Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default (2009-10-15) NS-RFC: Are you capable of...

blake murphy wrote:

> it's good you put in 'provided you can get all the ingredients.' i
> might not have something like white wine vinegar on hand (just to pick
> an
> example. one of the other half-dozen vinegars will have to do).

Yup - that's why I put that in. I've seen plenty of recipes posted here
that call for ingredients that aren't readily available over here - and
I either have to ask the group what to substitute (or look it up on
that "Cook's Thesaurus" website. Nifty site that, I hafta admit).

Heh. I just checked my cupboards. At the moment I have 4 types of
vinegar: white wine, red wine, balsamic and a bottle of clear vinegar
that just claims to be 'grape' vinegar (don't ask me what kind of
grape, it doesn't say. <grin>

I also have a bottle of very el cheapo 'spirit' vinegar - but that only
gets used for de-scaling the lime build-up from my tea kettle element -
and cleaning other stuff in the kitchen, not for cooking or salad
dressings...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy