Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pressure cooker question

I have a Fagor and I don't think their booklet is detailed enough for
pressure cooker beginners. They don't talk enough about the basics.
I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:08:49 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:57:51 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
> >but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?

> I don't have my booklet handy, but I do seem to remember them saying
> to wait til the steam was coming out..and to make sure it was a gentle
> stream. I have a Fagor too.

I couldn't find where they talk about that, so if you ever run across
it please email the page number for me so I can find it and highlight
it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:07:35 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> My understanding is that you wait for steam to come out, before you
> start timing.

Okay. Thanks.

> It is supposed to be a lazy stream of steam. Not a
> blast of steam... If it is coming out fast and furious, the heat is
> too high...and it needs to be turned down til the steam is coming out
> slower and more gently.

Aha, thanks for the information! That was going to be a follow up
question because I didn't know how hard the steam should be coming out
either.

> I find once the steam starts coming out, I can turn down the heat til
> it is coming out in a lazy stream. Usually I can pressure cook stuff
> on a fairly low heat.

All right. That's what I did. Thanks.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I have a Fagor and I don't think their booklet is detailed enough for
> pressure cooker beginners. They don't talk enough about the basics.
> I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
> but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?

With my ordinary pressure cooker, timing is supposed to start when the
relief valve pops up AND the pressure regulator jiggles. Does the Fagor
regulator jiggle?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I have a Fagor and I don't think their booklet is detailed enough for
> pressure cooker beginners. They don't talk enough about the basics.
> I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
> but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?

Would this be possibly what you are looking for:
Begin heating with burner set on high heat. Electric stove users please see
note below. When the steam comes out of the automatic valve for first time,
lower the heat to maintain a gentle, steady stream of steam. At this moment,
the COOKING TIME STARTS. It is recommended that a kitchen timer be used to
monitor the exact cooking time.

That is copied and pasted from the fagor express pressure cooker manual. It
is on page 8 of the manual I found. If you have a differnt model or manual,
where different things might be on different pages, the heading that it is
under is "Cooking Time Control".

According to another passsage in the manual that I found: "Indicator:
Indicates whether there is pressure inside the cooker. As the pressure
cooker heats and pressure builds, the pressure indicator (the yellow tipped
rod, located on top of the lid handle) will raise automatically and there
will be a slight amount of steam coming out of the lid handle." So, at
least, on this model, the steam starting to come out and the yellow button
popping up should happen at the same time (ie, it is the steam that makes
the button pop up).

I don't know if what I found it is exactly the same model or manual that you
have, but if you are interested in a searchable PDF copy of the manual, it
is located he
http://www.fagoramerica.com/content/...s%20manual.pdf

Brian Christiansen

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:35:04 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Does the Fagor regulator jiggle?

Unfortunately, no. I used to have pressure cookers like yours... not
that I was an expert or anything like that, but at least it was fairly
obvious when to start timing.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 20:50:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> The instructional video that came with mine shows you exactly how to do
> it and when to start timing.

You got a video with it? Lucky you!

> The instruction manual tells when to
> start timing, too, in uppercase letters, even. The recipe boolet that
> came with mine also tells when to start timing, but not in uppercase
> letters. "-)

What page is it on? I've looked and looked but didn't see those
instructions. I need to highlight that part so I won't miss it again.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:12:41 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
> wrote:

> Would this be possibly what you are looking for:
> Begin heating with burner set on high heat. Electric stove users please see
> note below. When the steam comes out of the automatic valve for first time,
> lower the heat to maintain a gentle, steady stream of steam. At this moment,
> the COOKING TIME STARTS. It is recommended that a kitchen timer be used to
> monitor the exact cooking time.
>
> That is copied and pasted from the fagor express pressure cooker manual. It
> is on page 8 of the manual I found. If you have a differnt model or manual,
> where different things might be on different pages, the heading that it is
> under is "Cooking Time Control".
>
> According to another passsage in the manual that I found: "Indicator:
> Indicates whether there is pressure inside the cooker. As the pressure
> cooker heats and pressure builds, the pressure indicator (the yellow tipped
> rod, located on top of the lid handle) will raise automatically and there
> will be a slight amount of steam coming out of the lid handle." So, at
> least, on this model, the steam starting to come out and the yellow button
> popping up should happen at the same time (ie, it is the steam that makes
> the button pop up).
>
> I don't know if what I found it is exactly the same model or manual that you
> have, but if you are interested in a searchable PDF copy of the manual, it
> is located he
> http://www.fagoramerica.com/content/...s%20manual.pdf

Found and highlighted it. Thank you - thank you - thank you! I must
have stopped reading at "electric stove users" because I have gas.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Found and highlighted it. Thank you - thank you - thank you! I must
> have stopped reading at "electric stove users" because I have gas.

You're welcome - I just thought maybe a different pair of eyes looking at
the same (or similar) manual might find it. Though, actually, my "eyes" did
not find, I used the search function in the PDF reader.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-12-06, Omelet > wrote:

> Wait for the weight to start rocking. That indicates it is up to
> pressure... that is presuming it's the same as a Presto. :-) I don't
> own a Fagor.

A lot of the newer pressure cookers do not use the rocking weight
design. My PC only allows steam to escape when the maximum pressure
(15lbs) has been exceeded. It's the first of two safety mechanisms
and any escaping steam indicates the pressure TOO high and the heat
needs to be reduced.

I remember my mom's old Presto with the rocking weight. I don't
recall her ever blowing it up, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I do recall, quite vividly, her blowing up our old Okeefe and Merritt
manually lit gas oven more than once, a situation that again concerns
me as our propane stove no longer auto-lights when turned on. I jes
ordered a new igniter part from the manufacturer.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 00:48:28 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
> wrote:
>
> "sf" > wrote in message
> > Found and highlighted it. Thank you - thank you - thank you! I must
> > have stopped reading at "electric stove users" because I have gas.
> >

> You're welcome - I just thought maybe a different pair of eyes looking at
> the same (or similar) manual might find it. Though, actually, my "eyes" did
> not find, I used the search function in the PDF reader.

I'm still stuck in the past and use physical manuals, so it didn't
even occur to me to use that method. Thanks again!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.