Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brian Christiansen Brian Christiansen is offline

Default pressure cooker question

"sf" > wrote in message

> I have a Fagor and I don't think their booklet is detailed enough for
> pressure cooker beginners. They don't talk enough about the basics.
> I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
> but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?

Would this be possibly what you are looking for:
Begin heating with burner set on high heat. Electric stove users please see
note below. When the steam comes out of the automatic valve for first time,
lower the heat to maintain a gentle, steady stream of steam. At this moment,
the COOKING TIME STARTS. It is recommended that a kitchen timer be used to
monitor the exact cooking time.

That is copied and pasted from the fagor express pressure cooker manual. It
is on page 8 of the manual I found. If you have a differnt model or manual,
where different things might be on different pages, the heading that it is
under is "Cooking Time Control".

According to another passsage in the manual that I found: "Indicator:
Indicates whether there is pressure inside the cooker. As the pressure
cooker heats and pressure builds, the pressure indicator (the yellow tipped
rod, located on top of the lid handle) will raise automatically and there
will be a slight amount of steam coming out of the lid handle." So, at
least, on this model, the steam starting to come out and the yellow button
popping up should happen at the same time (ie, it is the steam that makes
the button pop up).

I don't know if what I found it is exactly the same model or manual that you
have, but if you are interested in a searchable PDF copy of the manual, it
is located he
http://www.fagoramerica.com/content/...s%20manual.pdf

Brian Christiansen

Brian Christiansen