Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Crockpot Use

We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.

I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
it but only for ONE thing.

What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 11:27*am, gtr > wrote:
> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago. *
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

I use my crockpot for anything I want to cook, perhaps frozen, that I
don't want to spend time watching, turning, or basting. It's also
great for less than tender cuts of meat and will make them fall apart
tender when done. I don't use it on a 'regular' basis but do use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010041109275094031-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

It is fabulous for steaming veggies as I don't have to monitor it.
The last thing I steamed in it were some half dehydrated artichokes I
got for cheap. 2 bucks for 6 of them. :-) They were going to toss them
that morning (which is why I love to shop at 07:00) but I offered to buy
them if they marked them down.

Rehydrated them to perfection... It's also good for carrots and other
root veggies.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010041109275094031-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Define "regular."
I use mine for caramelizing onions and I use it for keeping cider hot.
Maybe once a year for the former and once every 5 years for the latter.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2010041109275094031-xxx@yyyzzz...
> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?
> --
> Thank you and have a nice day.

Braised short ribs
Stews
Soups
Right now - rainy day faux pulled pork

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote in message news:2010041109275094031-xxx@yyyzzz...
> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago. We
> used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used it
> but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Stews, soups, roasts... It's dependent on what you want to make and whether
you enjoy hovering over food.

Here are three recipes I make regularly.

Pork Stew

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. OO (Olive Oil)
2 lb. Pork Tenderloin, cubed
4 large carrots, cut into 1" pieces
9 "baby" Yukon potatoes, cut in 1/2
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup acorn squash, seeded and chopped
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram (fresh has more flavor)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (or a pizza parlor packet is a
convenient amt.)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup brown gravy
(1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups water, boiling)

Method:
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork cubes. In a large
bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for broth and gravy. Pour into
crockpot.
For gravy, use pan that pork was browned in. Melt butter. Mix in flour.
Pour in water, stir and reduce.
Combine both broth and gravy, pouring over items already in crockpot.
Cover; cook on Low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-5 hours. Serve with a heavy
bread, peasant's loaf or asiago. Serves six.

Beef Stew

Ingredients:
2 lb. beef, cubed
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbs. OO (Olive Oil)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. Sweet Paprika
4 lg. carrots, chopped/sliced
8 baby new potatoes, halved
1 sm. white onion, sliced into wedges (1/8)
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup brown gravy
(1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups water, boiling)

Method:
Mix flour, pepper, paprika, salt into Ziploc(tm) bag. Dredge meat,
patting extra flour mixture off cubes. In a skillet, heat oil over
medium-high heat; add garlic into skillet to start carmelization, set
dredged meat cubes into pan after 3-4 minutes and brown. Beware burning the
garlic.
In crockpot, layer vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onion, celery). Add
broth. Start crockpot to cooking level desired (low or high) while browning
meat and preparing gravy.
When meat has browned completely, remove skillet from heat and add meat
into crockpot. Return skillet to heat, add butter to drippings. Add flour
and stir in until roux the appropriate shade of brown. Add water and reduce.
Pour over mix in crockpot when done. Low heat should cook 9-11 hours; high
heat should cook 4-6 hours. Serve with fresh cornbread, hot sour dough or
sweet French bread. Serves 6.

ERNESTO'S MEXICAN FOOD CHILE VERDE
Source: Ernesto's Mexican Food, Sacramento, California

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds lean pork roast (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
10 green tomatillos
2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons canola oil

METHOD:
Place most of the ingredients in blender (except pork) and puree.
In a small pot, brown cubed pork with three tablespoons of canola oil.
Make sure to brown all sides evenly. This should take about ten minutes.
Remove all excess oil from meat. Stir in pureed ingredients and let
simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Cooking time depends on size of cube and how
much the meat cooked while browning.
Taste for flavor; for more spiciness, add jalapenos.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" wrote

> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago. We
> used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used it
> but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Anything and everything but bread making. Currerntly 1 has a whole chicken
with chilied tomatoes. Lovely spicy soft perfect moist chicken.

I use mine almost constantly and have 3 (different sizes for different
needs). Slow cooked southern BBQ pork shoulder, classic brunswick stews and
variations more locally seen, carrot creame bisque, apple sauce, eddo potato
whisk, just lots of stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 9:27*am, gtr > wrote:
> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago. *
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Broth from chicken trimmings. Whenever chickens go on sale, I buy
three, and cut them up, tossing the trimmings in the crock pot as I
go.

Also broth from the turkey carcass once or twice a year. If I buy a
leg of lamb, I'll bone it and make lamb stock. Sometimes I'll buy beef
shanks and make beef stock. I'll brown the quadroped bones in the oven
before I make stock with them.

The crockpot is also a deep fryer, so after I've accumulated enough
wings in the freezer, I'll take out the liner and make Buffalo wings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:27:50 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>>We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
>>We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>>
>>I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
>>it but only for ONE thing.
>>
>>What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

It regularly gets used to make chili, spaghetti sauce, and grits or
oatmeal (spray that crock first). I will also use it to cook soups in; I
can do them stovetop but sometimes it just suits my schedule to have it
happen all day or all night on low.

Semi-regularly to cook a large hunk of meat that improves on slow cooking
(e.g. pulled pork, pot roast) or a quantity of milk-and-grain pudding
(rice, tapioca).

I'm going to try apple butter and then meat-a-balls from the crockpot 365
blog (actually from the cookbook, "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow") next.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 2:52*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> pork roast, I have one thawing now, destined for the crockpot tonight
> corned beef
> smothered steak or chicken
> I'm sure there are more; but this list gives a good idea of what gets done
> in my crockpot.

No need to wait for that piggy to thaw unless you are wanting to do a
bit of browning first. I've cooked dozens of different dishes that
started off frozen and they turned out excellent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Slow-cooked pork. I toss a bunch of pork, sauerkraut, onions, and a
couple cut-up apples in there and cook it all day. It's excellent over
mashed potatoes.

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:27:50 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
>We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
>I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
>it but only for ONE thing.
>
>What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Our large one doesn't get used very often.
The small one averages once a week.
240 grams of steel cut oats
1500 grams (1-1/2 liters) of water
dash of salt.
6 hours on low and a week's worth of oatmeal is ready.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "gtr" wrote
>
> > We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago. We
> > used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
> >
> > I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used it
> > but only for ONE thing.
> >
> > What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

> Anything and everything but bread making. Currerntly 1 has a whole chicken
> with chilied tomatoes. Lovely spicy soft perfect moist chicken.
>
> I use mine almost constantly and have 3 (different sizes for different
> needs). Slow cooked southern BBQ pork shoulder, classic brunswick stews and
> variations more locally seen, carrot creame bisque, apple sauce, eddo potato
> whisk, just lots of stuff.

How do you de-fat the broth if you cook a pork shoulder in there? Or do
you bother? Just curious as I like to make gravies for pork roasts. :-)
I made the last one in the table top roaster so it was on a rack above
the drippings.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> gtr wrote:
> > We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
> > We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
> >
> > I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> > it but only for ONE thing.
> >
> > What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

> Slow-cooked pork. I toss a bunch of pork, sauerkraut, onions, and a
> couple cut-up apples in there and cook it all day. It's excellent over
> mashed potatoes.
>
> Serene

Ooh, that gives me an idea for later this week, thanks Serene! I've
been eyeing that chicken sausage I made that is in the freezer, and I
have a head of purple cabbage that needs to be used. Dad hates kraut
(and I love it) but sausage and cabbage in the crock pot sounds like a
winner. I can get it ready to go the night before and put the insert in
the 'frige, then turn it on before I leave for work that morning.

It'd cook for a good 10 hours on low.

Might toss in some grated carrot as well to add a bit of sweetness, and
a sliced onion.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 12:27*pm, gtr > wrote:
> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago. *
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?
> --

I make a Thai type pork and pepper dish in mine.

Also, applesauce (thanks to someone here who introduced this to me)

Meatballs and sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010041109275094031-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> We've got a crockpot we got for 2 bucks in a garage sale 10 years ago.
> We used it maybe once or twice but don't remember what we made.
>
> I mentioned this in a group of friends who owned a crockpot. They used
> it but only for ONE thing.
>
> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Gosh, there are tons of crockpot recipes available on the Internet. In
fact, I have an iPhone app that just has crockpot recipes. That app is
very handy to use when I am grocery shopping and I decide to make
something in my crockpot.

I make roasts in my crockpot and it is great for beef stew. Some of my
friends who like chili use a crockpot to make their chili. You can also
use it to make numerous different soup recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-04-11 16:30:37 -0700, Shawn Hirn said:

> You can also use it to make numerous different soup recipes.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I'll be making a bucket of French onion
soup tomorrow.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote

> Ooh, that gives me an idea for later this week, thanks Serene! I've
> been eyeing that chicken sausage I made that is in the freezer, and I
> have a head of purple cabbage that needs to be used. Dad hates kraut
> (and I love it) but sausage and cabbage in the crock pot sounds like a
> winner. I can get it ready to go the night before and put the insert in
> the 'frige, then turn it on before I leave for work that morning.

There ya go Om! It's also the *perfect* device to have food ready at any
time for kids or elderly parents. In some of my recipes, I even list how
many days straight on low they keep well at (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > writes:

> "Omelet" wrote
>
>> Ooh, that gives me an idea for later this week, thanks Serene! I've
>> been eyeing that chicken sausage I made that is in the freezer, and I
>> have a head of purple cabbage that needs to be used. Dad hates kraut
>> (and I love it) but sausage and cabbage in the crock pot sounds like a
>> winner. I can get it ready to go the night before and put the insert in
>> the 'frige, then turn it on before I leave for work that morning.

> There ya go Om! It's also the *perfect* device to have food ready at any
> time for kids or elderly parents. In some of my recipes, I even list how
> many days straight on low they keep well at (grin).

Folks, its not cool to say 'frige instead of fridge. And its not cool to
say "ya" either.

And equating elderly parents with kids is shockingly insensitive.

<
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> Anything and everything but bread making. Currerntly 1 has a whole
>> chicken
>> with chilied tomatoes. Lovely spicy soft perfect moist chicken.

This BTW morfed to 2 dishes already besides the basic one which was great
munch time with a vegetable side dish of spinach.

Morf-1= A rice based cassarole with it all just deboned and added on top,
added white pepper, black olives and mushrooms

Morf-2= Chicken Noodle soup with udon used for the noodles and added chicken
broth, plus spinach and cabbage

Morf 3 waiting to happen. I have enough for another meal. Am eyeing flour
tortillas, cheese, ansd things in that vein. Chicken cheese enchiladas?

>> I use mine almost constantly and have 3 (different sizes for different
>> needs). Slow cooked southern BBQ pork shoulder, classic brunswick stews
>> and
>> variations more locally seen, carrot creame bisque, apple sauce, eddo
>> potato
>> whisk, just lots of stuff.

> How do you de-fat the broth if you cook a pork shoulder in there? Or do
> you bother? Just curious as I like to make gravies for pork roasts. :-)
> I made the last one in the table top roaster so it was on a rack above
> the drippings.

Same way you'd defat anything else. I lift the roast out (or upend the
crockpot over a collander and with a pot under it). Since normally we are
doing the cheaper pork shoulder, it makes a good bit of liquid fat as it
goes along. That is decanted and the bone removed, then added back to the
pot. I might add, i add no liquids at the start to those other than a
splash of vinegar and possibly sake or mirin (sweetened sake). You can use
vermooth or vodka for the same effect. Oddly, gin works well too. Alcohol
cooks off but softens the meat along with the vinegar. A 'splash' is 2-3 TB
this time.

Usually dumping in a still frozen pork shoulder. I just unwrap it and dump
it in. With a cost estimate of 4-5$ to slow cook in the oven vs about
15cents to do the same in the crockpot, my choice was obvious in the lean
years and i maintain it today because it's just so much *easier* than
tending an oven.

Chicken soup is handled a little different. I decant the whole pot and
fridge it normally (or put the whole liner in if space) then lift the fat
off next morning. Remove chicken bones once cool. I also have cotton bags
(like the sorts for delicates in the washing machine but all cotton and used
ONLY for cooking) that I put various bits in which i want to fish out
easier. Like i will deepen the broth with onion skins and it's real easy to
remove them if in a baggie (classic cooks use cheesecloth, this is just an
easier solution and cheaper to wash and reuse for the bigger bits).

Sorry, dribbled on at ya. Been using a crockpot as a primary device since
1978.

Oh and while i typo'd to ya, morf-3

a pack of flour tortillas is now setting aside for the steamer which is
heating. Cheese has been sliced and a combination of cabbage, bell peppers,
and broccoli is wilting in the cast iron pan with butter and olive oil.
Black olives and mushroom slices to be added. Charlotte set the sour cream
out too. She's cooking tonight (grin). She's waiting for the meat to cool
enough to debone the rest and has some of the stewed tomatoes with chiles in
a strainer over a cup 'drying out a little'.

*She* tells me we got Morf-4. She's got carrots and stuff out to make a
soup with the broth and rest of the tomatoes. Grin, in this day and age
where most the kids dont know how to cook, something tells me there's a very
lucky guy in his future who's gonna actually be able to make a meal vice
nuke premade crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" wrote

> I make a Thai type pork and pepper dish in mine.

Pass me your recipe? I love those!

> Also, applesauce (thanks to someone here who introduced this to me)

I'm not the only one who does that so dont know if you got one from me.
Charlotte just cored 2 apples and set them in the smaller crockpot on high
with honey, cinnimon, and butter in the center. Handful of water I assume
added as she knows that from me. She's got a little bag of marshmellows
setting out.

Yeah, I'm spying (grin). I imagine she will drop a marshmellow in the
center when they are almost ready.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

Regular basis? We use it most months but probably not most weeks.
Yesterday's church group meeting had homemade sagetti sauce from it.
Before that was corned beef around St Patricks Day. Before that was a
chicken braise/roast about a month before that and so on going back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-04-12 15:02:59 -0700, Doug Freyburger said:

>> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

> Regular basis? We use it most months but probably not most weeks.
> Yesterday's church group meeting had homemade sagetti sauce from it.
> Before that was corned beef around St Patricks Day. Before that was a
> chicken braise/roast about a month before that and so on going back.

The few (non-virtual) people I asked all had crockpots, as well as
yogurt-makers and fondue kettles. The last two were rotting in the
garage, but the crockpot, for this select group of people was used for
one thing. Beef stew in the one case, and bean soup in the others.
That's it. Note that these people are not usenet cook-meisters, but
normal humans. ;-)

I just wondered what regular usage others might have. Clearly a number
of folks use it as often as the do a frying pan.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 4:29*pm, gtr > wrote:
> On 2010-04-12 15:02:59 -0700, Doug Freyburger said:
>
> >> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

> > Regular basis? *We use it most months but probably not most weeks.
> > Yesterday's church group meeting had homemade sagetti sauce from it.
> > Before that was corned beef around St Patricks Day. *Before that was a
> > chicken braise/roast about a month before that and so on going back.

> The few (non-virtual) people I asked all had crockpots, as well as
> yogurt-makers and fondue kettles. *The last two were rotting in the
> garage, but the crockpot, for this select group of people was used for
> one thing. *Beef stew in the one case, and bean soup in the others.
> That's it. Note that these people are not usenet cook-meisters, but
> normal humans. ;-)
>
> I just wondered what regular usage others might have. Clearly a number
> of folks use it as often as the do a frying pan.
> --
> Thank you and have a nice day.

I do not have a crockpot - but back when I was a marching band parent,
we would use one to keep the nacho cheese warm at the football games.

Susan B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> I just wondered what regular usage others might have. Clearly a number
> of folks use it as often as the do a frying pan.

I use my crock pot rarely. Keeping cider hot, doing a Boston butt for
pulled pork and perhaps the odd soup or veg, but otherwise I find that
meats done in the crockpot are kinda disgusting. Chicken pieces break
up unattractively, meats don't roast but rather stew or steam, and no
browning seems to take place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote in news:2010041109275094031-xxx@yyyzzz:

> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

I make bison bourguignon in my crockpot, fairly regularly as my wife
demands it when I go away for longer than a day. Also bouilli, which is a
whole chicken slowly cooked with vegetables and a cup of broth. The
bouilli is a traditional French-Canadian summer dish.

I have a 5.25 litre crockpot which gets used about every two weeks. Last
thing I did was a pork roast with an apricot sauce.

--

"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in news:82hpbfFjj4U1
@mid.individual.net:

> I use my crock pot rarely. Keeping cider hot, doing a Boston butt for
> pulled pork and perhaps the odd soup or veg, but otherwise I find that
> meats done in the crockpot are kinda disgusting. Chicken pieces break
> up unattractively, meats don't roast but rather stew or steam, and no
> browning seems to take place.

You brown meat prior to putting it in the crockpot. When I prepare a
bourguignon, I dredghe the pieces of bison stewing meat in besan flour and
sauté them in a frying pan then I put them on top of the vegetables. By
the time they are cooked to tenderness, they look just fine.

Chicken pieces do not break up if you put the appliance on slow cooking and
make sure you stop cooking it when it is done. That means you have to
check on it every now and then, but such is the price you pay.

--

"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to
govern."

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Omelet" wrote
>
> > Ooh, that gives me an idea for later this week, thanks Serene! I've
> > been eyeing that chicken sausage I made that is in the freezer, and I
> > have a head of purple cabbage that needs to be used. Dad hates kraut
> > (and I love it) but sausage and cabbage in the crock pot sounds like a
> > winner. I can get it ready to go the night before and put the insert in
> > the 'frige, then turn it on before I leave for work that morning.

> There ya go Om! It's also the *perfect* device to have food ready at any
> time for kids or elderly parents. In some of my recipes, I even list how
> many days straight on low they keep well at (grin).

Do tell? <g> I gotta watch that tho'. Last time I tried leaving a crock
pot on "warm" for three days, I came home one day to find that dad had
unplugged it. :-(

The food was still warm but I felt it was in the danger zone so not
worth it. I tossed it. <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bogbrush > wrote:

> And equating elderly parents with kids is shockingly insensitive.

But more accurate than you'd want to think. Wait until you've been
there and done that.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> > How do you de-fat the broth if you cook a pork shoulder in there? Or do
> > you bother? Just curious as I like to make gravies for pork roasts. :-)
> > I made the last one in the table top roaster so it was on a rack above
> > the drippings.

> Same way you'd defat anything else. I lift the roast out (or upend the
> crockpot over a collander and with a pot under it). Since normally we are
> doing the cheaper pork shoulder, it makes a good bit of liquid fat as it
> goes along. That is decanted and the bone removed, then added back to the
> pot. I might add, i add no liquids at the start to those other than a
> splash of vinegar and possibly sake or mirin (sweetened sake). You can use
> vermooth or vodka for the same effect. Oddly, gin works well too. Alcohol
> cooks off but softens the meat along with the vinegar. A 'splash' is 2-3 TB
> this time.
>
> Usually dumping in a still frozen pork shoulder. I just unwrap it and dump
> it in. With a cost estimate of 4-5$ to slow cook in the oven vs about
> 15cents to do the same in the crockpot, my choice was obvious in the lean
> years and i maintain it today because it's just so much *easier* than
> tending an oven.
>
> Chicken soup is handled a little different. I decant the whole pot and
> fridge it normally (or put the whole liner in if space) then lift the fat
> off next morning. Remove chicken bones once cool. I also have cotton bags
> (like the sorts for delicates in the washing machine but all cotton and used
> ONLY for cooking) that I put various bits in which i want to fish out
> easier. Like i will deepen the broth with onion skins and it's real easy to
> remove them if in a baggie (classic cooks use cheesecloth, this is just an
> easier solution and cheaper to wash and reuse for the bigger bits).
>
> Sorry, dribbled on at ya. Been using a crockpot as a primary device since
> 1978.

No worries. I'm not an experienced crockpot user but have one finally
with the removable insert. ;-) I like that as it's easier to clean.

> Oh and while i typo'd to ya, morf-3
>
> a pack of flour tortillas is now setting aside for the steamer which is
> heating. Cheese has been sliced and a combination of cabbage, bell peppers,
> and broccoli is wilting in the cast iron pan with butter and olive oil.
> Black olives and mushroom slices to be added. Charlotte set the sour cream
> out too. She's cooking tonight (grin). She's waiting for the meat to cool
> enough to debone the rest and has some of the stewed tomatoes with chiles in
> a strainer over a cup 'drying out a little'.
>
> *She* tells me we got Morf-4. She's got carrots and stuff out to make a
> soup with the broth and rest of the tomatoes. Grin, in this day and age
> where most the kids dont know how to cook, something tells me there's a very
> lucky guy in his future who's gonna actually be able to make a meal vice
> nuke premade crap.

Sweet. ;-)

And thanks!

I'm just used to the chill to defat method. I've never been good at
using my separator cup.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> The few (non-virtual) people I asked all had crockpots, as well as
> yogurt-makers and fondue kettles. The last two were rotting in the
> garage, but the crockpot, for this select group of people was used for
> one thing. Beef stew in the one case, and bean soup in the others.
> That's it. Note that these people are not usenet cook-meisters, but
> normal humans. ;-)

Chortle! You did ask on a cooking hobbyist group so we're biased in
liking to cook more than your random guy on the street.

> I just wondered what regular usage others might have. Clearly a number
> of folks use it as often as the do a frying pan.

Because of the slow moist cooking there's a uniformity to the food that
comes from the crockpot. If I use it too often I get tired of the food
because of that. Somewhere less often than every two weeks and that
doesn't happen for me. Somewhere more often than every two weeks it
does.

Yogurt maker - I haven't had one of those since the 1970s. It went from
the counter to the shelves to the garage to a garage sale and was never
replaced.

Fondue kettle - We love fondue. We make it at home about twice per
year. The kettle does not make it the the counter but it also never
migrates to the garage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> gtr > wrote in news:2010041109275094031-xxx@yyyzzz:
>
>> What do you use a crockpot for on a regular basis, if anything?

> I make bison bourguignon in my crockpot, fairly regularly as my wife
> demands it when I go away for longer than a day. Also bouilli, which is a
> whole chicken slowly cooked with vegetables and a cup of broth. The
> bouilli is a traditional French-Canadian summer dish.
>
> I have a 5.25 litre crockpot which gets used about every two weeks. Last
> thing I did was a pork roast with an apricot sauce.

I make lots of roasts in mine, damsel's Italian beef often and of course
soups. I also buy chicken thighs on sale and cook them in the crock pot for
my dog.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
[snip]
> You brown meat prior to putting it in the crockpot. When I prepare a
> bourguignon, I dredghe the pieces of bison stewing meat in besan flour and
> sauté them in a frying pan then I put them on top of the vegetables. By
> the time they are cooked to tenderness, they look just fine.

[snip]

Do you use besan flour to make it relatively low-carb?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in :

> Do you use besan flour to make it relatively low-carb?

I use besan flour to circumvent my wife's requirement that flours have low
or no gluten. She likes it. I do not eat it myself as I put lots of onion
in and I can't digest onions.

--

"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to
govern."

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher > wrote in
:

> I use besan flour to circumvent my wife's requirement that flours have
> low or no gluten.

Apologies, this should read: circumvent gluten as my wife's requirement is
that flours have little or no gluten...

--
"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to
govern."

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in :
>
>> Do you use besan flour to make it relatively low-carb?

> I use besan flour to circumvent my wife's requirement that flours have low
> or no gluten. She likes it. I do not eat it myself as I put lots of onion
> in and I can't digest onions.

Ah. Any comments on the flavor or lack thereof when you use the
besan when frying other things?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in :

> Ah. Any comments on the flavor or lack thereof when you use the
> besan when frying other things?

I don't. But my wife says she likes the bourguignon better with besan
flour. And after all that is all that matters, really.

--

"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to
govern."

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:20:32 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in :
>
>> Do you use besan flour to make it relatively low-carb?

> I use besan flour to circumvent my wife's requirement that flours have low
> or no gluten. She likes it. I do not eat it myself as I put lots of onion
> in and I can't digest onions.

it's sweet of you to make something for your wife that you can't eat.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in :
>
>> Ah. Any comments on the flavor or lack thereof when you use the
>> besan when frying other things?

> I don't. But my wife says she likes the bourguignon better with besan
> flour. And after all that is all that matters, really.

Especially under the aforementioned circumstances.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:24:41 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:20:32 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> "Jean B." > wrote in :
>>
>>> Do you use besan flour to make it relatively low-carb?

>> I use besan flour to circumvent my wife's requirement that flours have low
>> or no gluten. She likes it. I do not eat it myself as I put lots of onion
>> in and I can't digest onions.

>it's sweet of you to make something for your wife that you can't eat.
>
>your pal,
>blake

I agree and this it is positively angelic of him. Lucky wife!

aloha,
Cea