Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_357_] Gregory Morrow[_357_] is offline

Default (2009-10-15) NS-RFC: Are you capable of...

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:30:33 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> it's good you put in 'provided you can get all the ingredients.' i
>>> might not have something like white wine vinegar on hand (just to
>>> pick an
>>> example. one of the other half-dozen vinegars will have to do).

>> Yup - that's why I put that in. I've seen plenty of recipes posted
>> here that call for ingredients that aren't readily available over
>> here - and I either have to ask the group what to substitute (or
>> look it up on that "Cook's Thesaurus" website. Nifty site that, I
>> hafta admit).
>>
>> Heh. I just checked my cupboards. At the moment I have 4 types of
>> vinegar: white wine, red wine, balsamic and a bottle of clear vinegar
>> that just claims to be 'grape' vinegar (don't ask me what kind of
>> grape, it doesn't say. <grin>
>>
>> I also have a bottle of very el cheapo 'spirit' vinegar - but that
>> only gets used for de-scaling the lime build-up from my tea kettle
>> element - and cleaning other stuff in the kitchen, not for cooking
>> or salad dressings...

> i have a bottle of white that i only bought fairly recently to clean
> stuff. there aren't many food items i'd use it in, preferring
> something more interesting.

Apple cider vinagar is a pretty good "all round" vinegar to have on hand,
blake, plus it's cheap...

White vinegar I purchase by the gallon for cleaning purposes, it's very
effective, and also cheaper than all those over-priced cleaning products...

I use a little for cooking, but not much...

--
Best
Greg