Ken Knecht

Default A recipe for skinless chicken breasts?

I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.

TIA
--
Untie the two knots to email me

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
count on the support of Paul." George Bernard Shaw

Peter Aitken

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA
> --

Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in 1 TB
butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the turn. Place
a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top. Cover and
cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get the hand
of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just until
the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add 1/4c dry
white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies. Use as
gravy.

--
Peter Aitken

salgud

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
> >
> > TIA
> > --

> Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
> thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in 1 TB
> butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the turn. Place
> a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top. Cover and
> cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get the hand
> of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just until
> the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add 1/4c dry
> white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies. Use as
> gravy.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

How about a simple stir-fry?

Sheldon

Ken Knecht wrote:
> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.

Grind them up and make a chicken meat loaf, or chicken croquettes.

Sheldon

kilikini

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

please.
> > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

found
> > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
> >
> > TIA
> > --

> Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
> thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in 1 TB
> butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the turn.

Place
> a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top. Cover and
> cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get the

hand
> of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just until
> the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add 1/4c dry
> white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies. Use as
> gravy.

I do something similar but I butterfly the chicken and then pound it flat,
stuff it with ham and swiss cheese, bread it, and then sautee it. If I have
the ingredients, I'll make a roux, add swiss cheese and some whisky to make
a sauce. Delicious!

kili

~patches~

Ken Knecht wrote:
> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA

Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.

We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
is thick.
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Ken Knecht > wrote:

> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA

I like to marinate them in some honey, lemon juice, yellow mustard and
just a bit of Braggs Liquid aminos along with salt free lemon pepper and
garlic powder.

Grill them in the electric grill for 6 to 8 minutes depending on how
thick they are.

Let cool, slice thin and serve with marinara sauce and mushrooms.
--
Om.

kilikini

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Ken Knecht wrote:
> > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

please.
> > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

found
> > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
> >
> > TIA

> Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
> pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
> sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
> Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
> except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
> quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
> cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
> then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
>
> We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
> or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
> deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
> to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
> over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
> is thick.

If you add some sherry to the sauce it gives it a much richer flavor. My
family has been making it that way for years; we call it Chicken Noel, but I
have no idea why.

kili

~patches~

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA

Oops forgot to add - If you can get your hands on Zehnders Chicken
Seasoning, it is most excellent on either grilled or fried chicken breasts.
Joseph Littleshoes

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any
> suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients
> please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I
> found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a
> casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me

A favorite of mine is to season, egg (beaten yolks only) flour and bread
crumb a boneless, skinless breast of chicken and saute in a bit of oil
or butter in a skillet on top of the stove till the coating sets up and
is nicely browned then transferr to a pot with several cups of good beef
gravy (Heinz is acceptable) and 'fricasse' or stew or simmer in the beef
gravy with 1/2 to 1 cup of good red wine till the chicken is done, about
20 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken, stir the gravy and serve with
rice or potatoes or pasta.

I can eat a whle half breast this way but often times the breast is
sliced and served in several pieces.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Joseph Littleshoes

salgud wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> > >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any

> suggestions
> > > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

> please.
> > > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes

> I found
> > > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked.

> Of
> > > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a

> casserole?
> > > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > --

> > Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
> > thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in

> 1 TB
> > butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the

> turn. Place
> > a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top.

> Cover and
> > cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get

> the hand
> > of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just

> until
> > the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add

> 1/4c dry
> > white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies.

> Use as
> > gravy.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> How about a simple stir-fry?

Or poach the bvreasts in stock or water and then when cool cut into
large dice and marinate in a vinegrette for 1/2 hour and serve with a
green salad.
---
JL

~patches~

kilikini wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>
>>Ken Knecht wrote:
>>
>>>I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
>>>for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

> please.
>
>>>No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

> found
>
>>>there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
>>>course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
>>>I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>>>
>>>TIA

>>Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
>>pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
>>sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
>> Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
>>except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
>>quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
>>cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
>>then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
>>
>>We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
>>or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
>>deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
>>to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
>>over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
>>is thick.

> If you add some sherry to the sauce it gives it a much richer flavor. My
> family has been making it that way for years; we call it Chicken Noel, but I
> have no idea why.
>
> kili

It is good that way isn't it! I use a dry sherry and save the cream
sherry for drinking A little white wine instead of sherry is good in
the sauce too.
Joseph Littleshoes

> Ken Knecht wrote:
> > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any

> suggestions
> > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

> please.
> > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

> found
> > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a

> casserole?
> > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.

> Grind them up and make a chicken meat loaf, or chicken croquettes.

Add some ground shrimp and make raviolis. Or other stuffed pasta.
Chicken and fish sausage is very good. And some mushrooms (sauce
duxelles) makes a good filler for fish.---
J (gesturing to "sheldon" with a specific finger) L

kilikini

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:

suggestions

> > please.

> > found

casserole?

> >>Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
> >>pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
> >>sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
> >> Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
> >>except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
> >>quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
> >>cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
> >>then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
> >>
> >>We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
> >>or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
> >>deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
> >>to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
> >>over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
> >>is thick.

> > If you add some sherry to the sauce it gives it a much richer flavor.

My
> > family has been making it that way for years; we call it Chicken Noel,

but I
> > have no idea why.
> >
> > kili
> >

> It is good that way isn't it! I use a dry sherry and save the cream
> sherry for drinking A little white wine instead of sherry is good in
> the sauce too.

I'm so glad someone else eats it this way, too! I usually add about 1/4 of
a cup of sherry. You can taste the sherry, but it's not overpowering. I've
grown up eating this dish this way and now if I go to someone's house and
they make this sans sherry, something is definitely missing.

kili

Joseph Littleshoes

~patches~ wrote:

> Ken Knecht wrote:
> > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any

> suggestions
> > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

> please.
> > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

> found
> > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a

> casserole?
> > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
> >
> > TIA

> Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
> pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
>
> sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar
> salad.
> Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
> except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy.
> quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
> cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
> then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
>
> We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with
> rice
> or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
> deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken
> breasts
> to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
> over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
>
> is thick.

Supremes a l'Proust, chicken breasts sauted in butter with champagne
grapes and white wine?
---
JL

Nancy Young

This is very easy and tasty.

Chicken a la Nancy

(from Frank Perdue in 365 Ways to Cook Chicken)

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 can (14 ounces) whole artichoke hearts, drained and quartered.

Pound chicken breasts and cut into 2 inch squares

In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook 2 to 3
minutes a side, until tender and opaque. Remove chicken and keep
warm.

Add garlic, lemon and mushrooms to the same pan. Cook until tender,
3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper and oregano.
Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring
until mixture thickens. Add artichokes and return chicken to pan.
Simmer 2 minutes, until heated through.

Dimitri

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA

Yes, poach a few in some flavored chicken broth.
When cool:
Shred and reserve for - Chinese Chicken salad.
Mince for a chicken salad (sandwich spread)
Dice for a cob salad.
Shred to use as Creamed Chicken (on Toast).

Dimitri

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, ~patches~ wrote the following -._
> Oops forgot to add - If you can get your hands on Zehnders Chicken
> Seasoning, it is most excellent on either grilled or fried chicken breasts.

I have never had this Zehnders Chicken Seasoning you speak of which
means I am completely unqualified to say that I think McCormmick Grill
Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning is much better.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
Autumn

This is our favorite quick boneless chicken recipe.

Raspberry Chicken Breast (1/2 the normal recipe)

seasoned salt
8 ounces boneless chicken breast cut into 1" strips
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar

Fry chicken in oil till lightly browned. Sprinkle with seasoned salt to
taste. Add vinegar and sugar, cook and stir till a sauce forms, about the
consistancy of pancake syrup.

I make this with 1 pound chicken, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 cup raspberry
vinegar and 1/4 cup sugar. We wanted more sauce so I doubled the vinegar and
sugar called for. It is really important to find a good raspberry vinegar
for this, as I bought one once that was not so good and it was awful. The
original recipe is from a company that sells raspberry vinegar at art and
craft fairs, there is actual raspberries in the vinegar. I have not found
this particular vinegar in stores. But I have been able to find several good
brands at my local grocery store. Enjoy.

~patches~

Faux_Pseudo wrote:

> _.-In rec.food.cooking, ~patches~ wrote the following -._
>
>>Oops forgot to add - If you can get your hands on Zehnders Chicken
>>Seasoning, it is most excellent on either grilled or fried chicken breasts.

> I have never had this Zehnders Chicken Seasoning you speak of which
> means I am completely unqualified to say that I think McCormmick Grill
> Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning is much better.

Zehnders of Frankenmuth makes the best chicken ever! You can find out
more about them at http://www.zehnders.com and
http://www.bavarianinn.com/bi/home.n...nn_History.htm
I'm having a problem getting the first url to load without timing out so
I don't know for sure if they have an online store but they likely do.
They have a really nice on-site store so I stock up when there.
Zehnders is a fine ground seasoning mix and IIRC McCormicks is a coarse
mixture. It gives a really nice flavour & colour without the heavier
texture. I used to use the Montreal steak spice from them but switched
over to one put out by Tone's. It comes in a 28 container for almost
the same price as the little containers McCormick's has and there is no
noticeable difference in taste.

~patches~

Autumn wrote:

> This is our favorite quick boneless chicken recipe.
>
> Raspberry Chicken Breast (1/2 the normal recipe)
>
> seasoned salt
> 8 ounces boneless chicken breast cut into 1" strips
> 1 tablespoon oil
> 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
> 2 tablespoons sugar
>
> Fry chicken in oil till lightly browned. Sprinkle with seasoned salt to
> taste. Add vinegar and sugar, cook and stir till a sauce forms, about the
> consistancy of pancake syrup.
>
> I make this with 1 pound chicken, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 cup raspberry
> vinegar and 1/4 cup sugar. We wanted more sauce so I doubled the vinegar and
> sugar called for. It is really important to find a good raspberry vinegar
> for this, as I bought one once that was not so good and it was awful. The
> original recipe is from a company that sells raspberry vinegar at art and
> craft fairs, there is actual raspberries in the vinegar. I have not found
> this particular vinegar in stores. But I have been able to find several good
> brands at my local grocery store. Enjoy.

Sounds really good and I have a couple of jars of raspberry vinegar to
use up. Thanks! You can easily make raspberry vinegar yourself if you
have access to fresh raspberries. Just put a cup or so of raspberries
in a L mason jar and pour whatever vinegar you want to use over them.
Put the lid on then let sit for at least 14 days. Strain and use as
needed. You can leave a few berries in if you like. This method works
well for strawberry and blueberry vinegar too. HTH
aem

Ken Knecht wrote:
> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.

[snip]

If you gently pound them flat and trim 'em up you can treat them just
like veal cutlets in a number of classic recipes. Similar very muted
flavor from the meat, so emphasis on tasty sauces to dress them up.
Try veal marsala to start with. -aem

Victor Sack

Ken Knecht > wrote:

> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.

Make Chicken Pojarski (can also be transliterated as Pojarsky,
Pozharsky, etc.)
(Pojarski, who invented this dish, was an innkeeper in Torzhok, Russia
in 1820's.)

500 g (about 1.5 lb) chicken flesh (chicken breasts are often used, but
the original recipe called for the whole boneless and skinless
chicken; If I use chicken breasts, I sometimes add some skin
for better flavour. Chicken thighs, especially boneless for
easier handling, are very good)
2 eggs, separated and the whites beaten a bit
salt and pepper to taste
200 g (about 0.5 lb) stale white bread, torn and soaked in water (or in
milk or cream) and squeezed out
1 cup breadcrumbs
about 2 tablespoons clarified butter (or even ghee) for frying

Put chicken flesh and white bread through the grinder. In a dish, mix
everything well together with egg yolks and whites. Add salt and pepper
to taste and mix well again. If the mixture is too dense, add some
ice-cold water and mix well again. Form into oblong-shaped cakes, using
about 1 heaped tablespoon or a bit more of mixture for each. Roll them
in breadcrumbs, flatten them to about 1/2 inch thickness and fry in
butter (or ghee) over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side till
golden-brown. Don't overcook them. Serve with mashed potatoes, or
french fried potatoes, or peas, or boiled buckwheat, or green
vegetables, or cauliflower, or any combination of the above.

Variations: Add sour cream (50-75 g) (1.7-2.6 oz) mixed with finely
minced garlic (3-4 cloves) to the mixture before frying (that's what I
usually do). Or add some dill to the mixture. Or make Chicken
'Uzbekiston' (sic): pound a chicken fillet very flat; take some more
chicken breast meat and put it through the grinder together with some
onions; add to the mixture some minced cashew nuts, salt, pepper,
butter, and egg and mix well. Put the mixture in the centre of the
flattened fillet and roll the flesh round it, so that the mixture is
sealed inside the fillet. Secure it with some toothpicks if necessary.
Roll in breadcrumbs and fry in hot butter or ghee.

Victor
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, ~patches~ wrote the following -._
> Zehnders is a fine ground seasoning mix and IIRC McCormicks is a coarse
> mixture. It gives a really nice flavour & colour without the heavier
> texture.

Which is one of the things I like about McCormicks. The flavors are
bold and add color and texture. I am really tired of seasonings where
all you can see is salt, color and salt and when you taste them all
you get is salt and some flavor blend with no clearly discernible
flavors.

> I used to use the Montreal steak spice from them but switched
> over to one put out by Tone's. It comes in a 28 container for almost
> the same price as the little containers McCormick's has and there is no
> noticeable difference in taste.

I get my McCormicks a price club. One 28 lasts almost a year.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson
Edwin Pawlowski

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message

> Make Chicken Pojarski (can also be transliterated as Pojarsky,
> Pozharsky, etc.)
> (Pojarski, who invented this dish, was an innkeeper in Torzhok, Russia
> in 1820's.)
>
> 500 g (about 1.5 lb) chicken flesh (chicken breasts are often used, but
> the original recipe called for the whole boneless and skinless
> chicken; If I use chicken breasts, I sometimes add some skin
> for better flavour. Chicken thighs, especially boneless for
> easier handling, are very good)

> 1 cup breadcrumbs

> Put chicken flesh and white bread through the grinder.

I wonder how this tastes today compared to the typical chicken from 1820.
The grinder was probably needed to make it chewable. There were smaller
breasts in the early breeds so a larger percentage of dark meat also. Even
the white bread would have been much different and more robust than the crap
sold today.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ryan Case

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA

Take three chicken breasts halves half thawed and cut into long thin
strips.

Do the same with one red and one green bell pepper.

Heat just enough olive oil to keep the breast meat from sticking over
medium high heat in a skillet.

Add chix meat and cook halfway done, add peppers.

When chix meat is done, add 1/2 cup of salsa verde and reduce over
med-med low heat.

I usually shred a little cheese over each plate's serving while still
hot. Fast/Easy/Yum/Healthy

Ryan

--
PMFJI as a first time poster to the group like that.
tsr3

Here is a quick and easy recipe--and very good too:

Swiss Baked Chicken

4 skinless chicken breast halves
sliced fresh mushrooms
Dried Italian Seasoning
4 slices motzerella cheese
4 slices swiss cheese
salt, pepper

Rinse/dry chicken--put in greased (Pam) baking pan. Salt and pepper
chicken. Sprinkle mushrooms over chicken--Italian seasoning over
mushrooms. Put one slice swiss on each breast, then one slice motz on
each piece. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until done (bake uncovered)

Very good with rice and fresh green beans.--r3

Victor Sack

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> "Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> >
> > Make Chicken Pojarski (can also be transliterated as Pojarsky,
> > Pozharsky, etc.)
> > (Pojarski, who invented this dish, was an innkeeper in Torzhok, Russia
> > in 1820's.)

> > Put chicken flesh and white bread through the grinder.

> I wonder how this tastes today compared to the typical chicken from 1820.
> The grinder was probably needed to make it chewable. There were smaller
> breasts in the early breeds so a larger percentage of dark meat also. Even
> the white bread would have been much different and more robust than the crap
> sold today.

I don't think you would need to go as far back as the 1820's for that
experience. I'm pretty sure little has changed in any basic way in
Russia as far as raising chicken is concerned until as recently as the
early nineties (20th century, yes). After that, during the elder Bush
administration, American imports appeared, typically chicken cut into
parts, so some of them became known (and maybe that is still the case)
as "Bush legs".

As to the situation before 1990 in Russia and the rest of the Eastern
Europe, chicken were probably little different from that used in the
original Pojarski recipe. I've certainly eaten a lot of them. They
were on average older then the ones usually sold today as roasting (or
similar) chicken, smaller, scrawnier, definitely tougher (but not
actually tough - no grinder needed to make then palatable) and most
certainly tastier, on the whole, than the average supermarket chicken
found in the "Western" countries.

I have no idea if traditionly raised chicken are still available in
Russian and the rest of the Eastern Europe, but I'm pretty sure such
chicken can still be readily found in (parts of) the East Asia, Africa,
and maybe India.

According to the usually told story, the recipe was created because no
veal was on hand for the ordered veal rissoles.

The white bread of the quality in question is even now available - and
not just in Russia - just check, for example, Germany or France. I'm
sure there are some artisanal bakeries in America making something
similar quality-wise, too.

Victor

Ken Knecht wrote:
> I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
> for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.

Chicken breast, lemon juice garlic(diced)
Marinate chicken breast 12-24 hours in lemon juice and garlic
Brush off garlic
Grill.

> No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
> there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
> course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
> I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
>
> TIA
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> "A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
> count on the support of Paul." George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Littleshoes

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

I know of, and hesitate to add, to the mass of 'boiled eggs' posts.

But i have recently intuited a far superior method of peeling boiled
eggs.

It has probably already been stated here several times before, as i tend
to ignore the 'boiled egg' posts that routinely appear here, and that
sarcastically as i apologize in advance for my redundancy.

But i have found, recently, that by putting my finger 'nails' under the
shell rather than pressing down from the top with my fingers i achieve a
better, "peel" of the egg. Most often it comes off in 1 or 2 pieces.
---
JL

Chuck Kopsho

You can also make grilled chicken sandwiches with boneless skinless
chicken breasts.

Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Puester

I recently marinated boneless chicken breasts in sour cream mixed with a
homemade spicy herb/spice mix (supposedly an Outback steakhouse clone,
but much tastier). They marinated about 4 hours, then I baked them.
The original recipe called for rolling in cracker crumbs, but our guest
is low-carbing, so I omitted them. As a result, the breasts didn't
brown much so we sprinkled them with paprika before serving for color.
They were moist and delicious!

The rest of the meal was baked sweet potato wedges and romaine salad
with goat cheese, red oinio, and toasted pecans. Oh, and pickled beets.

gloria p
maxine in ri

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 03:12:16 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes

~Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
~
~I know of, and hesitate to add, to the mass of 'boiled eggs' posts.
~
~But i have recently intuited a far superior method of peeling boiled
~eggs.
~
~It has probably already been stated here several times before, as i
tend
~to ignore the 'boiled egg' posts that routinely appear here, and that
~sarcastically as i apologize in advance for my redundancy.
~
~But i have found, recently, that by putting my finger 'nails' under
the
~shell rather than pressing down from the top with my fingers i
achieve a
~better, "peel" of the egg. Most often it comes off in 1 or 2 pieces.
~---
~JL

I've been taking them for lunch the last few months, and I've found a
couple of thing that seem to really work.

1. Use older eggs. The ones sitting in your fridge for a week or
more.

2. As soon as the timer goes off, chill them under running water or
in a bowl with ice.

3. roll them until the shell is all crackled like a sheet of paper
that's been crumpled, and then the shell just peels off like magic.

maxine in ri
Pandora

"maxine in ri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 03:12:16 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > connected the dots and wrote:
>
> ~Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> ~
> ~I know of, and hesitate to add, to the mass of 'boiled eggs' posts.
> ~
> ~But i have recently intuited a far superior method of peeling boiled
> ~eggs.
> ~
> ~It has probably already been stated here several times before, as i
> tend
> ~to ignore the 'boiled egg' posts that routinely appear here, and that
> ~sarcastically as i apologize in advance for my redundancy.
> ~
> ~But i have found, recently, that by putting my finger 'nails' under
> the
> ~shell rather than pressing down from the top with my fingers i
> achieve a
> ~better, "peel" of the egg. Most often it comes off in 1 or 2 pieces.
> ~---
> ~JL
>
> I've been taking them for lunch the last few months, and I've found a
> couple of thing that seem to really work.
>
> 1. Use older eggs. The ones sitting in your fridge for a week or
> more.
>
> 2. As soon as the timer goes off, chill them under running water or
> in a bowl with ice.
>
> 3. roll them until the shell is all crackled like a sheet of paper
> that's been crumpled, and then the shell just peels off like magic.
>
> maxine in ri

Last point is very interesting!
Pandora

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
maxine in ri > wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 03:12:16 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > connected the dots and wrote:
>
> ~Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> ~
> ~I know of, and hesitate to add, to the mass of 'boiled eggs' posts.
> ~
> ~But i have recently intuited a far superior method of peeling boiled
> ~eggs.
> ~
> ~It has probably already been stated here several times before, as i
> tend
> ~to ignore the 'boiled egg' posts that routinely appear here, and that
> ~sarcastically as i apologize in advance for my redundancy.
> ~
> ~But i have found, recently, that by putting my finger 'nails' under
> the
> ~shell rather than pressing down from the top with my fingers i
> achieve a
> ~better, "peel" of the egg. Most often it comes off in 1 or 2 pieces.
> ~---
> ~JL
>
> I've been taking them for lunch the last few months, and I've found a
> couple of thing that seem to really work.
>
> 1. Use older eggs. The ones sitting in your fridge for a week or
> more.
>
> 2. As soon as the timer goes off, chill them under running water or
> in a bowl with ice.
>
> 3. roll them until the shell is all crackled like a sheet of paper
> that's been crumpled, and then the shell just peels off like magic.
>
> maxine in ri

Steaming instead of boiling works for fresh or any eggs. ;-)
It's the ONLY method I've used that works on newly laid, same day eggs
from my own hens.

Still use the chilling trick, but steaming rox!
--
Om.