Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2009-10-15) NS-RFC: Are you capable of...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com

All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
going to blame Chris Dabney for it...

Thanks Chris ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 9:53*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>
> Thanks Chris *;-)

Occasionally I follow a recipe, but pretty much only for baking.

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>

> Thanks Chris ;-)

I'm never getting another TFH, am I? Dang.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 9:56*am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> ChattyCathy > *news:uHGBm.77208$944.72513
> @newsfe09.iad: in rec.food.cooking
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> > All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
> > going to blame Chris Dabney for it...

> Well hell, I'm number 4 this time. I seldom follow a recipe "to the
> letter" unless it's the first time I've made the dish. After I've made it
> once I do with it as I please.

Yeah, I got there first this time. First time EVER for me.

> Michael

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:

> On Oct 15, 9:56Â*am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>> ChattyCathy > Â*news:uHGBm.77208$944.72513
>> @newsfe09.iad: in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> > All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So
>> > I'm going to blame Chris Dabney for it...

>> Well hell, I'm number 4 this time. I seldom follow a recipe "to the
>> letter" unless it's the first time I've made the dish. After I've
>> made it once I do with it as I please.

> Yeah, I got there first this time. First time EVER for me.

There's a first time for everything ;-)

Would you like to choose a TFH?

BTW, I'm with Michael on this one - to the letter first time round,
after that it's tweaking time... <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
>> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>>

>> Thanks Chris ;-)

> I'm never getting another TFH, am I? Dang.
>
> nancy

Were you number 2? I must have beat you by seconds....my closet is
getting kind of full.
Hmm. Which TFH should I pick? I like the new mop. I'll take that one.

As for following a recipe. it depends on the recipe. If it is a
baked item - I usually follow to the letter but a savory dish the
first time, maybe I will follow to the letter, and tweak later but I
have been known to take a recipe and adapt it. I guess it all
depends on how good the recipe looks.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:
> On Oct 15, 9:56 am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>> ChattyCathy > news:uHGBm.77208$944.72513
>> @newsfe09.iad: in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
>>> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...

>> Well hell, I'm number 4 this time. I seldom follow a recipe "to the
>> letter" unless it's the first time I've made the dish. After I've made it
>> once I do with it as I please.

> Yeah, I got there first this time. First time EVER for me.
>> Michael

> --Bryan

Wait, I thought I was first?? Hmm. A tie??

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:05*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> --Bryan wrote:
> > On Oct 15, 9:56*am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >> ChattyCathy > *news:uHGBm.77208$944.72513
> >> @newsfe09.iad: in rec.food.cooking

> >> Well hell, I'm number 4 this time. I seldom follow a recipe "to the
> >> letter" unless it's the first time I've made the dish. After I've
> >> made it once I do with it as I please.

> > Yeah, I got there first this time. *First time EVER for me.

> There's a first time for everything ;-)
>
> Would you like to choose a TFH?
>
> BTW, I'm with Michael on this one - to the letter first time round,
> after that it's tweaking time... <g>

Well, I obviously can't choose the Miracle Whip one, and I guess since
I'm a building custodian, it had better be the mop one. I'm awfully
good with a mop.

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:

> On Oct 15, 10:05Â*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> --Bryan wrote:

>> > Yeah, I got there first this time. Â*First time EVER for me.

>> There's a first time for everything ;-)
>>
>> Would you like to choose a TFH?
>>
>> BTW, I'm with Michael on this one - to the letter first time round,
>> after that it's tweaking time... <g>

> Well, I obviously can't choose the Miracle Whip one, and I guess since
> I'm a building custodian, it had better be the mop one. I'm awfully
> good with a mop.

Got some free time to come and clean up my kitchen? <very evil grin>

Enjoy ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So
>>> I'm going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>>>

>>> Thanks Chris ;-)

>> I'm never getting another TFH, am I? Dang.

> Were you number 2? I must have beat you by seconds....my closet is
> getting kind of full.

I was 5th! Didn't even place or show, never mind win.

> Hmm. Which TFH should I pick? I like the new mop. I'll take that one.

Oh, that *is* stylish.

> As for following a recipe. it depends on the recipe. If it is a
> baked item - I usually follow to the letter but a savory dish the
> first time, maybe I will follow to the letter, and tweak later but I
> have been known to take a recipe and adapt it. I guess it all
> depends on how good the recipe looks.

If I'm unsure of what a recipe is supposed turn out like, I will follow
the recipe the first time. All bets are off after that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So
>>> I'm going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>>>

>>> Thanks Chris ;-)

>> I'm never getting another TFH, am I? Dang.
>>
>> nancy

> Were you number 2? I must have beat you by seconds....my closet is
> getting kind of full.
> Hmm. Which TFH should I pick? I like the new mop. I'll take that one.

Ohhh. Yet another tie. You're welcome to a mop too <g>

> As for following a recipe. it depends on the recipe. If it is a
> baked item - I usually follow to the letter but a savory dish the
> first time, maybe I will follow to the letter, and tweak later but I
> have been known to take a recipe and adapt it. I guess it all
> depends on how good the recipe looks.

Personal preference rulz!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:12*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> --Bryan wrote:

> >> There's a first time for everything ;-)

> >> Would you like to choose a TFH?

> >> BTW, I'm with Michael on this one - to the letter first time round,
> >> after that it's tweaking time... <g>

> > Well, I obviously can't choose the Miracle Whip one, and I guess since
> > I'm a building custodian, it had better be the mop one. *I'm awfully
> > good with a mop.

> Got some free time to come and clean up my kitchen? <very evil grin>

Do you have a free round trip ticket to SA?

> Enjoy ;-)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:

> On Oct 15, 10:12Â*am, ChattyCathy wrote:

>> Got some free time to come and clean up my kitchen? <very evil grin>

> Do you have a free round trip ticket to SA?

Touché!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--Bryan wrote:
> On Oct 15, 9:53 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
>> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>>
>> Thanks Chris ;-)

> Occasionally I follow a recipe, but pretty much only for baking.

I usually follow a recipe as closely as possible the first time I try
it, though I am likely to have come across a recipe in a magazine or
something and get an idea how to do something and then give it a try
without the recipe in front of me...... except when baking.

That being said..... I taught my son how to bake chocolate chip cookies
when he was young. I came home from work one day when he was about 14-15
and found him making a batch. I was upset because, instead of creaming
the shortening and sugar with the eggs and then adding the dry
ingredients as the recipe says, he had put everything into a mixing bowl
together and was beating them with the electric mixer. I was sure that
they were going to be ruined. They weren't. They were better than mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>

> Thanks Chris ;-)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Who measures EXACTLY 1/2 cup of onions for example. I use what I think is a
1/2 cup size onion. Is the tweaking?
--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:40:05 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> --Bryan wrote:
>> On Oct 15, 9:53 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
>>> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>>>
>>> Thanks Chris ;-)

>> Occasionally I follow a recipe, but pretty much only for baking.

> I usually follow a recipe as closely as possible the first time I try
> it, though I am likely to have come across a recipe in a magazine or
> something and get an idea how to do something and then give it a try
> without the recipe in front of me...... except when baking.
>
> That being said..... I taught my son how to bake chocolate chip cookies
> when he was young. I came home from work one day when he was about 14-15
> and found him making a batch. I was upset because, instead of creaming
> the shortening and sugar with the eggs and then adding the dry
> ingredients as the recipe says, he had put everything into a mixing bowl
> together and was beating them with the electric mixer. I was sure that
> they were going to be ruined. They weren't. They were better than mine.

too funny. but if the pupil never outshone the teacher, we'd never get
anywhere.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:05:24 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> --Bryan wrote:
>
>> On Oct 15, 9:56*am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>>> ChattyCathy > *news:uHGBm.77208$944.72513
>>> @newsfe09.iad: in rec.food.cooking

>>> Well hell, I'm number 4 this time. I seldom follow a recipe "to the
>>> letter" unless it's the first time I've made the dish. After I've
>>> made it once I do with it as I please.

>> Yeah, I got there first this time. First time EVER for me.

> There's a first time for everything ;-)
>
> Would you like to choose a TFH?
>
> BTW, I'm with Michael on this one - to the letter first time round,
> after that it's tweaking time... <g>

it's good you put in 'provided you can get all the ingredients.' i might
not have something like white wine vinegar on hand (just to pick an
example. one of the other half-dozen vinegars will have to do).

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>
>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
>> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>>

>> Thanks Chris ;-)

> Who measures EXACTLY 1/2 cup of onions for example.

My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
measuring spoon and use exactly that amount. Drives me nuts, but hey,
his food always tastes good (except his 'special cabbage', of course -
blech, gag, etc.)

And another thing... how big is a 'large onion' or a 'medium potato' -
or a 'handful of olives'? IMWTK.

> I use what I
> think is a 1/2 cup size onion. Is the tweaking?

IMHO? No. That's following the recipe <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:

>> Who measures EXACTLY 1/2 cup of onions for example.

> My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
> measuring spoon and use exactly that amount.

Is he an engineer by any chance? Or a Virgo. (laugh)

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> Who measures EXACTLY 1/2 cup of onions for example.

>> My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
>> measuring spoon and use exactly that amount.

> Is he an engineer by any chance?

Asamatta'o'fact, he was an aircraft engineer (in WW II) <g>

> Or a Virgo. (laugh)

I'd be lying if I said yes to that; I'm not really au fait with other
peoples 'signs' - selfish, I know...

<some googling>

Scorpio - which might explain it as well ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>> Who measures EXACTLY 1/2 cup of onions for example.

> My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
> measuring spoon and use exactly that amount. Drives me nuts, but hey,
> his food always tastes good (except his 'special cabbage', of course -
> blech, gag, etc.)
>
> And another thing... how big is a 'large onion' or a 'medium potato' -
> or a 'handful of olives'? IMWTK.

My wife's (late) best friend and her husband (still alive) were very
meticulous. I don't think they would be so anal as to measure a 1/2 cup
of onion, but tended to follow tried and tested recipes very closely. he
was the BBQ cook and did roasts, leg of lamb etc. He used a paper
chimney to light briquettes, and any leftover briquettes were put into
an old paint can and the top put on to extinguish them. Then the next
time his coals were dying down and he needed more briquettes he would
put some of the old ones on so as not to get the starter fuel taste. He
had to put the roast on the spit and have it turn a certain way. He was
much fussier about that than I was, and as much as they both raved about
my freer and more adventurous style of cooking, I have to say that
everything he did on the BBQ was excellent.

>> I use what I
>> think is a 1/2 cup size onion. Is the tweaking?

> IMHO? No. That's following the recipe <g>

I view recipes as guidelines. a half cup of onion is not always the
same. They vary in taste and moisture content. I tend to go more for a
small, medium or large onion. I vary the amount og garlic depending on
how strong they are, using more if it is old and less if they are fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:53*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> All this cookalong/,RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>
> Thanks Chris *;-)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Invariably, I have to change a recipe due to lack of an ingreed in the
house -

lately, if anything calls for a bay leaf, I just laugh and surge
ahead. I've used my last.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Is he an engineer by any chance?

> Asamatta'o'fact, he was an aircraft engineer (in WW II) <g>

Case closed.
"I'm like that because I'm an engineer."
"No, you're an engineer because you're like that."
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
>>> measuring spoon and use exactly that amount.

>> Is he an engineer by any chance?

> Asamatta'o'fact, he was an aircraft engineer (in WW II) <g>

There you go.

>> Or a Virgo. (laugh)

> I'd be lying if I said yes to that; I'm not really au fait with other
> peoples 'signs' - selfish, I know...
>
> <some googling>
>
> Scorpio - which might explain it as well ;-)

Indeed, that's true, too.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Is he an engineer by any chance?

>> Asamatta'o'fact, he was an aircraft engineer (in WW II) <g>

> Case closed.
> "I'm like that because I'm an engineer."
> "No, you're an engineer because you're like that."

More than 25 years ago I was an engineering superintendent with a major
oil company. One of my young mechanical engineers and I were discussing
some details on a print and he turned and asked me where I got my
engineering degree. Told him real fast that I had a "real" degree and it
was in Behavioral Science, mainly sociology and psychology. He was
amazed that I would know much about many engineering disciplines. He
felt better after I told him I worked the first eighteen years of my
career sans degree and with my hands.

I only ever met two engineers in my 47 year career in the oil patch that
could spell, and both of those actually kept dictionaries on their desks.

Old joke in the oil patch, what does an engineer call a liberal arts
major five years out of college - "Boss."

One of my guys had a sign hanging behind his desk. "Yesterday I couldn't
even spell hengineer and now I are one." He was one of the really good
ones too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>

> Thanks Chris ;-)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

As far as I'm concerned recipes are only suggestions anyway. Even recipes
for baked goods can be tweaked somewhat.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> it's good you put in 'provided you can get all the ingredients.' i
> might not have something like white wine vinegar on hand (just to pick
> an
> example. one of the other half-dozen vinegars will have to do).

Yup - that's why I put that in. I've seen plenty of recipes posted here
that call for ingredients that aren't readily available over here - and
I either have to ask the group what to substitute (or look it up on
that "Cook's Thesaurus" website. Nifty site that, I hafta admit).

Heh. I just checked my cupboards. At the moment I have 4 types of
vinegar: white wine, red wine, balsamic and a bottle of clear vinegar
that just claims to be 'grape' vinegar (don't ask me what kind of
grape, it doesn't say. <grin>

I also have a bottle of very el cheapo 'spirit' vinegar - but that only
gets used for de-scaling the lime build-up from my tea kettle element -
and cleaning other stuff in the kitchen, not for cooking or salad
dressings...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Oct 2009 13:45:12 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>blake murphy > news:zs9d9v9awvp6
: in rec.food.cooking

>Blake to Cathy:
>> it's good you put in 'provided you can get all the ingredients.' i might
>> not have something like white wine vinegar on hand (just to pick an
>> example. one of the other half-dozen vinegars will have to do).

>I agree. There have been times I've had to substitute. Many times I've
>substituted parsley for cilantro if I didn't have cilantro on hand. Vinegar
>is a good example also.
>
>Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:53*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>
> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>
> Thanks Chris *;-)

I got a garlic soup recipe this weekend that my husband threatened to
divorce me and marry the chef (who told him to get in line) for. The
first time, I will follow it to the "letter" (he already told me he
roasts and not sautees the garlic). After that, all bets are off.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:18:49 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
>

>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
>>>
>>> All this cookalong/RFC recipes talk made me think of this one. So I'm
>>> going to blame Chris Dabney for it...
>>>

>>> Thanks Chris ;-)

>> Who measures EXACTLY 1/2 cup of onions for example.

> My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
> measuring spoon and use exactly that amount. Drives me nuts, but hey,
> his food always tastes good (except his 'special cabbage', of course -
> blech, gag, etc.)
>
> And another thing... how big is a 'large onion' or a 'medium potato' -
> or a 'handful of olives'? IMWTK.

precision counts. a 'medium potato' is larger than a small potato but not
quite as big as a large potato.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:23:27 -0500, George Shirley wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> ChattyCathy > wrote:

>>> Asamatta'o'fact, he was an aircraft engineer (in WW II) <g>

>> Case closed.
>> "I'm like that because I'm an engineer."
>> "No, you're an engineer because you're like that."

> More than 25 years ago I was an engineering superintendent with a major
> oil company. One of my young mechanical engineers and I were discussing
> some details on a print and he turned and asked me where I got my
> engineering degree. Told him real fast that I had a "real" degree and it
> was in Behavioral Science, mainly sociology and psychology. He was
> amazed that I would know much about many engineering disciplines. He
> felt better after I told him I worked the first eighteen years of my
> career sans degree and with my hands.
>
> I only ever met two engineers in my 47 year career in the oil patch that
> could spell, and both of those actually kept dictionaries on their desks.

that's a good sign, actually. many engineers wouldn't bother, since
'spelling doesn't matter.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:18:49 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> Who measures EXACTLY 1/2 cup of onions for example.

>> My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
>> measuring spoon and use exactly that amount. Drives me nuts, but hey,
>> his food always tastes good (except his 'special cabbage', of course
>> - blech, gag, etc.)
>>
>> And another thing... how big is a 'large onion' or a 'medium potato'
>> - or a 'handful of olives'? IMWTK.

> precision counts. a 'medium potato' is larger than a small potato but
> not quite as big as a large potato.

Thank you for that precise answer.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:50:09 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> precision counts. a 'medium potato' is larger than a small potato but
>> not quite as big as a large potato.

>Thank you for that precise answer.

Maybe that should go in the FAQ!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:30:33 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> it's good you put in 'provided you can get all the ingredients.' i
>> might not have something like white wine vinegar on hand (just to pick
>> an
>> example. one of the other half-dozen vinegars will have to do).

> Yup - that's why I put that in. I've seen plenty of recipes posted here
> that call for ingredients that aren't readily available over here - and
> I either have to ask the group what to substitute (or look it up on
> that "Cook's Thesaurus" website. Nifty site that, I hafta admit).
>
> Heh. I just checked my cupboards. At the moment I have 4 types of
> vinegar: white wine, red wine, balsamic and a bottle of clear vinegar
> that just claims to be 'grape' vinegar (don't ask me what kind of
> grape, it doesn't say. <grin>
>
> I also have a bottle of very el cheapo 'spirit' vinegar - but that only
> gets used for de-scaling the lime build-up from my tea kettle element -
> and cleaning other stuff in the kitchen, not for cooking or salad
> dressings...

i have a bottle of white that i only bought fairly recently to clean stuff.
there aren't many food items i'd use it in, preferring something more
interesting.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:50:09 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> My Dad. I kid you not. If the recipe says "15ml of XXX" he'll take a
>>> measuring spoon and use exactly that amount. Drives me nuts, but hey,
>>> his food always tastes good (except his 'special cabbage', of course
>>> - blech, gag, etc.)
>>>
>>> And another thing... how big is a 'large onion' or a 'medium potato'
>>> - or a 'handful of olives'? IMWTK.

>> precision counts. a 'medium potato' is larger than a small potato but
>> not quite as big as a large potato.

> Thank you for that precise answer.

i was a scientist until they kicked me out of the club.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote

> i have a bottle of white that i only bought fairly recently to clean
> stuff.
> there aren't many food items i'd use it in, preferring something more
> interesting.

I have a 5 gallon jug of the cheapest white. It's in the garage and used to
kiil grass that grows between the slabs on my driveway. Works really well!
Better than round-up and ecologically totally friendly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:30:33 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> it's good you put in 'provided you can get all the ingredients.' i
>>> might not have something like white wine vinegar on hand (just to
>>> pick an
>>> example. one of the other half-dozen vinegars will have to do).

>> Yup - that's why I put that in. I've seen plenty of recipes posted
>> here that call for ingredients that aren't readily available over
>> here - and I either have to ask the group what to substitute (or
>> look it up on that "Cook's Thesaurus" website. Nifty site that, I
>> hafta admit).
>>
>> Heh. I just checked my cupboards. At the moment I have 4 types of
>> vinegar: white wine, red wine, balsamic and a bottle of clear vinegar
>> that just claims to be 'grape' vinegar (don't ask me what kind of
>> grape, it doesn't say. <grin>
>>
>> I also have a bottle of very el cheapo 'spirit' vinegar - but that
>> only gets used for de-scaling the lime build-up from my tea kettle
>> element - and cleaning other stuff in the kitchen, not for cooking
>> or salad dressings...

> i have a bottle of white that i only bought fairly recently to clean
> stuff. there aren't many food items i'd use it in, preferring
> something more interesting.

Apple cider vinagar is a pretty good "all round" vinegar to have on hand,
blake, plus it's cheap...

White vinegar I purchase by the gallon for cleaning purposes, it's very
effective, and also cheaper than all those over-priced cleaning products...

I use a little for cooking, but not much...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:50:57 -0500, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Yup - that's why I put that in. I've seen plenty of recipes posted
>>> here that call for ingredients that aren't readily available over
>>> here - and I either have to ask the group what to substitute (or
>>> look it up on that "Cook's Thesaurus" website. Nifty site that, I
>>> hafta admit).
>>>
>>> Heh. I just checked my cupboards. At the moment I have 4 types of
>>> vinegar: white wine, red wine, balsamic and a bottle of clear vinegar
>>> that just claims to be 'grape' vinegar (don't ask me what kind of
>>> grape, it doesn't say. <grin>
>>>
>>> I also have a bottle of very el cheapo 'spirit' vinegar - but that
>>> only gets used for de-scaling the lime build-up from my tea kettle
>>> element - and cleaning other stuff in the kitchen, not for cooking
>>> or salad dressings...

>> i have a bottle of white that i only bought fairly recently to clean
>> stuff. there aren't many food items i'd use it in, preferring
>> something more interesting.

> Apple cider vinagar is a pretty good "all round" vinegar to have on hand,
> blake, plus it's cheap...

it's probably a toss-up whether i use more cider vinegar or rice vinegar
(for different things, of course).

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:04:14 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"blake murphy" wrote
>
>> i have a bottle of white that i only bought fairly recently to clean
>> stuff.
>> there aren't many food items i'd use it in, preferring something more
>> interesting.

>I have a 5 gallon jug of the cheapest white. It's in the garage and used to
>kiil grass that grows between the slabs on my driveway. Works really well!
>Better than round-up and ecologically totally friendly.

I guess you could say your weeds die happy!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:02:02 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:04:14 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>"blake murphy" wrote
>>
>>> i have a bottle of white that i only bought fairly recently to clean
>>> stuff.
>>> there aren't many food items i'd use it in, preferring something more
>>> interesting.

>>I have a 5 gallon jug of the cheapest white. It's in the garage and used to
>>kiil grass that grows between the slabs on my driveway. Works really well!
>>Better than round-up and ecologically totally friendly.

> I guess you could say your weeds die happy!

pickled, at the very least.

your pal,
blake