Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: CrockPot...Not

This roast turns out tender, juicy, and flavorful. Some would say use a
CrockPot. Having tried that, it just doesn't turn out the same.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Amish Beef Roast

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :9:15
Categories :

4 Pounds Beef Chuck Roast
1 Package Onion Soup Mix
Heavy Duty Foil

Use two long sheets of foil. Sprinkle onion soup on roast, after placing it
in center of foil. Wrap roast loosely, but secure enough to hold the juices
in. Place in large pan.

Bake 9 hours at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for at least
half an hour before serving.

Notes:

Herbs may be added, if desired. A bay leaf, a splash of Worcestersauce
sauce or soy sauce. Do not add any other liquids.

If the roast is served still warm from the oven, it must be served in
chunks, as it is too tender to slice.

The roast may be chilled overnight right in the foil. It can be neatly
sliced while chilled, arranged in a baking dish, covered with gravy, and
reheated gently before serving. It is at least as good, if not better,
served this way.

The juices make an excellent base for gravy, and should be diluted by at
least half as much or more of water, to taste. If the roast is chilled,
the juices will become jellied. Scrape away from the meat into a saucepan,
mix with water, and thicken with a roux.

--
Wayne Boatwright

***, colorful rugs...from Loom Of The Fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Jul 2006 19:43:46 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Bake 9 hours at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for at least
>half an hour before serving.

If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
got rocks in your head! LOL!

Carol, wondering if the entire planet is on the verge of melting
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> This roast turns out tender, juicy, and flavorful. Some would say use a
> CrockPot. Having tried that, it just doesn't turn out the same.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Amish Beef Roast
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :9:15
> Categories :

> 4 Pounds Beef Chuck Roast
> 1 Package Onion Soup Mix
> Heavy Duty Foil
>
> Use two long sheets of foil. Sprinkle onion soup on roast, after placing it
> in center of foil. Wrap roast loosely, but secure enough to hold the juices
> in. Place in large pan.
>
> Bake 9 hours at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for at least
> half an hour before serving.
>
> Notes:
>
> Herbs may be added, if desired. A bay leaf, a splash of Worcestersauce
> sauce or soy sauce. Do not add any other liquids.
>
> If the roast is served still warm from the oven, it must be served in
> chunks, as it is too tender to slice.
>
> The roast may be chilled overnight right in the foil. It can be neatly
> sliced while chilled, arranged in a baking dish, covered with gravy, and
> reheated gently before serving. It is at least as good, if not better,
> served this way.
>
> The juices make an excellent base for gravy, and should be diluted by at
> least half as much or more of water, to taste. If the roast is chilled,
> the juices will become jellied. Scrape away from the meat into a saucepan,
> mix with water, and thicken with a roux.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ***, colorful rugs...from Loom Of The Fruit.

Could you also put garlic, carrots and cut up onions in the packet? Do
you suggest browning the meat first?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm with you Carol - It's so hot here in Sacramento, I'm even running
the crockpot out on the patio. It's supposed to be 104 today, and 106
tomorrow!

Myrl

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
> got rocks in your head! LOL!
>
> Carol, wondering if the entire planet is on the verge of melting

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 10:48:42a, tsr3 meant to say...

> Could you also put garlic, carrots and cut up onions in the packet? Do
> you suggest browning the meat first?

Yes, I often cut slivers of garlic and insert into small slits cut into the
meat. Onions would be fine. I haven't tried other vegetables, but I don't
know if they might end up overcooked. The packet should not be opened during
the cooking process, so adding them later wouldn't work. Having said that,
it might be worth a try.

What I usually do is parboil carrots and potatoes, brush with butter, and
season with salt, pepper, and a dusting of paprika. I roast them at high
heat while the roast rests for half an hour.

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 10:45:17a, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> On 16 Jul 2006 19:43:46 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Bake 9 hours at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for at least
>>half an hour before serving.

> If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
> got rocks in your head! LOL!

Of course I expect you to do this! :-) As you know I'm in the desert and
current temps have been around 112 degrees. With air conditioning (we
can't live without it), an oven at 225 degrees isn't really all that bad.

> Carol, wondering if the entire planet is on the verge of melting

If you were out here right now, you wouldn't be wondering...you'd be
convinced. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:45:17 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On 16 Jul 2006 19:43:46 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
><wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Bake 9 hours at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for at least
>>half an hour before serving.

>If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
>got rocks in your head! LOL!
>
>Carol, wondering if the entire planet is on the verge of melting

Go see the Al Gore movie, "An Inconvenient Truth". That'll put an end
to your wonderings :-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 11:55:31a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
> 28.19:
>
>> This roast turns out tender, juicy, and flavorful. Some would say use
>> a CrockPot. Having tried that, it just doesn't turn out the same.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Amish Beef Roast
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :9:15
>> Categories :

> I've done a couple of roasts with good results. I'm not a crock pot user
> so I'm not sure of the method I'm using.

Stovetop? Oven? Traditionally, I think pot roasts were originally cooked
on the stovetop and some folks still do. Then the pot gravitated to the
oven. CrockPots arrived on the seen and many folks began using them for
the convenience. I do own two crockpots, but have always been disappointed
in the roasts they produced. I use for spaghetti sauce, stuffed cabbage
rolls, and an assortment of other things.

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(TammyM) wrote in
:

(TammyM) wrote:

>>>Go see the Al Gore movie, "An Inconvenient Truth". That'll put an
>>>end to your wonderings :-(

>>Maybe I'd be better off not seeing that.

>> Carol the Ostrich

> Well, if like me, you don't have children (and therefore no
> grandchildren), you might not have a personal reason to think about
> the future of the planet. But then again ...
>
> TammyM

On the Today (NBC-TV) show this morning a scientist said that from
satellite photography, the artic circle is losing 32 miles of
circumference every year.

Yeah, the planet is in meltdown! We can complain or stop burning fossil
fuels. The existing ozone holes in the upper atmosphere allow too much of
the sun's radiation to pass through, breaking down the carbons into
chlorine and bromine gas and eating ozone. The sad part of that is it
takes the carbons years to reach the upper atmosphere, so as we look at
the damage done already, looking into the future, we're gonna be toasty
alright!!!

The recipe was decent, though I'd add a can of condensed mushroom soup to
the onion soup mix. Outstanding pot roast, then shred it, add a
hickory/brown sugar BBQ sauce and the shredded beef into a skillet, mix
it up and toss it on rolls, topped with a slice of provolone cheese and
have at it. YMMV,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
28.19:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 02:54:19p, Andy meant to say...
>
>> The recipe was decent, though I'd add a can of condensed mushroom
>> soup to the onion soup mix. Outstanding pot roast, then shred it, add
>> a hickory/brown sugar BBQ sauce and the shredded beef into a skillet,
>> mix it up and toss it on rolls, topped with a slice of provolone
>> cheese and have at it. YMMV,

> But that's another dish altogther.

Agreed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 02:54:19p, Andy meant to say...

> The recipe was decent, though I'd add a can of condensed mushroom soup to
> the onion soup mix. Outstanding pot roast, then shred it, add a
> hickory/brown sugar BBQ sauce and the shredded beef into a skillet, mix
> it up and toss it on rolls, topped with a slice of provolone cheese and
> have at it. YMMV,

But that's another dish altogther.

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2006 19:43:46 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bake 9 hours at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for at
>> least half an hour before serving.

> If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
> got rocks in your head! LOL!

LOL But it sounds perfect for a fall/winter roast

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 10:45:17a, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
> say...
>
>> On 16 Jul 2006 19:43:46 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bake 9 hours at 225 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for at
>>> least half an hour before serving.

>> If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
>> got rocks in your head! LOL!

> Of course I expect you to do this! :-) As you know I'm in the
> desert and current temps have been around 112 degrees. With air
> conditioning (we can't live without it), an oven at 225 degrees isn't
> really all that bad.

But Carol doesn't *have* air conditioning!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default CrockPot...Not

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> This roast turns out tender, juicy, and flavorful. Some would say use a
> CrockPot. Having tried that, it just doesn't turn out the same.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Amish Beef Roast

recipe snipped
Gosh, that brings back memories. . .my mom made that a couple of times a
month on Sunday. Popped it in the oven when she got up and Sunday dinner
was ready when we got home. (I haven't had it since.)
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 03:46:30p, jmcquown meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 10:45:17a, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>> say...

>>> If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
>>> got rocks in your head! LOL!

>> Of course I expect you to do this! :-) As you know I'm in the
>> desert and current temps have been around 112 degrees. With air
>> conditioning (we can't live without it), an oven at 225 degrees isn't
>> really all that bad.

> But Carol doesn't *have* air conditioning!

True, and posting the recipe was not a commandment that thou shalt make
this roast in the heat. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 04:05:13p, Janet Bostwick meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> This roast turns out tender, juicy, and flavorful. Some would say use a
>> CrockPot. Having tried that, it just doesn't turn out the same.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Amish Beef Roast

> recipe snipped
> Gosh, that brings back memories. . .my mom made that a couple of times a
> month on Sunday. Popped it in the oven when she got up and Sunday dinner
> was ready when we got home. (I haven't had it since.)
> Janet

My mom, as well, Janet. It's one of my comfort foods.

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Jul 2006 01:31:30 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 03:46:30p, jmcquown meant to say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 10:45:17a, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>>> say...

>>> Of course I expect you to do this! :-) As you know I'm in the
>>> desert and current temps have been around 112 degrees. With air
>>> conditioning (we can't live without it), an oven at 225 degrees isn't
>>> really all that bad.

>> But Carol doesn't *have* air conditioning!

>True, and posting the recipe was not a commandment that thou shalt make
>this roast in the heat. :-)

Yes it was! I know how you are! LOL!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:46:30 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 10:45:17a, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>> say...

>>> If you think I'm gonna run my oven for 9 hours in this heat, you've
>>> got rocks in your head! LOL!

>> Of course I expect you to do this! :-) As you know I'm in the
>> desert and current temps have been around 112 degrees. With air
>> conditioning (we can't live without it), an oven at 225 degrees isn't
>> really all that bad.

>But Carol doesn't *have* air conditioning!

That's tellin' him!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 04:45:54p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> On 17 Jul 2006 01:31:30 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 03:46:30p, jmcquown meant to say...

>>> But Carol doesn't *have* air conditioning!

>>True, and posting the recipe was not a commandment that thou shalt make
>>this roast in the heat. :-)

> Yes it was! I know how you are! LOL!

Yes, you do. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 04:46:23p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:46:30 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 16 Jul 2006 10:45:17a, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>>> say...

>>> Of course I expect you to do this! :-) As you know I'm in the
>>> desert and current temps have been around 112 degrees. With air
>>> conditioning (we can't live without it), an oven at 225 degrees isn't
>>> really all that bad.

>>But Carol doesn't *have* air conditioning!

> That's tellin' him!
>
> Carol

Well, you could just mix it up and put it on the kitchen table. In 9
hours, dinner!

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Crockpot dreams turn into crockpot nightmares Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 20 01-03-2013 05:57 PM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 4 13-10-2010 01:50 AM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 11-10-2010 11:59 PM
Crockpot Use gtr General Cooking 47 16-04-2010 12:39 AM
Need a new crockpot Willow Cooking Equipment 1 19-08-2004 04:51 PM