Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default pressure cooker question

On 2010-12-06, Omelet > wrote:

> Wait for the weight to start rocking. That indicates it is up to
> pressure... that is presuming it's the same as a Presto. :-) I don't
> own a Fagor.

A lot of the newer pressure cookers do not use the rocking weight
design. My PC only allows steam to escape when the maximum pressure
(15lbs) has been exceeded. It's the first of two safety mechanisms
and any escaping steam indicates the pressure TOO high and the heat
needs to be reduced.

I remember my mom's old Presto with the rocking weight. I don't
recall her ever blowing it up, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I do recall, quite vividly, her blowing up our old Okeefe and Merritt
manually lit gas oven more than once, a situation that again concerns
me as our propane stove no longer auto-lights when turned on. I jes
ordered a new igniter part from the manufacturer.

nb