Ohmster

Default shredded pork roast, how do I...?

Happy New Year everyone!

I would consider myself a fairly decent cook, for a single man, anyway.

We just had Christmas dinner at my brother's ex-wife's house and one of the
dishes on the menu was a roast pork that easily shredded when pulled at with
two forks. The meat was drenched in some kind of barbeque sauce and it was so
tender and delicious, I just have to have it again. I got a "take home" plate
with some of this wonderful meat on it. Two, large chunks of meat were on the
plate. I pulled it apart with my fingers and mixed it with some K.C. Barbeque
sauce and heated it in the microwave oven in a covered dish. It came out hot,
steamy, tender, and quite wonderful. I said to myself, right there and then,
that I had to find this recipe so that I can make this wonderful roast for
shredded barbeque pork sandwiches on fresh rolls!

I emailed my brother's ex for instructions and what kind of piece of meat to
buy, and of course, she did not write back. I don't think she even bothers
with her email. Yeah, I could call her but we are not "very close" and I
would just rather find the info online where I can print it out and put it in
my favorite recipe notebook. Please help me with some meat selection advice,
cooking instructions for the meat, and if you can recommend a SIMPLE barbeque
sauce (medium spicy would be nice.) or a favorite store bought barbeque
sauce, that would be very helpful.

From what I can remember, the meat came in some kind of gold, foil bag.
(Maybe it was already prepared?) It was put in the oven and roasted and when
it came out, it was a rather large piece of pork, maybe 4-5" high, and 8"
wide, 12" long. It came out of the oven dark brown, and the meat pulled apart
very easily with two forks.

I am going shopping now and am a bit sad that I cannot purchase the roast now
to prepare this week as I don't know what cut of meat to buy or what
ingredients I would need to prepare it.

Please help.

Thank you all and best wishes to everyone for a very happy and safe holiday
season.

--
~Ohmster
Wayne Boatwright

Ohmster > wrote in
:

> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> I would consider myself a fairly decent cook, for a single man,
> anyway.
>
> We just had Christmas dinner at my brother's ex-wife's house and one
> of the dishes on the menu was a roast pork that easily shredded when
> pulled at with two forks. The meat was drenched in some kind of
> barbeque sauce and it was so tender and delicious, I just have to have
> it again. I got a "take home" plate with some of this wonderful meat
> on it. Two, large chunks of meat were on the plate. I pulled it apart
> with my fingers and mixed it with some K.C. Barbeque sauce and heated
> it in the microwave oven in a covered dish. It came out hot, steamy,
> tender, and quite wonderful. I said to myself, right there and then,
> that I had to find this recipe so that I can make this wonderful roast
> for shredded barbeque pork sandwiches on fresh rolls!
>
> I emailed my brother's ex for instructions and what kind of piece of
> meat to buy, and of course, she did not write back. I don't think she
> even bothers with her email. Yeah, I could call her but we are not
> "very close" and I would just rather find the info online where I can
> print it out and put it in my favorite recipe notebook. Please help me
> with some meat selection advice, cooking instructions for the meat,
> and if you can recommend a SIMPLE barbeque sauce (medium spicy would
> be nice.) or a favorite store bought barbeque sauce, that would be
> very helpful.
>
> From what I can remember, the meat came in some kind of gold, foil
> bag. (Maybe it was already prepared?) It was put in the oven and
> roasted and when it came out, it was a rather large piece of pork,
> maybe 4-5" high, and 8" wide, 12" long. It came out of the oven dark
> brown, and the meat pulled apart very easily with two forks.
>
> I am going shopping now and am a bit sad that I cannot purchase the
> roast now to prepare this week as I don't know what cut of meat to buy
> or what ingredients I would need to prepare it.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thank you all and best wishes to everyone for a very happy and safe
> holiday season.

Pork butt, slow-roasted for a long time. I don't mix mine with a
barbecue sauce. I just sprinkle on Louisiana hot sauce when eating.
Reg

Ohmster wrote:

> I am going shopping now and am a bit sad that I cannot purchase the roast now
> to prepare this week as I don't know what cut of meat to buy or what
> ingredients I would need to prepare it.

The cut you want is pork shoulder, either butt (aka Boston
Butt) or picnic. I like either though many would tell you butt is
preferred. Do a search for 'pulled pork', there's lots of info out
there.

I cook mine in a smoker, but you can cook it in an oven. I cook at 250 F
to an internal temperature of 195 F.

jmcquown

Ohmster wrote:
> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> I would consider myself a fairly decent cook, for a single man,
> anyway.
>
> We just had Christmas dinner at my brother's ex-wife's house and one
> of the dishes on the menu was a roast pork that easily shredded when
> pulled at with two forks.

(snip)

Also known as pulled pork, for which you use pork butt or pork shoulder
roast. Best done on a smoker over very low heat for oh, 10-12 hours. You
can roast it in an oven, of course. When you (carefully) remove the meat
from the grill/roasting pan, let it cool for a bit and then, as you said,
shred it with a couple of forks. It is done to perfection when this
requires little effort. Hint: keep one of those large foil roasting pans
handy to put the pulled pork into. You will also perhaps want to chop it
with a cleaver into smaller, bite-sized portions.

At the BBQ joints down here in TN, the meat is not liberally doused in
sauce. Sauce is served on the side and in fact whether sauce is used or not
is a matter of personal taste. What kind is up to you; there are
vinegar-based sauces (my preference if I'm going to add sauce) and
mustard-based sauces. Which brand of commercial sauce really makes no
difference as long as it is one you like; I've found Heinz is just as good
as Corky's.

Also, the local BBQ joints like to serve pulled pork on hamburger buns with
chilled cole slaw on top of the pork. I don't quite understand that,
myself. I prefer it by itself, with perhaps a nice crispy sourdough roll on
the side and a slight sprinkling of sauce on the pork. Or, as Wayne said,
just a dash or two of Tabasco will fit the bill.

Good luck!

Jill

Louis Cohen

In the BBQ world, this is called pulled pork. Get a pork butt, shoulder, or
picnic (ie, a front leg of a pig, or part of it); this is one of the
cheapest cuts of meat around, usually less than $1/lb. Cook low and slow
(typically 220-250° for BBQ) to an internal temp of 195-200°; plan on about
1.5 hrs/lb.

Let the meat rest for a while (ideally wrapped in foil in a place where it
will keep warm), and it will pull apart easily.

It will take to almost any kind of sauce. In Eastern NC, they use a sauce
of cider vinegar, chile flakes, and salt. In other places, any conventional
BBQ sauce will be fine.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Bah! Humbug!

"Ohmster" > wrote in message
> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> I would consider myself a fairly decent cook, for a single man, anyway.
>
> We just had Christmas dinner at my brother's ex-wife's house and one of

the
> dishes on the menu was a roast pork that easily shredded when pulled at

with
> two forks. The meat was drenched in some kind of barbeque sauce and it was

so
> tender and delicious, I just have to have it again. I got a "take home"

plate
> with some of this wonderful meat on it. Two, large chunks of meat were on

the
> plate. I pulled it apart with my fingers and mixed it with some K.C.

Barbeque
> sauce and heated it in the microwave oven in a covered dish. It came out

hot,
> steamy, tender, and quite wonderful. I said to myself, right there and

then,
> that I had to find this recipe so that I can make this wonderful roast for
> shredded barbeque pork sandwiches on fresh rolls!
>
> I emailed my brother's ex for instructions and what kind of piece of meat

> buy, and of course, she did not write back. I don't think she even bothers
> with her email. Yeah, I could call her but we are not "very close" and I
> would just rather find the info online where I can print it out and put it

in
> my favorite recipe notebook. Please help me with some meat selection

advice,
> cooking instructions for the meat, and if you can recommend a SIMPLE

barbeque
> sauce (medium spicy would be nice.) or a favorite store bought barbeque
> sauce, that would be very helpful.
>
> From what I can remember, the meat came in some kind of gold, foil bag.
> (Maybe it was already prepared?) It was put in the oven and roasted and

when
> it came out, it was a rather large piece of pork, maybe 4-5" high, and 8"
> wide, 12" long. It came out of the oven dark brown, and the meat pulled

apart
> very easily with two forks.
>
> I am going shopping now and am a bit sad that I cannot purchase the roast

now
> to prepare this week as I don't know what cut of meat to buy or what
> ingredients I would need to prepare it.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thank you all and best wishes to everyone for a very happy and safe

holiday
> season.
>
> --
> ~Ohmster

Ohmster

Reg > wrote in
m:

> I cook mine in a smoker, but you can cook it in an oven. I cook at 250 F
> to an internal temperature of 195 F.

Very good, thank you Reg. 250 till 195? I have a meat thermometer but about
how long would that take to cook a 4 Lb roast? Temprature seems pretty low
but maybe that is good for the meat? Should the meat be covered?

--
~Ohmster
Ohmster

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Pork butt, slow-roasted for a long time. I don't mix mine with a
> barbecue sauce. I just sprinkle on Louisiana hot sauce when eating.

Thanks Wayne. Could you give me an idea of oven temprature/meat temprature to
achieve this slow cooking for a long time and about how long it should take?
Do you season the meat prior to cooking it?

--
~Ohmster
Ohmster

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Also known as pulled pork, for which you use pork butt or pork shoulder
> roast. Best done on a smoker over very low heat for oh, 10-12 hours.
> You can roast it in an oven, of course. When you (carefully) remove the
> meat from the grill/roasting pan, let it cool for a bit and then, as you
> said, shred it with a couple of forks. It is done to perfection when
> this requires little effort. Hint: keep one of those large foil
> roasting pans handy to put the pulled pork into. You will also perhaps
> want to chop it with a cleaver into smaller, bite-sized portions.
>
> At the BBQ joints down here in TN, the meat is not liberally doused in
> sauce. Sauce is served on the side and in fact whether sauce is used or
> not is a matter of personal taste. What kind is up to you; there are
> vinegar-based sauces (my preference if I'm going to add sauce) and
> mustard-based sauces. Which brand of commercial sauce really makes no
> difference as long as it is one you like; I've found Heinz is just as
> good as Corky's.
>
> Also, the local BBQ joints like to serve pulled pork on hamburger buns
> with chilled cole slaw on top of the pork. I don't quite understand
> that, myself. I prefer it by itself, with perhaps a nice crispy
> sourdough roll on the side and a slight sprinkling of sauce on the pork.
> Or, as Wayne said, just a dash or two of Tabasco will fit the bill.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Jill

Very good and informative answer, thank you Jill. The vinegar based sauce
sounds yummy. Is there a commercial brand available or perhaps a simple
recipe? I don't have a smoker (pout) so the oven will have to do. Can you
recommend a temprature setting for the oven? Will I really have to bake this
for a half a day?

Thank you for the terrific answer.

--
~Ohmster
Ohmster

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in

> In the BBQ world, this is called pulled pork. Get a pork butt,
> shoulder, or picnic (ie, a front leg of a pig, or part of it); this is
> one of the cheapest cuts of meat around, usually less than $1/lb. Cook
> low and slow (typically 220-250° for BBQ) to an internal temp of
> 195-200°; plan on about 1.5 hrs/lb.
>
> Let the meat rest for a while (ideally wrapped in foil in a place where
> it will keep warm), and it will pull apart easily.
>
> It will take to almost any kind of sauce. In Eastern NC, they use a
> sauce of cider vinegar, chile flakes, and salt. In other places, any
> conventional BBQ sauce will be fine.

Oh man this is so freaking perfect! Thank you Louis, Happy New Year!

--
~Ohmster
Reg

Ohmster wrote:

> Very good, thank you Reg. 250 till 195? I have a meat thermometer but about
> how long would that take to cook a 4 Lb roast? Temprature seems pretty low
> but maybe that is good for the meat? Should the meat be covered?

Yes, that's a 250 F oven temp... "Low and Slow". The cooking time
varies with the cut of meat, but estimate at 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
hours per pound. No need to cover it while cooking.

Ohmster

Reg > wrote in
m:

> Yes, that's a 250 F oven temp... "Low and Slow". The cooking time
> varies with the cut of meat, but estimate at 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
> hours per pound. No need to cover it while cooking.

This is excellent and I am *so* going to enjoy doing this. Will post a
picture of the finished result if you want, thanks again Reg,

--
~Ohmster
jmcquown

Ohmster wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Also known as pulled pork, for which you use pork butt or pork
>> shoulder roast. Best done on a smoker over very low heat for oh,
>> 10-12 hours.

> You can roast it in an oven, of course.

When you (carefully) remove
>> the meat from the grill/roasting pan, let it cool for a bit and
>> then, as you said, shred it with a couple of forks. It is done to
>> perfection when this requires little effort. Hint: keep one of
>> those large foil roasting pans handy to put the pulled pork into.
>> You will also perhaps want to chop it with a cleaver into smaller,
>> bite-sized portions.
>>
>> At the BBQ joints down here in TN, the meat is not liberally doused
>> in sauce. Sauce is served on the side and in fact whether sauce is
>> used or not is a matter of personal taste. What kind is up to you;
>> there are vinegar-based sauces (my preference if I'm going to add
>> sauce) and mustard-based sauces. Which brand of commercial sauce
>> really makes no difference as long as it is one you like; I've found
>> Heinz is just as good as Corky's.
>>
>> Also, the local BBQ joints like to serve pulled pork on hamburger
>> buns with chilled cole slaw on top of the pork. I don't quite
>> understand that, myself. I prefer it by itself, with perhaps a nice
>> crispy sourdough roll on the side and a slight sprinkling of sauce
>> on the pork. Or, as Wayne said, just a dash or two of Tabasco will
>> fit the bill.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Jill

> Very good and informative answer, thank you Jill. The vinegar based
> sauce sounds yummy. Is there a commercial brand available or perhaps
> a simple recipe? I don't have a smoker (pout) so the oven will have
> to do. Can you recommend a temprature setting for the oven? Will I
> really have to bake this for a half a day?
>
> Thank you for the terrific answer.

You are welcome. Oven should be set to 225-250F for yes, literally hours!
Use a meat thermometer and roast it until it's at least 190-200F internal
temp. Since I'm not much of a BBQ sauce person, I'll have to defer to
someone else on this. But, as I mentioned, pretty much any bottled BBQ
sauce will do.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

Ohmster > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> Pork butt, slow-roasted for a long time. I don't mix mine with a
>> barbecue sauce. I just sprinkle on Louisiana hot sauce when eating.

> Thanks Wayne. Could you give me an idea of oven temprature/meat
> temprature to achieve this slow cooking for a long time and about how
> long it should take? Do you season the meat prior to cooking it?

Sure... I cook in a covered roaster in the oven at 250 degrees F. I
look for an internal temperature of about 200 degrees F., or until the
meat is absolutely fork tender. If the meat isn't brown enough, you can
remove the roaster cover near the end. Timing will vary by size of meat,
but most of what I cook takes around 3 hours.

I usually use some kind of rub. The following one has a lot of
ingredients, but is quite good. You can find many rubs on the web with
fewer ingredients. Sugar and salt are key should be key components of
any good rub as far as I'm concerned.

HTH

Barbecue Rub

3/8 c Grd black pepper
1/4 c Cayenne (optional)
3/4 c Mild chili powder
3/4 c Cumin
3/4 c Dark brown sugar
3/8 c White sugar
2 tb Grd oregano
1 1/2 c Paprika
3/4 c Salt
3/8 c Grd white pepper
1 1/8 c Celery salt
1 1/8 c Garlic powder
hahabogus

Reg > wrote in
m:

> Ohmster wrote:
>
>> I am going shopping now and am a bit sad that I cannot purchase the
>> roast now to prepare this week as I don't know what cut of meat to
>> buy or what ingredients I would need to prepare it.

> The cut you want is pork shoulder, either butt (aka Boston
> Butt) or picnic. I like either though many would tell you butt is
> preferred. Do a search for 'pulled pork', there's lots of info out
> there.
>
> I cook mine in a smoker, but you can cook it in an oven. I cook at 250
> F to an internal temperature of 195 F.

I do mine in a crock pot . I like the cottage roll/picnic ham version.
That's the factory treated version. It is brined or cured and tastes
somewhat like ham. I just cut the treated pork shoulder out of the
plastic bag and the netting, rinse it off to remove some of the salt and
put it in the crock pot fat side up. I set the crock pot to high and let it
go for around 8-10 hrs. The hard part of this recipe is getting the meat
out of the crock pot in one or two pieces, as it just falls off the bone.
The meat tastes good as cold cuts and great as part of a warm meal. I
slather it in whole grain mustard, at the table.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
Nancy Howells

In article >, hahabogus
> wrote:

> I do mine in a crock pot . I like the cottage roll/picnic ham version.
> That's the factory treated version. It is brined or cured and tastes
> somewhat like ham. I just cut the treated pork shoulder out of the
> plastic bag and the netting, rinse it off to remove some of the salt and
> put it in the crock pot fat side up. I set the crock pot to high and let
> it
> go for around 8-10 hrs. The hard part of this recipe is getting the meat
> out of the crock pot in one or two pieces, as it just falls off the bone.
> The meat tastes good as cold cuts and great as part of a warm meal. I
> slather it in whole grain mustard, at the table.

I like to do mine in the crock as well, but I use either pork roast
(with a good layer of fat) or boston butt. I use a bbq spice rub on it
first, though, and then let it languish in its own juices in the crock.
I usually make a vinegar-based sauce to go with it.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).

Goomba38

Nancy Howells wrote:

> I like to do mine in the crock as well, but I use either pork roast
> (with a good layer of fat) or boston butt. I use a bbq spice rub on it
> first, though, and then let it languish in its own juices in the crock.
> I usually make a vinegar-based sauce to go with it.

I also do mine (boston butt) in the crockpot, with just some onion. I then hand
shred it carefully to remove any trace of fat or icky bits and shred
beautifully. Then into the crock pot it goes again with a mixture of hot wing
sauce, South Carolina style mustard BBQ sauce and some Kansas City style BBQ
sauce (home made). The combination is fantastic. I avoid making it too sloppy
wet, but the flavors really do mingle with the pork well. Love it..
Goomba

Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Howells > wrote in
:

> In article >, hahabogus
> > wrote:
>

>> I do mine in a crock pot . I like the cottage roll/picnic ham
>> version. That's the factory treated version. It is brined or cured
>> and tastes somewhat like ham. I just cut the treated pork shoulder
>> out of the plastic bag and the netting, rinse it off to remove some
>> of the salt and put it in the crock pot fat side up. I set the crock
>> pot to high and let it
>> go for around 8-10 hrs. The hard part of this recipe is getting the
>> meat out of the crock pot in one or two pieces, as it just falls off
>> the bone. The meat tastes good as cold cuts and great as part of a
>> warm meal. I slather it in whole grain mustard, at the table.

> I like to do mine in the crock as well, but I use either pork roast
> (with a good layer of fat) or boston butt. I use a bbq spice rub on
> it first, though, and then let it languish in its own juices in the
> crock. I usually make a vinegar-based sauce to go with it.

Nancy, I've never tried doing it in the crockpot but I'd like to give it
a go. How long and at what setting do you usually cook it? I'm thinking
it might be ideal to put in before going to work.

TIA
Wayne
meatgrinder

Ohmster wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>

>>Also known as pulled pork, for which you use pork butt or pork shoulder
>>roast. Best done on a smoker over very low heat for oh, 10-12 hours.
>>You can roast it in an oven, of course. When you (carefully) remove the
>>meat from the grill/roasting pan, let it cool for a bit and then, as you
>>said, shred it with a couple of forks. It is done to perfection when
>>this requires little effort. Hint: keep one of those large foil
>>roasting pans handy to put the pulled pork into. You will also perhaps
>>want to chop it with a cleaver into smaller, bite-sized portions.
>>
>>At the BBQ joints down here in TN, the meat is not liberally doused in
>>sauce. Sauce is served on the side and in fact whether sauce is used or
>>not is a matter of personal taste. What kind is up to you; there are
>>vinegar-based sauces (my preference if I'm going to add sauce) and
>>mustard-based sauces. Which brand of commercial sauce really makes no
>>difference as long as it is one you like; I've found Heinz is just as
>>good as Corky's.
>>
>>Also, the local BBQ joints like to serve pulled pork on hamburger buns
>>with chilled cole slaw on top of the pork. I don't quite understand
>>that, myself. I prefer it by itself, with perhaps a nice crispy
>>sourdough roll on the side and a slight sprinkling of sauce on the pork.
>> Or, as Wayne said, just a dash or two of Tabasco will fit the bill.
>>
>>Good luck!
>>
>>Jill

> Very good and informative answer, thank you Jill. The vinegar based sauce
> sounds yummy. Is there a commercial brand available or perhaps a simple
> recipe? I don't have a smoker (pout) so the oven will have to do. Can you
> recommend a temprature setting for the oven? Will I really have to bake this
> for a half a day?

Yes, you will have to bake it for a half day at least. This is one of
those meats you can't time to a 'T' when it will be done. It's done
when it's done. Someone has done an experiment and cooked two butts,
same size within oz. same day, same distance from heat, on a smoker and
one took about 2 hours longer than the other. Temperature of meat is
your guide. And the meat should be 195° or so. Probably get away with
190° and also 200°. It is up to you.

The good part though, it is very forgiving. Hard to screw up. If it
gets to 185° and your hungry and impatient and need to eat, go ahead eat
and enjoy. At this point though it is not 'pulled pork' but rather
'sliced pork'. Nothing wrong with that.

meatgrinder

> Thank you for the terrific answer.

Steve Wertz

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:30:20 GMT, Ohmster >
wrote:
>or a favorite store bought barbeque sauce, that would be very helpful.

Lloyds (in the fridge section), or Stubbs (nwow available in most
states). Don't get those nasty sweet Kraft/Heinz/KC sauces.

-sw
hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Nancy Howells > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >, hahabogus
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I do mine in a crock pot . I like the cottage roll/picnic ham
>>> version. That's the factory treated version. It is brined or cured
>>> and tastes somewhat like ham. I just cut the treated pork shoulder
>>> out of the plastic bag and the netting, rinse it off to remove some
>>> of the salt and put it in the crock pot fat side up. I set the crock
>>> pot to high and let it
>>> go for around 8-10 hrs. The hard part of this recipe is getting the
>>> meat out of the crock pot in one or two pieces, as it just falls off
>>> the bone. The meat tastes good as cold cuts and great as part of a
>>> warm meal. I slather it in whole grain mustard, at the table.

>> I like to do mine in the crock as well, but I use either pork roast
>> (with a good layer of fat) or boston butt. I use a bbq spice rub on
>> it first, though, and then let it languish in its own juices in the
>> crock. I usually make a vinegar-based sauce to go with it.
>>

> Nancy, I've never tried doing it in the crockpot but I'd like to give
> it a go. How long and at what setting do you usually cook it? I'm
> thinking it might be ideal to put in before going to work.
>
> TIA
> Wayne

Up here the roasts are weighed in metric. A 3 kg or slighty larger is all
that will fit in my 6qt crockpot. And at that size it takes close to 10 hrs
on high. So my guess is that it would be perfect for the 'cook while you
work' gendre.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago

Wayne Boatwright

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> Nancy Howells > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> In article >, hahabogus

>>> I like to do mine in the crock as well, but I use either pork roast
>>> (with a good layer of fat) or boston butt. I use a bbq spice rub on
>>> it first, though, and then let it languish in its own juices in the
>>> crock. I usually make a vinegar-based sauce to go with it.
>>>

>> Nancy, I've never tried doing it in the crockpot but I'd like to give
>> it a go. How long and at what setting do you usually cook it? I'm
>> thinking it might be ideal to put in before going to work.
>>
>> TIA
>> Wayne
>>

> Up here the roasts are weighed in metric. A 3 kg or slighty larger is
> all that will fit in my 6qt crockpot. And at that size it takes close
> to 10 hrs on high. So my guess is that it would be perfect for the
> 'cook while you work' gendre.

Thanks! I'll use that as a guideline.
DRB

"Ohmster" > wrote in message
> Very good and informative answer, thank you Jill. The vinegar based sauce
> sounds yummy. Is there a commercial brand available or perhaps a simple
> recipe? I don't have a smoker (pout) so the oven will have to do. Can you
> recommend a temprature setting for the oven? Will I really have to bake

this
> for a half a day?
>
> Thank you for the terrific answer.
>
> --
> ~Ohmster

I'm a southern gal who is transplanted to CA for most of the year, so I had
to learn to make a replacement for bbq... I start the shoulder on my grill,
and usually end up finishing off in the oven. I like the vinegar based
sauces, particularly one on the apparently now-defunct southernbarbeque.com.
I'm at my parents right now, so I can't get to the print out of the recipie
I use. I'm looking for one that's similar, but haven't found one yet. I
know I use ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper, and a few other
things I can't remember in it...

This url
http://www.anythingsouthern.com/fram...e/recipes.html
seems to have several recipies for the southern style fare...

HTH

In rec.food.cooking, Ohmster > wrote:
> Reg > wrote in
> m:

> > I cook mine in a smoker, but you can cook it in an oven. I cook at 250 F
> > to an internal temperature of 195 F.

> Very good, thank you Reg. 250 till 195? I have a meat thermometer but about
> how long would that take to cook a 4 Lb roast? Temprature seems pretty low
> but maybe that is good for the meat? Should the meat be covered?

You'll be pushing it with a small roast. The trick is to dissolve the
collagen into gelatin, so the butt falls apart. The collagen starts to
dissolve at around 140, and more like 160. If your roast is small, it
will heat up too quickly and dry out before it gets tender.

Yur best bet is to do a bigger roast, and to cook it low and slow
(preferably in the fragrant smoke of hardwood embers, but that is not
strictly required, unless you want it to taste absolutely delicious).

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Ohmster > wrote:
> Reg > wrote in
> m:

> > Yes, that's a 250 F oven temp... "Low and Slow". The cooking time
> > varies with the cut of meat, but estimate at 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
> > hours per pound. No need to cover it while cooking.

> This is excellent and I am *so* going to enjoy doing this. Will post a
> picture of the finished result if you want, thanks again Reg,

One detail that was not mentioned - a lot of fat will render out. You
really should use some kind of roast rack so the meat will not soak in
the pudde of fat.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Ohmster

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> 3/8 c Grd black pepper
> 1/4 c Cayenne (optional)
> 3/4 c Mild chili powder

Thank you again, Wayne, this is excellent. All saved for when a'roastin' time
comes around.

....(gulp) did you say a quarter cup of cayenne pepper?!!! You mean that hot-
as-hell red powder? Wouldn't this like, burn your face off or something? :P

Thanks!

--
~Ohmster

Ohmster

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> I do mine in a crock pot . I like the cottage roll/picnic ham version.
> That's the factory treated version. It is brined or cured and tastes
> somewhat like ham. I just cut the treated pork shoulder out of the
> plastic bag and the netting, rinse it off to remove some of the salt and
> put it in the crock pot fat side up. I set the crock pot to high and let
> it go for around 8-10 hrs. The hard part of this recipe is getting the
> meat out of the crock pot in one or two pieces, as it just falls off the
> bone. The meat tastes good as cold cuts and great as part of a warm
> meal. I slather it in whole grain mustard, at the table.

Nice variation, thank you!

--
~Ohmster
Ohmster

meatgrinder > wrote in

> The good part though, it is very forgiving. Hard to screw up. If it
> gets to 185° and your hungry and impatient and need to eat, go ahead eat
> and enjoy. At this point though it is not 'pulled pork' but rather
> 'sliced pork'. Nothing wrong with that.
>
> meatgrinder

Hmmm, good to know. Thanks!

--
~Ohmster

Ohmster

"DRB" > wrote in
m:

> This url
> http://www.anythingsouthern.com/fram.../xroads.virgin
> ia.edu/~MA95/dove/recipes.html seems to have several recipies for the
> southern style fare...

This is very helpful, thank you!

--
~Ohmster
Ohmster

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

> Lloyds (in the fridge section), or Stubbs (nwow available in most
> states). Don't get those nasty sweet Kraft/Heinz/KC sauces.
>
> -sw

Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere. Such secrets of the Southern Chef! Thanks
sw. True, the abovementioned sauces are very sweet. Would like to try the
vinegar kind.

--
~Ohmster
Wayne Boatwright

Ohmster > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> 3/8 c Grd black pepper
>> 1/4 c Cayenne (optional)
>> 3/4 c Mild chili powder

> Thank you again, Wayne, this is excellent. All saved for when
> a'roastin' time comes around.
>
> ...(gulp) did you say a quarter cup of cayenne pepper?!!! You mean
> that hot- as-hell red powder? Wouldn't this like, burn your face off
> or something? :P
>
> Thanks!

Combined with everything else, the ratio isn't all that great. Also, just
being on the surface and going through such long slow cooking, the flavor
seems to mellow out. You can certainly adjust it down, however.

Have fun,
Wayne
blake murphy

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:02:42 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Also, the local BBQ joints like to serve pulled pork on hamburger buns with
>chilled cole slaw on top of the pork. I don't quite understand that,
>myself. I prefer it by itself, with perhaps a nice crispy sourdough roll on
>the side and a slight sprinkling of sauce on the pork. Or, as Wayne said,
>just a dash or two of Tabasco will fit the bill.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Jill

i never have been able to wrap my mind around the cole slaw thing.
especially since it usually seems to be slaw i wouldn't enjoy by
itself.

your pal,
blake
DRB

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> i never have been able to wrap my mind around the cole slaw thing.
> especially since it usually seems to be slaw i wouldn't enjoy by
> itself.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You think the slaw is a nasty idea... The summer between undegrad and
graduate school (2002), I worked in the kitchen at a bbq place in town as it
was the only place I could find that would hire me just for the summer...
The things people will order on bbq sandwhiches is just amazing. I think
the most disgusting is cheese. American Cheese on a bbq sandwhich...
yuck...

blake murphy

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:20:46 GMT, "DRB" > wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> i never have been able to wrap my mind around the cole slaw thing.
>> especially since it usually seems to be slaw i wouldn't enjoy by
>> itself.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>You think the slaw is a nasty idea... The summer between undegrad and
>graduate school (2002), I worked in the kitchen at a bbq place in town as it
>was the only place I could find that would hire me just for the summer...
>The things people will order on bbq sandwhiches is just amazing. I think
>the most disgusting is cheese. American Cheese on a bbq sandwhich...
>yuck...

someone must be buying it. does sound gross, though.

your pal,
blake
DRB

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:20:46 GMT, "DRB" > wrote:
>

> >"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> i never have been able to wrap my mind around the cole slaw thing.
> >> especially since it usually seems to be slaw i wouldn't enjoy by
> >> itself.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> >You think the slaw is a nasty idea... The summer between undegrad and
> >graduate school (2002), I worked in the kitchen at a bbq place in town as

it
> >was the only place I could find that would hire me just for the summer...
> >The things people will order on bbq sandwhiches is just amazing. I think
> >the most disgusting is cheese. American Cheese on a bbq sandwhich...
> >yuck...
> >

> someone must be buying it. does sound gross, though.

It definitely wasn't a standard menu item--the am. cheese on the
sandwhiches-- but people could ask to have it put on there. We'd have maybe
2 people a night ask.

Topper

Ohmster > wrote in message >...
> Steve Wertz > wrote in
> :
>
> > Lloyds (in the fridge section), or Stubbs (nwow available in most
> > states). Don't get those nasty sweet Kraft/Heinz/KC sauces.
> >
> > -sw

> Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere. Such secrets of the Southern Chef! Thanks
> sw. True, the abovementioned sauces are very sweet. Would like to try the
> vinegar kind.

Weber Grills (weber.com) has a recipe for pulled pork with vinegar
sauce. If you don't have a grill, you can use the oven roasting
method provided by others here, but the vinegar sauce recipe is yum!

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/...x?c=pork&r=118

Shredded pork for lunch Nancy Young General Cooking 6 22-02-2008 06:26 PM
Shredded Pork Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-01-2006 01:02 PM
Question??? shredded beef?? Sirloin roast??? Spoons General Cooking 0 03-10-2004 01:50 PM
Nick Z's Shredded Pork Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-07-2004 10:05 PM
SHREDDED PORK A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 14 02-11-2003 02:43 AM