Nancy Young

Default Kitchen sink

My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.

I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.

What do you think?

nancy
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
>What do you think?

No, the wax will come off with hot water and soap.

Prolly the porcelin is scratched from years of cleaning with Brillo or
just abrasion from pots and pans.

If you really like the sink, you might be able to get it re-coated, or
DIY with a kit.
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
>What do you think?

No, the wax will come off with hot water and soap.

Prolly the porcelin is scratched from years of cleaning with Brillo or
just abrasion from pots and pans.

If you really like the sink, you might be able to get it re-coated, or
DIY with a kit.
PENMART01

>Nancy Young
>
>My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
>Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
>dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
>I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
>What do you think?

Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks become
PORous (from scrubbing). If your porcelain sink becomes easily stained then
it's a good indicator that it's time for a new one. . . personally I much
prefer a quality stainless steel sink. http://www.elkayusa.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Nancy Young
>
>My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
>Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
>dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
>I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
>What do you think?

Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks become
PORous (from scrubbing). If your porcelain sink becomes easily stained then
it's a good indicator that it's time for a new one. . . personally I much
prefer a quality stainless steel sink. http://www.elkayusa.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> >paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
> >
> >What do you think?

> No, the wax will come off with hot water and soap.
>
> Prolly the porcelin is scratched from years of cleaning with Brillo or
> just abrasion from pots and pans.

Nah, that's not true. It gets dirty on the bottom because I should
keep after it more. I do not use brillo and I have a rack on it so
the pots and pans never reach it.

The dishwasher back flushes into it, charming as that sounds.

It's not an old sink.

> If you really like the sink, you might be able to get it re-coated, or
> DIY with a kit.

No, not on your life, it does not need that, perhaps I overstated my
case. I do appreciate that you took the time to respond, thank you.

nancy
Nancy Young

PENMART01 wrote:

> >Nancy Young
> >
> >My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> >Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> >dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.

> Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks become
> PORous (from scrubbing).

Hence the question about the wax.

> personally I much
> prefer a quality stainless steel sink.

To each their own, I despise stainless steel in the kitchen.

nancy
Nancy Young

PENMART01 wrote:

> >Nancy Young
> >
> >My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> >Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> >dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.

> Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks become
> PORous (from scrubbing).

Hence the question about the wax.

> personally I much
> prefer a quality stainless steel sink.

To each their own, I despise stainless steel in the kitchen.

nancy
limey

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?
>
> nancy

Why not give it a try, Nancy? I'm not sure the waxing would hold up, given
the strong and soiled dishwater water but hey! what the heck. Nothing
ventured, etc. I don't know how old your sink is, but I do feel porcelain
eventually dulls from frequent cleaning.

Dora

limey

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?
>
> nancy

Why not give it a try, Nancy? I'm not sure the waxing would hold up, given
the strong and soiled dishwater water but hey! what the heck. Nothing
ventured, etc. I don't know how old your sink is, but I do feel porcelain
eventually dulls from frequent cleaning.

Dora

Curly Sue

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:39:01 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
>Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
>dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
>I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
>What do you think?
>
>nancy

I just use Soft Scrub or the Chlorox spray cleaner every couple of
weeks. Unfortunately there were some rust stains that won't come
off.

What you do now is probably less work than waxing or sealing would be!

I have a tray that goes on the bottom of my sink, like you do. But I
love the model I have so much that I scoured the www to find it online
after BBB and LNT stopped selling them. I bought a lifetime supply
(estimating 10 yr of use) because I can't bear the thought of being
without.

What's with your dishwasher emptying into the sink? Is that some
incorrect plumbing? I've never heard of that. Although one of my
friends says that in his new house there is some open pipe thingy
coming out of the counter related to the dishwasher.

Did you ever get a new stove?

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

>My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
>Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
>dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
>I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
>What do you think?
>
>nancy

I just use Soft Scrub or the Chlorox spray cleaner every couple of
weeks. Unfortunately there were some rust stains that won't come
off.

What you do now is probably less work than waxing or sealing would be!

I have a tray that goes on the bottom of my sink, like you do. But I
love the model I have so much that I scoured the www to find it online
after BBB and LNT stopped selling them. I bought a lifetime supply
(estimating 10 yr of use) because I can't bear the thought of being
without.

What's with your dishwasher emptying into the sink? Is that some
incorrect plumbing? I've never heard of that. Although one of my
friends says that in his new house there is some open pipe thingy
coming out of the counter related to the dishwasher.

Did you ever get a new stove?

Sue(tm)
Nancy Young

limey wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> > paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.

> Why not give it a try, Nancy?

I was hoping someone had a better idea. After all, I have counter
wax and 'marble' sink wax, why not wax for the kitchen sink?

> I'm not sure the waxing would hold up, given
> the strong and soiled dishwater water but hey! what the heck. Nothing
> ventured, etc. I don't know how old your sink is, but I do feel porcelain
> eventually dulls from frequent cleaning.

You ain't been to my house, no? (laughing) Frequent cleaning is
not a word that comes to mind. It's clean enough. I forbid you
to eat off the floor.

nancy (thinking clear coat wax)
Nancy Young

limey wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> > paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.

> Why not give it a try, Nancy?

I was hoping someone had a better idea. After all, I have counter
wax and 'marble' sink wax, why not wax for the kitchen sink?

> I'm not sure the waxing would hold up, given
> the strong and soiled dishwater water but hey! what the heck. Nothing
> ventured, etc. I don't know how old your sink is, but I do feel porcelain
> eventually dulls from frequent cleaning.

You ain't been to my house, no? (laughing) Frequent cleaning is
not a word that comes to mind. It's clean enough. I forbid you
to eat off the floor.

nancy (thinking clear coat wax)
Nancy Young

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:39:01 -0400, Nancy Young >

> >My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> >Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> >dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
> >
> >I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> >paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.

> weeks. Unfortunately there were some rust stains that won't come
> off.

Maybe you need that CLR or something like that.

> I have a tray that goes on the bottom of my sink, like you do. But I
> love the model I have so much that I scoured the www to find it online
> after BBB and LNT stopped selling them. I bought a lifetime supply
> (estimating 10 yr of use) because I can't bear the thought of being
> without.

Gawd, the sound of dishes/whatever hitting the sink makes my skin
crawl.

> What's with your dishwasher emptying into the sink? Is that some
> incorrect plumbing? I've never heard of that.

It's normal. More than once I've been told, don't plug up the sink
while the dishwasher is running. Once by an installer, and once by
a construction supervisor on my walkthrough at my new townhouse.
(not here, a different place)

Think about it. The dishwasher has to WHOOSH out the water faster
than the drain can take it. If it doesn't, it's backing up on your
supposedly clean dishes. All the dishwashers I've ever had needed
the overflow room.

Ever watch your washing machine? The older houses have a sink.
It doesn't drain instantly, it backs up a little. Newer places
have a larger drain pipe to handle the extra flow.

> Although one of my
> friends says that in his new house there is some open pipe thingy
> coming out of the counter related to the dishwasher.

Well, I never heard of that. Makes sense. Doesn't sound very
attractive.

> Did you ever get a new stove?

You know, I haven't used it much (you know, being summer and all!),
but it's behaving. As I said, I can live without an oven, I've done
it before, but I'll just wait until it really breaks. I'll let you
know. Work on the car this month, you know how that goes. I'm oddly
fond of paying off my bills every month.

nancy

Nancy Young

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:39:01 -0400, Nancy Young >

> >My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> >Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> >dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
> >
> >I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> >paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.

> weeks. Unfortunately there were some rust stains that won't come
> off.

Maybe you need that CLR or something like that.

> I have a tray that goes on the bottom of my sink, like you do. But I
> love the model I have so much that I scoured the www to find it online
> after BBB and LNT stopped selling them. I bought a lifetime supply
> (estimating 10 yr of use) because I can't bear the thought of being
> without.

Gawd, the sound of dishes/whatever hitting the sink makes my skin
crawl.

> What's with your dishwasher emptying into the sink? Is that some
> incorrect plumbing? I've never heard of that.

It's normal. More than once I've been told, don't plug up the sink
while the dishwasher is running. Once by an installer, and once by
a construction supervisor on my walkthrough at my new townhouse.
(not here, a different place)

Think about it. The dishwasher has to WHOOSH out the water faster
than the drain can take it. If it doesn't, it's backing up on your
supposedly clean dishes. All the dishwashers I've ever had needed
the overflow room.

Ever watch your washing machine? The older houses have a sink.
It doesn't drain instantly, it backs up a little. Newer places
have a larger drain pipe to handle the extra flow.

> Although one of my
> friends says that in his new house there is some open pipe thingy
> coming out of the counter related to the dishwasher.

Well, I never heard of that. Makes sense. Doesn't sound very
attractive.

> Did you ever get a new stove?

You know, I haven't used it much (you know, being summer and all!),
but it's behaving. As I said, I can live without an oven, I've done
it before, but I'll just wait until it really breaks. I'll let you
know. Work on the car this month, you know how that goes. I'm oddly
fond of paying off my bills every month.

nancy
Michael Odom

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:40:53 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
>>
>> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>> >I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>> >paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>> >
>> >What do you think?

>> No, the wax will come off with hot water and soap.
>>
>> Prolly the porcelin is scratched from years of cleaning with Brillo or
>> just abrasion from pots and pans.

>Nah, that's not true. It gets dirty on the bottom because I should
>keep after it more. I do not use brillo and I have a rack on it so
>the pots and pans never reach it.
>
>The dishwasher back flushes into it, charming as that sounds.
>
>It's not an old sink.
>
>> If you really like the sink, you might be able to get it re-coated, or
>> DIY with a kit.

>No, not on your life, it does not need that, perhaps I overstated my
>case. I do appreciate that you took the time to respond, thank you.
>
>nancy

In our last house we had a new synthetic material sink that began to
stain in the bottom after a few months. It turned out that the woman
we hired to clean our house twice a month was using an abrasive
cleanser like Comet on it, which had micro-scratched the surface,
allowing stains to set in. We switched to something like Soft Scrub
and the problem seemed to diminish.

I wonder if you could polish the sink with an auto polishing compound
to make it less porous on the surface, blocking out stains?

I wonder if what I just wrote makes any sense, also.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

wrote:

>Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
>>
>> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>> >I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
>> >paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>> >
>> >What do you think?

>> No, the wax will come off with hot water and soap.
>>
>> Prolly the porcelin is scratched from years of cleaning with Brillo or
>> just abrasion from pots and pans.

>Nah, that's not true. It gets dirty on the bottom because I should
>keep after it more. I do not use brillo and I have a rack on it so
>the pots and pans never reach it.
>
>The dishwasher back flushes into it, charming as that sounds.
>
>It's not an old sink.
>
>> If you really like the sink, you might be able to get it re-coated, or
>> DIY with a kit.

>No, not on your life, it does not need that, perhaps I overstated my
>case. I do appreciate that you took the time to respond, thank you.
>
>nancy

In our last house we had a new synthetic material sink that began to
stain in the bottom after a few months. It turned out that the woman
we hired to clean our house twice a month was using an abrasive
cleanser like Comet on it, which had micro-scratched the surface,
allowing stains to set in. We switched to something like Soft Scrub
and the problem seemed to diminish.

I wonder if you could polish the sink with an auto polishing compound
to make it less porous on the surface, blocking out stains?

I wonder if what I just wrote makes any sense, also.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Mr. Wizard

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?
>
> nancy

See if there is a company in your area called Gnu-Tub.
Its' a franchise business and they're all over the place.
They have a treatment that will end that problem
and it is very reasonably priced.

Mr. Wizard

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?
>
> nancy

See if there is a company in your area called Gnu-Tub.
Its' a franchise business and they're all over the place.
They have a treatment that will end that problem
and it is very reasonably priced.

Michael Odom

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:42:36 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>>
>> >Nancy Young
>> >
>> >My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
>> >Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
>> >dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.

>> Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks become
>> PORous (from scrubbing).

>Hence the question about the wax.
>
>> personally I much
>> prefer a quality stainless steel sink.

>To each their own, I despise stainless steel in the kitchen.

If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
will not be absorbant at all. Like I said in my other post, the
problem you're having may be due to an abraded surface which allows
stains to adhere. Polishing with a very fine grit might help.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>>
>> >Nancy Young
>> >
>> >My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
>> >Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
>> >dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.

>> Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks become
>> PORous (from scrubbing).

>Hence the question about the wax.
>
>> personally I much
>> prefer a quality stainless steel sink.

>To each their own, I despise stainless steel in the kitchen.

If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
will not be absorbant at all. Like I said in my other post, the
problem you're having may be due to an abraded surface which allows
stains to adhere. Polishing with a very fine grit might help.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Curly Sue

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:49:39 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>> What's with your dishwasher emptying into the sink? Is that some
>> incorrect plumbing? I've never heard of that.

>It's normal. More than once I've been told, don't plug up the sink
>while the dishwasher is running. Once by an installer, and once by
>a construction supervisor on my walkthrough at my new townhouse.
>(not here, a different place)
>
>Think about it. The dishwasher has to WHOOSH out the water faster
>than the drain can take it. If it doesn't, it's backing up on your
>supposedly clean dishes. All the dishwashers I've ever had needed
>the overflow room.

Yes, I can see not plugging up the sink because it does need the open
drain as a vent. But maybe I'm misunderstanding- your dishwasher
drains into the plumbing under the sink, but the dirty water doesn't
come up into the actual sink?

>Ever watch your washing machine? The older houses have a sink.
>It doesn't drain instantly, it backs up a little. Newer places
>have a larger drain pipe to handle the extra flow.

I have that arrangement for my washing machine. :>

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

>> What's with your dishwasher emptying into the sink? Is that some
>> incorrect plumbing? I've never heard of that.

>It's normal. More than once I've been told, don't plug up the sink
>while the dishwasher is running. Once by an installer, and once by
>a construction supervisor on my walkthrough at my new townhouse.
>(not here, a different place)
>
>Think about it. The dishwasher has to WHOOSH out the water faster
>than the drain can take it. If it doesn't, it's backing up on your
>supposedly clean dishes. All the dishwashers I've ever had needed
>the overflow room.

Yes, I can see not plugging up the sink because it does need the open
drain as a vent. But maybe I'm misunderstanding- your dishwasher
drains into the plumbing under the sink, but the dirty water doesn't
come up into the actual sink?

>Ever watch your washing machine? The older houses have a sink.
>It doesn't drain instantly, it backs up a little. Newer places
>have a larger drain pipe to handle the extra flow.

I have that arrangement for my washing machine. :>

Sue(tm)
Nancy Young

Michael Odom wrote:

> If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
> will not be absorbant at all. Like I said in my other post, the
> problem you're having may be due to an abraded surface which allows
> stains to adhere. Polishing with a very fine grit might help.

It's over cast iron, I was told the double sink weighed well over
200 pounds. I did not test this as I don't have a scale. But, it's
heavy.

It's a Koehler sink. I want to say that I'm not really having a
problem, I apologize to all that I made it sound as if I was. All
I thought was, do you think waxing it will keep it cleaner longer.

There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.

nancy

Nancy Young

Michael Odom wrote:

> If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
> will not be absorbant at all. Like I said in my other post, the
> problem you're having may be due to an abraded surface which allows
> stains to adhere. Polishing with a very fine grit might help.

It's over cast iron, I was told the double sink weighed well over
200 pounds. I did not test this as I don't have a scale. But, it's
heavy.

It's a Koehler sink. I want to say that I'm not really having a
problem, I apologize to all that I made it sound as if I was. All
I thought was, do you think waxing it will keep it cleaner longer.

There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.

nancy
PENMART01

Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks

>become
>>> PORous (from scrubbing).

>>Hence the question about the wax.
>>
>>> personally I much
>>> prefer a quality stainless steel sink.

>>To each their own, I despise stainless steel in the kitchen.
>>

>If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
>will not be absorbant at all.

Once the fired surface of porcelain is abraded, scratched, or it's vitrified
surface otherwise violated it then is porous, same as when the surface of
ceramic tile or china dishes is abraded... polishing won't help as porcelain is
not homogenous all the way through like glass (porcelain iis fired in layers),
in fact any attempt at polishing will only make things worse. If it's a
valuable/antique porcelainized cast iron or vitrious china sink I'd strongly
recommend refininishing, the new methods actually produce a better surface than
the original. If it's an ordinary porcelain on steel sink then replace it,
those are cheapo crap.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Um, they don't call it PORcelain for nothing... eventually those sinks

>become
>>> PORous (from scrubbing).

>>Hence the question about the wax.
>>
>>> personally I much
>>> prefer a quality stainless steel sink.

>>To each their own, I despise stainless steel in the kitchen.
>>

>If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
>will not be absorbant at all.

Once the fired surface of porcelain is abraded, scratched, or it's vitrified
surface otherwise violated it then is porous, same as when the surface of
ceramic tile or china dishes is abraded... polishing won't help as porcelain is
not homogenous all the way through like glass (porcelain iis fired in layers),
in fact any attempt at polishing will only make things worse. If it's a
valuable/antique porcelainized cast iron or vitrious china sink I'd strongly
recommend refininishing, the new methods actually produce a better surface than
the original. If it's an ordinary porcelain on steel sink then replace it,
those are cheapo crap.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
SportKite1

>From: Nancy Young

>There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
>that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
>Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
>dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.

I'm wondering is how "safe", meaning ingestible, would wax of any sort be in
the event you do use your sink to wash cooking/eating utensils.

Just wondering.
Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Nancy Young

>There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
>that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
>Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
>dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.

I'm wondering is how "safe", meaning ingestible, would wax of any sort be in
the event you do use your sink to wash cooking/eating utensils.

Just wondering.
Ellen

PENMART01

>Nancy Young
>
>It's over cast iron, I was told the double sink weighed well over
>200 pounds. I did not test this as I don't have a scale. But, it's
>heavy.
>
>It's a Koehler sink. I want to say that I'm not really having a
>problem, I apologize to all that I made it sound as if I was. All
>I thought was, do you think waxing it will keep it cleaner longer.
>
>There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
>that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
>Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
>dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.
>
>nancy

Koehler makes a fairly decent porcelainized cast iron sink but they are not
impervious to all things, they need to be properly cared for from day one.
Should have gotten more than ten years from the finish, but if one is abusive
then...

I'd contact Koehler and ask what they recommend for renewing the sink's
surface... and also request a Care Manual.

Btw, permitting your dishwasher to back up into your sink is a big no-no... the
dishwashing compound will etch a sink's surface (porcelain or stainless). Even
if you install a brand new sink it will become etched in short order. There is
absolutely no reason whatsoever for a dishwasher to back up into a sink, yours
is installed *incorrectly*... call a licensed plumber.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?
>
> nancy

Honestly? I think you'll just create a mess. Wax of any kind is not
particularly compatible with hot, soapy water. Of course, it'll look
great after you wax it until you begin washing dishes in it again.

Given those circumstances, I would bleach it and be happy with bright
white and dull! <g>

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?
>
> nancy

Honestly? I think you'll just create a mess. Wax of any kind is not
particularly compatible with hot, soapy water. Of course, it'll look
great after you wax it until you begin washing dishes in it again.

Given those circumstances, I would bleach it and be happy with bright
white and dull! <g>

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?
>
> nancy

Honestly? I think you'll just create a mess. Wax of any kind is not
particularly compatible with hot, soapy water. Of course, it'll look
great after you wax it until you begin washing dishes in it again.

Given those circumstances, I would bleach it and be happy with bright
white and dull! <g>

Wayne
Michael Odom

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:17:17 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>Michael Odom wrote:
>>
>> If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
>> will not be absorbant at all. Like I said in my other post, the
>> problem you're having may be due to an abraded surface which allows
>> stains to adhere. Polishing with a very fine grit might help.

>It's over cast iron, I was told the double sink weighed well over
>200 pounds. I did not test this as I don't have a scale. But, it's
>heavy.
>
>It's a Koehler sink. I want to say that I'm not really having a
>problem, I apologize to all that I made it sound as if I was. All
>I thought was, do you think waxing it will keep it cleaner longer.
>
>There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
>that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
>Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
>dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.
>
>nancy

I don't think waxing is the answer, and I was the one who used the
word problem, not you. No apologies, please!

The Gnu Sink (or whatever) service mention in Mr. Wizard's post might
be worth a look. If I'm not mistaken they will be set up for
polishing. Other than that, I'd just bleach the puppy when it gets
ugly enough to make me want to.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Michael Odom

wrote:

>Michael Odom wrote:
>>
>> If it's really porcelain, then it's been fired to a vitreous state and
>> will not be absorbant at all. Like I said in my other post, the
>> problem you're having may be due to an abraded surface which allows
>> stains to adhere. Polishing with a very fine grit might help.

>It's over cast iron, I was told the double sink weighed well over
>200 pounds. I did not test this as I don't have a scale. But, it's
>heavy.
>
>It's a Koehler sink. I want to say that I'm not really having a
>problem, I apologize to all that I made it sound as if I was. All
>I thought was, do you think waxing it will keep it cleaner longer.
>
>There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
>that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
>Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
>dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.
>
>nancy

I don't think waxing is the answer, and I was the one who used the
word problem, not you. No apologies, please!

The Gnu Sink (or whatever) service mention in Mr. Wizard's post might
be worth a look. If I'm not mistaken they will be set up for
polishing. Other than that, I'd just bleach the puppy when it gets
ugly enough to make me want to.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
PENMART01

(SportKite1)
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: 19 Aug 2004 21:48:44 GMT
>

>>From: Nancy Young

>>There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
>>that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
>>Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
>>dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.

>I'm wondering is how "safe", meaning ingestible, would wax of any sort be in
>the event you do use your sink to wash cooking/eating utensils.
>
>Just wondering.

Wax is a natural substance... you can eat all the carnauba and beeswax you want
with no ill effects. Maybe you're thinking auto finish protectants, like
simoniz... those kinds are blends that contain petroleum distillates, and the
modern protectants are polymers that bind to teh modern auto finishes, contain
no wax whatsoever, they'd slide right off the porcelain... I'd not use those.
In any event dishwashing compounds will make short work of removing whatever
wax one chooses.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

(SportKite1)
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: 19 Aug 2004 21:48:44 GMT
>

>>From: Nancy Young

>>There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's maybe 10 years old, if
>>that. It's *fine* ... I just wondered if people waxed their sink.
>>Just, dumping coffee and soda in it every day, along with the
>>dishwasher thing, it adds up. Waxing it seemed like a good idea.

>I'm wondering is how "safe", meaning ingestible, would wax of any sort be in
>the event you do use your sink to wash cooking/eating utensils.
>
>Just wondering.

Wax is a natural substance... you can eat all the carnauba and beeswax you want
with no ill effects. Maybe you're thinking auto finish protectants, like
simoniz... those kinds are blends that contain petroleum distillates, and the
modern protectants are polymers that bind to teh modern auto finishes, contain
no wax whatsoever, they'd slide right off the porcelain... I'd not use those.
In any event dishwashing compounds will make short work of removing whatever
wax one chooses.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dave Smith

Nancy Young wrote:

> My porcelain ? kitchen sink gets dirty, then I have to scrub it.
> Of course. Once in a while I'll put in a sinkful of hot water,
> dish detergent and some bleach and give it the old soakaroonie.
>
> I think I should give it a coat of wax. Like, the old fashioned
> paste wax we used on our cars. To protect the finish.
>
> What do you think?

Enamel is a glossy substance to begin with, so waxing it is likely to
only be a temporary fix. You may have a built up of minerals on it that
are trapping dirt and grime. You might try something like CLR to wipe
away that stain and get back to the enamel.

We had a stain developing in the sink in our second bathroom. I was
accused of having cleaned paint brushes in it, and to be honest, it
really did look like it could have from doing something like that. I
tried abrasive cleaners and chlorine, at different times of course.
When I realized it might be a mineral buildup I tried CLR. It cleaned
it in seconds and stayed clean for almost a year before it started to
stain again. Our water is very hard.

There are services out there that will re-glaze enamel. Depending on
the age and quality of your sink, it may be easier to scrap it and
install a new one.
Dave Smith