Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default In my crockpot

http://i56.tinypic.com/5k3nzb.jpg

Some red wine, water, some onions, cabbage, celery and carrots from my
container of produce that must be frozen or used (frozen in this case), some
fresh parsley, some beef bones and fat frozen after trimming from a steak,
and a steak that was grilled but a bit too tough to eat grilled. Salt and
pepper and slow cook until tasty. I might leave it as broth to sip, or add
some egg noodles, veggies and beef for soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:43*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> http://i56.tinypic.com/5k3nzb.jpg
>
> Some red wine, water, some onions, cabbage, celery and carrots from my
> container of produce that must be frozen or used (frozen in this case), some
> fresh parsley, some beef bones and fat frozen after trimming from a steak,
> and a steak that was grilled but a bit too tough to eat grilled. *Salt and
> pepper and slow cook until tasty. *I might leave it as broth to sip, or add
> some egg noodles, veggies and beef for soup.

Sounds like it's a good broth! Maybe make some french onion soup with
it?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> On Oct 11, 3:43 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>> http://i56.tinypic.com/5k3nzb.jpg
>>
>> Some red wine, water, some onions, cabbage, celery and carrots from my
>> container of produce that must be frozen or used (frozen in this case),
>> some
>> fresh parsley, some beef bones and fat frozen after trimming from a
>> steak,
>> and a steak that was grilled but a bit too tough to eat grilled. Salt
>> and
>> pepper and slow cook until tasty. I might leave it as broth to sip, or
>> add
>> some egg noodles, veggies and beef for soup.

> Sounds like it's a good broth! Maybe make some french onion soup with
> it?

Hey, great idea, thanks! I need to get a few things at the store for that,
but it sounds perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> Hey, great idea, thanks! I need to get a few things at the store for
> that, but it sounds perfect.

Never made it to the store but I had plenty of onions but no baguette so I
just caramelized a couple of big onions (part butter, part olive oil) and
added a little flour, then simmered the stock with the onions for a bit.
After cooking it down a little I served up a soup bowl and sprinkled on some
mozzarella cheese (I do have Swiss, but it needs to be grated, so I'll save
it for when I have the baguette). It was absolutely delicious. I'm so
glad I posted about my trash broth and that you wrote back for onion soup!
I wouldn't have thought of it! Total cost, probably 50 cents (US). The
ingredients for the stock probably would have been thrown out because they
were getting past prime and I didn't want to make soup at the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 5:46*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > Hey, great idea, thanks! *I need to get a few things at the store for
> > that, but it sounds perfect.

> Never made it to the store but I had plenty of onions but no baguette so I
> just caramelized a couple of big onions (part butter, part olive oil) and
> added a little flour, then simmered the stock with the onions for a bit.
> After cooking it down a little I served up a soup bowl and sprinkled on some
> mozzarella cheese (I do have Swiss, but it needs to be grated, so I'll save
> it for when I have the baguette). * It was absolutely delicious. *I'm so
> glad I posted about my trash broth and that you wrote back for onion soup!
> I wouldn't have thought of it! *Total cost, probably 50 cents (US). *The
> ingredients for the stock probably would have been thrown out because they
> were getting past prime and I didn't want to make soup at the time.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Good fall food.

Kris

Crockpot dreams turn into crockpot nightmares Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 20 01-03-2013 05:57 PM
In my crockpot Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 11-10-2010 11:59 PM
Crockpot Use gtr General Cooking 47 16-04-2010 12:39 AM
REC: CrockPot...Not Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 24 17-07-2006 12:53 AM
Need a new crockpot Willow Cooking Equipment 1 19-08-2004 04:51 PM