Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Coca-Cola

http://tinyurl.com/4tekkp8

The secret recipe of Coke has been hidden and locked down for 125 years.
But apparently, not anymore. This American Life says they've found the
ingredients that make up the delicious bubbly cola and have revealed it to
our delight.

The story starts with John Pemberton, a Civil War veteran who's credited
with inventing Coca-Cola. His original recipe was written down in a recipe
book of various ointments and medicines that was passed down from
generation to generation.

A photograph of that recipe, from that very recipe book, was taken in the
Feb. 18, 1979, edition of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution and only
recently came to light when Ira Glass from This American Life stumbled
upon it. Glass tracked down other people who claimed to have discovered
the recipe as well and though they didn't match up exactly, they were so
strikingly similar that Glass concluded that this recipe was the original.
Here it is:

The recipe:
Fluid extract of Coca: 3 drams USP
Citric acid: 3 oz
Caffeine: 1 oz
Sugar: 30 (unclear quantity)
Water: 2.5 gal
Lime juice: 2 pints, 1 quart
Vanilla: 1 oz
Caramel: 1.5 oz or more for color

The secret 7X flavor (use 2 oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Coriander: 5 drops
Neroli: 10 drops
Cinnamon: 10 drops

Coke has become infamous in guarding their secret recipe with tales of the
recipe being under 24 hour surveillance, Coca-Cola executives only knowing
half the formula or that the two people who know the recipe can never fly
together. It's added to the allure of Coke, for sure, but there's also
some truth to the that. When Asa Candler, an early Coke President, bought
the original formula from Pemberton in 1887, he was so paranoid about
people stealing the recipe that he ordered that the recipe could never be
written down again. He also removed all labels from the ingredient bottles
and went through company mail to see if anyone was snitching.

Truth be told though, it's impossible to fully replicate Coke's recipe
because there's one ingredient only Coca-Cola can get: fluid extract of
coca (which is coca leaves stripped of cocaine). Only one factory can
process those leaves and only Coca-Cola has a special deal with the DEA
that allows them to use it.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 4:32*pm, "I'm back." >
wrote:
> [...]
> and went through company mail to see if anyone was snitching.
>
> Truth be told though, it's impossible to fully replicate Coke's recipe
> because there's one ingredient only Coca-Cola can get: fluid extract of
> coca (which is coca leaves stripped of cocaine). Only one factory can
> process those leaves and only Coca-Cola has a special deal with the DEA
> that allows them to use it.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania
>
> "As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
> and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
> we are.
>
> We are Queenslanders.
>
> We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.
>
> We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."

That's the version with cocaine in it.

The recipe has been changed.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back. wrote:

> The secret recipe of Coke has been hidden and locked down for 125 years.
> But apparently, not anymore. This American Life says they've found the
> ingredients that make up the delicious bubbly cola and have revealed it to
> our delight.

The recipe was published in a sort of biography of the Coca Cola
company. I read the biography back about 1998. It's been out for a
long time. In the book it's put simply - If you have a century and many
billions of dollars of marketing you may well be able to build a well
recognized brand using that recipe. After all, someone did exactly that
once before. Anyone have a few billion to spare?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote in news:e1b20de4-08e6-43e8-9309-
:

> On Feb 15, 4:32*pm, "I'm back." >
> wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4tekkp8

>> The secret recipe of Coke has been hidden and locked down for 125

years.

>> Truth be told though, it's impossible to fully replicate Coke's recipe
>> because there's one ingredient only Coca-Cola can get: fluid extract of
>> coca (which is coca leaves stripped of cocaine).

> That's the version with cocaine in it.

There's no cocaine in it. "Coca leaves *stripped* of cocaine"

> The recipe has been changed.

This is the original recipe. Didn't you read the post or look at the
tinyurl above?

It shows a picture of the original recipe as it was written in Pembertons
book.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote in
:

> I'm back. wrote:
>>
>> The secret recipe of Coke has been hidden and locked down for 125
>> years. But apparently, not anymore. This American Life says they've
>> found the ingredients that make up the delicious bubbly cola and have
>> revealed it to our delight.

> The recipe was published in a sort of biography of the Coca Cola
> company. I read the biography back about 1998. It's been out for a
> long time. In the book it's put simply - If you have a century and many
> billions of dollars of marketing you may well be able to build a well
> recognized brand using that recipe. After all, someone did exactly that
> once before. Anyone have a few billion to spare?

How many you need?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/02/2011 6:28 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> The secret recipe of Coke has been hidden and locked down for 125 years.
>> But apparently, not anymore. This American Life says they've found the
>> ingredients that make up the delicious bubbly cola and have revealed it to
>> our delight.

> The recipe was published in a sort of biography of the Coca Cola
> company. I read the biography back about 1998. It's been out for a
> long time. In the book it's put simply - If you have a century and many
> billions of dollars of marketing you may well be able to build a well
> recognized brand using that recipe. After all, someone did exactly that
> once before. Anyone have a few billion to spare?

It doesn't really matter. It's popularity has a lot to do with it's
advertising. Just look at what happened to their attempt back in the 80s
to increase it's market share by introducing a new formula. The came up
with something that tasted more like Pepsi, it's big competitor. In
blind taste tests, people preferred it. Both Coke and Pepsi drinkers
liked it best.

When they rolled out New Coke, people rebelled and insisted that they
bring back their old Coke. While New Coke failed as a product, it
inadvertently turned out to be a marketing miracle for Coke. They
brought back their same old product, called it Coke Classic, and sales
increased dramatically.... even though blind tastes tastes showed that
people like the new Coke. go figger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coca-Cola

"l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 15-Feb-2011, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> I'm back. wrote:
>>>
>>> The secret recipe of Coke has been hidden and locked down for 125 years.
>>>
>>> But apparently, not anymore. This American Life says they've found the
>>> ingredients that make up the delicious bubbly cola and have revealed it
>>> our delight.

>> The recipe was published in a sort of biography of the Coca Cola
>> company. I read the biography back about 1998. It's been out for a
>> long time. In the book it's put simply - If you have a century and many
>> billions of dollars of marketing you may well be able to build a well
>> recognized brand using that recipe. After all, someone did exactly that
>> once before. Anyone have a few billion to spare?

> And what This American Life found was a newspaper article from 1979
> purporting to contain the original recipe. Finding a 32 year-old newspaper
> article doesn't sound as impressive. Regardless, it was an interesting
> show, just not an earth-shattering discovery.

My understanding there is a hidden ingredient that is not found on the soda
pop labels and that is SALT. The powers that be do not advertise this and
exempt from label laws in the US. Info from the lecture on "Sugar: The
bitter truth" on you tube.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=dBnniua6-oM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 5:51*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 15/02/2011 6:28 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> >> The secret recipe of Coke has been hidden and locked down for 125 years.
> >> But apparently, not anymore. This American Life says they've found the
> >> ingredients that make up the delicious bubbly cola and have revealed it to
> >> our delight.

> > The recipe was published in a sort of biography of the Coca Cola
> > company. *I read the biography back about 1998. *It's been out for a
> > long time. *In the book it's put simply - If you have a century and many
> > billions of dollars of marketing you may well be able to build a well
> > recognized brand using that recipe. *After all, someone did exactly that
> > once before. *Anyone have a few billion to spare?

> It doesn't really matter. It's popularity has a lot to do with it's
> advertising. Just look at what happened to their attempt back in the 80s
> to increase it's market share by introducing a new formula. *The came up
> with something that tasted more like Pepsi, it's big competitor. *In
> blind taste tests, people preferred it. Both Coke and Pepsi drinkers
> liked it best.
>
> When they rolled out New Coke, people rebelled and insisted that they
> bring back their old Coke. While New Coke failed as a product, it
> inadvertently turned out to be a marketing miracle for Coke. *They
> brought back their same old product, called it Coke Classic, and sales
> increased dramatically.... even though blind tastes tastes showed that
> people like the new Coke. go figger.

I still insist that Old Coke never came back after the change failed.
The only thing that came back was the old can design. Coca-Cola hasn't
been original Coca-Cola for a long, long time now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms > wrote:

>I still insist that Old Coke never came back after the change failed.
>The only thing that came back was the old can design. Coca-Cola hasn't
>been original Coca-Cola for a long, long time now.

My guess is they have gradually reduced the amount of coca flavoring.
There just isn't enough production -- they can only use what's leftover
from the pharmaceutical industry. Products like diet coke, Cherry coke
etc. don't include it at all. "New" coke had less of it, or possibly none.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 9:35*pm, Christopher Helms > wrote:

> > > The recipe was published in a sort of biography of the Coca Cola
> > > company. *I read the biography back about 1998. *It's been out for a
> > > long time. *In the book it's put simply - If you have a century and many
> > > billions of dollars of marketing you may well be able to build a well
> > > recognized brand using that recipe. *After all, someone did exactly that
> > > once before. *Anyone have a few billion to spare?

> > It doesn't really matter. It's popularity has a lot to do with it's
> > advertising. Just look at what happened to their attempt back in the 80s
> > to increase it's market share by introducing a new formula. *The came up
> > with something that tasted more like Pepsi, it's big competitor. *In
> > blind taste tests, people preferred it. Both Coke and Pepsi drinkers
> > liked it best.

> > When they rolled out New Coke, people rebelled and insisted that they
> > bring back their old Coke. While New Coke failed as a product, it
> > inadvertently turned out to be a marketing miracle for Coke. *They
> > brought back their same old product, called it Coke Classic, and sales
> > increased dramatically.... even though blind tastes tastes showed that
> > people like the new Coke. go figger.

> I still insist that Old Coke never came back after the change failed.
> The only thing that came back was the old can design. Coca-Cola hasn't
> been original Coca-Cola for a long, long time now.

I agree. I've thought that ever since the change. It never was the
same again after that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> When they rolled out New Coke, people rebelled and insisted that they
>> bring back their old Coke. While New Coke failed as a product, it
>> inadvertently turned out to be a marketing miracle for Coke. *They
>> brought back their same old product, called it Coke Classic, and sales
>> increased dramatically.... even though blind tastes tastes showed that
>> people like the new Coke. go figger.

The "Pepsi Challenge" advertizing campaign was comparing a shot glass
sized portion side by side. Pepsi is more sweet and less tart. Coca
Cola is less sweet and more tart. I think in small quantities most
people prefer sweet in small quantites. As the quantity increases I
think more and more perfer tart. So Pepsi wins in tiny portions, Coke
in large portions.

> I still insist that Old Coke never came back after the change failed.
> The only thing that came back was the old can design. Coca-Cola hasn't
> been original Coca-Cola for a long, long time now.

I figure that's also when they switched from cane sugar to HFCS.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Christopher Helms wrote:
> > Dave Smith > wrote:
> >
> >> When they rolled out New Coke, people rebelled and insisted that they
> >> bring back their old Coke. While New Coke failed as a product, it
> >> inadvertently turned out to be a marketing miracle for Coke. *They
> >> brought back their same old product, called it Coke Classic, and sales
> >> increased dramatically.... even though blind tastes tastes showed that
> >> people like the new Coke. go figger.

> The "Pepsi Challenge" advertizing campaign was comparing a shot glass
> sized portion side by side. Pepsi is more sweet and less tart. Coca
> Cola is less sweet and more tart. I think in small quantities most
> people prefer sweet in small quantites. As the quantity increases I
> think more and more perfer tart. So Pepsi wins in tiny portions, Coke
> in large portions.

As a matter of trivia, John Sculley, then Vice President of USA sales
and marketing for Pepsi (and later President of the company), was once
pressured by a reporter into taking the Pepsi Challenge. To his dismay,
he picked Coke.

> > I still insist that Old Coke never came back after the change failed.
> > The only thing that came back was the old can design. Coca-Cola hasn't
> > been original Coca-Cola for a long, long time now.

> I figure that's also when they switched from cane sugar to HFCS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Captain Peter Swallows lied again:

> Coke has become infamous in guarding their secret recipe with tales of the
> recipe being under 24 hour surveillance, Coca-Cola executives only knowing
> half the formula or that the two people who know the recipe can never fly
> together.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp

You forgot to include, "Send this to everyone you know and you could be
eligible to win a MILLION DOLLARS!"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel wrote:

> For a long time, Coca-Cola bought in Québec had a much more pronounced
> herbal taste than Coca-Cola bought in Ontario. As for the US, as my son
> put it, over there it tastes like ****.

There's an old Bloom County comic strip in which two characters are debating
whether to have a Coke or a Pepsi. They both quote some of the advertising
campaigns of the time, and then conclude that they don't want either one,
because both taste like malted battery acid.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> The "Pepsi Challenge" advertizing campaign was comparing a shot glass
> sized portion side by side. *Pepsi is more sweet and less tart. *Coca
> Cola is less sweet and more tart. *I think in small quantities most
> people prefer sweet in small quantites. *As the quantity increases I
> think more and more perfer tart. *So Pepsi wins in tiny portions, Coke
> in large portions.

That may be true, chemically or whatever, but to me, Coke is way too
sweet, and Pepsi is nice and tart. I only drink diet Pepsi caffeine-
free, probably once or twice a year. Soda isn't anything I ever keep
on hand.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> Christopher Helms > wrote:
>
>> I still insist that Old Coke never came back after the change failed.
>> The only thing that came back was the old can design. Coca-Cola hasn't
>> been original Coca-Cola for a long, long time now.

That depends on how original you mean. The recipe evolved over the
years. One reason for the switch from Old Coke to New Coke was
supposedly to switch from cane sugar to HFCS because of the price
difference in the US. I think Coke Classic was close to the previous
recipe except with HFCS.

> Someone once told me they sold the old Coke recipe to RC. I don't
> know if that's true, but I do prefer RC to both Coke and Pepsi.

I taste the vanilla very clearly in RC and Diet Rite. They must use a
lot more vanilla than either Coke or Pepsi. Less than Vanilla Coke but
a lot more than regular.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 4:53*pm, Nad R > wrote:

> My understanding there is a hidden ingredient that is not found on the soda
> pop labels and that is SALT. The powers that be do not advertise this and
> exempt from label laws in the US. Info from the lecture on "Sugar: The
> bitter truth" on you tube.
>
> http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?xl=xl_blazer&...

Can of Diet Coke I'm looking at says it has 40mg of sodium -- if this
is hidden it's hidden like Poe's Purloined Letter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 7:35*pm, Christopher Helms > wrote:

> > > The recipe was published in a sort of biography of the Coca Cola
> > > company. *I read the biography back about 1998. *It's been out for a
> > > long time. *In the book it's put simply - If you have a century and many
> > > billions of dollars of marketing you may well be able to build a well
> > > recognized brand using that recipe. *After all, someone did exactly that
> > > once before. *Anyone have a few billion to spare?

> > It doesn't really matter. It's popularity has a lot to do with it's
> > advertising. Just look at what happened to their attempt back in the 80s
> > to increase it's market share by introducing a new formula. *The came up
> > with something that tasted more like Pepsi, it's big competitor. *In
> > blind taste tests, people preferred it. Both Coke and Pepsi drinkers
> > liked it best.

> > When they rolled out New Coke, people rebelled and insisted that they
> > bring back their old Coke. While New Coke failed as a product, it
> > inadvertently turned out to be a marketing miracle for Coke. *They
> > brought back their same old product, called it Coke Classic, and sales
> > increased dramatically.... even though blind tastes tastes showed that
> > people like the new Coke. go figger.

> I still insist that Old Coke never came back after the change failed.
> The only thing that came back was the old can design. Coca-Cola hasn't
> been original Coca-Cola for a long, long time now.

Try Canadian Coke, which will be available for Passover in the US
soon. Today's US Coke has HFCS.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 7:31*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> > The "Pepsi Challenge" advertizing campaign was comparing a shot glass
> > sized portion side by side. *Pepsi is more sweet and less tart. *Coca
> > Cola is less sweet and more tart. *I think in small quantities most
> > people prefer sweet in small quantites. *As the quantity increases I
> > think more and more perfer tart. *So Pepsi wins in tiny portions, Coke
> > in large portions.

> That may be true, chemically or whatever, but to me, Coke is way too
> sweet, and Pepsi is nice and tart. *I only drink diet Pepsi caffeine-
> free, probably once or twice a year. *Soda isn't anything I ever keep
> on hand.

Per 8 oz serving, both US Coke and US Pepsi contain 100 calories Coke
has 27 g of "sugars," while Pepsi has 28. Canadian Coke, which uses
the 4% bigger 250 ml serving, contains 10% more calories and grams of
"sugars." (110 cal and 30g.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On Feb 15, 4:53*pm, Nad R > wrote:
>

> > My understanding there is a hidden ingredient that is not found on the soda
> > pop labels and that is SALT. The powers that be do not advertise this and
> > exempt from label laws in the US. Info from the lecture on "Sugar: The
> > bitter truth" on you tube.
> >
> > http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?xl=xl_blazer&...

The video, by Robert Lustig, is 1.5 hours. I watched another video of
his about sugar and learned a lot, but wasn't interested to see another
just to verify this claim about salt.

> Can of Diet Coke I'm looking at says it has 40mg of sodium -- if this
> is hidden it's hidden like Poe's Purloined Letter.

Two kinds of things have to be listed on the label: the ingredients and
certain substances, if they are present. One of those substances is
sodium.

Sodium is not generally an ingredient of soda. Water generally is.
Water contains sodium, usually.

The USDA database shows water:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

For 8 ounces of water,tap,well there are 12mg of sodium. 40mg of sodium
sounds reasonable for a can of Coke made out of water with no added
sodium.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA