Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to stop the leak under the kitchen sink?

In article >,
says...

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:10:33 +0000, nidaarose
> > wrote:
>

> > I just unclogged the kitchen sink...
> > There was blockage in the plastic pipe so I undid the ring and scooped
> > it out. NOW my problem is that the brass pipe right below the sink basin
> > is leaking. The pipe is sliding up and down and the ring seems to be
> > tight. Do I need a sealant or have I made the problem worse. If I wrench
> > off the ring and re-tighten it will that do...

> Welcome to the wild world of home repair. Call a plumber, sounds like
> you need one.

Before calling plumber, investigate. Pull the ring, look for a washer,
inspect the washer. Sometimes when a pipe is loosened the washer splits
and won't ever seal again. It's maybe a 50 cent part if your hardware
store has one. Otherwise it's 5 bucks or so for a replacement for the
whole plastic assembly including the washers. Either way, it's a lot
cheaper than a plumber.