Kajikit

Default Need recipe ideas for precooked chicken breasts

Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Katra

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit

I actually buy the pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts sometimes from HEB
for my dinners at work. :-)

I get the italian spiced ones and a container of marinara sauce, and
some shredded mozarella cheese.

Place the chicken breast on the bottom of a disposable ziplock container
and pour some marinara sauce over it, then top with mozarella.

Nuke it until the cheese melts.

Consume when it's cooled to a safe temp.

Pre-cooked chicken breasts are also excellent sliced thin and added to
salads. I prefer to use baby spinach leaves in place of lettuce.

Or, shred them up and make chicken salad.

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Bob Westcott

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:15:24 +1100, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
>be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
>panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
>on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
>kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
>hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
>salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
>to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
>plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?
>
>~Karen AKA Kajikit
>
>Nobody outstubborns a cat...
>
>Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

Well, I envy you your weather (we're hoping to hit -10C, the warmest
its been for a week.... anyhow... what to do with cooked chicken
breasts..

1) Get some nice rustic rolls and some pesto sauce.... makes a real
nice sandwich

2) Big flour tortilla, shredded cheddar, maybe some onion slices... do
it up as a quesadilla

3) Marinara sauce and mozzarella...

4) cut into small cubes and chuck into an oriental stir fry

5) make chicken pot pies

Bob
Puester

Kajikit wrote:

> Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit

Reheat them in homemade spaghetti sauce with onions and green pepper,
serve with your favorite pasta.

gloria p
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Kajikit
> wrote:

> Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?

Chicken and wild rice casserole. Cook a mix of regular and wild rice
(or just regular). Make a bechamel sauce, season with thyme, s & p,
parmesan cheese and a little hot sauce. Chop up and saute (briefly)
veggies of your choice, I like onions, garlic, red peppers (capsicum),
asparagus, etc. Mix rice with veggies, chopped chicken and sauce, add
more s & p to taste if you wish. Top with toasted almonds and bake in a
medium oven for about 30-40 minutes.

Chicken salad, chicken rice salad with curry, chicken
tacos/burritos/enchiladas.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Kajikit > wrote:
> Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?

Saute your favorite vegies and add in some sliced chicken when
the vegies are nearly done to warm the chicken. You have a nice
stir fry that will warm your bones on a cold day.

Alternatively, dice the chicken and add it to some chicken broth
with diced vegies for a hearty chicken vegetable soup.
Frogleg

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:36:07 GMT, Bob Westcott
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:15:24 +1100, Kajikit >
>wrote:
>
>>Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
>>be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
>>panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
>>on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
>>kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
>>hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way!

[3 days of record-setting temperatures in the upper 70s (F) here, low
40s now, and snow predicted for day-after-tomorrow. Never mind cooking
-- what *clothes* does one keep handy?!]

Crepes

Enchiladas

Tuna-noodle casserole only with chicken instead.
Lynn Gifford

Bob Westcott > wrote in message >. ..
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:15:24 +1100, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
> >Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> >be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> >panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> >on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> >kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> >hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> >salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> >to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> >plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?
> >
> >~Karen AKA Kajikit
> >
> >Nobody outstubborns a cat...
> >
> >Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

> Well, I envy you your weather (we're hoping to hit -10C, the warmest
> its been for a week.... anyhow... what to do with cooked chicken
> breasts..
>
> 1) Get some nice rustic rolls and some pesto sauce.... makes a real
> nice sandwich
>
> 2) Big flour tortilla, shredded cheddar, maybe some onion slices... do
> it up as a quesadilla
>
> 3) Marinara sauce and mozzarella...
>
> 4) cut into small cubes and chuck into an oriental stir fry
>
> 5) make chicken pot pies
>

> Bob

Here are three recipes for pre-cooked deli chicken (off the
rotisserie). They're from a food column I used to write in a previous
life
Lynn froTex-Mex Chicken Fajita in a Pita

One deli roasted whole chicken
4 pita or pocket breads
Shredded iceberg lettuce or salad-in-a-bag
1 cup shredded Colby or jack cheese
Salsa (from a jar or homemade)
1 avocado peeled and sliced
Sour cream (regular, low-fat or no-fat)
Sliced ripe olives
Sliced green onions

Pull meat off the chicken and shred or slice into bite-size pieces.
Halve pita breads across and open into pockets. Stuff each pita half
with about 3 tablespoons chicken, a handful of lettuce, some cheese
and a spoonful of salsa. Pass other ingredients at the table. Serves
four to six with leftovers.

Greek Chicken Salad

One deli-roasted whole chicken
4 to 6 cups torn greens or salad-in-a-bag
2 ripe tomatoes cut in wedges
1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
1/2 cup Greek olives (or substitute black or stuffed green olives)
4 green onions,sliced
Balsamic vinaigrette (homemade or bottled, the new Kraft® Greek
vinaigrette is good.)

Pull meat off the chicken and shred or slice into bite-size pieces. On
individual plates, place about a cup of mixed greens. Top with
shredded chicken. Arrange about 4 tomato wedges on the edge of each
plate. Add olives and sprinkle with feta and green onions. Pass
vinaigrette at the table. Serve with good French or Italian bread or
fresh bread sticks. Serves four to six.

Chicken Pasta Salad with Grapes

One deli-roasted whole chicken
4 cups cooked pasta (shells, penne, rotini etc.)
1 cup regular or light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 cups seedless grapes
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup thinly sliced green or red bell pepper
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds

Pull meat off the chicken and shred or slice into bite-size pieces.
Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice and celery seed. Toss with remaining
ingredients. Serves four to six as a main course

Lynn from Fargo
Tara

wrote:

>Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
>be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
>panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
>on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
>kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
>hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
>salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
>to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
>plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?

I'd make burritos or enchiladas.

Tara
sf

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:15:24 +1100, Kajikit
> wrote:

> Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit

I guess Thai chicken wraps are out... so how about creamed
chicken, chicken enchiladas, chicken fajitas or chicken
crepes!

The Magic Pan Chicken Crepe Elegante
Yield: 6 servings.

For crepes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter

For filling:
1 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

I would play with the herbs (use chervil or thyme)
and add at least 1//4 C thinly sliced mushrooms

To prepare crepes: Sift flour and salt together into a large
mixing bowl.

Add eggs; mix thoroughly (mixture will form a thick paste).
Add milk gradually, beating until smooth. Batter will have
the consistency of heavy cream. Cover bowl; refrigerate for
2 hours.

Brush a hot crepe pan with oil or melted butter. Pour in
about 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter, depending on the size of
the pan. Tip the pan to coat it with a thin layer of batter.
Cook over medium-high heat until crepe is golden brown,
about 1 minute, then turn and brown other side. Continue
cooking crepes, adding oil or butter to pan as needed.

To prepare filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring stock
to a boil in a small pan. Melt butter in a saucepan over low
heat. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually
add stock. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring over low heat for
1 to 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, parsley and chives.

Beat egg yolks and half-and-half in a small mixing bowl. Add
a little of the hot sauce; mix well. Stir egg mixture into
remaining hot sauce in pan.

Put a portion of the mixture in the center of each crepe.
Roll up crepes.
Place in a buttered oven-to-table baking dish. Sprinkle with
cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Serve at once.

http://www.cdkitchen.com

Katra

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:15:24 +1100, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
> >Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> >be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> >panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> >on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> >kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> >hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> >salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> >to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> >plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?

> I'd make burritos or enchiladas.
>
> Tara

Kewl suggestion.... or even Cassaroles. ;-)

K.

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Kajikit

sf saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
it on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:31:52 GMT:

>I guess Thai chicken wraps are out... so how about creamed
>chicken, chicken enchiladas, chicken fajitas or chicken
>crepes!

(snip nummy recipe)

That sounds delicious, if a bit fiddly... I made a chicken pot pie in
the end - it was yummy too.

Sauteed three big onions with a bit of garlic and added lots of
paprika, then a tin of sweetcorn and lots of chopped baby carrots and
some celery, and a jug of chickenstock from the fridge. Once the
carrot was cooked I added the chopped chicken and simmered it down a
bit, then put it in a bakingdish and topped it with bought butter puff
pastry. It was yummy with baked potatoes and steamed snowpeas...

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
sf

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:03:16 +1100, Kajikit
> wrote:

> sf saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
> it on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:31:52 GMT:
>
> >I guess Thai chicken wraps are out... so how about creamed
> >chicken, chicken enchiladas, chicken fajitas or chicken
> >crepes!

> (snip nummy recipe)
>
> That sounds delicious, if a bit fiddly... I made a chicken pot pie in
> the end - it was yummy too.
>
> Sauteed three big onions with a bit of garlic and added lots of
> paprika, then a tin of sweetcorn and lots of chopped baby carrots and
> some celery, and a jug of chickenstock from the fridge. Once the
> carrot was cooked I added the chopped chicken and simmered it down a
> bit, then put it in a bakingdish and topped it with bought butter puff
> pastry. It was yummy with baked potatoes and steamed snowpeas...
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit

Mmmm. Homemade chicken pot pie... LOL, if you thought that
crepe recipe was fussy - I wish I could find my ALL TIME
favorite CPP recipe (unforunately - it's long lost).

That pot pie took so much time & preparation (and brandy),
you'd think it was a four star meal... well, it was truly a
meal to remember. In fact, I used to make it for company.

Kajikit

sf saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
it on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:03:19 GMT:

>Mmmm. Homemade chicken pot pie... LOL, if you thought that
>crepe recipe was fussy - I wish I could find my ALL TIME
>favorite CPP recipe (unforunately - it's long lost).
>
>That pot pie took so much time & preparation (and brandy),
>you'd think it was a four star meal... well, it was truly a
>meal to remember. In fact, I used to make it for company.

lol I'm sure it was a lot of work... personally I prefer dishes that
are quick to prepare but pack a punch in the taste department. I'm too
lazy to stand around in the kitchen stirring pots and fiddling with
measurements if I can avoid it! The most work I'll do is to make
fishcakes (which I find annoying because it takes an hour to cook and
mash the potatoes, an hour to mix them up appropriately, and another
hour to shape/crumb them and that's before you start to cook the meal!
(I make a double batch and shove half in the freezer for an 'instant'
dinner some other time... shame the first one can't be instant too
though.)

This pie turned out pretty well delicious. I had the leftover bit for
dinner tonight. Mmmm...

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Lisette

wrote:

>sf saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
>it on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:31:52 GMT:
>
>>I guess Thai chicken wraps are out... so how about creamed
>>chicken, chicken enchiladas, chicken fajitas or chicken
>>crepes!

>(snip nummy recipe)
>
>That sounds delicious, if a bit fiddly... I made a chicken pot pie in
>the end - it was yummy too.
>
>Sauteed three big onions with a bit of garlic and added lots of
>paprika, then a tin of sweetcorn and lots of chopped baby carrots and
>some celery, and a jug of chickenstock from the fridge. Once the
>carrot was cooked I added the chopped chicken and simmered it down a
>bit, then put it in a bakingdish and topped it with bought butter puff
>pastry. It was yummy with baked potatoes and steamed snowpeas...

That sounds delicious. Interesting though, I would have used a
thin-ish white sauce in it rather than stock. You're in Oz, right?
Maybe your CPPs are not as saucy as ours!

Saucy Lisette in Sacramento, California

Kajikit

Lisette saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Fri, 09 Jan 2004 22:34:19 GMT:

>On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:03:16 +1100, Kajikit >
>wrote:
>
>>sf saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all about
>>it on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:31:52 GMT:

>>Sauteed three big onions with a bit of garlic and added lots of
>>paprika, then a tin of sweetcorn and lots of chopped baby carrots and
>>some celery, and a jug of chickenstock from the fridge. Once the
>>carrot was cooked I added the chopped chicken and simmered it down a
>>bit, then put it in a bakingdish and topped it with bought butter puff
>>pastry. It was yummy with baked potatoes and steamed snowpeas...

>That sounds delicious. Interesting though, I would have used a
>thin-ish white sauce in it rather than stock. You're in Oz, right?
>Maybe your CPPs are not as saucy as ours!

I have no idea how to make white sauce and nobody in the family would
eat it if I tried (which is why I don't know how to cook it...) I'm
not very fond of the 'creamy' style chicken pies you can get in
bakeries - the last one I had was all cream and no chicken! What a
ripoff!