I can't think of a negative to them!? I keep one in my sink for
the odd piece I hand wash, the rest of my dishes go into the dishwasher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> I must live a sheltered life, but I've never encountered placing
>> a dish drainer in a sink, as opposed to on the counter next
>> to the sink.

>> Not only would it need to be a very large sink before you could place
>> a reasonable-sized dish drainer in it, but there would be less
>> air-flow around the drainer and I would expect things to not
>> dry as fast. Also, such an arrangement is at more risk of having
>> detergent splatter onto the dishes being dried, if you are
>> washing dishes and filling a drainer in the same sink.

>Nope, they're great. I have a double sink. The dishes don't fall around,
>it doesn't make your counter cluttered, the water drains right down the
>sink... I can't think of a negative to them!? I keep one in my sink for
>the odd piece I hand wash, the rest of my dishes go into the dishwasher.

Aha. So, they're useful if you mostly use a dishwasher. That
makes sense.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 05:14:16 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

>Goomba > wrote:
>
>>Steve Pope wrote:

>>> I must live a sheltered life, but I've never encountered placing
>>> a dish drainer in a sink, as opposed to on the counter next
>>> to the sink.

>>> Not only would it need to be a very large sink before you could place
>>> a reasonable-sized dish drainer in it, but there would be less
>>> air-flow around the drainer and I would expect things to not
>>> dry as fast. Also, such an arrangement is at more risk of having
>>> detergent splatter onto the dishes being dried, if you are
>>> washing dishes and filling a drainer in the same sink.

>>Nope, they're great. I have a double sink. The dishes don't fall around,
>>it doesn't make your counter cluttered, the water drains right down the
>>sink... I can't think of a negative to them!? I keep one in my sink for
>>the odd piece I hand wash, the rest of my dishes go into the dishwasher.

>Aha. So, they're useful if you mostly use a dishwasher. That
>makes sense.

My MIL did not have a dishwasher. Dish pan and drainer both in the
sink. Of course she dried her dishes by hand and put them away. The
drainer was just temporary storage.

Not all kitchens can accommodate a drainer on the counter. My sink
has a fairly high rim on it which would cause the water in the drain
tray to backwards, not into the sink.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 02 Sep 2008 10:14:16p, Steve Pope told us...

> Goomba > wrote:

>>Nope, they're great. I have a double sink. The dishes don't fall around,
>>it doesn't make your counter cluttered, the water drains right down the
>>sink... I can't think of a negative to them!? I keep one in my sink for
>>the odd piece I hand wash, the rest of my dishes go into the dishwasher.

> Aha. So, they're useful if you mostly use a dishwasher. That
> makes sense.

That's exactly how I use one. I have a double SS sink with a SS dish
drainer in one side. It's a catch-all for either a few hand-washed items
or for items headed for the dishwasher while I'm cooking. I prefer that to
stacking dirty items and risking anything toppling over or breaking.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 18hrs 41mins
Careful. We don't want to learn from
this. --Calvin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 04:23:38a, The Cook told us...

> My MIL did not have a dishwasher. Dish pan and drainer both in the
> sink. Of course she dried her dishes by hand and put them away. The
> drainer was just temporary storage.

That's what my mother did, even though she had a dishwasher. She used that
arrangement for things she preferred to wash by hand.

> Not all kitchens can accommodate a drainer on the counter. My sink
> has a fairly high rim on it which would cause the water in the drain
> tray to backwards, not into the sink.

True... Most cast iron sinks that are not under-mounted have much to high
a rim for a drain tray on the counter to be effective.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 18hrs 36mins
The reason they call it the American
Dream is because you have to be asleep
to believe it. --George Carlin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook > wrote:

>My MIL did not have a dishwasher. Dish pan and drainer both in the
>sink. Of course she dried her dishes by hand and put them away. The
>drainer was just temporary storage.

>Not all kitchens can accommodate a drainer on the counter. My sink
>has a fairly high rim on it which would cause the water in the drain
>tray to backwards, not into the sink.

Right. Hand-drying would allow faster turnaround and make
a small-ish drainer, that might fit in a sink, more
practical.

I hadn't thought about the sink-rim problem. It could
probably be addressed by propping up a drainer mat on the
rim and sloped towards the sink.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 10:30*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I know of at least two people here (Michael and Goomba) who are undergoing
> kitchen remodels. *My question for you is, did you change your sinks?
>
> I thought I hated the kitchen sink in my apartment. *It's just one big sink,
> not a divided sink. *No place to set a dish drainer in one side. *Since
> counter space in that kitchen is very limited it was a problem. *But then, I
> was used to setting dishes on the other side of the sink in a dish rack to
> dry. *OTOH, that sink is roomy enough to easily soak 13X9 baking dishes, the
> broiler pan, practically any size baking sheets.
>
> Mom's kitchen has your standard size divided stainless sink. *Now I miss
> having that big sink! *When I made flank steak the other night I could have
> dropped the broiler pan rack it in and soaked it without having to shift it
> around to wash it.
>
> My ideal kitchen would have a large but divided sink. *I sometimes think I'd
> like a third, deeper sink for stock pots and taller items. *Not as critical,
> but hey, I can dream
>
> If you are remodeling or have remodeled, did you change your kitchen sinks?
> If you're thinking about it would you change your kitchen sinks? *How and
> why?
>
> Jill

I changed mine two years ago with the remodel - I hate stainless steel
sinks; mine is Biscuit color porcelain, divided, and quite a bit
larger than the contractor's special that was in the original
kitchen. I love it. I can fit a 9 x 13 pan in it - but not the
broiler pan - OTOH, the broiler pan for my Whirlpool stove is pretty
much non-stick (speckled enamel finish, cleans like a dream). I love
my sink.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

>I changed mine two years ago with the remodel - I hate stainless steel
>sinks; mine is Biscuit color porcelain, divided, and quite a bit
>larger than the contractor's special that was in the original
>kitchen. I love it.

I think that's a *marvelous* choice. (laugh)

nancy