Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rome

We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

Our first fountain (at the train station)
http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg

The deli at the train station where we got a snack before walking to
our hotel http://i36.tinypic.com/2np2t5.jpg

The hotel http://www.hotelducadalba.com/

Afternoon snack near the hotel - Pizza!
http://i34.tinypic.com/2m81su8.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/16ixhxf.jpg

We slept for a few hours and didn’t feel like going out for dinner
although there were several places within steps of the hotel, so we
ate leftover pizza and drank complimentary wine.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ymc84n.jpg

Breakfast was unbelievable! I’ll take the camera with me tomorrow
morning. What was I thinking?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.
>
> Our first fountain (at the train station)
> http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg
>
> The deli at the train station where we got a snack before walking to
> our hotel http://i36.tinypic.com/2np2t5.jpg
>
> The hotel http://www.hotelducadalba.com/
>
> Afternoon snack near the hotel - Pizza!
> http://i34.tinypic.com/2m81su8.jpg
> http://i37.tinypic.com/16ixhxf.jpg
>
> We slept for a few hours and didn't feel like going out for dinner
> although there were several places within steps of the hotel, so we
> ate leftover pizza and drank complimentary wine.
>
> http://i37.tinypic.com/2ymc84n.jpg
>
> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
> morning. What was I thinking?

So coool! Take the train to Florence asap! Don't believe anything the Romas
say about Florence or Tuscany! And watch out for the Gypsy children ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

sf wrote:
> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

Yeah sure you did. As you set at home or sleep at home in your own bed.
Nothing in the headers of your post indicates otherwise. Nice try.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

me wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

> Yeah sure you did. As you set at home or sleep at home in your own
> bed. Nothing in the headers of your post indicates otherwise. Nice
> try.

Oooooooooooooh there goes the green eyed monster)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
> morning. What was I thinking?

That's a bit odd to me; I never thought Italians went in much for lavish
breakfasts. (When I lived in Italy, our standard breakfast was a roll, fruit
and/or juice, and espresso.) Was this perhaps a place which caters to
foreigners?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> me wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

>> Yeah sure you did. As you set at home or sleep at home in your own
>> bed. Nothing in the headers of your post indicates otherwise. Nice
>> try.

> Oooooooooooooh there goes the green eyed monster)

I have this asshole kfed, apparently. BTW, the "back forty" is a reference
to old farm days, "the back 40 acres" they would plow/plant/work after
having a heavy dinner like we did tonight! Only we have no farm and push
paper for a living!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Some cowering simpleton wrote from her parents' basement:

>> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

> Yeah sure you did. As you set at home or sleep at home in your own bed.
> Nothing in the headers of your post indicates otherwise. Nice try.

New to this stuff, huh? Can you tell where *I* am? Can you even tell what my
IP address is, or what my ISP is? No? Well, how about that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> me wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

>> Yeah sure you did. As you set at home or sleep at home in your own
>> bed. Nothing in the headers of your post indicates otherwise. Nice
>> try.

> Oooooooooooooh there goes the green eyed monster)

Meanwhile, tell this asshole that headers do not show IP or any other
indicator of location in easynews.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
>> morning. What was I thinking?

> That's a bit odd to me; I never thought Italians went in much for
> lavish breakfasts. (When I lived in Italy, our standard breakfast was
> a roll, fruit and/or juice, and espresso.)

Exactly, almost always only sweet things, savoury foods are uncommon here.

> Was this perhaps a place
> which caters to foreigners?

Almost every italian hotel offers international breakfasta nowadays, that's
why you can find many savoury things and other things we usually don't have
for breakfast.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

sf, welcome to Italy

> Our first fountain (at the train station)
> http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg
>
> The deli at the train station where we got a snack before walking to
> our hotel http://i36.tinypic.com/2np2t5.jpg
>
> The hotel http://www.hotelducadalba.com/
>
> Afternoon snack near the hotel - Pizza!
> http://i34.tinypic.com/2m81su8.jpg
> http://i37.tinypic.com/16ixhxf.jpg

Your first italian pizza, the bakery style one, very good start. What are
you waiting for a round, pizzeria syle pizza? Roma has it's very own
style.
BTW, that place has a very nice assortment.

If you tell me how long are you staying and where, I can suggest you some
renowned places for many things, from pizzerias to restaurants. There's
plenty of discussion on the topic, on the italian newsgroups.

> We slept for a few hours and didn't feel like going out for dinner
> although there were several places within steps of the hotel, so we
> ate leftover pizza and drank complimentary wine.
>
> http://i37.tinypic.com/2ymc84n.jpg
>
> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
> morning. What was I thinking?

LOL
Are you going to pay a visit to Giusi? Where are you going to be in this
vacation?
Merry traveling
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>>> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
>>> morning. What was I thinking?

>> That's a bit odd to me; I never thought Italians went in much for
>> lavish breakfasts. (When I lived in Italy, our standard breakfast was
>> a roll, fruit and/or juice, and espresso.)

> Exactly, almost always only sweet things, savoury foods are uncommon here.
>
>> Was this perhaps a place
>> which caters to foreigners?

> Almost every italian hotel offers international breakfasta nowadays,
> that's why you can find many savoury things and other things we usually
> don't have for breakfast.
> --

SF is in a hotel that clearly caters to Americans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>
>> Afternoon snack near the hotel - Pizza!
>> http://i34.tinypic.com/2m81su8.jpg
>> http://i37.tinypic.com/16ixhxf.jpg

> With that blue Hawaiian shirt you have "TOURIST" written all over you.
>
> -sw

You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes them look
like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with looking like a
tourist....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> Afternoon snack near the hotel - Pizza!
>>> http://i34.tinypic.com/2m81su8.jpg
>>> http://i37.tinypic.com/16ixhxf.jpg

>> With that blue Hawaiian shirt you have "TOURIST" written all over
>> you. -sw

> You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes them
> look like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with looking
> like a tourist....

Are you sure! You seem to have a very snobby attitude! Do you always want
people to think you are local? Why the hell does it matter?? Let her enjoy
her holiday for goodness sake!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:57:16 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Almost every italian hotel offers international breakfasta nowadays, that's
>why you can find many savoury things and other things we usually don't have
>for breakfast.

Thank god because I hate sweets for breakfast, especially when they
are baked goods. Waffles and pancakes get a pass.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 07:09:30 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>SF is in a hotel that clearly caters to Americans.

and other foreigners, including Italians. It's a business so they
have something for everyone.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:04:28 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

>sf, welcome to Italy

Thank you, I'm having a great time!

>I can suggest you some
>renowned places for many things, from pizzerias to restaurants. There's
>plenty of discussion on the topic, on the italian newsgroups.

Thanks, I'd love some suggestions... but I think we'll be able to make
good choices on our own. We walk and read menus, look at table that
have been served and make our decisions that way. Unlike the person
who complained about food in Paris, I don't need to eat in 5 star
restaurants to be happy with the food.

>> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
>> morning. What was I thinking?

>LOL
>Are you going to pay a visit to Giusi?

Unfortunately, we're both on vacation at the same time. I don't think
she's close to Rome, but I think we will be in her area at some point.
I emailed Pandora at an old address I dug up from google. It hasn't
come back so it must be good, but I haven't heard from her. I believe
she was in a suburb of Rome. I don't remember now other than I
thought she was close.

>Where are you going to be in this vacation?

After 7 days in Rome, I'm boarding a ship for a 28 day cruise. We'll
make several stops in Italy and Greece, and one each in Croatia,
Turkey and Egypt.

>Merry traveling

Thank you! I'll be online while in Rome but not so much or not at all
onboard the ship. Internet access is free here at this hotel, but I
heard it's very pricey (like the bad old days of paying by the minute
in the USA) onboard the ship.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:19:34 -0500, "Anthony" > wrote:

>You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes them look
>like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with looking like a
>tourist....

Frankly, I don't care if I look like a tourist or not. So far nobody
else cares (in a negative way) either. In fact, I prefer to be known
as a tourist. My euros are the same color as every one else's. When
you're nice, people are nice back. It's a fact of life. It doesn't
matter if you speak the language or not - assholes are the same no
matter what language they speak and they are treated accordingly.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:39:16 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Anthony wrote:

>>> With that blue Hawaiian shirt you have "TOURIST" written all over
>>> you. -sw

>> You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes them
>> look like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with looking
>> like a tourist....

>Are you sure! You seem to have a very snobby attitude! Do you always want
>people to think you are local? Why the hell does it matter?? Let her enjoy
>her holiday for goodness sake!!!!!

I think that was a little joke, O. I wasn't offended at all.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:19:34 -0500, "Anthony" > wrote:
>
>> You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes
>> them look like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with
>> looking like a tourist....

> Frankly, I don't care if I look like a tourist or not. So far nobody
> else cares (in a negative way) either. In fact, I prefer to be known
> as a tourist. My euros are the same color as every one else's. When
> you're nice, people are nice back. It's a fact of life. It doesn't
> matter if you speak the language or not - assholes are the same no
> matter what language they speak and they are treated accordingly.

oh yes!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:39:16 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Anthony wrote:

>>> You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes
>>> them look like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with
>>> looking like a tourist....

>> Are you sure! You seem to have a very snobby attitude! Do you
>> always want people to think you are local? Why the hell does it
>> matter?? Let her enjoy her holiday for goodness sake!!!!!

> I think that was a little joke, O. I wasn't offended at all.

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-24, sf > wrote:

> Our first fountain (at the train station)
> http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg

Somehow, I envisioned something just a tad more ornate.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:05:42 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-09-24, sf > wrote:
>
>> Our first fountain (at the train station)
>> http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg

>Somehow, I envisioned something just a tad more ornate.

I hoped someone would get a chuckle out of that. I met my goal of
one. YAY!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-24, sf > wrote:

> I hoped someone would get a chuckle out of that. I met my goal of
> one. YAY!

heh heh....

Yeah, that's me ...easily amused.

Keep the great pics, coming. Try and get one of a scooter. Nothing
says Italy like a young guy or gal wizzing past or just posing on a
Vespa.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:05:42 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-09-24, sf > wrote:
>
>> Our first fountain (at the train station)
>> http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg

>Somehow, I envisioned something just a tad more ornate.
>
>nb

I am no expert, but when we were in Firenze, I figured those were
places, where in ancient times, towns people could get water. Really
stretching here, but aqueducts comes to mind. IIRC Romans figured how
to move water and make it accessible far away from the source which
was remarkable. I believe this type of "fountain" is one.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:27:29 -0700, sf > wrote:

>We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

ary wine.

>http://i37.tinypic.com/2ymc84n.jpg
>
>Breakfast was unbelievable! I’ll take the camera with me tomorrow
>morning. What was I thinking?

Thanks for the photos! Envious here. The Hotel is very deluxe
looking and I think I'd spend time just enjoying that. lol

The deli photos are so Italian. Everything is beautiful and tastes
just about as good. The pizza photos look so yummy! I love Italian
casual food.

Thanks so much.

aloha,
Cea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:28:40 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Keep the great pics, coming. Try and get one of a scooter. Nothing
>says Italy like a young guy or gal wizzing past or just posing on a
>Vespa.

Would you like a picture of mass parked scooters or one that is
running me down? I can do either one.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:31:58 -1000, pure kona >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:05:42 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2009-09-24, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> Our first fountain (at the train station)
>>> http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg

>>Somehow, I envisioned something just a tad more ornate.
>>
>>nb

>I am no expert, but when we were in Firenze, I figured those were
>places, where in ancient times, towns people could get water. Really
>stretching here, but aqueducts comes to mind. IIRC Romans figured how
>to move water and make it accessible far away from the source which
>was remarkable. I believe this type of "fountain" is one.

People now refill their water bottles at them. It's kinda cool
actually.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-24, sf > wrote:

> Would you like a picture of mass parked scooters or one that is
> running me down? I can do either one.

lol....

The "mass parked" will do. I'm a machine buff. OTOH, if you run
across a statuesque Italian lass with a revealing cargo rack and no
scooter at all, that will suffice.

nb ...old but not dead
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pure kona" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:05:42 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2009-09-24, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> Our first fountain (at the train station)
>>> http://i37.tinypic.com/r7ud5h.jpg

>>Somehow, I envisioned something just a tad more ornate.
>>
>>nb

> I am no expert, but when we were in Firenze, I figured those were
> places, where in ancient times, towns people could get water. Really
> stretching here, but aqueducts comes to mind. IIRC Romans figured how
> to move water and make it accessible far away from the source which
> was remarkable. I believe this type of "fountain" is one.

You bet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:19:34 -0500, "Anthony" > wrote:
>
>>You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes them look
>>like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with looking like a
>>tourist....

> Frankly, I don't care if I look like a tourist or not. So far nobody
> else cares (in a negative way) either. In fact, I prefer to be known
> as a tourist. My euros are the same color as every one else's. When
> you're nice, people are nice back. It's a fact of life. It doesn't
> matter if you speak the language or not - assholes are the same no
> matter what language they speak and they are treated accordingly.

I walked around staring with my mouth open taking pictures of everything. If
you are not so bowled over by Italy the first few times you go that this is
what you so, you need to hang up your Ugly American passport and stay home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>>> Almost every italian hotel offers international breakfasta nowadays,
>>> that's why you can find many savoury things and other things we
>>> usually don't have for breakfast.

>> SF is in a hotel that clearly caters to Americans.

> I didn't notice it. What in particular makes you thnik that? The use of
> certain words?

Did you have a look at the web site?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Sep 24, 4:42 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
(When I lived in Italy, our standard breakfast was a roll, fruit
> and/or juice, and espresso.) Was this perhaps a place which caters to
> foreigners?
>
> Bob

>Well, THIS foreigner only saw those rolls when there --- oops, I mean
>those rocks. One morning I broke up about six of 'em, just so they
>wouldn't be served to the next traveler. Even dunkin' 'em did nothing
>to soften those rocks.

Mmm hmmmm. The suckass quality of the cat food you feed tells me you were in
the rock-bottom hole hotel of the century. The inexpensive pensione I stayed
in had lovely home-baked rolls, jams, cheeses, and excellent coffee every
morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Anthony wrote:

>>> With that blue Hawaiian shirt you have "TOURIST" written all over
>>> you. -sw

>> You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes them
>> look like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with looking
>> like a tourist....

> Are you sure! You seem to have a very snobby attitude! Do you always
> want people to think you are local? Why the hell does it matter?? Let her
> enjoy her holiday for goodness sake!!!!!

Sweet Ms. O., if you are going to allow every asshole in Usenet to upset
you, you will stay upset.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 01:42:47 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>

>> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
>> morning. What was I thinking?

>That's a bit odd to me; I never thought Italians went in much for lavish
>breakfasts. (When I lived in Italy, our standard breakfast was a roll, fruit
>and/or juice, and espresso.)

Why on earth do you think it's odd? Scratch that. I really don't
want to know.

>Was this perhaps a place which caters to foreigners?
>
>Bob

No shit, Sherlock. I doubt many Romans book a room there here.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 01:18:26 -0700, me > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

>Yeah sure you did. As you set at home or sleep at home in your own bed.
>Nothing in the headers of your post indicates otherwise. Nice try.

<shrug> I haven't changed this computer's time from my home time and
you certainly can't tell where in the world I'm posting by my headers,
Dumbo.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> Anthony wrote:

>>> You don't think taking pictures of pizza in a display case makes
>>> them look like tourists? Not that there's anything wrong with
>>> looking like a tourist....

>> Are you sure! You seem to have a very snobby attitude! Do you
>> always want people to think you are local? Why the hell does it
>> matter?? Let her enjoy her holiday for goodness sake!!!!!

> Sweet Ms. O., if you are going to allow every asshole in Usenet to
> upset you, you will stay upset.

I know. I just thought he was mean!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> cybercat wrote:

>>> Are you sure! You seem to have a very snobby attitude! Do you
>>> always want people to think you are local? Why the hell does it
>>> matter?? Let her enjoy her holiday for goodness sake!!!!!

>> Sweet Ms. O., if you are going to allow every asshole in Usenet to
>> upset you, you will stay upset.

> I know. I just thought he was mean!

Stupid people are often mean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 01:42:47 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>

>>> Breakfast was unbelievable! I'll take the camera with me tomorrow
>>> morning. What was I thinking?

>>That's a bit odd to me; I never thought Italians went in much for lavish
>>breakfasts. (When I lived in Italy, our standard breakfast was a roll,
>>fruit
>>and/or juice, and espresso.)

> Why on earth do you think it's odd? Scratch that. I really don't
> want to know.
>
>>Was this perhaps a place which caters to foreigners?
>>
>>Bob
>>

> No shit, Sherlock. I doubt many Romans book a room there here.

I missed my American breakfasts while in Italy. I would have been happy to
stay at a luxury hotel and have a big American breakfast, then do as the
Italians do the rest of the day! (I think they don't have big breakfasts
because of the customary large mid-day meal.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> We arrived in Rome by train from the airport.

Have an absolute ball, Barb! Don't get your butt pinched.

Dora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:57:16 GMT, "ViLco" > wrote:
>
>>Almost every italian hotel offers international breakfasta nowadays,
>>that's
>>why you can find many savoury things and other things we usually don't
>>have
>>for breakfast.

> Thank god because I hate sweets for breakfast, especially when they
> are baked goods. Waffles and pancakes get a pass.

We always found some meats and cheese, sometimes eggs.

Restaurants in Rome iClaudio General Cooking 8 29-09-2015 10:22 PM
Rome Day 3 sf[_19_] General Cooking 70 12-10-2009 02:26 PM
Rome - day 2 sf[_19_] General Cooking 28 30-09-2009 04:35 PM
Restaur-art in Rome Federina General Cooking 0 22-09-2008 12:17 PM
Eating out in Rome (Italy) rie Restaurants 3 18-12-2003 07:49 PM