Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crockpot dreams turn into crockpot nightmares

Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 12:31*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Should have used beets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:31:11 -0500, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.

Maybe you needed to add some celery and onion too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 3:31*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

You could recover by adding some lentils and spices and making lentil
soup.

Sounds like you were trying to cook vegetables the way the English
used to. Boil for ever! Cabbage used to be particularly good, cook
for ever, then throw out the goodness in the water and serve the pale
green cabbage that was left.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 4:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:31:11 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
>>

> Maybe you needed to add some celery and onion too.

And a browned chuck roast and some onion, garlic and bay leaf.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 4:31 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Feb 27, 3:31 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
>> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> You could recover by adding some lentils and spices and making lentil
> soup.
>
> Sounds like you were trying to cook vegetables the way the English
> used to. Boil for ever!

Crockpots don't boil on a low setting. Hell, they barely reach a boil
on the high setting. Why anyone would want to cook carrots in beef
broth without it being part of a stew or cooked with a roast is the
mystery. Then again, Pooh is rather lame.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person wrote:
> On Feb 27, 3:31 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
>> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> You could recover by adding some lentils and spices and making lentil
> soup.

I like lentils.

> Sounds like you were trying to cook vegetables the way the English
> used to. Boil for ever! Cabbage used to be particularly good, cook
> for ever, then throw out the goodness in the water and serve the pale
> green cabbage that was left.

I like big, hearty chunks of carrots.

But I also like baby carrots.

But a baby carrot is a chunk in itself, so the word "baby" is kind of a
misnomer.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Carrots..thats rabbit food. Dont make me come up there. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher M.[_5_] View Post
Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:16:23 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 2/27/2013 4:09 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:31:11 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
> >>

> > Maybe you needed to add some celery and onion too.
> >

> And a browned chuck roast and some onion, garlic and bay leaf.

I won't disagree; but I guessed that the exercise was done trying to
make boxed broth taste more like home made stock. <shrug>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Helpful person wrote:
>> On Feb 27, 3:31 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
>>> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
>>>
>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>> You could recover by adding some lentils and spices and making lentil
>> soup.

> I like lentils.
>
>> Sounds like you were trying to cook vegetables the way the English
>> used to. Boil for ever! Cabbage used to be particularly good, cook
>> for ever, then throw out the goodness in the water and serve the pale
>> green cabbage that was left.

> I like big, hearty chunks of carrots.
>
> But I also like baby carrots.
>
> But a baby carrot is a chunk in itself, so the word "baby" is kind of a
> misnomer.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I Crockpotted a lovely white meat turkey roast for much too long. Was tired
and wanted to go t bed early. Bad idea too. Created turkey mush. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/27/2013 4:09 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:31:11 -0500, "Christopher M."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Carrots in beef broth cooked for 8 hours on low. Bad idea.
>>>

>> Maybe you needed to add some celery and onion too.
>>

> And a browned chuck roast and some onion, garlic and bay leaf.

I brown everything that goes into the crockpot and include such things as
tomato paste, Worcester sauce, win, seasonings etc with the broth. I can't
imagine just putting stuff in with broth. Potatoes never work for me though
and I don't include them any more. They just don't cook properly.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-28, Ophelia > wrote:

> I brown everything that goes into the crockpot and include such things as
> tomato paste, Worcester sauce....

How can you tell when you've browned the "Worcester" sauce?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2013-02-28, Ophelia > wrote:
> >
> > I brown everything that goes into the crockpot and include such things as
> > tomato paste, Worcester sauce....

> How can you tell when you've browned the "Worcester" sauce?
>
> nb

That's the easiest thing to brown as it starts out that way.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-02-28, Ophelia > wrote:
>>
>> I brown everything that goes into the crockpot and include such things as
>> tomato paste, Worcester sauce....

> How can you tell when you've browned the "Worcester" sauce?

*cough* " I brown everything that goes into the crockpot" AND include things
like ... <g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-02-28, Ophelia > wrote:
>> >
>> > I brown everything that goes into the crockpot and include such things
>> > as
>> > tomato paste, Worcester sauce....

>> How can you tell when you've browned the "Worcester" sauce?
>>
>> nb

> That's the easiest thing to brown as it starts out that way.

Don't you start ...!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2013 11:59 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:16:23 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/27/2013 4:09 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:31:11 -0500, "Christopher M."

>>> Maybe you needed to add some celery and onion too.
>>>

>> And a browned chuck roast and some onion, garlic and bay leaf.
>>

> I won't disagree; but I guessed that the exercise was done trying to
> make boxed broth taste more like home made stock. <shrug>

Maybe you're right. The Pooh didn't give us any rhyme or reason for
having done this. Crockpot or not, sounds horrid.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Helpful person wrote:

>>> You could recover by adding some lentils and spices and making lentil
>>> soup.

>> I like lentils.
>>
>>> Sounds like you were trying to cook vegetables the way the English
>>> used to. Boil for ever! Cabbage used to be particularly good, cook
>>> for ever, then throw out the goodness in the water and serve the pale
>>> green cabbage that was left.

>> I like big, hearty chunks of carrots.
>>
>> But I also like baby carrots.
>>
>> But a baby carrot is a chunk in itself, so the word "baby" is kind of a
>> misnomer.
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> I Crockpotted a lovely white meat turkey roast for much too long. Was
> tired and wanted to go t bed early. Bad idea too. Created turkey mush.
> Polly

Sometimes I overcook pasta. Definitely not the good kind of mush.

This is a popular recipe for mush (fried cornmeal mush recipe):
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fried-cornmeal-mush/

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 10:44*am, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> >> I like lentils.

> >> I like big, hearty chunks of carrots.

> >> But I also like baby carrots.

> >> But a baby carrot is a chunk in itself, so the word "baby" is kind of a
> >> misnomer.

> >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > I Crockpotted a lovely white meat turkey roast for much too long. Was
> > tired and wanted to go t bed early. *Bad idea too. *Created turkey mush.
> > Polly

> Sometimes I overcook pasta. Definitely not the good kind of mush.
>
> This is a popular recipe for mush (fried cornmeal mush recipe):http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fried-cornmeal-mush/
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Sometimes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:44:32 -0500, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> This is a popular recipe for mush (fried cornmeal mush recipe):
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fried-cornmeal-mush/

Mmmm. Fried cornmeal mush drizzled with real maple syrup! My
new(ish) breakfast favorite is something a lot thinner, fried up
crispy on both sides, set on a drizzle of maple syrup and topped with
a poached egg. Heaven on a plate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2013 1:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:44:32 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>> This is a popular recipe for mush (fried cornmeal mush recipe):
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fried-cornmeal-mush/

> Mmmm. Fried cornmeal mush drizzled with real maple syrup! My
> new(ish) breakfast favorite is something a lot thinner, fried up
> crispy on both sides, set on a drizzle of maple syrup and topped with
> a poached egg. Heaven on a plate!

Sort of like cornmeal griddle (pancakes)?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 04:12:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 2/28/2013 1:58 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:44:32 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> This is a popular recipe for mush (fried cornmeal mush recipe):
> >> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fried-cornmeal-mush/

> > Mmmm. Fried cornmeal mush drizzled with real maple syrup! My
> > new(ish) breakfast favorite is something a lot thinner, fried up
> > crispy on both sides, set on a drizzle of maple syrup and topped with
> > a poached egg. Heaven on a plate!
> >

> Sort of like cornmeal griddle (pancakes)?

I don't know, I've never eaten cornmeal pancakes - but I would think
it's a lot different, partially because there is no egg or flour.
What I've been thinking of doing (if I fried) is make cornmeal waffles
for chicken and waffles. I've had that exactly once and it was soooo
good, I want it again!

In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 4 13-10-2010 01:50 AM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 11-10-2010 11:59 PM
REC: CrockPot...Not Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 24 17-07-2006 12:53 AM
crockpot billybb51 General Cooking 1 10-02-2006 02:11 PM
Need a new crockpot Willow Cooking Equipment 1 19-08-2004 04:51 PM