paula

Default coca -cola

not a food, but this is after all the best group. A couple of
months ago i heard/read of a new drink brought out by the coke
firm.Tonight on the news i heard that over half a million bottles of
it has been removed from the supermarket/shop shelves because one of
the ingredients could be a potential health risk.Now i wonder why such
a big concern as coca cola would make such a blunder as to promote
something that is not 100% safe, surely they try and test, and try and
test new products.I know the ingredient begins with the letter B but i
cannot remember the name of the drink.( it may have been a "water")
Have any of you in the USA drank of this liquid? and are you still
feeling o.k., Wonder if there are any impendind lawsuits?.
Virginia Tadrzynski

what is the general consensus of the new diet coke with lime? my daughter
said it tastes like pine cleaner (I swear I never gave her pine cleaner to
drink, honest). I tried it and it tasted the way turpentine smells to me.
Any other comments?
-Ginny

Bubbablue

(paula) wrote in message . com>...
> not a food, but this is after all the best group. A couple of
> months ago i heard/read of a new drink brought out by the coke
> firm.Tonight on the news i heard that over half a million bottles of
> it has been removed from the supermarket/shop shelves because one of
> the ingredients could be a potential health risk.

Apparently, when the water is purified using ozone, any naturally
occuring (and safe) bromide is changed to bromate, which is a
carcinogen.

Here's something from
www.rediff.com:

Coca-Cola recalls Dasani bottled water in UK

March 20, 2004 00:23 IST

[Rediff.com] - Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been forced to withdraw
its entire Dasani range of bottled water from British shelves after
detecting illegal levels of Bromate, reports The Times, London.

About 500,000 bottles are being recalled after the bromate levels
exceeded British legal standards. The Food Standards Agency, however,
said there was no 'immediate risk to public health'.

"Coca-Cola, the makers of Dasani, informed the Food Standards Agency
yesterday that some samples of their bottled water product, Dasani,
have been found to contain bromate at higher levels than are legally
permitted in the UK for either bottled or tap water," an FSA
spokeswoman said.

"Coca-Cola has advised the agency that they are immediately
withdrawing the product from sale. This is a sensible measure by the
company as bromate is a chemical that could cause an increased cancer
risk as a result of long-term exposure, although there is no immediate
risk to public health.

"However, the Agency understands that some consumers may choose not to
drink any Dasani they purchased prior to its withdrawal, given the
levels of bromate it contains."

Experts said bromate is produced during the purification process of
water.
Bubbablue

(paula) wrote in message . com>...
> not a food, but this is after all the best group. A couple of
> months ago i heard/read of a new drink brought out by the coke
> firm.Tonight on the news i heard that over half a million bottles of
> it has been removed from the supermarket/shop shelves because one of
> the ingredients could be a potential health risk.

Apparently, when the water is purified using ozone, any naturally
occuring (and safe) bromide is changed to bromate, which is a
carcinogen.

Here's something from
www.rediff.com:

Coca-Cola recalls Dasani bottled water in UK

March 20, 2004 00:23 IST

[Rediff.com] - Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been forced to withdraw
its entire Dasani range of bottled water from British shelves after
detecting illegal levels of Bromate, reports The Times, London.

About 500,000 bottles are being recalled after the bromate levels
exceeded British legal standards. The Food Standards Agency, however,
said there was no 'immediate risk to public health'.

"Coca-Cola, the makers of Dasani, informed the Food Standards Agency
yesterday that some samples of their bottled water product, Dasani,
have been found to contain bromate at higher levels than are legally
permitted in the UK for either bottled or tap water," an FSA
spokeswoman said.

"Coca-Cola has advised the agency that they are immediately
withdrawing the product from sale. This is a sensible measure by the
company as bromate is a chemical that could cause an increased cancer
risk as a result of long-term exposure, although there is no immediate
risk to public health.

"However, the Agency understands that some consumers may choose not to
drink any Dasani they purchased prior to its withdrawal, given the
levels of bromate it contains."

Experts said bromate is produced during the purification process of
water.
John Gaughan

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> what is the general consensus of the new diet coke with lime?

I bought a bottle out of curiosity. I finished it with a little help
from my bottle of Appleton's rum, okay, I mixed it about half and half.
Anyway, it tasted like diet coke mixed with rancid lime. The alcohol
took the rancid edge off, making it palatable (and I got a buzz,
woohoo!). I did try a little bit before mixing the rum in and it was
rather gross, but not so bad I could not finish it.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> what is the general consensus of the new diet coke with lime?

I bought a bottle out of curiosity. I finished it with a little help
from my bottle of Appleton's rum, okay, I mixed it about half and half.
Anyway, it tasted like diet coke mixed with rancid lime. The alcohol
took the rancid edge off, making it palatable (and I got a buzz,
woohoo!). I did try a little bit before mixing the rum in and it was
rather gross, but not so bad I could not finish it.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan

Bubbablue wrote:
> Experts said bromate is produced during the purification process of
> water.

The water is contaminated during the purification process. Got it.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan

Bubbablue wrote:
> Experts said bromate is produced during the purification process of
> water.

The water is contaminated during the purification process. Got it.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Levelwave©

Steve Wertz wrote:

> And:
>
> "The Food Standards Agency, however, said there was no 'immediate
> risk to public health'"
>
> Which mean you won't get cancer until later - when it's too late
> to positively blame Coca-Cola.

To save me the trouble of reading the article - why is it only being
recalled in the UK? Do they purify Dasani differently here in the states?

~john
Levelwave©

Steve Wertz wrote:

> And:
>
> "The Food Standards Agency, however, said there was no 'immediate
> risk to public health'"
>
> Which mean you won't get cancer until later - when it's too late
> to positively blame Coca-Cola.

To save me the trouble of reading the article - why is it only being
recalled in the UK? Do they purify Dasani differently here in the states?

~john

Saerah

paula wrote in message >. ..
>not a food, but this is after all the best group. A couple of
>months ago i heard/read of a new drink brought out by the coke
>firm.Tonight on the news i heard that over half a million bottles of
>it has been removed from the supermarket/shop shelves because one of
>the ingredients could be a potential health risk.Now i wonder why such
>a big concern as coca cola would make such a blunder as to promote
>something that is not 100% safe, surely they try and test, and try and
>test new products.I know the ingredient begins with the letter B but i
>cannot remember the name of the drink.( it may have been a "water")
>Have any of you in the USA drank of this liquid? and are you still
>feeling o.k., Wonder if there are any impendind lawsuits?.

considering that aspartame is in all the diet soda i've seen, i don't think
that they give a shit unless they get caught putting something that doesnt
have a lobby to back it up in soda.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Saerah

paula wrote in message >. ..
>not a food, but this is after all the best group. A couple of
>months ago i heard/read of a new drink brought out by the coke
>firm.Tonight on the news i heard that over half a million bottles of
>it has been removed from the supermarket/shop shelves because one of
>the ingredients could be a potential health risk.Now i wonder why such
>a big concern as coca cola would make such a blunder as to promote
>something that is not 100% safe, surely they try and test, and try and
>test new products.I know the ingredient begins with the letter B but i
>cannot remember the name of the drink.( it may have been a "water")
>Have any of you in the USA drank of this liquid? and are you still
>feeling o.k., Wonder if there are any impendind lawsuits?.

considering that aspartame is in all the diet soda i've seen, i don't think
that they give a shit unless they get caught putting something that doesnt
have a lobby to back it up in soda.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Saerah

Steve Wertz wrote in message ...
>On 20 Mar 2004 00:02:56 GMT, Dan Goodman > wrote:

(paula) wrote in

>>> not a food, but this is after all the best group. A couple of
>>> months ago i heard/read of a new drink brought out by the coke
>>> firm.Tonight on the news i heard that over half a million bottles of
>>> it has been removed from the supermarket/shop shelves because one of
>>> the ingredients could be a potential health risk.Now i wonder why such
>>> a big concern as coca cola would make such a blunder as to promote
>>> something that is not 100% safe, surely they try and test, and try and
>>> test new products.I know the ingredient begins with the letter B but i
>>> cannot remember the name of the drink.( it may have been a "water")
>>> Have any of you in the USA drank of this liquid? and are you still
>>> feeling o.k., Wonder if there are any impendind lawsuits?.
>>>

>>The drink is Dasini, a bottled water. Which turns out to be distilled tap
>>water, though it's marketed to imply (not stated outright) that it comes
>>from upmarket springs.

>It was pulled from the UKK shelves because of high levels of
>bromate.

isn't conventional white flour treated with bromate?

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Saerah

Steve Wertz wrote in message ...
>On 20 Mar 2004 00:02:56 GMT, Dan Goodman > wrote:

(paula) wrote in

>>> not a food, but this is after all the best group. A couple of
>>> months ago i heard/read of a new drink brought out by the coke
>>> firm.Tonight on the news i heard that over half a million bottles of
>>> it has been removed from the supermarket/shop shelves because one of
>>> the ingredients could be a potential health risk.Now i wonder why such
>>> a big concern as coca cola would make such a blunder as to promote
>>> something that is not 100% safe, surely they try and test, and try and
>>> test new products.I know the ingredient begins with the letter B but i
>>> cannot remember the name of the drink.( it may have been a "water")
>>> Have any of you in the USA drank of this liquid? and are you still
>>> feeling o.k., Wonder if there are any impendind lawsuits?.
>>>

>>The drink is Dasini, a bottled water. Which turns out to be distilled tap
>>water, though it's marketed to imply (not stated outright) that it comes
>>from upmarket springs.

>It was pulled from the UKK shelves because of high levels of
>bromate.

isn't conventional white flour treated with bromate?

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Julia Altshuler

Levelwave© wrote:

> To save me the trouble of reading the article - why is it only being
> recalled in the UK? Do they purify Dasani differently here in the states?

Yes. Different laws regarding standards for bottled water.
--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Levelwave© wrote:

> To save me the trouble of reading the article - why is it only being
> recalled in the UK? Do they purify Dasani differently here in the states?

Yes. Different laws regarding standards for bottled water.
--Lia

jmcquown

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> what is the general consensus of the new diet coke with lime? my
> daughter said it tastes like pine cleaner (I swear I never gave her
> pine cleaner to drink, honest). I tried it and it tasted the way
> turpentine smells to me. Any other comments?
> -Ginny

I dunno, but I was horrified to hear Nilsson's classic song cut and used in
a commercial.

Jill

jmcquown

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> what is the general consensus of the new diet coke with lime? my
> daughter said it tastes like pine cleaner (I swear I never gave her
> pine cleaner to drink, honest). I tried it and it tasted the way
> turpentine smells to me. Any other comments?
> -Ginny

I dunno, but I was horrified to hear Nilsson's classic song cut and used in
a commercial.

Jill

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, of
http://extra.newsguy.com said:

>I've always said that people who buy water in plastic bottles got way
>too much money, or are just suckers to companies who want their money
>(or both). THe stiff in those bottles is the same water that comes
>out of your tap, and in some cases, worse because it stagnates, not to
>mention all the chemicals it absorbs from the plastic bottle. Like we
>are seeing with this issue, it looks like whatever they are doing is
>making it worse yet. I have never been able to understand why anyone
>would pay up to $3 for 16 ounces of water in a bottle. Hell, for $3
>you can get hundreds of gallons of water from your tap, for the city
>water bill, or electric for the pump on a well. The only exception to
>this, is when there is a problem with your tap water, and even then,
>you buy it in quantity, not in 16oz bottles.

Actually there's times when it makes sense for me to buy a bottle of
water, that size: when I'm not near a place where I can easily get
tap-water, and am thirsty and not in the mood for something flavoured or
fizzy. IOW: when what I want is water and ordinary tap-water is not an
option. In those situations I'll buy a bottle of water.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
MEow

http://extra.newsguy.com said:

>I've always said that people who buy water in plastic bottles got way
>too much money, or are just suckers to companies who want their money
>(or both). THe stiff in those bottles is the same water that comes
>out of your tap, and in some cases, worse because it stagnates, not to
>mention all the chemicals it absorbs from the plastic bottle. Like we
>are seeing with this issue, it looks like whatever they are doing is
>making it worse yet. I have never been able to understand why anyone
>would pay up to $3 for 16 ounces of water in a bottle. Hell, for $3
>you can get hundreds of gallons of water from your tap, for the city
>water bill, or electric for the pump on a well. The only exception to
>this, is when there is a problem with your tap water, and even then,
>you buy it in quantity, not in 16oz bottles.

Actually there's times when it makes sense for me to buy a bottle of
water, that size: when I'm not near a place where I can easily get
tap-water, and am thirsty and not in the mood for something flavoured or
fizzy. IOW: when what I want is water and ordinary tap-water is not an
option. In those situations I'll buy a bottle of water.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"I wouldn't imagine 2 heads and 3 arms would be very aerodynamically
favorable." Anorak (afdaniain)

Julia Altshuler

What I find frustrating is the tendency, many years old now, to offer
bottled water at a profit in places where I previously could have gotten
tap water. I eat at an inexpensive Brazillian cafeteria downtown. The
place is perfect for lunch since I can serve myself the exact portion
size I want, and they have a balanced meal including a few sorts of
vegetables every day. The price is right so I shouldn't be complaining,
but I can't get tap water there. I pay a ridiculously low price for the
meal ($4.00) and then a buck for water to go with it. For another
example, I used to visit New York city 25 years ago. On a hot day, I
could stop in most businesses, ask for water and get it. Store owners
were kind enough to hand out water to thirsty tourists. Now I feel
compelled to buy it in a bottle. Luckily I can afford it, but the
tightwad in me rebels.

--Lia

Jon Leipzig

"Saerah" > wrote in message news:4

> Steve Wertz wrote in message ...
> >On 20 Mar 2004 00:02:56 GMT, Dan Goodman > wrote:
> >
> (paula) wrote in

> >>The drink is Dasini, a bottled water. Which turns out to be distilled

tap
> >>water, though it's marketed to imply (not stated outright) that it comes
> >>from upmarket springs.

> >It was pulled from the UKK shelves because of high levels of
> >bromate.

> isn't conventional white flour treated with bromate?

Potassium bromate is used to strengthen bread dough. Most likely to be found
in buns, esp- at fast "food" joints.
(lab rats give it a big Thumbs Down)

http://www.cspinet.org/new/bromate.html

Jon Leipzig

"Saerah" > wrote in message news:4

> Steve Wertz wrote in message ...
> >On 20 Mar 2004 00:02:56 GMT, Dan Goodman > wrote:
> >
> (paula) wrote in

> >>The drink is Dasini, a bottled water. Which turns out to be distilled

tap
> >>water, though it's marketed to imply (not stated outright) that it comes
> >>from upmarket springs.

> >It was pulled from the UKK shelves because of high levels of
> >bromate.

> isn't conventional white flour treated with bromate?

Potassium bromate is used to strengthen bread dough. Most likely to be found
in buns, esp- at fast "food" joints.
(lab rats give it a big Thumbs Down)

http://www.cspinet.org/new/bromate.html

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Julia Altshuler of Comcast
Online said:

>What I find frustrating is the tendency, many years old now, to offer
>bottled water at a profit in places where I previously could have gotten
>tap water. I eat at an inexpensive Brazillian cafeteria downtown. The
>place is perfect for lunch since I can serve myself the exact portion
>size I want, and they have a balanced meal including a few sorts of
>vegetables every day. The price is right so I shouldn't be complaining,
>but I can't get tap water there. I pay a ridiculously low price for the
>meal ($4.00) and then a buck for water to go with it. For another
>example, I used to visit New York city 25 years ago. On a hot day, I
>could stop in most businesses, ask for water and get it. Store owners
>were kind enough to hand out water to thirsty tourists. Now I feel
>compelled to buy it in a bottle. Luckily I can afford it, but the
>tightwad in me rebels.

That I can understand. I'd also rather have plain tap-water, when I can
get it. I don't like having to pay a lot for bottled water, but if it's
water I want, and bottled water is the only kind I can get - I buy it,
even if I don't like having to, either. I think we agree entirely on
this.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"I wouldn't imagine 2 heads and 3 arms would be very aerodynamically
favorable." Anorak (afdaniain)

MEow

Online said:

>What I find frustrating is the tendency, many years old now, to offer
>bottled water at a profit in places where I previously could have gotten
>tap water. I eat at an inexpensive Brazillian cafeteria downtown. The
>place is perfect for lunch since I can serve myself the exact portion
>size I want, and they have a balanced meal including a few sorts of
>vegetables every day. The price is right so I shouldn't be complaining,
>but I can't get tap water there. I pay a ridiculously low price for the
>meal ($4.00) and then a buck for water to go with it. For another
>example, I used to visit New York city 25 years ago. On a hot day, I
>could stop in most businesses, ask for water and get it. Store owners
>were kind enough to hand out water to thirsty tourists. Now I feel
>compelled to buy it in a bottle. Luckily I can afford it, but the
>tightwad in me rebels.

That I can understand. I'd also rather have plain tap-water, when I can
get it. I don't like having to pay a lot for bottled water, but if it's
water I want, and bottled water is the only kind I can get - I buy it,
even if I don't like having to, either. I think we agree entirely on
this.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"I wouldn't imagine 2 heads and 3 arms would be very aerodynamically
favorable." Anorak (afdaniain)
Julia Altshuler

MEow wrote:

> That I can understand. I'd also rather have plain tap-water, when I can
> get it. I don't like having to pay a lot for bottled water, but if it's
> water I want, and bottled water is the only kind I can get - I buy it,
> even if I don't like having to, either. I think we agree entirely on
> this.

Yes. Why should I pay $1.00 for a 7-up that I don't want when I can pay
$1.00 for a bottle of water that I do want? Because it bothers me,
that's why! I'm a tightwad! Paying for water, especially in New York
where the tap water tastes good, rubs me wrong, but I got used to it.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

MEow wrote:

> That I can understand. I'd also rather have plain tap-water, when I can
> get it. I don't like having to pay a lot for bottled water, but if it's
> water I want, and bottled water is the only kind I can get - I buy it,
> even if I don't like having to, either. I think we agree entirely on
> this.

Yes. Why should I pay $1.00 for a 7-up that I don't want when I can pay
$1.00 for a bottle of water that I do want? Because it bothers me,
that's why! I'm a tightwad! Paying for water, especially in New York
where the tap water tastes good, rubs me wrong, but I got used to it.

--Lia

Scott

In article >,
"Saerah" > wrote:

> considering that aspartame is in all the diet soda i've seen, i don't think
> that they give a shit unless they get caught putting something that doesnt
> have a lobby to back it up in soda.

IIRC, Pepsi's One uses Splenda (sucralose).

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
"Saerah" > wrote:

> considering that aspartame is in all the diet soda i've seen, i don't think
> that they give a shit unless they get caught putting something that doesnt
> have a lobby to back it up in soda.

IIRC, Pepsi's One uses Splenda (sucralose).

please mail OT responses only

Scott

In article <9ZY6c.46468$J05.360652@attbi_s01>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> What I find frustrating is the tendency, many years old now, to offer
> bottled wate

Similarly, I find it irksome when I go somewhere (either an expensive or
a "trendy" place, ask for water, and they ask me which brand I would
prefer. When I reply "just tap water," they usually get an annoyed look
on their face.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> What I find frustrating is the tendency, many years old now, to offer
> bottled wate

Similarly, I find it irksome when I go somewhere (either an expensive or
a "trendy" place, ask for water, and they ask me which brand I would
prefer. When I reply "just tap water," they usually get an annoyed look
on their face.

please mail OT responses only
Julia Altshuler

Scott wrote:
> Similarly, I find it irksome when I go somewhere (either an expensive or
> a "trendy" place, ask for water, and they ask me which brand I would
> prefer. When I reply "just tap water," they usually get an annoyed look
> on their face.

I know. When asked what I'd like to drink in a restaurant, I usually
ask for plain tap water with no ice. You'd think I'd asked for roast
pureed camel from the looks I get. They invariably get it wrong. I
start asking for plain tap water, with no ice, at room temperature,
straight from the faucet, lemon optional, please I can't stand the cold
on my teeth, but don't boil it and I'm not paying for tea, etc. They
still get it wrong. Maybe I'll ask for roast pureed camel.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Scott wrote:
> Similarly, I find it irksome when I go somewhere (either an expensive or
> a "trendy" place, ask for water, and they ask me which brand I would
> prefer. When I reply "just tap water," they usually get an annoyed look
> on their face.

I know. When asked what I'd like to drink in a restaurant, I usually
ask for plain tap water with no ice. You'd think I'd asked for roast
pureed camel from the looks I get. They invariably get it wrong. I
start asking for plain tap water, with no ice, at room temperature,
straight from the faucet, lemon optional, please I can't stand the cold
on my teeth, but don't boil it and I'm not paying for tea, etc. They
still get it wrong. Maybe I'll ask for roast pureed camel.

--Lia

Scott

In article <xlZ6c.48701$SR1.86037@attbi_s04>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Yes. Why should I pay $1.00 for a 7-up that I don't want when I can pay
> $1.00 for a bottle of water that I do want? Because it bothers me,
> that's why! I'm a tightwad! Paying for water, especially in New York
> where the tap water tastes good, rubs me wrong, but I got used to it.

There's a bit of cruel irony here. My sister-in-law is very much one of
the "oh, only bottled water will do. Drinking tap water? What an odd
idea!!"

She and my brother raised their son (now 5-1/2) with only bottled water
(also fruit juice; I don't know the milk situation), and he's had a TON
of cavities. Had to be intubated when he was 2-1/2 (!!) to have 11
cavities filled. I think there was also a root-canal. He just had some
more work done this past summer.

The dentist believed that a *contributory* factor was that he'd never
had fluoridated tap water.

please mail OT responses only