Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default (2009-10-15) NS-RFC: Are you capable of...

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Is he an engineer by any chance?

>> Asamatta'o'fact, he was an aircraft engineer (in WW II) <g>

> Case closed.
> "I'm like that because I'm an engineer."
> "No, you're an engineer because you're like that."

More than 25 years ago I was an engineering superintendent with a major
oil company. One of my young mechanical engineers and I were discussing
some details on a print and he turned and asked me where I got my
engineering degree. Told him real fast that I had a "real" degree and it
was in Behavioral Science, mainly sociology and psychology. He was
amazed that I would know much about many engineering disciplines. He
felt better after I told him I worked the first eighteen years of my
career sans degree and with my hands.

I only ever met two engineers in my 47 year career in the oil patch that
could spell, and both of those actually kept dictionaries on their desks.

Old joke in the oil patch, what does an engineer call a liberal arts
major five years out of college - "Boss."

One of my guys had a sign hanging behind his desk. "Yesterday I couldn't
even spell hengineer and now I are one." He was one of the really good
ones too.